Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

RobitTV wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you about the 5km limit being here until 2022. I think they will relax the travel rules to county levels.

Can’t. B117 transmissibility is such that any relaxation will have numbers spiking

We will not get out of this lockdown until we are vaccinated at least the 4 major vulnerable groups and now that’s completely in doubt till late this year or next year.

mulbot wrote: »
    Supposed to be travelling to Zanzibar Sunday. Am I going to lose this trip now?

It’s just cost you €500 but it’s worth it to get out , best stay out till 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

And how will this be enforced if Level 5 is gone at some point in the future? The 5km limit will have been removed and there is no chance of enforcing it without the 5km limit.

You could also just say you are leaving the country and emigrating if anybody asks.

I presume they’ll just continue to make it up as they go along. Varadkar picked his words carefully enough last night- this is not short term, international travel restrictions are here for at least a year.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

BoatMad wrote: »
    It’s just cost you €500 but it’s worth it to get out , best stay out till 2022

This 500e, I presume its if the Gardai decide to issue it?,

This 500e, I presume its if the Gardai decide to issue it?,

Tell them you’re emigrating , that’s an essential journey now to get out of this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Tell them you’re emigrating , that’s an essential journey now to get out of this mess.

Or better yet, instead of lying to the cops why not just plan a holiday in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

In all honesty you could just say you are emigrating and have secured work abroad to get around any potential fine that is issued to you. It's not the morally right thing to do. But yeah I understand some people are desperate to leave for many different reasons.

I presume they’ll just continue to make it up as they go along. Varadkar picked his words carefully enough last night- this is not short term, international travel restrictions are here for at least a year.

Time to protest. This is a massive infringement of civil liberties. It’s one thing to prevent people coming in it’s entirely wrong to prevent people leaving

Or better yet, instead of lying to the cops why not just plan a holiday in Ireland?

You mean in 2022. And what’s to say it won’t be fixed here by then , they told us that last year.

Are you being serious?

• Advertisement

Time to protest. This is a massive infringement of civil liberties. It’s one thing to prevent people coming in it’s entirely wrong to prevent people leaving

You know what else is an infringement of civil liberties? Death

In all honesty you could just say you are emigrating and have secured work abroad to get around any potential fine that is issued to you. It's not the morally right thing to do. But yeah I understand some people are desperate to leave for many different reasons.

We incapable of fixing this, Ireland can’t build hospital or install broadband how can it fix a massive pandemic.

Are you being serious?

Yep, I did it last year, it's not very hard to do at all

Is the 500e fine in immediate effect?

You know what else is an infringement of civil liberties? Death

Well we must be infringing it every year since the start of creation so. Last time I looked humans aren’t immortal

Is the 500e fine in immediate effect?

I believe so. There’s is opinion it’s unconstitutional to prevent people leaving the country that have commited no offence. I expect we will see challenges

Yep, I did it last year, it's not very hard to do at all

Yea, no thanks. Its actually hard to do it here if I can't go more than 5km

Yea, no thanks.

Not to mention all you could do is “ plan “ a holiday here, this is not last year , it’s totally different

People simply aren’t getting the effect of b117 , without a vaccine we are NOT coming out of lockdown ever

And the vaccine rollout is currently screwed

Well we must be infringing it every year since the start of creation so. Last time I looked humans aren’t immortal

Would you consider going on a holiday and bringing a deadly virus back that eventually kills multiple a restriction on their civil liberties though?

I believe so. There’s is opinion it’s unconstitutional to prevent people leaving the country that have commited no offence. I expect we will see challenges

Traveling outside of 5km is currently an offence so unless it's a very short plane journey I don't see how you wouldn't be committing an offence

• Advertisement

Traveling outside of 5km is currently an offence so unless it's a very short plane journey I don't see how you wouldn't be committing an offence

Would "I'm visiting a grave in Zanzibar" work"? :)

Leaving the country isn’t an offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Seems like there will be a number of checkpoints around airports and ports . I’d imagine Dublin Airport in particular will have checkpoints on all approach roads .

If it is the case there’s no non essential travel in or out of the country for most of this year there will be some amount of hospitality staff still on PUP etc for the rest of the year .

Would you consider going on a holiday and bringing a deadly virus back that eventually kills multiple a restriction on their civil liberties though?

The deadly virus is here or haven’t you noticed
    We can’t overcome the U.K. variant by lockdowns it won’t work this isn’t March 2020

Anyway why would anyone want to come back here

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I left Ireland which had a rate of 6000 cases per 100k to go to a place with 100 cases per 100k. I was I more likely to bring a deadly virus back?

I was tested on the way over and will be on the way back and again after 5 days plus I’ll be basically self isolating till March as I work from home. I wish people would stop being so simplistic about travel. There is a huge difference between the above and somebody returning from an area of virus variants to take their place on a meat processing Plant the 2 days later.

As for holidays in Ireland, did it last year and I’ll save my money this year for when international travel opens up such was last years cost and experience.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

The EU is debating putting areas of high infection on a deep red travel list with further travel restrictions, and this will include Ireland as the numbers stand. I don't see why people are so keen to travel and possibly spend 14 days detained in quarantine and then be released into another country that is also in lockdown, or even under a curfew. The police in Spain and other countries don't have as much patience with those who bend the rules either. Going abroad doesn't mean escaping restrictions at the moment. Trying to enjoy the small things nearby and engaging in virtual tourism seems a bit easier.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Seems like there will be a number of checkpoints around airports and ports . I’d imagine Dublin Airport in particular will have checkpoints on all approach roads .

If it is the case there’s no non essential travel in or out of the country for most of this year there will be some amount of hospitality staff still on PUP etc for the rest of the year .

It might be best to make a run out vis NI. Also you could stand a chance of getting the vaccine there too

Anyway at €500 I think it’s worth it.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    The EU is debating putting areas of high infection on a deep red travel list with further travel restrictions, and this will include Ireland as the numbers stand. I don't see why people are so eager to travel to possibly spend 14 days detained in quarantine and then be released into another country that is also in lockdown. There are even curfews in some areas. The police in Spain and other countries don't have as much patience with those who bend the rules either. Going abroad doesn't mean escaping restrictions right now.

Depends where you go.

Leaving the country isn’t an offence

Again... Traveling outside of 5km is currently an offence

• Advertisement

Dr. Em wrote: »
    The EU is debating putting areas of high infection on a deep red travel list with further travel restrictions, and this will include Ireland as the numbers stand. I don't see why people are so eager to travel to possibly spend 14 days detained in quarantine and then be released into another country that is also in lockdown. There are even curfews in some areas. The police in Spain and other countries don't have as much patience with those who bend the rules either. Going abroad doesn't mean escaping restrictions right now.

Finland and many Scandi have relatively relaxed quarantines. Currently few countries have mandatory hotel based quarantine

Travel isn’t the problem. Less then 1% of infections are occurring that way

You have 10000 lorry drivers entering this country a week. Funny that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement