Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

It is quite simple. I don't' know how you can't wrap your head around it. People are not personally concerned at the level of risk you decide to expose yourself to. You can go to London and lick all the doorhandles and toilet seats you can find if you want. Or you can go to the North pole and live in an igloo on your own. As long as you don't come back. If you are coming back, then there is an issue

The people don't care whether the rate in your estate or town or village is 10 or 100 or 1000. They only care about controlling the the spread of the disease. Travel spreads the disease. Unnecessary travel is stupid and impacts everyone by prolonging it for everyone - including yourself.

So if I get tested both ways and isolate, travelling to a safer covid area....you’d have a massive problem with that? But if I stay within 5km and go daily to a busy spar you wouldn’t? Think about that for 5 seconds

Btw I don’t think you speak for “the people” anymore Donald thou art ruler and knowing sage of all people

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Maybe a few of the super-rich who can afford to have plans cancelled at the last minute

Urghhh the super rich! Even when it was covid I knew it was them super rich *wave fist aggressively*

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

TallyRand wrote: »
    Oh no please don’t! What will I do if I can’t access boards.ie dear god!!

Gold star for you on your covid safety, have a little smug moment there ....keep up the finger wagging. It’s all the fault of the people who have been in a safer area and where tested before arrival back here.

Mod

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

One airlines statistics for 2020, obviously not in Ireland, but strangely enough that country isn’t riddled with COVID, PCR before arrival, log on to tracking APP, PCR after 48 hours.

541072.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

I'm sure Lanzarote will be number one on the gossip list for all the twitter brigade when they all queue up on top of each other for their essential coffee at the coffee shops this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Listening to the Radio and reading between the lines it seems the Gardai cannot enforce these travel measures

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

smurfjed wrote: »
    One airlines statistics for 2020, obviously not in Ireland, but strangely enough that country isn’t riddled with COVID, PCR before arrival, log on to tracking APP, PCR after 48 hours.

541072.jpeg

What airline is that? Looks very fake to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Gael23 wrote: »
    Listening to the Radio and reading between the lines it seems the Gardai cannot enforce these travel measures

I'm just going by what others here said but they can't prevent you from heading to the airport and getting off. However you'll be getting a fine from them before being let go.

I've a flight at 7am in Friday to Paris then Colombia, I originally planned to arrive at about 5am. But now I'm going to arrive at 4/4:15am in hope that there isn't any checkpoints so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was kind of worried when I saw lanzarote was trending on Twitter this am.

My folks are there, they have been there since start of November and probably unlikely to be back before November this year. They tend to spend at least 6 months every year there anyway.
    They also are in northern ireland rather than the south. They got test before leaving and test on arrival.
    I know there was a big spike in numbers after Christmas and the three kings.

I am also not sure how they are positioned to tell the difference between someone heading off on a weekend city break and someone who is genuinely leaving Ireland to go and see out the lockdown elsewhere. A lot of people who can work from home are leaving are leaving for a good while I think, given the cheap accommodation in warmer climes. I'm going to Valencia in a few days and plan to be there for 3 months. if you show a Guard a one way ticket how are they to determine whether or not the travel is frivolous or permitted (a relocation / house move is allowed under the restrictions - like I can drive from Dublin to Cork with no penalty if I am moving or viewing a house).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anyone still hoping to get away September/October?

Expecting to go July and August, not just hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

The reaction and 'public flogging' of people in Lanzarote is crazy. My dad usually heads by himself every xmas (he hates xmas, awful upbringing etc). He didn't go this year but he was tempted....he just hit retirement age and his business is pretty much gone now due to all this (no PUP due to his age and no chance now of selling on the business). He's depressed and badly wants to get away this year....in the past we were telling him he can't go but now I'm supporting his choice....if he gets away this summer he'll be going to an apartment by himself, hikes by himself etc. He has high blood pressure too and every-time he gets away it comes down. The dialogue by the gov and RTE that no end in sight if just crazy and so hard on people especially when they really have no basis for saying 2021 is a write off.

On a side note we rebooked a cancelled holiday for end June. We're thinking of postponing till August or will that actually make any difference. So hard to know. We'll forfeit it this time if we have to but again the type of holiday we do- we're cooking ourselves, on a campsite etc. The thoughts of it was keeping me going and now....who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

josip wrote: »
    Expecting to go July and August, not just hoping.

Expecting to get away June........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Still praying for September, but hope is dwindling with each utterance from our great leaders

Is the proposed 500 euro fine for going on holiday per person?
    Ouch
    Also at 80 euros+ twice for a pcr test going and coming home
    Thats 320 euros for two
    Ouch

So 1320 for two before you spend a penny on flights accommodation or out there ?
    Ouch

Gardaí stopping busses as well as cars leaving the airport
    Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Is the proposed 500 euro fine for going on holiday per person?Ouch Also at 80 euros+ twice for a pcr test going and coming homeThats 320 euros for twoOuchSo 1320 for two before you spend a penny on flights accommodation or out there ?Ouch
    Ouch

Perhaps you should reconsider any plans you may have to go on holidays this year then?
    Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Claire Byrne would have use locked on the island for the next 5 years with the zero Covid nonsense.

Fortunately we will end up following the lead of the UK and Europe and not the populists in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

MizMix wrote: »
    The reaction and 'public flogging' of people in Lanzarote is crazy. My dad usually heads by himself every xmas (he hates xmas, awful upbringing etc). He didn't go this year but he was tempted....he just hit retirement age and his business is pretty much gone now due to all this (no PUP due to his age and no chance now of selling on the business). He's depressed and badly wants to get away this year....in the past we were telling him he can't go but now I'm supporting his choice....if he gets away this summer he'll be going to an apartment by himself, hikes by himself etc. He has high blood pressure too and every-time he gets away it comes down. The dialogue by the gov and RTE that no end in sight if just crazy and so hard on people especially when they really have no basis for saying 2021 is a write off.

On a side note we rebooked a cancelled holiday for end June. We're thinking of postponing till August or will that actually make any difference. So hard to know. We'll forfeit it this time if we have to but again the type of holiday we do- we're cooking ourselves, on a campsite etc. The thoughts of it was keeping me going and now....who knows

He should go now- my parents spent 2 months in Tenerife and it was a god send for them. My flight to Gran Canaria 2 weeks ago had 60% over 65’s not willing to hide away any longer.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I've a flight at 7am in Friday to Paris then Colombia, I originally planned to arrive at about 5am. But now I'm going to arrive at 4/4:15am in hope that there isn't any checkpoints so early.

Make sure you dress all in black, with nighscopes and the music from the movie "Mission Impossible" playing on your earphones when you make your approach to the Airport, watch out for Garda snipers and trip wires! ....:pac:....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Is the proposed 500 euro fine for going on holiday per person?
    Ouch
    Also at 80 euros+ twice for a pcr test going and coming home
    Thats 320 euros for two
    Ouch

So 1320 for two before you spend a penny on flights accommodation or out there ?
    Ouch

Ouch

As I've pointed out previously, only the ultra-rich will be traveling out of the country this year

• Advertisement

Claire Byrne would have use locked on the island for the next 5 years with the zero Covid nonsense.
    Fortunately we will end up following the lead of the UK and Europe and not the populists in this country.

Wish we could lock CB into her fancy shed without electricity for the next 5 years..
    Unbelievable that she's been paid €250,000 a year... "We're all in the same boat".... No, no we're not...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

MizMix wrote: »

It's not even about covid anymore. It's about control and begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Wish we could lock CB into her fancy shed without electricity for the next 5 years..
    Unbelievable that she's been paid €250,000 a year... "We're all in the same boat".... No, no we're not...

Same as Tubs and Tony Holohan

timeToLive wrote: »
    Same as Tubs and Tony Holohan

And the members of the Dail, with their special advisors....

Most of them earn as much in an hour or two as someone on the PUP gets in a week...
    If we're truly all in this together then they should take a massive pay cut in the interests of national solidarity... instead they come up with more ways to restrict the public freedoms every few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Could someone not just get a bus to the airport to get around the whole checkpoint situation. The guards may be stopping cars but they are hardly stopping a bus and questioning everyone on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

how on earth can the guards stop people from flying?! this is insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

copeyhagen wrote: »
    how on earth can the guards stop people from flying?! this is insane?

They can't, but can issue someone with a nice €500 fine for travelling to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Exactly! The truth is the EU as a whole are somewhat restricting travel for the next few months. The current escalation of restrictions here in Ireland only really started after a meeting of the 26 nations leaders where they clearly decided to adopt this strategy. I am certain this was to allow as much space as possible to escalate the vaccine roll out whilst numbers are kept low and with the ultimate goal of enabling some form of European summer travel season.

If holidays are possible in the wider EU this summer, we will be allowed to travel assuming our numbers are also stable and within the EU traffic light system as orange or green. So much will depend on case numbers, most importantly - hospital admissions and vaccine deployments between now and June 1st. That’s a long time and I think to dismissively say that there will be no international travel from Ireland until 2022 is wildly pessimistic and unlikely in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Benimar wrote: »
    They can't, but can issue someone with a nice €500 fine for travelling to the airport.

Only in the absence of an essential reason to fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I am also not sure how they are positioned to tell the difference between someone heading off on a weekend city break and someone who is genuinely leaving Ireland to go and see out the lockdown elsewhere. A lot of people who can work from home are leaving are leaving for a good while I think, given the cheap accommodation in warmer climes. I'm going to Valencia in a few days and plan to be there for 3 months. if you show a Guard a one way ticket how are they to determine whether or not the travel is frivolous or permitted (a relocation / house move is allowed under the restrictions - like I can drive from Dublin to Cork with no penalty if I am moving or viewing a house).

The trip I was planning means 2 one way flights rather than a return ticket because it starts and finishes somewhere different so that’s not a bad idea to show the guards a one way ticket

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement