Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I don't see anything about restricting entry to a certain number of australian citizens per day do you?
    Actually its 2000 people PER MONTH, at least until the middle of Feb, hence the reason that airlines such as Emirates stopped flying passenger flights to Australia.
    Australians can fly to Australia, thats the reality. In fact, non Australians can fly to Australia. you were wrong, accept it.
    I will pass this on to my Australian buddy who provided me with the information, I’m sure that he will be impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,799 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

smurfjed wrote: »
    Actually its 2000 people PER MONTH, at least until the middle of Feb, hence the reason that airlines such as Emirates stopped flying passenger flights to Australia.

I will pass this on to my Australian buddy who provided me with the information, I’m sure that he will be impressed :)
    Well tbh.......tough, he/she will have to wait.
    It's being done for the right reasons, if he isn't exempt.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-22/national-cabinet-scott-morrison-international-arrival-caps/13081778
    "Deputy Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd said of the 92 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Australia in the last week, more than 90 per cent were overseas acquired."

smurfjed wrote: »

you are still wrong and your "Australian buddy" isnt a more reliable source than the Australian government nor do we know what he actually told you.

Australians can fly to Australia and to avoid this continuing more than need be, the 2000 per month doesnt include arrival from green listed nations or people that are travelling as part of their exempted employment.

I would also wonder how many Australians are actually attempting to enter Australia under the right to return that I mentioned anyway. this is going on since March. People that needed to get home to where they live, got home.

You said Australia was basically banning Australians from entering Australia, thats not true. Its not true either officially or in practice. OK? Can we move on now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Only a complete moron will get caught

How'd you mean? If a guard stops you and you are travelling for a foreign holiday how do you convince them its for essential travel? You could say its essential for your emotional wellbeing? Not been smart - would they accept that? Or am I missing something?

12 January 2021

There's a ban on overseas travel from Australia. You can’t leave Australia unless you get an exemption from the Department of Home Affairs.

All our 177 travel advisories on Smartraveller are set at 'Do not travel' due to the health risks from the COVID-19 pandemic and the significant disruptions to global travel.

If you’re overseas and wish to return to Australia, be prepared for delays and read our advice on trying to get home.

When you arrive in Australia you must quarantine for 14 days at designated facilities in your port of arrival, unless you have an exemption. At this time, vaccination against COVID-19 does not change this quarantine requirement. You may be required to pay for the costs of your quarantine. View State and Territory Government COVID-19 information for information about quarantine and domestic borders.

If you're staying overseas, make plans to stay for an extended period. Follow the advice of local authorities and minimise your risk of exposure to COVID-19. Stay in touch with family and friends so they know you're safe.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/crisis/covid-19-and-travel

As for your green listed countries.
    If you have been in a New Zealand COVID-19 hotspot in the previous 14 days – even if you just transited through – and arrive in NSW on or after 5:55pm on Monday 25 January 2021 you will need to
    leave Australia if you are not an Australian citizen and it is reasonably practicable for you to do so or
    go directly to a quarantine facility or
    go directly to a medical facility if you require medical treatment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

fisgon wrote: »
    Yeah, there are a number of things to evaluate, but the numbers do not lie - Spain's death rate is 1186 per million from Covid, Ireland's is 598, so I should correct myself, ours is almost exactly half Spain's (I said a third, which it was for a while until this surge).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Their current rate of infection is 828 per 100,000 per 14 days, more or less the same as ours now, though ours is coming down and theirs is going up.

Incidentally, the Valencia region is worse than Madrid at the moment and has almost twice the rate of Catalonia. It is much higher than even Ireland's. If anyone is interested in the different regions, latest official figures are here (scroll down to the table, the relevant figure is the first IA column)...
    https://diariosanitario.com/casos-coronavirus-espana/

It is important, I think, to counter the narrative that Ireland is doing terribly and Spain (or whatever country you want to mention) is much more efficient. Spain has not done well at all in the pandemic.

No one is disagreeing with the data. My original point still stands around the taking of enforcement seriously. I dont think we disagree on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Seems like they are fining people for going on holiday and there is no ambiguity. It's not essential. It's good to see enforcement but mandatory quarantine would be better. This would allow everything back to relevant normality a lot quicker than waiting fo the new variant to blow in.
    People are being reminded that travel to airports and ports should only be taken for essential reasons and holidays abroad are not deemed essential.

Gardaí issued the reminder along with an update on the number of fines issued for non-essential travel since they were first introduced two weeks ago.

In a statement, An Garda Síochána said that approximately 1,500 fines have been issued for non-essential travel since 11 January.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1353731092663185412?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A government leak today indicated the current travel restrictions plus whatever additional measures are introduced tomorrow will last until summer of 2022.

If that is the case, then a serious question mark over travel will hang over Ireland for business or personal reasons.

In the tier system international travel is only permitted in tiers 1 and 2.

It seems in Ireland they are making it more "difficult" to leave the country I'd imagine airline shares are tumbling - also you have to pay for your own stay in quarantine hotels - https://www.independent.ie/news/passengers-without-negative-test-will-have-to-pay-for-stay-in-quarantine-hotels-under-cabinet-plans-40007188.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I expect there will be court challenges to fining people going to the airport.

Money involved there - and a lot of people don't have as much as they had - what with the unemployment skyrocketing. Very grim all round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The key information people need to remember

Quote: "It is expected passengers arriving without negative a PCR test will be required to pay to stay in supervised hotels for between five and 14 days"

If you have a PCR test then there is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

faceman wrote: »
    A government leak today indicated the current travel restrictions plus whatever additional measures are introduced tomorrow will last until summer of 2022..

The PUP plus additional business supports will have to remain in place for another 18 months... Currently costs the state €1 billion a week, wonder if that will go up again...
    If other countries open and Ireland stays closed I think we're all going to have to learn how to swim to the UK and fly from there...

What about public transport? - say if someone gets a bus up to Dublin airport from Cork or Limerick. Will the Gardai stop the bus and interview people?

They have never done that before, so I couldn't imagine they will begin doing that all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I would not pay a fine for travelling abroad, I don't give two damns they could come for me and haul me to jail before I'd pay it, they don't even jail real criminals lol. I believe it to be morally wrong and thus I will not cooperate. I love to travel, it is part of my DNA at this stage, being able to travel is the only thing that makes life tolerable in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

RobitTV wrote: »
    What about public transport? - say if someone gets a bus up to Dublin airport from Cork or Limerick. Will the Gardai stop the bus and interview people?

They have never done that before, so I couldn't imagine they will begin doing that all of a sudden.
    When I was back in Ireland over Christmas I used public transport for that reason. Never saw a guard anywhere.

What are they going to do if they stop a bus? Turf passengers off and leave them at the side of the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Civil disobedience for a cause is very admirable. Good luck with that. Desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose. If you believe in non essential travel during a pandemic that much then fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

theguzman wrote: »
    I would not pay a fine for travelling abroad, I don't give two damns they could come for me and haul me to jail before I'd pay it, they don't even jail real criminals lol. I believe it to be morally wrong and thus I will not cooperate. I love to travel, it is part of my DNA at this stage, being able to travel is the only thing that makes life tolerable in Ireland.

A couple of generations ago there was no cheap air travel. We couldn't just casually come and go as we pleased. Travelling abroad often required making life changing decisions, and not seeing your family again for who knows how long.
    We are a spoiled people, dependent on luxuries our grandparents could only have dreamed of.

When I was back in Ireland over Christmas I used public transport for that reason. Never saw a guard anywhere.

What are they going to do if they stop a bus? Turf passengers off and leave them at the side of the road?

Exactly, it's all rather comical at this stage :pac: such a waste of Garda resources too attempting to deal with people on public transport. As if they are going to stop every last single bus and tell people to go back home (on the bus back home ironically)

How many coaches would they have to stop each day? it's all a complete fantasy.

Yes, probably...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/inside-new-garda-crackdown-travel-23380522

Or just stop you from boarding in the first place..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A couple of generations ago there was no cheap air travel. We couldn't just casually come and go as we pleased. Travelling abroad often required making life changing decisions, and not seeing your family again for who knows how long.
    We are a spoiled people, dependent on luxuries our grandparents could only have dreamed of.

It is a generational thing but we are not going back to the old ways, easy and cheap travel is something we have become accustomed to and something I don't intend to give up without a severe fight that is for sure. There was once a time when you could not leave your village because the black and tans had it under lockdown, the flag and badge worn may have changed but it seems the oppression has not.

It is a generational thing but we are not going back to the old ways, easy and cheap travel is something we have become accustomed to and something I don't intend to give up without a severe fight that is for sure. There was once a time when you could not leave your village because the black and tans had it under lockdown, the flag and badge worn may have changed but it seems the oppression has not.

accumulating 100 euro fines is not something a lot of people want to do - money is scarce for a lot of people - they know (government) that this deterrent will be largely effective i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

faceman wrote: »
    A government leak today indicated the current travel restrictions plus whatever additional measures are introduced tomorrow will last until summer of 2022.

If that is the case, then a serious question mark over travel will hang over Ireland for business or personal reasons.

In the tier system international travel is only permitted in tiers 1 and 2.

Jesus Christ this can’t be true????where did you see that face man? That will be the tipping point for a lot of people surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

You really went there .

Comparing stopping non essential travel to oppression by the black and tans .

Good Grief

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My friend flew in today for some essential family business, he will be back "home" on Friday, not sure what kind of inquisition he got when he got here, I'm sure if he explained himself there will be no issues...

The best thing to do for people travelling to Dublin airport is to use public transport and leave your location around 1am/2am and sadly you might be up at the airport extra early, but there isn't much choice.

The Mirror article says they operate the checkpoints between 7am and 9pm and they switch entrances to the airport during the day. If you get to the airport before 4am you'll probably be fine.

Run inside the terminal and get upstairs quickly :pac:

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    The best thing to do for people travelling to Dublin airport is to use public transport and leave your location around 1am/2am and sadly you might be up at the airport extra early, but there isn't much choice.
    The Mirror article says they operate the checkpoints between 7am and 9pm and they switch entrances to the airport during the day. If you get to the airport before 4am you'll probably be fine.

Just get out of the Taxi at T2 and walk through to T1! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement