Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I thought the same. It was nothing but shaming passengers coming back from a safer place than here.

I can imagine some relations won't be happy with me after watching that tonight after I travelled there 5 weeks ago.

It was nothing but an attempt at shaming and riling up the conversation in the population. Disgusting TV to be honest.

On the day 90 people are said to have died , those that went to Lanzarote got it between the eyes on that programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    how is it legal though? dont you have to sign a waiver/disclaimer etc
    Airport is a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

RTE and some of the newspapers have been twisting the screws, trying to get people angry and riled up. The level of anger about travel all of a sudden is very bizarre. The media are keeping this travel narrative going so people can be demonized and attacked for daring to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

LuasSimon wrote: »
    On the day 90 people are said to have died , those that went to Lanzarote got it between the eyes on that programme

i didnt watch the show #rteplayersucks but we dont know their reasons for travelling and sorry but didnt the times of the scarlett letter pass us or are we just going to continue to paint a red letter A on anyone who makes an unpopular decision. it wasnt illegal what they did was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

i didnt watch the show #rteplayersucks but we dont know their reasons for travelling and sorry but didnt the times of the scarlett letter pass us or are we just going to continue to paint a red letter A on anyone who makes an unpopular decision. it wasnt illegal what they did was it?

Perhaps they should all wear the cross of david.

• Advertisement

Airport is a public place.

ok.... so you sign off your rights to have your face broadcasted on TV because you happen to be in a public place?

wierd

must research it a bit

i'm sure they can sue somehow

always a loophole

Would a pilgrimage to Lourdes fall under essential??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It would be if they left their house without "reasonable excuse" after the current restrictions were implemented which made it illegal to do so.

In fairness, they can hardly claim they weren't aware they weren't supposed to go now can they?

RobitTV wrote: »
    RTE and some of the newspapers have been twisting the screws trying people to get angry for weeks now. The level of anger about travel all of a sudden is very bizarre. The media are keeping this travel narrative going so people can be demonized and attacked for daring to travel.

it was their personal decision and not illegal. i'm really tired of these polarised and absolute thought processes with people which doesnt allow for any nuances.

BoatMad wrote: »
    That’s not the point

We’re are focusing on fixing something that isn’t the problem while ignoring 10000 lorry drivers and thousands crossing from NI. Typically Irish. It’s a placebo to convince a gullible public that we at ev” doing “‘something

The truth is much worse. There is no relief from lockdown in 2021 , we can lock up tourist. It won’t make a blind bit of difference

In fairness, you can't really moan about lorry drivers (doing the definition of an essential job) and at the same time say it's grand to be off flying willy-nilly about the globe for a week in the sum and a few sangrias on the beach for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭HBC08

it was their personal decision and not illegal. i'm really tired of these polarised and absolute thought processes with people which doesnt allow for any nuances.

Welcome to Boards and online discourse in general.

It would be if they left their house without "reasonable excuse" after the current restrictions were implemented which made it illegal to do so.

In fairness, they can hardly claim they weren't aware they weren't supposed to go now can they?

but sure maybe they had a reason? i didnt watch it - what reasons did they give?

im not defending what they did but I dont think anyone should be pleased that ordinary people are being vilified by the media

Primetime: "The vast majority didn't want to talk to us and they didn't want to be identified"

Oh the cheek of those passengers! they should of been identified and sent off to the local Garda station for questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The Government is trying to blame Brazilians, South Africans and a few OAP's who went to Lanzarote for their own disgraceful handling of the situation. These are the same hypocrites who broke the rules to go Golfing in Clifden last year. There is plenty landlords in FFG who made an absolute fortune out of exploiting Brazilians in Dublin with 4 or 6 to a room in Bunkbeds charging them €500 per month.

Anyone who knows me here will know I am far from PC or anything like this but this is just downright absolute Racism to target Brazilian and South Africans. The Spanish flu didn't originate in Spain no-more than this is originating in Brazil or South Africa.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Welcome to Boards and online discourse in general.

i mean in general - this happens in every day life also - people dont think creatively - its all so one noted

theguzman wrote: »
    The Government is trying to blame Brazilians, South Africans and a few OAP's who went to Lanzarote for their own disgraceful handling of the situation. These are the same hypocrites who broke the rules to go Golfing in Clifden last year. There is plenty landlords in FFG who made an absolute fortune out of exploiting Brazilians in Dublin with 4 or 6 to a room in Bunkbeds charging them €500 per month.

Anyone who knows me here will know I am far from PC or anything like this but this is just downright absolute Racism to target Brazilian and South Africans. The Spanish flu didn't originate in Spain no-more than this is originating in Brazil or South Africa.

is that who they were filming coming off the flight?

Primetime: "The vast majority didn't want to talk to us and they didn't want to be identified"

Oh the cheek of those passengers! they should of been identified and sent off to the local Garda station for questioning.

Apparently the flight wasnt that full circa 90 people.

A bit like Golfgate will we get the names of those on LanzaroteGate??

i'm not liking where the media is going lately

#LanzaroteGate - We now have a new crisis on our shores

Time to identify all of those passengers!

Apparently the flight wasnt that full circa 90 people.

A bit like Golfgate will we get the names of those on LanzaroteGate??

they are not public figures but ordinary citizens - it would be disgraceful if they were identified w/o consent

• Advertisement

government or media?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Would a pilgrimage to Lourdes fall under essential??

You'd hope it doesn't.

I think that anyone who plans to break restrictions for their own holiday waives their right to be outraged at their golf-gate comrades.

They aren't targeting Brazilians or South Africans. They are targeting people who have been there recently and who are now coming here

This is serious. Don't be surprised if the local busybodies who sit at home and watch out the window begin 'leaking' to the media the names of these passengers.

In fairness, you can't really moan about lorry drivers (doing the definition of an essential job) and at the same time say it's grand to be off flying willy-nilly about the globe for a week in the sum and a few sangrias on the beach for the craic.

I can. Because if you are trying to stamp out trans national movement why not address the 90% problem not the 10% one

Reason of course is the 80% needs tough decisions, wheats the 10% is a sop to public opinion ( it’s called populism , see trump )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They should have all been arrested on the spot for flouting COVID laws

Just March them to the railway siding

I think public execution would be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

in lanzarote atm, has been a big spike in the last couple of weeks just like ireland locals know it spread in family gatherings at there homes over the festive season tourists obeying curfews and parsial lockdowns street very quite few about, masking and social distancing complaince visible feel very safe.
    Lots of politiical grandstanding on banning travel what next shackles? nobody is deliberatly spreading, this is a padmemic we have to live through it all life cannot stop.
    RTE flying the flag for complete social annihilation through this pandemic bunch of hipocrites should have been reprimanded for the party of a recent departing colleague

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    I can. Because of you are trying to stamp out trans national movement why not address the 90% problem not the 10% one

Reason of course is the 80% needs tough decisions, wheats the 10% is a sop to public opinion

The things you buy in your local Tesco, even if you order online, were on the back of a lorry at one stage. If you want the lorries to stop, sure just stop buying food and medicines etc. :cool:

Then if everyone stops buying anything, we won't need the lorry driver to drive their trucks and sure they can all go off on their holliers to Lanzarote. Problem solved and society saved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement