Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What your version of "normal" in this scenario, out of interest?

I’ll chime in on what my version of normal is and when it should be relived.

Once the vulnerable are vaccinated by approx April ...... back to 2019 NORMAL and ZERO restrictions.

No excuses or made up media hysteria about a “deadly” virus effecting 0.0000000001% of the population, just normal living again.

This craziness has to end at some stage so April is as good a target as anytime

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    All of these restrictions are advisory. Not law. The sooner people cop on to this the sooner we'll be back to normal.

They are law.
    Perhaps you need to read the links to the actual legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

bubblypop wrote: »
    They are law.
    Perhaps you need to read the links to the actual legislation

5km travel ban is law. (and debatable tbh, considering the stories I've heard of people chatting with guards and telling them they're off to see their long lost cousins nephews brothers grave 100 miles away, and the guard waves them on)

Not leaving the country or getting on a flight is advisory.

Avoid non essential travel is advisory.

5km travel ban is law. (and debatable tbh, considering the stories I've heard of people chatting with guards and telling them they're off to see their long lost cousins nephews brothers grave 100 miles away, and the guard waves them on)

Not leaving the country or getting on a flight is advisory.

Avoid non essential travel is advisory.

No.
    Read the laws.
    You must stay in your home except for certain essential activities. You may leave to exercise, within 5 km of your home.

It's amazing how many people do not understand the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

bubblypop wrote: »
    No.
    Read the laws.
    You must stay in your home except for certain essential activities. You may leave to exercise, within 5 km of your home.

It's amazing how many people do not understand the law.

As I just said above.

5km is a law.

Not leaving the country is advice. What sort of mess did they make of that one :pac: letting us all fly in and out but we can't go to grannys house a few miles down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

faceman wrote: »
    An example of how serious C19 is taken here in Spain compared to Ireland. Was in the local Decathlon earlier. There was a lad (estimate in his 40’s) walking around with his face mask on wrong. It wasn’t covering his nose. Security guard asked him to put it on problem. He refused and in English told him he had a medical condition. Security wasn’t phased and formed up the rules then said something in Spanish that I couldn’t make out.

Suddenly the bloke’s medical condition magically went away and he put his mask on properly.

This is a reason why I feel much safer here than in Ireland.

Spain has almost three times the deaths of Ireland per capita for a reason - they have only been taking it seriously in certain areas and in some regions.

I know of a dance school in Madrid that is still having classes, in person, and I am aware of singles meetups, again in Madrid, that are still happening, in bars and restaurants that are all still open. In a number of cities there are language exchanges going on in bars and cafes still.

Yes, they are heavy on masks, even outdoors, but the numbers do not lie - they have been consistently living with 300, 500, now up to 800 cases per 100,000 per 14 days. Their ICUs have been verging on full for about 4 months now.

There has been lots of virus in Ireland for the last four weeks, but our numbers now are what Spain has been living with for months and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

As I just said above.

5km is a law.

Not leaving the country is advice. What sort of mess did they make of that one :pac: letting us all fly in and out but we can't go to grannys house a few miles down the road.

Well tbf, most people live more than 5km from an airport so getting to the airport is breaking the law.

As I just said above.

5km is a law.

Maybe try to read it again ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

fisgon wrote: »
    Spain has almost three times the deaths of Ireland per capita for a reason - they have only been taking it seriously in certain areas and in some regions.

I know of a dance school in Madrid that is still having classes, in person, and I am aware of singles meetups, again in Madrid, that are still happening, in bars and restaurants that are all still open. In a number of cities there are language exchanges going on in bars and cafes still.

Yes, they are heavy on masks, even outdoors, but the numbers do not lie - they have been consistently living with 300, 500, now up to 800 cases per 100,000 per 14 days. Their ICUs have been verging on full for about 4 months now.

There has been lots of virus in Ireland for the last four weeks, but our numbers now are what Spain has been living with for months and months.

Yeah depends on the region, Madrid has done shíte throughout the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Spain's current figures are around 800 per 100k, it was about 300 in November and has been slowly rising since compared to ours, their current icu level is 36% of covid patients on average across the country. Do you mean their icu is full not only because of covid? Their covid cases are certainly spiking at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spain has a population of 50m, Ireland is less than 5m. Spain’s 65+ demographic is 17% of its population. Ireland is 14%. Spain has a far larger hospital capacity than Ireland. Both countries can’t be compared equally. Each Spanish region has a different president and health minister. There are parts of Spain with horrendous covid numbers and parts with zero. The 14 day rate has varied dramatically depending on the area and region. Some regions like Catalonia and Madrid suffered as politics got in the way of decision makings

My region, communidad Valencia was the best performing region on mainland Spain for much of the pandemic. The regional government is quite cautious. Things turned in wave 3 although they were quick to act as there was no political agreement.

That being said, my nearest city has had studies carried out in why covid rates remained bizarrely low from the summer on. The 14 day rate for the city ranged between 50-70. It’s gone up now but it’s still way below other Spanish cities. Last I checked is that it’s around 200. The news tonight is reporting that we are approaching the peak of the 3rd wave here according to the health services modelling.

Spain have got some things right and some things wrong. But I agree Madrid (and Catalonia) has always been a mess. I wouldn’t visit there. Thankfully regional borders are closed (and heavily policed) so we don’t have to worry about visitors from there. Valencia kept the region’s borders closed too over Christmas.

The elephant in the room for Spain and other EU countries was the U.K. strain. Nations took swift action to ban visitors for the U.K. (easy to do as the U.K. is no longer in the EU) but no country in Europe wanted to admit they had the strain on the loose, except Ireland. It’s been obvious that the strain was on the loose here and in other EU countries since December at least.

There’s much more to it than just this but that’s all I’m typing at this hour :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I need to travel from Dublin to Cork. I wonder will I go undetected if i travel in the evening or at night.

I hate this travel restriction. I'll interact with nobody as i travel down solo in my wheeled box. But il pass and rub off dozens of people if i go for a walk in the local park.. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

gmisk wrote: »
    I will be leaving it as late as possible this year to travel....
    I have 2.5k voucher for honeymoon in a hotel in italy no refunds...
    Definitely wouldn't be travelling til much later in year personally, and I wouldn't if I didn't have voucher tbh

So because you have a non-refundable voucher travel is ok? Otherwise you wouldn't travel?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

BruteStock wrote: »
    I need to travel from Dublin to Cork. I wonder will I go undetected if i travel in the evening or at night.

You dont need to worry if the journey actually does need to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

wonder how many will travel if they have to quarantine at their own expense on arrival in Ireland which should have been done months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    wonder how many will travel if they have to quarantine at their own expense on arrival in Ireland which should have been done months ago.

Why wonder, the answer would be Zero...

Just hope that there's plenty of Government financial supports for the Tourism and Aviation sectors....

The PUP will be in place long past March at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

can Ryanair or any other survive on essential travel, getting away from the dark grey jan weather might be one good reason especially when you can work from home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Is there any idea on how long these travel restrictions will last for? Are we saying until level 5 ends or is this indefinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

https://www.independent.ie/news/passengers-without-negative-test-will-have-to-pay-for-stay-in-quarantine-hotels-under-cabinet-plans-40007188.html

govt bottled it by the looks of it ffs, should have been quarantine for all travellers. have to be the good boys of europe. Who travels in a pandemic ffs,only muppets

faceman wrote: »
    Spain has a population of 50m, Ireland is less than 5m. Spain’s 65+ demographic is 17% of its population. Ireland is 14%. Spain has a far larger hospital capacity than Ireland. Both countries can’t be compared equally. Each Spanish region has a different president and health minister. There are parts of Spain with horrendous covid numbers and parts with zero. The 14 day rate has varied dramatically depending on the area and region. Some regions like Catalonia and Madrid suffered as politics got in the way of decision makings

My region, communidad Valencia was the best performing region on mainland Spain for much of the pandemic. The regional government is quite cautious. Things turned in wave 3 although they were quick to act as there was no political agreement.

That being said, my nearest city has had studies carried out in why covid rates remained bizarrely low from the summer on. The 14 day rate for the city ranged between 50-70. It’s gone up now but it’s still way below other Spanish cities. Last I checked is that it’s around 200. The news tonight is reporting that we are approaching the peak of the 3rd wave here according to the health services modelling.

Spain have got some things right and some things wrong. But I agree Madrid (and Catalonia) has always been a mess. I wouldn’t visit there. Thankfully regional borders are closed (and heavily policed) so we don’t have to worry about visitors from there. Valencia kept the region’s borders closed too over Christmas.

T:p

Yeah, there are a number of things to evaluate, but the numbers do not lie - Spain's death rate is 1186 per million from Covid, Ireland's is 598, so I should correct myself, ours is almost exactly half Spain's (I said a third, which it was for a while until this surge).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Their current rate of infection is 828 per 100,000 per 14 days, more or less the same as ours now, though ours is coming down and theirs is going up.

Incidentally, the Valencia region is worse than Madrid at the moment and has almost twice the rate of Catalonia. It is much higher than even Ireland's. If anyone is interested in the different regions, latest official figures are here (scroll down to the table, the relevant figure is the first IA column)...
    https://diariosanitario.com/casos-coronavirus-espana/

It is important, I think, to counter the narrative that Ireland is doing terribly and Spain (or whatever country you want to mention) is much more efficient. Spain has not done well at all in the pandemic.

• Advertisement

fm wrote: »
    Spain's current figures are around 800 per 100k, it was about 300 in November and has been slowly rising since compared to ours, their current icu level is 36% of covid patients on average across the country. Do you mean their icu is full not only because of covid? Their covid cases are certainly spiking at the moment

Depending on the region, their ICUs have been moving in and out of danger for months. Madrid's has been stretched for a long time. Though Spain has more ICU beds than Ireland per capita, so they can survive higher numbers.

I think that they have just accepted that they are going to have a lot of virus cases at this stage, and are trying to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Is there any idea on how long these travel restrictions will last for? Are we saying until level 5 ends or is this indefinite.

I'd say it's a certainty until Level 5 ends and maybe a bit beyond that. My guess is that they will hold out until the situation in Europe is stable and vaccinations have ramped up before opening up intra-EU travel. Post Easter or maybe as late as May 1st. A lot will also depend on what other EU countries do in terms of a consolidated approach to the summer travel season in terms of testing etc.

Non-EU travel is anyones guess at this stage but will almost certainly lag the opening of intra-EU even though places like the U.S. may actually be ahead of us from a vaccination perspective, by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

No nation can stop you leaving theirs and returning to your own nation without a very iron clad reason
    Australia are basically stopping people from returning.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/news/passengers-without-negative-test-will-have-to-pay-for-stay-in-quarantine-hotels-under-cabinet-plans-40007188.html

govt bottled it by the looks of it ffs, should have been quarantine for all travellers. have to be the good boys of europe. Who travels in a pandemic ffs,only muppets

Or the thousands of people that need to as a rrsult of both work and family commitments maybe?

You think all your food and masks just teleport into your cupboards? We are a small island, travel is necessary for many

smurfjed wrote: »

They arent. Thats basically a lie

There is also a difference between what I said and what you claim even if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No they aren't.
    You have to quarantine which is entirely sensible
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/rob-kearney-fiancee-jess-redden-23235844

gmisk wrote: »
    No they aren't.
    You have to quarantine which is entirely sensible
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/rob-kearney-fiancee-jess-redden-23235844

or have a test

or be exempt

or be employed in the travel industry

but yeah. Other than that, absolutely stopping Australian citizens from returning home :P:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@Niner Leprachan and gmisk, have you spoken to any Australians about this? Do you know how many are outside Australia and how many are allowed enter per day? Do you know how much the tickets are ? It really isn’t as simple as you may think.

@Niner Leprachan and gmisk, have you spoken to any Australians about this? Do you know how many are outside Australia and how many are allowed enter per day? Do you know how much the tickets are ? It really isn’t as simple as you may think.

Price of a flight is irelevent. thats like saying Madagascar is stopping Irish people because the flights are expensive.

Or Greenland is stopping us because theres no flights direct.

Australians can fly to Australia, thats the reality. In fact, non Australians can fly to Australia. you were wrong, accept it.

edit to add: Yes, I talk to international travellers most days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No, I have read plenty of reliable websites.
    I don't see anything about restricting entry to a certain number of australian citizens per day do you? If you do send it on.
    You would have to pay for the flight....why would you not?

This is the Australian gov website
    https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/covid-19/covid-19/returning-australia

You have to contribute to the cost of hotel stay and rightly so. That varies by state and territory as far as I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement