Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Just get out of the Taxi at T2 and walk through to T1! :D

Do you know where the checkpoints are located? Can you get to T2 without being checked? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Its mad - i was just gonna say if you are that determined to get to the airport - you have to travel under the cover of nightfall - using maybe back roads - hopping a couple of ditches on the way (joking there) - this is the way it appears to be going - nobody would have thought 2 years ago this would be the new reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

RobitTV wrote: »
    The best thing to do for people travelling to Dublin airport is to use public transport and leave your location around 1am/2am and sadly you might be up at the airport extra early, but there isn't much choice.

The Mirror article says they operate the checkpoints between 7am and 9pm and they switch entrances to the airport during the day. If you get to the airport before 4am you'll probably be fine.

Run inside the terminal and get upstairs quickly :pac:

Good tips on how to flout the law. Any tips on how to get around paying income tax? Or perhaps how to commit other infractions without getting caught.

Didn't know that was allowed on here. Guess it is. Strange times indeed.

I've heard that if you don't like paying for something you can just take it and not pay for it. That's a good one.

Good tips on how to flout the law. Any tips on how to get around paying income tax? Or perhaps how to commit other infractions without getting caught.

Everyone makes their own decisions. This is called the travelling forum. I'm simply giving my person opinion, people can choose to either accept or ignore it. I'm not holding them hostage.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

The best thing to do for people travelling to Dublin airport is to use public transport and leave your location around 1am/2am and sadly you might be up at the airport extra early, but there isn't much choice.

The Mirror article says they operate the checkpoints between 7am and 9pm and they switch entrances to the airport during the day. If you get to the airport before 4am you'll probably be fine.

Run inside the terminal and get upstairs quickly :pac:

Book 2 one way tickets for your trip. Present the outbound tickets with the words ‘I’m emigrating Guard’. :)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I will be going to Dublin Airport next month to collect an incoming passenger, and I must stress we have an inalienable right to travel so these jobsworth Guards can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

By collecting her I am providing the safest all round alternative especially as she will be arriving from an area with a new variant highly-infectious outbreak. This all merely deflection by the Govt to divert attention from the absolute mess they made of everything from the start,

I agree with previous poster I am not advocating breaking the law in anyway either - its peoples own choice - but from todays headlines - they are making it so difficult (near impossible) to now leave the country - and maybe will get more draconian. Its very surreal - turning into a George Orwell scenario - but on the otherhand there is a pandemic going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

nickkinneg wrote: »
    I agree with previous poster I am not advocating breaking the law in anyway either - its peoples own choice - but from todays headlines - they are making it so difficult (near impossible) to now leave the country - and maybe will get more draconian. Its very surreal - turning into a George Orwell scenario - but on the otherhand there is a pandemic going on.

Good. Should have done it months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Do you know where the checkpoints are located? Can you get to T2 without being checked? :D

There's not a "Ring of Steel" around the place! :D

No matter what the Media want you to believe! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭manutd2007

I've heard that if you don't like paying for something you can just take it and not pay for it. That's a good one.

be quiet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Uk likely to announce 14 day quarantine... we will then follow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Seems like they are fining people for going on holiday and there is no ambiguity. It's not essential. It's good to see enforcement but mandatory quarantine would be better. This would allow everything back to relevant normality a lot quicker than waiting fo the new variant to blow in.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1353731092663185412?s=20

Fantastic news they are finally getting their arse in gear but I agree mandatory quarantine at traveller's expense would be preferable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

gally74 wrote: »

The Govt are just waiting for something like this indeed, they are watching to do a United Islands approach and blame Boris in London and the open border with the North.

All those in favour of quarantine are going to be let down.

This is from earlier...

If you have a PCR test then there is no issue.

Irish Independent: "It is expected passengers arriving without a negative PCR test will be required to pay to stay in supervised hotels for between five and 14 days"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

theguzman wrote: »
    The Govt are just waiting for something like this indeed, they are watching to do a United Islands approach and blame Boris in London and the open border with the North.

UK to announce tomorrow

Maybe the thread needs to change title now that non essential travel is clearly not permitted. Maybe we change it to "what essential reason are you travelling for?"

Is emigration essential? let's say you have found work abroad perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is emigration essential? let's say you have found work abroad perhaps.

Let them leave but they can forget coming back.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Let them leave but they can forget coming back.

That would suit me :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gally74 wrote: »

It won’t be for all countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

It’s just “boiling the frog” tactics which are a continuation of summer 2020 which was the shaming tactic if you went on holiday.
    Summer 2022 will have people just accept NO TRAVEL. Full stop. (The population will be broke and the airlines will have undoubtedly have folded. Goodbye cheap flights , hello €350 best deal flight to London)

North Korea and large swathes of China implemented these type of measures years ago and nobody steps out of line. Why wouldn’t it be the case here too.
    We are presently living in the secondary stages of a communist societal revolution with the aid of a supposed “deadly” virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

dalyboy wrote: »
    It’s just “boiling the frog” tactics which are a continuation of summer 2020 which was the shaming tactic if you went on holiday.
    Summer 2022 will have people just accept NO TRAVEL. Full stop. (The population will be broke and the airlines will have undoubtedly have folded. Goodbye cheap flights , hello €350 best deal flight to London)

North Korea and large swathes of China implemented these type of measures years ago and nobody steps out of line. Why wouldn’t it be the case here too.
    We are presently living in the secondary stages of a communist societal revolution with the aid of a supposed “deadly” virus.

What TV show is this - is it on Netflix? I could be doing with a good sci fi/drama.

theguzman wrote: »
    I will be going to Dublin Airport next month to collect an incoming passenger, and I must stress we have an inalienable right to travel so these jobsworth Guards can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

Jobsworth guards?
    Gardai doing their job, that they have been directed to do?
    That makes them Jobsworth?
    Id keep that attitude to yourself when you meet them!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

km991148 wrote: »
    What TV show is this - is it on Netflix? I could be doing with a good sci fi/drama.

The hysteria is getting more hysterical

That may or may not be true - anyone suggesting that it may be the case - its the new phrase "tin foil hat" or something like that which is now popular. I personally do not know - only that a LOT of things are shifting in society at unprecedented rate

All those in favour of quarantine are going to be let down.

This is from earlier...

If you have a PCR test then there is no issue.

Irish Independent: "It is expected passengers arriving without a negative PCR test will be required to pay to stay in supervised hotels for between five and 14 days"

It’s an ever evolving situation. A negative PCR will allow you avoid these quarantine hotels for NOW but fast forward a week or two there’ll be some other crisis or infection spread due to false negative pcr tests and suddenly ALL incoming passengers need to quarantine regardless of PCR negative results.

Can only guess how much a quarantine hotel is going to cost for 14 days in Ireland. My guess is upwards of €3000.

km991148 wrote: »

Switch on RTE one tonight at 9pm. Enjoy

That may or may not be true - anyone suggesting that it may be the case - its the new phrase "tin foil hat" or something like that which is now popular. I personally do not know - only that a LOT of things are shifting in society at unprecedented rate

Here the thing - there are things to be worried about, but the get hidden by mass hysteria and generalisations about communism etc.

The most rampant capitalist societies in the world have no interest in keeping people locked down and under control (any more than they already do). But by talking about this we take the eye off of the real problems out society will face (unequal healthcare, crappy employment opportunities, environmental impact of capitalism and a million other things that are damaging and real)

But this isn't the thread to discuss any of that.. so traveling to where now?

Switch on RTE one tonight at 9pm. Enjoy

nah m8 - I'm on YouTube - no MSM big corporations are gonna tell me what to watch :pac:

• Advertisement

It’s an ever evolving situation. A negative PCR will allow you avoid these quarantine hotels for NOW but fast forward a week or two there’ll be some other crisis or infection spread due to false negative pcr tests and suddenly ALL incoming passengers need to quarantine regardless of PCR negative results.

Can only guess how much a quarantine hotel is going to cost for 14 days in Ireland. My guess is upwards of €3000.

Would that not be good news for the hotels that have been empty most of the year and had today off staff? There'll be demand for it but it'll really only be people travelling for essential reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement