Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

faceman wrote: »
    Here’s a couple of photos taken from my lunchtime run today of 2 of the most popular beaches in my Spanish neighbourhood. These beaches are usually very popular with Irish, English and European visitors not to mention the Spanish weekenders. (Granted U.K. travellers aren’t permitted in to Spain at the moment)

https://ibb.co/jWnkVp0
    https://ibb.co/JcCFzkr

As you can see they’re empty.

Where are all these Irish jetsetters taking the luscious short breaks and holidays? Over the past month I’ve not met 1 Irish person visiting Spain on a short term visit.

Meanwhile nearly 2,400 confirmed covid cases in Ireland in the past 24 hours are free to leave their house as they please.

You'll have to explain what point you are trying to make.
    There are empty beaches in Spain - understood.
    There were 2,400 cases in Ireland yesterday - understood.

What connection are you making in your own head between one that should help to inform your opinion on how to deal with the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Now they are getting their knickers in a twist about imaginary holiday makers who are apparently 'jetting off' on holiday. I've yet to meet anyone who has gone on holiday this month in January. Just more hyped up propaganda for the cameras and to keep the government looking somewhat good so they can say they did something at the doorsteps, utterly laughable.

Gardai love a good photo opportunity. Look at the overwhelming stream of holiday makers in those photos...

Meanwhile nearly 2,400 confirmed covid cases in Ireland in the past 24 hours are free to leave their house as they please.

Actually, that is not true. The law states people must stay at home, except for certain activities

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You'll have to explain what point you are trying to make.
    There are empty beaches in Spain - understood.
    There were 2,400 cases in Ireland yesterday - understood.

What connection are you making in your own head between one that should help to inform your opinion on how to deal with the other?

If you need something as simple as this explained to you, I’m not sure it’s worth continuing any engagement with you further

RobitTV wrote: »
    Now they are getting their knickers in a twist about imaginary holiday makers who are apparently 'jetting off' on holiday. I've yet to meet anyone who has gone on holiday this month in January. Just more hyped up propaganda for the cameras and to keep the government looking somewhat good so they can say they did something at the doorsteps, utterly laughable.

Gardai love a good photo opportunity. Look at the hoarders of holiday makers in those photos...

Hardly hyped-up propaganda now is it? Simply a reminder to people that they are checking. Simply a deterrent. Not worth getting your own knickers in a twist.

And actually a good reminder to help any eejit who thought they'd book a weekend getaway because nobody was checking.

Coming up to Christmas or even bank holidays, the Guards will post information and photos to remind that they are checking for drunk drivers. "hyped up propaganda" too I suppose.

Reminding people that they are checking for non-essential journeys is no more claiming that "hoarders" (sic) of people are going on holidays than having a drink-driving checkpoint would be claiming that "hoarders" are driving while pissed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

The anti travel brigade are out in force this week since quarantine was mentioned by politicians and driven by the media since. Numbers have been high for 4 weeks now and not a word from the pillars of society on here about travel being the cause until now. Of course none of these outstanding members of society broke no rules over Christmas, didn't go to a pub or didn't call to someone's house or have visitors around. They'll just move onto the next subject RTE come up with next week.

Like most things travel can be done safely with the correct precautions taken.

If you need something as simple as this explained to you, I’m not sure it’s worth continuing any engagement with you further

Ah, thought so.

Well at least after thinking about it you were able to realise that it was a wholly nonsensical post and that you actually had no point to make!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

bubblypop wrote: »
    Actually, that is not true. The law states people must stay at home, except for certain activities

Are you sure? Last time I checked it wasn’t a statutory requirement. But either way it’s not enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

The problem with travel is theres a lot outside of your control. Look at the scenes in Heathrow over the last few days.
    fm wrote: »
    The anti travel brigade are out in force this week since quarantine was mentioned by politicians and driven by the media since. Numbers have been high for 4 weeks now and not a word from the pillars of society on here about travel being the cause until now. Of course none of these outstanding members of society broke no rules over Christmas, didn't go to a pub or didn't call to someone's house or have visitors around. They'll just move onto the next subject RTE come up with next week.

Like most things travel can be done safely with the correct precautions taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Technically, you are correct.

The law makes no distinction between people who are COVID positive, people who have been identified as close contacts, and the rest of the population.

If we are going to advocate to lock people who arrive in this country via ports and airports (responsible for a fraction of 1% of cases here) in hotel rooms, (which in certain circumstances I'm not against), then we need to get very serious about containing the rest of the population, including cross border travel.

GPs are reporting that their patients are coming to them having had symptoms for many days already (and not having been self isolating).
    Positive cases have gone to work. Close contacts are not restricting movements.
    THIS is where the majority of our cases are happening. In healthcare settings and in the community.
    The narrative is trying to plug the tiny holes at the ports (not a bad thing in principal) while there are almighty gashes elsewhere that we are ignoring.

A zero COVID approach only works when all transmission is shut down.

• Advertisement

Hardly hyped-up propaganda now is it? Simply a reminder to people that they are checking. Simply a deterrent. Not worth getting your own knickers in a twist.

And actually a good reminder to help any eejit who thought they'd book a weekend getaway because nobody was checking.

Coming up to Christmas or even bank holidays, the Guards will post information and photos to remind that they are checking for drunk drivers. "hyped up propaganda" too I suppose.

Reminding people that they are checking for non-essential journeys is no more claiming that "hoarders" (sic) of people are going on holidays than having a drink-driving checkpoint would be claiming that "hoarders" are driving while pissed

Complete nonsense, where do you even begin with this one - *when did I* or how could you even begin to suggest that information about drink driving would be in the same category? What a bizarre comparison. Drink driving is immensely serious and has been for decades. Please use a better comparison next time, even if you cant think of something appropriate to reply with.

Imagine comparing people who travel (who get a PCR test done beforehand) depending on the destination, to drunk drivers. You really believe in your own hysteria.

Are you sure? Last time I checked it wasn’t a statutory requirement. But either way it’s not enforced

I don't know about that. There are somehow relevant photos of a beach in Spain a few posts back that look pretty empty.

Those 2400 are obviously staying in their houses if the beach is empty!

Complete nonsense, *when did I* or how could you even begin to suggest that information about drunk driving would be in the same category? What a bizarre comparison. Drunk driving is immensely serious and has been for decades. Please use a better comparison next time, even if you cant think of something appropriate to reply with.

Imagine comparing people who travel (who get a PCR test done beforehand) depending on the destination, to drunk drivers. You really believe in your own hysteria.

Only one hysterical is yourself dude.

Picture of Guards doing a checkpoint and your knickers are in a massive twist.

Now, please take a deep breath before you read the below:
    The Guards actually have a Traffic Corp! That spend their days doing checkpoints and similar traffic checks. All day, every day.

It is the law. And It is enforced

Only one hysterical is yourself dude.

Picture of Guards doing a checkpoint and your knickers are in a massive twist.

Now, please take a deep breath before you read the below:
    The Guards actually have a Traffic Corp? That spend their days doing checkpoints and similar traffic checks. All day, every day.

Dont you just love it, accusing someone else of being 'hysterical' while being rather hysterical themselves, welcome to Ireland 2021. Have you made a point yet?

You seem to be lost, have you read the thread title? It's called 'Will YOU travel' emphasis on the you, because it's a discussion about each individual. Why are you remaining here if you aren't going to discuss travel? Rather unusual

I've enjoyed our little discussion, thanks and goodbye.

It is the law. And It is enforced

Great. That’s a start. Sounds like confirmed covid cases don’t need to be put in to a mandatory quarantine facility so...

Well accusing someone else of being 'hysterical' while being rather hysterical themselves, welcome to Ireland 2021. Have you made a point yet?

You seem to be lost, have you read the thread title? It's called 'Will YOU travel' emphasis on the you, because it's a discussion about each individual. Why are you remaining here if you aren't going to discuss travel? Rather unusual

I've enjoyed our little discussion, thanks and goodbye.

Only pointing out simple facts to you dude. The Guards have a special section that do checkpoints. There is one point for you (no pun intended)

Why are you here sure if that is the only purpose of the thread? Perhaps it should be a collection of one word posts, one from each poster, either saying "yes" or "no"? Would be an even shitter thread IMO.

Great. That’s a start. Sounds like confirmed covid cases don’t need to be put in to a mandatory quarantine facility so...

There is actually a section of the health act that allows for forced quarantine for positive cases.

Only pointing out simple facts to you dude.

Why are you here sure if that is the only purpose of the thread? Perhaps it should be a collection of one word posts, one from each poster, either saying "yes" or "no"? Would be an even shitter thread IMO.

This thread is here to dicuss travel plans or for people to ask questions about PCR testing, or the current situation in each country. It's been a very handy thread for people looking for help about the travel restrictions in Ireland and abroad.

This thread, according to you, would get "****ter" and you still remain here as if you are being held hostage. Don't mind us, the door is wide open.

• Advertisement

This thread is here to dicuss travel plans or for people to ask questions about PCR testing or the current situation in each country. It's been a very handy thread for people looking for help.

This thread, according to you, would get "****ter" and you still remain here as if you are being held hostage. Don't mind us, the door is wide open.

I've only posted a few times on it in the last few minutes. If I posted on it before, it must have been weeks ago.

Why are you so angry? Are you stressed over something?

Just put him on ignore. I have. We can continue to talk about travel without these guys trying their best to derail the thread.

Last nights doomfest as only made me want to get out of here more, and my plan is to this weekend book my flights and Airbnb in Valencia for next month. That’s typically been my ‘go to’ winter place, and am looking for go for about a month. Restrictions and curfews etc are much more palatable when the prices of really high end accommodation are so cheap. I was there toward the end of last year and was a breath of fresh air from the negativity of Ireland. Helps that I speak Spanish, but in my experience the locals there have been very welcome of visitors

That is an excellent idea I hope it goes well for you. Spending time in Spain would really make yourself feel much better. I'm booked for Lanzarote in March, fingers crossed everything will go to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

I think we all need to report deliberately provocative and insulting posts. This is a thread about travel. Posters are more than entitled to express being opposed to travel in the current environment. But I don't think anybody should have to endure being insulted and belittled because they wish to or personally need to travel during the pandemic.

acequion wrote: »
    I think we all need to report deliberately provocative and insulting posts. This is a thread about travel. Posters are more than entitled to express being opposed to travel in the current environment. But I don't think anybody should have to endure being insulted and belittled because they wish to or personally need to travel during the pandemic.

I'm all for freedom of opinion and debate, but there is no reason for people to be attacked and demonized for attempting to travel and move themselves to another location that is usually even safer then Ireland. Completely unnecessary.

Civility is the key in any debate, but that is increasingly being lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I've booked Vegas for November and its the only thing keeping me sane. Even if I have to go through Turkey or Mexico to get there, I'll be going. Although at that point maybe direct travel will be opened for the vaccinated. Who knows anymore.

Having it in my mind that I'm going to matter what it takes has done wonders for my mental health, to have something to look forward to - as opposed to a daily barrage of misery which never once stopped in this country, even when we had 0-5 cases per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

What's the story with Turkey? are they going PCR/Mask crazy or is it pretty much business as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I couldn't agree more with you....that being the case can you delete your earlier post where you said the following to me....

People like your good self and this chap/lassie fisgon, who swung by earlier, claim to be big travellers and ever so annoyed too about restrictions on travel, yet I get the strong impression that the opposite is the case.

I felt- to use your own words- insulted and belittled by your comments.

Things work both ways-

I don't think anybody should have to endure being insulted and belittled because they wish to or personally need to travel during the pandemic.- equally those who wish NOT to travel during the pandemic should not be insulted and belittled.

acequion wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Maybe you shouldn't belittle those that have travelled and are travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I'm all for freedom of opinion and debate, but there is no reason for people to be attacked and demonized for attempting to travel and move themselves to another location that is usually even safer then Ireland. Completely unnecessary.

Civility is the key in any debate, but that is increasingly being lost.

Guys - thank for trying to keep this thread on travelling. If another thread emerges that is solely to do with people who actually are travelling, or looking forward to doing so, I’ll be there.

• Advertisement

What's the story with Turkey? are they going PCR/Mask crazy or is it pretty much business as usual?

The only people I know who were in Turkey recently spent 2 weeks in hospital with Covid 19
    One of them was medivac'ed home

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement