Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Most of those holiday destinations had a cap on the virus last summer as well, Cyprus and Malta were even on our 'green list' Even today I think there's a popular Greek island that still has no cases but the name of it escapes me.The problem is they all allowed the tourists in and the virus went out of control again

Cyprus and Malta barely lasted a month on Ireland's "Green" list, PCR test for Irish passengers to Cyprus and Temperature checks and declarations at the airport in Malta..
    Both Islands have managed to maintain their tourism/hospitality sectors when Ireland closed theirs. Both have lower cases of the virus than Ireland has now.

Greece has 6,000 Islands so yea I would imagine that one still has no cases... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

BoatMad wrote: »
    The tourist season ran a quite normal period last summer in Corfu. Even as the lockdown occurred it had low numbers the problem being Athens and surrounding areas.

It’s not tourists that are causing this.

I'd imagine it was a much quieter tourist season with much less in the way of big gatherings

I'd imagine it was a much quieter tourist season with much less in the way of big gatherings

In a year of a new Virus causing a pandemic, I believe you're stating the obvious.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

RobitTV wrote: »
    Would be wonderful to be in Lanzarote now. Life is close to normal, they just have a night curfew and the bars and restaurants close earlier. When the cases decline they will close at 12am again.

Prime Time about to do a job on Lanzarote now.

Ffs it's probably one of the safest places in Europe to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Yes but the restaurants and bars were all open etc. It’s wasn’t “ normal “ but a hell of a lot better then here for example.

• Advertisement

Prime Time about to do a job on Lanzarote now.

Eamonn Ryan managing to stay awake long enough to tell us he wants to cut all travel.... What he means is by Car/van/motorbike and Airplane... Cuts carbon emissions for our "Green future".....

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

5 km limit is only for exercise. Some prefer to ignore that fact.

False

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354102672593326080

Alan Kelly up on his high horse now questioning the type and by extension ethics of people going Lanzarote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Alan Kelly really attacking Lanzarote and the people who have went there. He should stay up in his ivory tower.

Alan Kelly up on his high horse now questioning the type and by extension ethics of people going Lanzarote.

The greatest suppression of civil liberties ever seen in this state. Even during the war 80000 people traveled to the U.K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

cheek of him too, did you hear the smart comment, 'Well my mother in law died and our family didn't get to visit'

:rolleyes:

So many false hoods being spread on Primetime. "If we don't have mandatory quarantine we will never defeat this virus" - Rubbish.

Alan Kelly really attacking Lanzarote and the people who have went there. He should stay up in his ivory tower.

He's politicking. Easy for him to be preaching at this moment. You can be sure if he he was in Government it would be a different story.

Odious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

BoatMad wrote: »
    The greatest suppression of civil liberties ever seen in this state. Even during the war 80000 people traveled to the U.K.

For What Died the Sons of Róisín, was it fame
    For what flowed Irelands blood in rivers,
    That began when Brian chased the Dane,
    And did not cease nor has not ceased,
    With the brave sons of '16,

It was obviously to be able to jet off on your holliers on a 49.99 Ryanair flight in the middle of a pandemic.

Kelly wanted to keep the pubs outside Dublin open and didn't want to ban takeaway pints either: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-31009728.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Eamon Ryan fumbled his way through Primetime but comes across as a reasonable bloke trying to do his best
    Alan Kelly was over the top attacking ryan and if kelly had his way there won’t be anyone going on holidays outside Ireland this year or even next year the way he’s talking

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

its wierd though in the group of people that surround me they would think its crazy and irresponsible to fly somewhere.

but me i just want to get the hell outta here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Those coming off the lanzarote flight were fairly ducking the cameras ... think one of the passengers looked like that judge Seamus Woulfe lol

So many false hoods being spread on Primetime. "If we don't have mandatory quarantine we will never defeat this virus" - Rubbish.

It’s just nonsense , thousands crossing the border and were focusing on a handful of travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I don't think you understand how these things work in practice.

Guard can issue you with a fine if he doesn't accept your excuse and it's up to you to contest it later if you want

Courts will be clogged up with this nonsense.

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Those coming off the lanzarote flight were fairly ducking the cameras ... think one of the passengers looked like that judge Seamus Woulfe lol

its not on though that they have cameras in peoples faces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The people coming back from the Canaries were a lot safer over there during January and December than in Ireland. Fair play to them.

What a disgrace we have turned on people. The Canaries have very low COVID rates and were much safer for people than Ireland in recent months

Any respect i had for Alan Kelly is finished. Populist joker.

For what flowed Irelands blood in rivers,
    That began when Brian chased the Dane,
    And did not cease nor has not ceased,
    With the brave sons of '16,

It was obviously to be able to jet off on your holliers on a 49.99 Ryanair flight in the middle of a pandemic.

That’s not the point

We’re are focusing on fixing something that isn’t the problem while ignoring 10000 lorry drivers and thousands crossing from NI. Typically Irish. It’s a placebo to convince a gullible public that we at ev” doing “‘something

The truth is much worse. There is no relief from lockdown in 2021 , we can lock up tourist. It won’t make a blind bit of difference

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan fumbled his way through Primetime but comes across as a reasonable bloke trying to do his best

Well worth his €100,000++ a year salary along with Ryan’s three advisers who are all paid between €87,000 and €101,114.

Taxpayer money well spent.

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    its not on though that they have cameras in peoples faces

I thought the same. It was nothing but shaming passengers coming back from a safer place than here.

I can imagine some relations won't be happy with me after watching that tonight after I travelled there 5 weeks ago.

It was nothing but an attempt at shaming and riling up the conversation in the population. Disgusting TV to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, Prime Time might as well have put bullseyes on those people in the airport coming back from Lanzarote.

Nothing like stirring up the pot of hatred.

I just saw the video on Primetime interviewing the Lanzarote passengers. Cheek of them trying to get people on camera for an interview. They have a right to a level of privacy.

Now those people will face much aggression when they return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well worth his €100,000++ a year salary along with Ryan’s three advisers who are all paid between €87,000 and €101,114.

Taxpayer money well spent.

The Greens must be delighted never in their wildest dreams did they imagine they could cut Co2 emissions so much, all it took was the effective imprisonment of the entire population.

I thought the same. It was nothing but shaming passengers coming back from a safer place than here.

I can imagine some relations won't be happy with me after watching that tonight after I travelled there 5 weeks ago.

It was nothing but an attempt at shaming and riling up the conversation in the population. Disgusting TV to be honest.

how is it legal though? dont you have to sign a waiver/disclaimer etc

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    The Greens must be delighted never in their wildest dreams did they imagine they could cut Co2 emissions so much, all it took was the effective imprisonment of the entire population.

LOL - slogan of their election campaign next time around

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement