Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

acequion wrote: »
    There's no doubt that there are some who are loving the uncertainty all this is causing for travellers. As the expression goes, they're fattening on it. This pandemic sure has exposed a nasty underbelly.

This has been a weekend of utter gloom with nothing but bad news all round and some are writing off foreign travel plans for the entire year. I think that's unwise. People did the same last year and those of us who took the plunge and went away really appreciated the experience. It could be the same this year. It's much too early for panic and defeatism.

I think it's very hard to plan so it will have to be a case of wait and see. If we can get over this third wave and things stabilise lots of people will take to the skies again. The majority won't be on social media talking about it. They'll just do it and more luck to them. I intend to be one of them.

What is this victim mentality about? You seem to be creating some sense exceptionalism in your head implying that there are some special people in the category of "travellers" and then some "others" who don't travel. It's condescending and sneering.

You've admitted to breaking restrictions in your post and you are encouraging others to do so in the future if they are still in place. This is the only place on boards.ie that I have seen it allowed where posters are allowed to actively encourage others to break the law.

I don't see anything wrong with anyone coming on here and saying "I've booked a trip to X in Y and hopefully the restrictions will be finished by then". But you shouldn't be coming on here encouraging people that if restrictions aren't lifted, that they should break the law anyway and just go.

I mean of course you have people who just don't care and will have no consideration of others even when epidemiological experts worldwide stress the importance of cutting out unnecessary travel. Those experts do this based on evidence. The people break restrictions based on selfishness. Scientists are being too conservative.

And on the other side of the extreme, you had the experts and scientists presenting actual evidence that schools were a low risk environment, especially when numbers were low. But still on this site, even back in September when numbers were relatively very low compared to now, you had teachers calling for strikes to prolong their mid term breaks to stem the spread. Scientists are not begin conservative enough.

So some people are happy to ignore the science when it suits them personally. Where you would get an interesting cognitive dissonance would be if you find someone who is against a low risk (in terms of potential risk to overall society) activity of teaching in schools going ahead, but is actively partaking in, and encouraging others to partake in, the high risk (in terms of potential risk to overall society) activity of travelling.

I'd say to anyone to book if they want to book. But only go if there are no restrictions against it at the time. I have tentative plans to go somewhere in Oct. Not booked yet but I hope that I can go. I won't travel if it's not allowed though. The flights are refundable at least.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can they stop people traveling to Dublin Airport if it's outside of their 5KM? You are leaving the country, so I can't imagine they can physically stop you.

Could fine you though.

Really? I thought leaving the country would be deemed as something that's 'exempt' as to leave the country you need to go further than 5KM.

If you can show them it's essential then I suppose you'd get away with it.

If you are heading for a flight then you wouldn't be in a great position to get smart with the Guard because if you were being an arsehole and trying to take the piss then I'd imagine that they could easily cause you to miss your flight.

Really? I thought leaving the country would be deemed as something that's 'exempt' as to leave the country you need to go further than 5KM.

Going on holiday is not an essential journey. If you are leaving the country for an essential reason, then it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Could fine you though.

Yes, but it's not illegal to leave the country to go on holidays, just the 5km limit is the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

What is this victim mentality about? You seem to be creating some sense exceptionalism in your head implying that there are some special people in the category of "travellers" and then some "others" who don't travel. It's condescending and sneering.

You've admitted to breaking restrictions in your post and you are encouraging others to do so in the future if they are still in place. This is the only place on boards.ie that I have seen it allowed where posters are allowed to actively encourage others to break the law.

I don't see anything wrong with anyone coming on here and saying "I've booked a trip to X in Y and hopefully the restrictions will be finished by then". But you shouldn't be coming on here encouraging people that if restrictions aren't lifted, that they should break the law anyway and just go.

I mean of course you have people who just don't care and will have no consideration of others even when epidemiological experts worldwide stress the importance of cutting out unnecessary travel. Those experts do this based on evidence. The people break restrictions based on selfishness. Scientists are being too conservative.

And on the other side of the extreme, you had the experts and scientists presenting actual evidence that schools were a low risk environment, especially when numbers were low. But still on this site, even back in September when numbers were relatively very low compared to now, you had teachers calling for strikes to prolong their mid term breaks to stem the spread. Scientists are not begin conservative enough.

So some people are happy to ignore the science when it suits them personally. Where you would get an interesting cognitive dissonance would be if you find someone who is against a low risk (in terms of potential risk to overall society) activity of teaching in schools going ahead, but is actively partaking in, and encouraging others to partake in, the high risk (in terms of potential risk to overall society) activity of travelling.

I'd say to anyone to book if they want to book. But only go if there are no restrictions against it at the time. I have tentative plans to go somewhere in Oct. Not booked yet but I hope that I can go. I won't travel if it's not allowed though. The flights are refundable at least.

Wow! One read of this post makes it clear how Ireland has become an utterly miserable place devoid of any empathy with people like you acting like a judge and jury trying to rob people of their freedom of expression.

All I'll say before I do get out of here is I've admitted to breaking no restrictions because I've never broken restrictions. So read posts clearly before making such crazy statements! I've done what's asked of me all throughout this crisis but I'm no slave to increasingly prohibitive diktats. Also, foreign travel is still fully legal and permissible so to imply that anybody on here encouraging people to travel on a travel forum, if that's what they wish to do, is either breaking the law or breaking the laws of boards.ie is absurd.

I have absolutely no desire to engage with you and will not be responding to you again.

I stand corrected.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1352938773458378752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1352938773458378752%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058088164page%3D118

How does one prove that a true abroad is essential trip? What's deemed essential? Seems messy and arbitrary. E.g clean cut reasons like funeral or moving abroad are easy - traveling abroad to visit family as you don't have any in the country, you could argue both essential (mental health etc) and non-essential.

Same as any reason you give at a checkpoint I guess!
    essential reasons to leave your house are outlined in legislation, so I suppose of its one of those, then no worries.
    If you say 'I'm off on my jollies for a week of sun, drink and good food, just for the craic' I guess the guard could say that's not essential....

I stand corrected.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1352938773458378752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1352938773458378752%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058088164page%3D118

How does one prove that a true abroad is essential trip? What's deemed essential? Seems messy and arbitrary. E.g clean cut reasons like funeral or moving abroad are easy - traveling abroad to visit family as you don't have any in the country, you could argue both essential (mental health etc) and non-essential.

I'd imagine that they aren't checking too thoroughly. But if you chancing your arm and taking the risk then that is up to you if you are pulled up on it. You might be issued with a fine up front and have it be on yourself to appeal the fine or fight it in court maybe.

If you have an "essential mental health reason" then you could present your doctor/psychiatrists letter.

Wow! One read of this post makes it clear how Ireland has become an utterly miserable place devoid of any empathy with people like you acting like a judge and jury trying to rob people of their freedom of expression.

All I'll say before I do get out of here is I've admitted to breaking no restrictions because I've never broken restrictions. So read posts clearly before making such crazy statements! I've done what's asked of me all throughout this crisis but I'm no slave to increasingly prohibitive diktats. Also, foreign travel is still fully legal and permissible so to imply that anybody on here encouraging people to travel on a travel forum, if that's what they wish to do, is either breaking the law or breaking the laws of boards.ie is absurd.

I have absolutely no desire to engage with you and will not be responding to you again.

Must have touched a nerve I guess.

It is against the law to break restrictions. You can get fined.

fm wrote: »
    Yes, but it's not illegal to leave the country to go on holidays, just the 5km limit is the issue

Not true.
    The law states you must stay at home except for certain essential reasons, as outlined.
    Exercise is subject.to a 5km limit from home, nothing else.
    Holidays are not essential.

So, leave the country but don't be annoyed if gardai stop you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

There's a checkpoint outside Cork airport this morning, there is only 1 flight leaving for Heathrow today. I mean come on, its ridiculous and a complete waste of time of garda resources, a very important one.

I don't care if people go on holidays but you need to know that it is breaking the restrictions to go on holiday.
    People who do go away need to stop giving abuse to those who are abiding by restrictions.

There is nothing wrong with people respecting the law, they are not miserable, they are merely doing what they are supposed to do.

I don't plan on traveling any time soon, I just don't really see how they can actively police it, but I'd imagine it's just to act as a deterrent (eg the tweet above) versus to actually stop people who are already going to the airport.

You'd assume most people traveling would have a essential reason, and those that are just going on a holiday, would have an excuse prepared, and my understanding is the guards don't / can't ask for proof so...

As bubblypop said it would be the same as at any checkpoint.
    Most people who shouldn't be there will blag their way through. But you still hear of fines being issued so not everyone gets through.

It would depend on the context I suppose. If you roll up to the checkpoint with a couple up front and three kids in the back and present your family flight tickets to Lanzarote then you probably have a more difficult blag than the single Italian in a taxi who presents their ticket and says they are moving home.

There's a checkpoint outside Cork airport this morning, there is only 1 flight leaving for Heathrow today. I mean come on, its ridiculous and a complete waste of time of garda resources, a very important one.

Having to have gardai police a public health issue is a waste of time all over.
    However, I suppose when people do not comply, they have to have some type of policing.
    It would be much better if AGS were not involved at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Just an observation folks.... It's very interesting to note that certain regular contributors to this thread who apparently have no problem in encouraging travel abroad at any costs are the very people who have in the past said what their profession is - that same profession who very recently through the power of their union have dug their heels in and refused to return to work. Meanwhile the heros of our frontline services don't have that same luxury. Oh the hipocrosy!!

bubblypop wrote: »
    I don't care if people go on holidays but you need to know that it is breaking the restrictions to go on holiday.
    People who do go away need to stop giving abuse to those who are abiding by restrictions.

There is nothing wrong with people respecting the law, they are not miserable, they are merely doing what they are supposed to do.

And people who don't go away need to stop giving abuse to people who do go away.

Ireland is no longer an island in anything other than geography. For the past 50 years travel has become a way of life for a large number of its residents. We're in the Eu, always had close ties to Britain so we are now very intertwined with other countries. As I've said here countless times there are many other reasons to travel besides holidays. It's not only travel, it's movement, as commonplace as going form Cork to Dublin. And I'm also constantly at pains to point out that people have loved ones abroad, myself being one.

So this sudden notion that you're almost a criminal for wanting to do something that's been commonplace in the lifetimes of anyone under 50 is both absurd and tunnel visioned. We are all aware of this terrible pandemic but empathy, understanding and respect for other people's predicament seems to have gone completely out the window.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Without trying to go off topic, the topic of schools is not being presented with the full facts. Schools are safe when numbers are low but when transmission levels are high schools should close. (per NPHET)

There are many studies on the topic of education, however the elephant in the room with those studies are class sizes. Here in Spain, my region reduced average class sizes from 24 to 12 last year. Schools have remained open since lockdown 1, and the Spanish equivalent of the LC ran last year a few weeks late. Spain hired an incredible large amount of extra teachers to cater for the reduced classroom sizes. Ireland hired the equivalent of less than 1 teacher per school.
    While I agree with you that the overwhelming majority of studies show schools are low risk, it is fair question in Ireland for teachers and parents to ask questions if there are concerns around class sizes, social distancing etc. I dont have any kids in school so I cant comment from a personal perspective.

Getting back to the travel issue, there are numerous studies on travel and the impact on virus etc. The controls in place Europe now and a lot more stringent than they were last year. Nothing is foolproof, but the notion that people are heading off on a week's holiday or short break in the swimming trunks is a myth. Its just not happening.

The travel issue needs to be addressed from a few perspectives.

* Intra EU travel - we have greater controls and centralised data to allow for greater freedoms here where appropriate.

* Travel from outside the EU (including UK) - This needs to continue to be curtailed with the exception of essential travel. We dont have the same controls and consistency with data that we have with the EU.

* Defining essential travel. This is not so easy. Its clearly not as simple as saying people travelling on compassionate grounds and supply chains. The other reasons, personal to individuals that may be justified as essential travel. I dont support people fecking off for a week's holiday or a city break but then again given the scale of restrictions in other EU countries, its a huge deterrent anyway. I dont have an issue with people taking extended stays abroad and working remote working. I know a few people who are doing it, not for a few weeks but for at least 1-2 months. Some people are doing it for mental health reasons, some are doing it because they have ties in other countries. I wouldn't begrudge that. People taking extended trips away from Ireland and having to adhere to testing requirements travelling are not contributing to transmission in Ireland while they are away and the risk is minimal on return (from an EU perspective) given the EU wide measures.

Clearly you and I are not aligned on this and thats fine. I could share studies on how extreme measures on travel led to an increase community transmission in other countries as people tried to circumnavigate the rules deceitfully, but I have done so already. I do agree that given the level of transmission in EU at present, discretionary travel should be reduced (I was more open to it last year) but an outright ban on travel is short-sighted. The EU knows this and thats why EU states are seeking alternative options.

Personally I think the travel issue is not as big a fish as some of the other challenges in Ireland. Its an easy one to jump at, some of it is justified, but as we know not everything is black and white as is being presented. I strongly believe the vast majority people passing through the airport are doing so for essential reasons, even the non-EU travellers. There aren't planes packed with tourists arriving from Texas anymore. (There never was, but it didn't stop the media running the story as a counter argument to Ireland's 2020 restrictions)

Finally, if a travel ban is being pursued, then it should apply to essential and non essential travels. The virus doesn't discriminate.
    It won't reduced case loads in Ireland, it won't reduce numbers in hospitals, it won't reduce transmission rates. Hospital acquired cases, care homes, lack of enforced of rules around confirmed cases and close contacts will contlnue to keep the numbers high. Some of the arguments on travel are straw men at times.

And people who don't go away need to stop giving abuse to people who do go away.

Ireland is no longer an island in anything other than geography. For the past 50 years travel has become a way of life for a large number of its residents. We're in the Eu, always had close ties to Britain so we are now very intertwined with other countries. As I've said here countless times there are many other reasons to travel besides holidays. It's not only travel, it's movement, as commonplace as going form Cork to Dublin. And I'm also constantly at pains to point out that people have loved ones abroad, myself being one.

So this sudden notion that you're almost a criminal for wanting to do something that's been commonplace in the lifetimes of anyone under 50 is both absurd and tunnel visioned. We are all aware of this terrible pandemic but empathy, understanding and respect for other people's predicament seems to have gone completely out the window.

I would suggest that visiting family members, in a 'bubble' if you like, is deemed essential?
    I don't believe people are not empathetic or unsympathetic because they respect the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As far as I know it's not legal to stop someone from leaving the country..

Those Airport checkpoints are just for show to try put people off taking a flight...but they can't arrest you for intending to board a flight..

The one at Dublin airport, what a joke, stopping cars going to drop off/pick up at Terminal 1... sure just hop out and walk or go through Terminal 2.. purely for show.

johnire wrote: »
    Just an observation folks.... It's very interesting to note that certain regular contributors to this thread who apparently have no problem in encouraging travel abroad at any costs are the very people who have in the past said what their profession is - that same profession who very recently through the power of their union have dug their heels in and refused to return to work. Meanwhile the heros of our frontline services don't have that same luxury. Oh the hipocrosy!!

I have just reported this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have just reported this post.
    For?

I would suggest that visiting family members, in a 'bubble' if you like, is deemed essential?
    I don't believe people are not empathetic or unsympathetic because they respect the law.

Unfortunately many are. And many are fanatical about the law. Many laws are open to question and some are not worthy of respect. And freedom of expression is a right. So where people do not respect the concept of a law they are more than entitled to question said law. Blindly following whatever the authorities dictate without question question or debate is not very intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You've made some excellent points here but can I just say one thing and I genuinely believe that this is the issue that a lot of people who think that going off on non essential travel is such a highly emotive issue.
    It's all about the lack of control that you as an individual are going to have over a situation that you could find yourself in.
    You can head off with the best will in the world but ultimately you're at the mercy of others around you. You've absolutely no control over what happens in the airport while standing in a queue or on a plane. You could find yourself severely compromised as regards social distancing but there nothing you can do about it. You can't leave the plane!
    Look at that farcical situation last week in Heathrow. It's safe to assume that none of the people there chose to be in that situation yet there they were- that's my point - they had zero control over that situation they found themselves in. Furthermore and it's unfortunate but again safe to assume that an awful lot of those people are going to contract Covid..... but will the statistics show that as travel related? Maybe but I doubt it.
    None of us want to contract Covid so why put yourself in a situation that's avoidable?
    I know a lot of people won't agree with me and that's fine let's none of us take the moral highground on this one.

faceman wrote: »
    Without trying to go off topic, the topic of schools is not being presented with the full facts. Schools are safe when numbers are low but when transmission levels are high schools should close. (per NPHET)

There are many studies on the topic of education, however the elephant in the room with those studies are class sizes. Here in Spain, my region reduced average class sizes from 24 to 12 last year. Schools have remained open since lockdown 1, and the Spanish equivalent of the LC ran last year a few weeks late. Spain hired an incredible large amount of extra teachers to cater for the reduced classroom sizes. Ireland hired the equivalent of less than 1 teacher per school.
    While I agree with you that the overwhelming majority of studies show schools are low risk, it is fair question in Ireland for teachers and parents to ask questions if there are concerns around class sizes, social distancing etc. I dont have any kids in school so I cant comment from a personal perspective.

Getting back to the travel issue, there are numerous studies on travel and the impact on virus etc. The controls in place Europe now and a lot more stringent than they were last year. Nothing is foolproof, but the notion that people are heading off on a week's holiday or short break in the swimming trunks is a myth. Its just not happening.

The travel issue needs to be addressed from a few perspectives.

* Intra EU travel - we have greater controls and centralised data to allow for greater freedoms here where appropriate.

* Travel from outside the EU (including UK) - This needs to continue to be curtailed with the exception of essential travel. We dont have the same controls and consistency with data that we have with the EU.

* Defining essential travel. This is not so easy. Its clearly not as simple as saying people travelling on compassionate grounds and supply chains. The other reasons, personal to individuals that may be justified as essential travel. I dont support people fecking off for a week's holiday or a city break but then again given the scale of restrictions in other EU countries, its a huge deterrent anyway. I dont have an issue with people taking extended stays abroad and working remote working. I know a few people who are doing it, not for a few weeks but for at least 1-2 months. Some people are doing it for mental health reasons, some are doing it because they have ties in other countries. I wouldn't begrudge that. People taking extended trips away from Ireland and having to adhere to testing requirements travelling are not contributing to transmission in Ireland while they are away and the risk is minimal on return (from an EU perspective) given the EU wide measures.

Clearly you and I are not aligned on this and thats fine. I could share studies on how extreme measures on travel led to an increase community transmission in other countries as people tried to circumnavigate the rules deceitfully, but I have done so already. I do agree that given the level of transmission in EU at present, discretionary travel should be reduced (I was more open to it last year) but an outright ban on travel is short-sighted. The EU knows this and thats why EU states are seeking alternative options.

Personally I think the travel issue is not as big a fish as some of the other challenges in Ireland. Its an easy one to jump at, some of it is justified, but as we know not everything is black and white as is being presented. I strongly believe the vast majority people passing through the airport are doing so for essential reasons, even the non-EU travellers. There aren't planes packed with tourists arriving from Texas anymore. (There never was, but it didn't stop the media running the story as a counter argument to Ireland's 2020 restrictions)

Finally, if a travel ban is being pursued, then it should apply to essential and non essential travels. The virus doesn't discriminate.
    It won't reduced case loads in Ireland, it won't reduce numbers in hospitals, it won't reduce transmission rates. Hospital acquired cases, care homes, lack of enforced of rules around confirmed cases and close contacts will contlnue to keep the numbers high. Some of the arguments on travel are straw men at times.

gmisk wrote: »
    For?

1. It's a personal dig. That poster and I argued, I apologised which wasn't even acknowledged so this poster is now making provocative remarks. To my knowledge boards.ie don't like that and like to be kept informed.
    2. Completely off topic. This is a travel thread. My profession and union are totally irrelevant. Which brings me to 3:
    3. Rather than cause a major spat which will derail the thread and probably bore all the posters who come here to discuss travel and incur bans, I do the law abiding poster thing and report rather than react.

So criticism now for abiding by the rules:rolleyes: Damned if you do. Damned if you don't it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

johnire wrote: »
    You've made some excellent points here but can I just say one thing and I genuinely believe that this is the issue that a lot of people who think that going off on non essential travel is such a highly emotive issue.
    It's all about the lack of control that you as an individual are going to have over a situation that you could find yourself in.
    You can head off with the best will in the world but ultimately you're at the mercy of others around you. You've absolutely no control over what happens in the airport while standing in a queue or on a plane. You could find yourself severely compromised as regards social distancing but there nothing you can do about it. You can't leave the plane!
    Look at that farcical situation last week in Heathrow. It's safe to assume that none of the people there chose to be in that situation yet there they were- that's my point - they had zero control over that situation they found themselves in. Furthermore and it's unfortunate but again safe to assume that an awful lot of those people are going to contract Covid..... but will the statistics show that as travel related? Maybe but I doubt it.
    None of us want to contract Covid so why put yourself in a situation that's avoidable?
    I know a lot of people won't agree with me and that's fine let's none of us take the moral highground on this one.

Your last sentence is so relevant and so true. For as long as people are pit against people, it’s takes the eye off the failings of the government.

Also regarding Heathrow, I agree I wouldn’t want to be there. Heathrow is a non EU airport so I wouldn’t be going anywhere near it!

faceman wrote: »

I didn't quote your whole post just because it was too large. I wasn't trying to drag anything off topic. My example of schools was just to contrast a high profile example where people protest advice/restrictions for not being strict enough. Some think restrictions are too strict, some think they are not strict enough

For your other points, they are reasonable. People going effectively one-way to "work from home" somewhere else, I don't have as much of an issue with that.

The emphasis on travel on these forums is also because it is visible and affects people. And people use it as an excuse not to obey other advice. You see it here "why should I stay within 5km for exercise when 50k people are allowed to come through Belfast?". To combat the pandemic you need cohesion and everyone pulling together.

It's very divisive on here. People are dividing into themselves "travellers" and "miserable others". I am apparently in the latter category. I did travel on 4 separate trips last year in Jan and the first week of Feb. One to the UK and three to the continent. One was work related and three to meet three different friends. (Now that was unusual for me that all the trips came along close together. I wouldn't usually travel that much. In the last 6 months of 2019 I only went to the UK twice in comparison).
    I made plans to meet up with one of those friends at three different cities over the Summer. Obviously that didn't happen.

But because I'm not on here moaning about it, I'm ironically in the miserable category

Unfortunately many are. And many are fanatical about the law. Many laws are open to question and some are not worthy of respect. And freedom of expression is a right. So where people do not respect the concept of a law they are more than entitled to question said law. Blindly following whatever the authorities dictate without question question or debate is not very intelligent.

I'm not sure where freedom of expression comes into it?
    People can question the law, and there are ways to do it.
    As I said if you're travelling overseas for an essential reason, then there is no issue is there?

I'm not sure where freedom of expression comes into it?
    People can question the law, and there are ways to do it.
    As I said if you're travelling overseas for an essential reason, then there is no issue is there?

I don't actually know where this argument is going?

Travelling for non essential reasons is also legal. So there is no issue. People can still travel if they wish once they abide by all the other rules. Other people's opinion on what they should or should not be doing is irrelevant.

I would not judge anybody for travelling, be it a short or long trip. It's none of my business. There are now better protocols in place than there were. So let the individual make his own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

Checkpoints at the airports is not going to encourage people to book a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Operation shakedown.

100 euro might be a small price to pay to get the hell off the island.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement