Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

nickkinneg wrote: »
    That may or may not be true - anyone suggesting that it may be the case - its the new phrase "tin foil hat" or something like that which is now popular. I personally do not know - only that a LOT of things are shifting in society at unprecedented rate

It’s getting glaringly obvious at this point. I’ve tried to stay level headed throughout this situation back in March but anyone with a thinking brain has to be able to join the dots here. None of the gov actions are making sense now.
    Why stop flights in or out for the next 18 months when we have a reportedly effective vaccine ? Why is Europe (who have vaccine plans in action too) shouting as one voice now joining up a chorus of stopping travel between nations?

It’s the very essence of what the EU was designed for. FREE travel between states.

I could maybe give a pass for these actions if they were for the next 2-3 months but no they’re talking about summer 2022 before allowing travel again (which means nothing because they change their minds like the wind constantly)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

dalyboy wrote: »
    Summer 2022 will have people just accept NO TRAVEL. Full stop. (The population will be broke and the airlines will have undoubtedly have folded. Goodbye cheap flights , hello €350 best deal flight to London)

Dublin to London back in the 80's was about €450(in todays money)... it was the quickest way out of this hellhole and over to get a job in the UK...
    We may see it come back, especially if the UK recover the real jobs market quicker than Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

If an Irish citizen/resident returns home from a holiday - would they have to stay in the hotel or be allowed use their own home?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

pcr's are not reliable my tally is 66% neg all for travel the 1 positive was reversed 12 days later good idea to do an antigen one before or at the same time, doing another on friday.
    Those who have outside interests I also have a driving licence from from a non eu country good luck stopping me.
    I think its an awful shorted sighted not all people act irresponsibility

Would that not be good news for the hotels that have been empty most of the year and had today off staff? There'll be demand for it but it'll really only be people travelling for essential reasons.

Wouldn’t be great news for a member of the travelling public who has the right to see family who live abroad for example. What about friends getting married abroad ? Deaths in families abroad ? What about illness and tending to relatives abroad ? Do we just say “to hell with them” ?
    Once the issue doesn’t effect me I’m fine !
    Is that the society we all live in now ?
    Great ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If an Irish citizen/resident returns home from a holiday - would they have to stay in the hotel or be allowed use their own home?

If you arrive back at Dublin airport with a negative PCR test, then you can head straight home and isolate.

Unless they decide to change this next :rolleyes:

RobitTV wrote: »
    If you arrive back at Dublin airport with a negative PCR test, then you can head straight home and isolate.

Unless they decide to change this next :rolleyes:

I’ll bet the house this will get the chop within a month.
    It seems like organised chaos is their prime goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Anyone who is intending to travel probably should have done so earlier i'm thinking - there were a few who pre-empted these restrictions (or had the foresight) and have already gone abroad and come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Did I miss the part where international travel is causing the spread here?

Fair enough if some other super strain was found, shut the borders immediately. But the UK variant is already rampant here, what benefit will all these crazy new measures bring?

Seems like loads of countries are trying to emulate NZ, about a year too late. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

theguzman wrote: »
    I will be going to Dublin Airport next month to collect an incoming passenger, and I must stress we have an inalienable right to travel so these jobsworth Guards can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

By collecting her I am providing the safest all round alternative especially as she will be arriving from an area with a new variant highly-infectious outbreak. This all merely deflection by the Govt to divert attention from the absolute mess they made of everything from the start,
    keep up that nice attitude and you'll get a nice fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭HBC08

theguzman wrote: »
    I would not pay a fine for travelling abroad, I don't give two damns they could come for me and haul me to jail before I'd pay it, they don't even jail real criminals lol. I believe it to be morally wrong and thus I will not cooperate. I love to travel, it is part of my DNA at this stage, being able to travel is the only thing that makes life tolerable in Ireland.

But but but travel is in my DNA
    Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

They're not fining anyone for going on holiday. All the fines are been given out to people driving outside of their 5km

what I don't understand either is they are literally giving people a loophole to travel, by going to the airport on public transport, as they don't check buses.

I'm travelling next week to Dublin Airport to move away for a few months and I bet once again, they won't be stopping buses. Well, whatever if they do stop me, I'm literally moving away for 5/6 months so they can deem that what they like.

I have been abroad 4 times since July, and all the people on facebook saying ''aww yeah you'll be stopped at the gate and turned around and told to go home''

no one has mentioned or even asked why we were travelling. I guess they are making it sound like you'll be turned away at the gate to stop people from going to the airport.

Yes. Hotel quarantine (some quango to be yet assigned a contract) Paid out of your own pocket too.
    It’s presently suggested at 5 days to 14 days. Expect the latter to be the gold standard along with 3-4 PCR tests while in captivation ... er I mean hotel quarantine.

They're not fining anyone for going on holiday. All the fines are been given out to people driving outside of their 5km

what I don't understand either is they are literally giving people a loophole to travel, by going to the airport on public transport, as they don't check buses.

I'm travelling next week to Dublin Airport to move away for a few months and I bet once again, they won't be stopping buses.

The way things are going I wouldn't bet on it - its a fast moving situation and the posts are changing daily/weekly

Don't be surprised if they start checking busses soon. This situation seems to move like the speed of light.

Don't be surprised if they start checking busses soon. This situation seems to move like the speed of light.

Yeah but people are saying that since July :pac::pac:

I'm travelling next week to Dublin Airport to move away for a few months and I bet once again, they won't be stopping buses. Well, whatever if they do stop me, I'm literally moving away for 5/6 months so they can deem that what they like.

I have been abroad 4 times since July, and all the people on facebook saying ''aww yeah you'll be stopped at the gate and turned around and told to go home''

no one has mentioned or even asked why we were travelling. I guess they are making it sound like you'll be turned away at the gate to stop people from going to the airport.

You’re allowed outside the 5km if you have an essential reason, the holiday is deemed not essential, so you are being fined for going on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Airlines might start pulling flights if /when people stop booking them , job done then

You’re allowed outside the 5km if you have an essential reason, the holiday is deemed not essential, so you are being fined for going on holiday.

If people are getting stopped on the road by the Gardai and saying 'yeah I'm off on holiday for a week woohoo can't wait' then fair enough. At least use some discretion :pac: although I don't know anyone who'd bother going for just a week at the moment with tests, quarantine etc, anyone I know that is travelling is doing it to escape current lockdown, and come back when it's all over...

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

departure gates holiday line and essential line, holidays pay €100

• Advertisement

fm wrote: »
    Airlines might start pulling flights if /when people stop booking them , job done then

But that will never happen. People still need to travel, not just holidays.. Work, compassionate reasons, going home, moving abroad..

A leak was discovered today about travel restrictions until Summer of 2022...

I predict a mass exodus out of the country by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭NSAman

fm wrote: »

maybe the odd flight alright, but I think many of the major hubs/destinations require flights to be made due to contractual terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Are they allowing fined persons to proceed inside the airport once their details have been taken?

Are taxi drivers getting fined for transporting people to the airport?

You’d have to question anyone who believes that rumour.

Has anyone gone to Dublin airport and flown in the last few days that could maybe report as to whether they were stopped or not, or even asked any questions? because it seems they're saying this and that but not actually doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

NSAman wrote: »
    maybe the odd flight alright, but I think many of the major hubs/destinations require flights to be made due to contractual terms.

To the canaries etc, the more obvious holiday destinations

Anybody thinking about going to the Netherlands or Rotterdam might want to think again :D

Also predict that some airlines are going to fold - or be in serious financial trouble if it continues into 2022. Also all the associated staff that go with travel/airport staff etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Air coach have suspended routes from Dublin city centre to the airport so getting the coach is not an option. Maybe just dublin bus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement