Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Fair enough. I have not viewed this thread as a way to tell everyone about traveling, it’s anonymous thread. I have got some useful insights though. I used to believe at the start that we were all in this together- 12 months on I’m more of a view to make your own risk assessments. Which is what I did with travel, it is possible to travel in a safe way.

The whole thing is a mess really. Im inclined to believe it is (or has been) safe to travel in a safe way.. BUT.. with caveats:
    - It's safe for the individual traveling.
    - It's safe if not that many people travel (the more that travel, the more likely people will spread it)
    -Its safe if we don't go spreading a bunch of mutations

I think at this stage we are not so safe.. and i know that means more people suffering because for a lot if people that little bit of time away/normality was enough to be able to mentally continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

theguzman wrote: »

There is an entire culture of morons who never went 2 feet from a cow-pat or if they did they think that Malaga drinking in an Irish pub for a fortnight is the height of sophistication. My earlier trip there was my first trip there in my entire life to the Spanish mainland and I rented a car and explored as much as possible, something the lemmings would never even attempt, i sampled Spanish food, it is good and I never saw an another Irish person thankfully.

What an odious, patronizing, self righteous, condescending post. You got a cheap flight to Malaga, hired a car and ate some paella, you're hardly Michael Palin now. So behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

km991148 wrote: »
    Lots of people do. It could be argued that they are selfish fuks. Doubly so if it's to show they are clear after a wee holiday.

It could be, it could also be argued that they are grown up & are responsible travellers who won’t spend their week or two on the piss, slobbering over young ones or rammed into nightclubs etc, maybe just sit on a beach tens of meters from anyone, minding their own business, maybe enjoy a meal or drink outside in a socialy distanced environment, washing their hands regularly etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

It could be, it could also be argued that they are grown up & are responsible travellers who won’t spend their week or two on the piss, slobbering over young ones or rammed into nightclubs etc, maybe just sit on a beach tens of meters from anyone, minding their own business, maybe enjoy a meal or drink outside in a socialy distanced environment, washing their hands regularly etc

No. You misunderstood and imagined a lager lout style narrative that's not in my head.

My point was simply: You are selfish if you take a 'non essential' holiday AND THEN abuse the public service funds (by inventing symptoms).
    If you want to travel and find a way, fine. But pay for your own tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Two questions:

Does the HSE test count as a 'negative test' or does it have to be private? Don't want any 'only if you have symptoms', I'm not considering it but is it the case?

Also, what are peoples views on Ire-UK quarantine by the summer? Planning to move to London in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So as I understand the current situation after today’s news the only restriction I need not to be in force for our holiday in June is the 5km travel one?

I’m ok with the pcr test 72 hours before each flight, I think that’s reasonable enough, I’ll ring for another hse test once home. That will mean three pcr tests in sixteen or seventeen days
    I’ve no doubt that it won’t be enough for some people though

You think it's ok for you to be adding 3 discretionary tests that should be being used to test actual close contacts for public health? The system it under enough pressure as it is.

I would hope that however they manage it, that a HSE test does not cover someone for travel in order to prevent such abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Two questions:

Does the HSE test count as a 'negative test' or does it have to be private? Don't want any 'only if you have symptoms', I'm not considering it but is it the case?

Also, what are peoples views on Ire-UK quarantine by the summer? Planning to move to London in June.

Yes it counts. But hse only send a text you need a cert for most airports, I’m using a private service to ensure I can get the certificate sent via email. Maybe hse does this too I’m not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

No the HSE only send texts, so it is of no use for travel.

Ah ok fair enough. I’m using boots service. €139 and they will give a cert on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

928 new cases and 90 deaths reported today. Very sad to hear about the amount of deaths today. Thoughts are with all of the families and friends who have lost that special person in their lives.

The new cases are now at 928 and we are only at the 26th of January. This is looking very good, the number of cases will be much lower by March if this pattern continues over the coming weeks. Some positivity for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Do we know if the traffic light system will still be operated?

I know the thoughts of getting to 25 per 100k 14 day average seems a stretch but just wondering if a country in Europe met this criteria what is the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You think it's ok for you to be adding 3 discretionary tests that should be being used to test actual close contacts for public health? The system it under enough pressure as it is.

I would hope that however they manage it, that a HSE test does not cover someone for travel in order to prevent such abuse.

No, two private pre flight ones , pretty sure the hse ones aren’t accepted for travel as no certificate is provided, just a text message

Do we know if the traffic light system will still be operated?

I know the thoughts of getting to 25 per 100k 14 day average seems a stretch but just wondering if a country in Europe met this criteria what is the situation?

I think its still being operated but much of Europe is still in a sea of blood red :( maybe by March Ireland might get back to orange status.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

RobitTV wrote: »
    I think its still being operated but much of Europe is still in a sea of blood red :( maybe by March Ireland might get back to orange status.

Makes no difference after today’s announcement

Question: Lets say in the possible event we go back to Level 3 in the future. Will the Gardai still be doing checkpoints by the airports? I can't see it happening if Level 5 is no longer around.

Question: Lets say in the possible event we go back to Level 3 in the future. Will the Gardai still be doing checkpoints by the airports? I can't see it happening if Level 5 is no longer around.

Not sure. I flew to Poland in level 3 in October and there were no checkpoints anywhere near the airport, infact I only came across one checkpoint my all the way from Waterford to Dublin.

If we go back to level 3 I’d imagine the ‘increased Garda checkpoints’ would be no more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

An increased 500 Euro fines now for people caught going to airports/ports on non essential travel just announced by Taoiseach Michael Martin.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Makes no difference after today’s announcement

Why? If Ireland is green then you wont need a test entering Spain. That matters to me.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    An increased 500 Euro fines now for people caught going to airports/ports on non essential travel just announced by Taoiseach Michael Martin.

I stand corrected in my previous comments. I didnt think this would be implemented.

Crazy that nearly a year in when the end is supposedly in sight with vaccines, they implement the harshest restrictions to date

LuasSimon wrote: »

And how will this be enforced if Level 5 is gone at some point in the future? The 5km limit will have been removed and there is no chance of enforcing it without the 5km limit.

You could also just say you are leaving the country and emigrating if anybody asks.

• Advertisement

And how will this be enforced if Level 5 is gone at some point in the future? The 5km limit will have been removed and there is no chance of enforcing it without the 5km limit.

well no, the 5km doesnt change whats essential and whats not. People are very confused by the 5km limit.

well no, the 5km doesnt change whats essential and whats not. People are very confused by the 5km limit.

Yes, but if you travel up to the airport when the 5km limit is in place, then you are more likely to be caught and interviewed in general.

If you go back to Level 3, you can travel in your own county and there is no legal basis for stopping people travelling outside of it.

You could just say you are going for a spin since there is no legal limit anymore. The Gardai can only recommend you don't travel outside of your county.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Why? If Ireland is green then you wont need a test entering Spain. That matters to me.

Yeah but what about when you get home

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

Yes, but if you travel up to the airport when the 5km limit is in place, then you are more likely to be caught and interviewed in general.

If you go back to Level 3, you can travel in your own county and there is no legal basis for stopping people travelling outside of it.

You could just say you are going for a spin since there is no legal limit anymore. The Gardai can only recommend you don't travel outside of your county.

They’re trying to stop imported strains. The UK and other European countries are doing the same. International travel will be severely restricted for a while, regardless of “level”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Lockdown will continue here all year as B117 will simply not allow us to congregate or travel without vaccine. Vaccine supply now in bits due to EU incompetence as Astra has contractual obligations in Belgium to other countries iteland now getting less then 40% of needed supply ( and even 100 % want enough anyway )

The 5km will be here till next year as we will not have 70 % vaccinated unti spring 2022 and god help us if this requires an annul jab , we will tie up everyone that can wield a syringe for the rest of their lives.

They’re trying to stop imported strains. The UK and other European countries are doing the same. International travel will be severely restricted for a while, regardless of “level”.

They have to enforce it. Who is going to stop someone with a negative PCR test boarding a airplane at Dublin Airport this March or April? That is all you will need to be able to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

They have to enforce it. Who is going to stop someone with a negative PCR test boarding a airplane at Dublin Airport this March or April? That is all you will need to be able to travel.

The guards are stopping people on the airport road that’s who.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Lockdown will continue here all year as B117 will simply not allow us to congregate or travel without vaccine. Vaccine supply now in bits due to EU incompetence as Astra has contractual obligations in Belgium to other countries iteland now getting less then 40% of needed supply ( and even 100 % want enough anyway )

The 5km will be here till next year as we will not have 70 % vaccinated unti spring 2022

I have to disagree with you about the 5km limit being here until 2022. I think they will relax the travel rules to county levels.

BoatMad wrote: »
    The guards are stopping people on the airport road that’s who.

They won't be there when Lockdown is over. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Supposed to be travelling to Zanzibar Sunday. Am I going to lose this trip now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement