Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Again... Traveling outside of 5km is currently an offence

So if the airport is within 5km its legal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

BoatMad wrote: »
    Would you consider going on a holiday and bringing a deadly virus back that eventually kills multiple a restriction on their civil liberties though?

The deadly virus is here or haven’t you noticed
    We can’t overcome the U.K. variant by lockdowns it won’t work this isn’t March 2020

Anyway why would anyone want to come back here

So yes or no to my question? Personally I don't think it's much better than murder

Again... Traveling outside of 5km is currently an offence

You are allowed a whole series of exceptions , personally I’m leaving for a year.

And just because someone tells you it’s illegal doesn’t make in wrong , civil rights are just that.

So if the airport is within 5km its legal

As long as you don't travel more than 5km on an airplane yeah sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

5 km limit is only for exercise. Some prefer to ignore that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Just out of interest, how will the Gardai get proof of the non-essential nature of your journey. If you’re flying to visit your dying auntie Mary in Malaga, how far will they be able to go with investigating this possible crime?

You are allowed a whole series of exceptions , personally I’m leaving for a year.

And just because someone tells you it’s illegal doesn’t make in wrong , civil rights are just that.

And just because it's legal doesn't make it right... Like how self isolation wasn't law when you returned from last year's holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

As long as you don't travel more than 5km on an airplane yeah sure

Ah stop being so ridiculous.

5km travel from your home is banned, yes, unless you are travelling abroad for many possible essential reasons scenarios, work, compassionate/family, moving abroad, education....

I'm flying on Monday and have my 1 way ticket ready to show the guard if he/she asks, or stops me, which I highly doubt they will since they haven't the last few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I suppose the new Garda covid air force are going to pull the airplane over in mid air for an inspection. Then turf everyone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

5km travel from your home is banned, yes, unless you are travelling abroad for many possible essential reasons scenarios, work, compassionate/family, moving abroad, education....

I'm flying on Monday and have my 1 way ticket ready to show the guard if he/she asks, or stops me, which I highly doubt they will since they haven't the last few times.

I wonder what gets accepted.

If I am heading along with my French girlfriend to go visit her sick mother is this an essential reason and will I be allowed through?

• Advertisement

Moving house is a legally valid reason to travel beyond 5km, it's not specific to international travel
    Multipass wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how will the Gardai get proof of the non-essential nature of your journey. If you’re flying to visit your dying auntie Mary in Malaga, how far will they be able to go with investigating this possible crime?

Your passport gets scanned in Ireland and in Spain, the onus would probably be on you to prove it was an essential trip

If I am heading along with my French girlfriend to go visit her sick mother is this an essential reason and will I be allowed through?

You should be but you could be caught at the checkpoint so leave plenty of time and bring proof if possible, and remember that even for essential journeys you need the PCR tests etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Finland and many Scandi have relatively relaxed quarantines. Currently few countries have mandatory hotel based quarantine

Travel isn’t the problem. Less then 1% of infections are occurring that way

You have 10000 lorry drivers entering this country a week. Funny that.

You haven't checked small print recently. Denmark had a near-complete travel-ban in mid Jan and is now rolling out mandatory quarantine hotels. Norway has a mandatory hotel quarantine for anyone who doesn't have a residence in Norway and Oslo is in a strict lockdown. They even tried banning the sale of alcohol. Finland is only allowing certain essential workers, residents and citizens to enter. Sweden is more relaxed, but is closing down travel with certain countries.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    You haven't checked small print recently. Denmark had a near-complete travel-ban in mid Jan and is now rolling out mandatory quarantine hotels. Norway has a mandatory hotel quarantine for anyone who doesn't have a residence in Norway and Oslo is in a strict lockdown. They even tried banning the sale of alcohol. Finland is only allowing certain essential workers, residents and citizens to enter. Sweden is more relaxed, but is closing down travel with certain countries.

I’m staying away for over a year. 14 days in quarantine isn’t a problem one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Your passport gets scanned in Ireland and in Spain, the onus would probably be on you to prove it was an essential trip

That doesn’t make sense. They’re only talking about checkpoints on airport roads, not the CIA tracking down citizens abroad. The onus will be on the Garda at the roadside to prove that the story you’re telling him isn’t true. Some people will in fact be travelling to sick relatives, but I can’t think of an easy way that can be proved at a checkpoint :pac:

And just because it's legal doesn't make it right... Like how self isolation wasn't law when you returned from last year's holidays

I did my quarantine thanks.

I’m staying away for over a year. 14 days in quarantine isn’t a problem one way or the other.

Where you headed if you don't mind me asking? Anywhere nice?

That doesn’t make sense. They’re only talking about checkpoints on airport roads, not the CIA tracking down citizens abroad. The onus will be on the Garda at the roadside to prove that the story you’re telling him isn’t true. Some people will in fact be travelling to sick relatives, but I can’t think of an easy way that can be proved at a checkpoint :pac:

Correct the Garda must have a “reasonable “ suspicion to issue a fine it’s not just arbitrarily

I'm sure just you saying that alone will be fine! Similar to me, if I get stopped and asked, I will let them know I'm moving away for a few months, and if they need proof, I have my one way travel ticket, but I don't see it going that far to be honest!

Where you headed if you don't mind me asking? Anywhere nice?

Yes it’s nice thanks. Lockdown in 30 degrees is better then a miserable summer here. I’ll stay away through the winter and then reevaluate 2022 essentially I’m moving domicile

• Advertisement

Yes it’s nice thanks. Lockdown in 30 degrees is better then a miserable summer here. I’ll stay away through the winter and then reevaluate 2022 essentially I’m moving domicile

I disagree, I'd rather have more freedoms in ****e weather than being locked down in the sun... Each to their own though!

I disagree, I'd rather have more freedoms in ****e weather than being locked down in the sun... Each to their own though!

well that's not an option since Ireland is in full lockdown so I'd choose the other lockdown in the sun anyday over wet and cold Ireland :rolleyes:

I was lockdowned last year there ( with a curfew ) still preferable. Had to come home for family reasons. Bad decision

Would be wonderful to be in Lanzarote now. Life is close to normal, they just have a night curfew and the bars and restaurants close earlier. When the cases decline they will close at 12am again.

well that's not an option since Ireland is in full lockdown so I'd choose the other lockdown in the sun anyday over wet and cold Ireland :rolleyes:

You think this lockdown will last much longer? Numbers have been looking good the last few days I don't think we will be in lockdown past march! I don't know, if I've nice weather I wanna be out if it's crap weather it's easier for me to stay at home...

I was lockdowned last year there ( with a curfew ) still preferable. Had to come home for family reasons. Bad decision

Family reasons are good reasons though...

RobitTV wrote: »
    Would be wonderful to be in Lanzarote now. Life is close to normal, they just have a night curfew and the bars and restaurants close earlier. When the cases decline they will close at 12am again.

Most of those holiday destinations had a cap on the virus last summer as well, Cyprus and Malta were even on our 'green list' Even today I think there's a popular Greek island that still has no cases but the name of it escapes me

The problem is they all allowed the tourists in and the virus went out of control again

Most of those holiday destinations had a cap on the virus last summer as well, Cyprus and Malta were even on our 'green list' Even today I think there's a popular Greek island that still has no cases but the name of it escapes me

The problem is they all allowed the tourists in and the virus went out of control again

I read on some of the Lanzarote local groups that they are pointing the finger at students who came home from mainland Spain without a PCR test and began mixing heavily with family and friends across the island.

Tourists who arrived from UK and Ireland have had to get a test done beforehand for weeks now. And tourists don't generally mix with much of the local population, because the locals are trying to avoid contact with the tourists and stay at home.

There was a huge amount of mixing at Christmas time in Lanzarote. They seem to be blaming the local population and returning family members on this occasion.

The tourist season ran a quite normal period last summer in Corfu. Even as the lockdown occurred it had low numbers the problem being Athens and surrounding areas.

It’s not tourists that are causing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't think you understand how these things work in practice.

Guard can issue you with a fine if he doesn't accept your excuse and it's up to you to contest it later if you want

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    I read on some of the Lanzarote local groups that they are pointing the finger at students who came home from mainland Spain without a PCR test and began mixing heavily with family and friends across the island.

Tourists who arrived from UK and Ireland have had to get a test done beforehand for weeks now. And tourists don't generally mix with much of the local population, because the locals are trying to avoid contact with the tourists and stay at home.

There was a huge amount of mixing at Christmas time in Lanzarote. They seem to be blaming the local population and returning family members on this occasion.

Correct I have close friends in Corfu. The summer ran close to normal and numbers stayed low despite tourists coming in

The issue restarted in Athens not the tourist areas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement