Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yep unfortunately. But if you even mention travel to most people you're called an ignorant selfish pr*ck, despite the fact that you will be getting a test on the way out and the way back, yet they're the ones in supermarkets shoulder to shoulder with untested people :rolleyes: the hypocrisy is hilarious

Meanwhile, a year into the pandemic , we don't even have to wear masks in the streets in Ireland, and me going to Dubai until this lockdown is over, where masks are mandatory everywhere, is putting myself at risk LOL

Genuine question for you. Not trying to drag thread off-topic but you don't seem to like being in Ireland at all and seem to be well set up for working on the move. Would you not rent out your house here and travel even more (assuming no corona). I just think it's a bit mad for someone to be paying for that mortgage and then going off and paying rent! It's no bother airbnb'ing the odd week you would come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Genuine question for you. Not trying to drag thread off-topic but you don't seem to like being in Ireland at all and seem to be well set up for working on the move. Would you not rent out your house here and travel even more (assuming no corona). I just think it's a bit mad for someone to be paying for that mortgage and then going off and paying rent! It's no bother airbnb'ing the odd week you would come back.

think you might have gotten me confused with someone else, I don't own my own house at the moment! unfortunately :D yeah, would consider renting abroad longer term, just not sure where exactly. kind of trying different places over the next couple of years!

Gael23 wrote: »
    Because there’s no restrictions travelling within the country so by driving to the airport you haven’t done anything wrong

Again, as I have said before, that has nothing to do with 5km. Under level 5 no non essential travel is permitted. You cant go 100 metres if its considered non essential. 5km is ONLY regarding exercise. Thats it, nothing else. They wont enforce anything in level 3 thats not covered by level 3 restrictions.
    dan786 wrote: »
    What if you have dual citizenship? Can they fine you if you are just going back home, its technically not a holiday?
    faceman wrote: »
    Dual citizenship doesn’t matter from their perspective. It’s the purpose of your trip that does.

Your citizenship doesn't enter into it. If you are travelling HOME then thats fine. Plenty if Irish living in Spain that are free to get on a plane to Spain. However a Spaniard living in Ireland going to Spain for a holiday is not ok and is subject to a fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

The timing of the German thing is suspect. I'm not a lawyer so open to correction but here's my interpretation of what's happened.
    1. EU brings in rules to check / prevent export of vaccine to UK.
    2. UK / Ireland protest the triggering of article 16 with regard the suspension of open trade between N.I and eire as it may constitute a back door (not in the china swab sense)
    3. M.m an Boris both make protestations to Ursula using the word 'explosive'
    4. EU pulls back from brink.
    5. Next day flights from Ireland banned to Germany.

Call me paranoid by all means, is Germany doing this to any other EU countries?

Wouldn't be the first time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/eu-backs-down-on-plan-to-control-export-of-covid-19-vaccines-across-border-into-north-amid-outcry-1.4471366

Finland, Belgium and Norway all banned non-essential travel earlier this week. Ironically, Sweden is banning travel from Norway, Denmark and the UK due to variants, but hasn't banned travel from Ireland yet. Germany and Belgium were trying to get all of the EU to implement unified travel controls two weeks ago, around the same time that Ireland started seriously considering travel restrictions. The Netherlands is cutting down on travel by requiring negative tests taken within 4 hours of travel, rather than by restricting it by category.
    It is less of a conspiracy and more of a trend gaining momentum and individual countries being afraid to be the last one to act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Finland, Belgium and Norway all banned non-essential travel earlier this week. Ironically, Sweden is banning travel from Norway, Denmark and the UK due to variants, but hasn't banned travel from Ireland yet. Germany and Belgium were trying to get all of the EU to implement unified travel controls two weeks ago, around the same time that Ireland started seriously considering travel restrictions. The Netherlands is cutting down on travel by requiring negative tests taken within 4 hours of travel, rather than by restricting it by category.
    It is less of a conspiracy and more of a trend gaining momentum and individual countries being afraid to be the last one to act.

Yeah looks like it was in the works anyway. Things changing very fast. Hard to keep up with who's blocking who. It's turning into twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mep

Ireland is the only European country, until now, which will by law prevent people residing in Ireland/Irish people from travelling abroad. Except for essential reasons. For all other European countries travelling abroad is not forbidden, there is only an advisory.

Mep wrote: »
    Ireland is the only European country, until now, which will by law prevent people residing in Ireland/Irish people from travelling abroad. Except for essential reasons. For all other European countries travelling abroad is not forbidden, there is only an advisory.

Ireland does not have any laws preventing travel abroad.
    The restrictions state that you must stay at home except for some essential journeys, which are listed, and there is loads. Holidays are not essential.

It's amazing how often I post this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Belgium and Portugal also have a ban on international travel at present.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

bubblypop wrote: »
    The restrictions state that you must stay at home except for some essential journeys, which are listed, and there is loads. Holidays are not essential.

I tried to take a holiday from posting in this thread but the Gardaí stopped me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Do you want us to become a draconian state?
    There is strong travel and health advuce there. Citizens shouldn't need more

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Belgium and Portugal also have a ban on international travel at present.

I am talking about travelling in general for people residing in a country, as "I am living in Belgium can I take a flight to go abroad?" in Belgium is "strongly discouraged" - not banned big difference.
    https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/faq/

For Portugal you're right.

Do you want us to become a draconian state?
    There is strong travel and health advuce there. Citizens shouldn't need more

Not at all, otherwise I wouldn't be reading a thread with the title "Will you travel?" :)

JojoLoca wrote: »
    Is anyone able to answer my question for me?

Not tying to get into a debate about travel during restrictions, etc, just want to see if refunds should become mandatory now, as it is no longer just advice, not to travel from the gov?

With the current travel restrictions, the GOV is saying we will get a €1000 fine for a couple flying abroad on a holiday.

We booked a trip to New York in October 2019, for travel in March 2020. Postponed few times, now due to travel 01 March 2021.

As the gov is now saying we cant go, should refunds be mandatory now for "cancelled" holidays?

Booked with Aer Lingus, no refund option as of today, flights are scheduled to leave.

Thanks

With the USA closed to anyone who has been in Ireland 2 weeks prior to arrival, I don't see how your flight can't be changed
    Ring them

I am talking about travelling in general for people residing in a country, as "I am living in Belgium can I take a flight to go abroad?" in Belgium is "strongly discouraged" - not banned big difference.
    https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/faq/

For Portugal you're right.

Airlines are policing travel reasons in Belgium. Maybe its loopholed to bejaysus though

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-pl/travel-safely/travel-regulations.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

A pcr test both ways makes it very costly why those tests are forced on the public I have already had 1 false positive comfirmed 2 weeks later by an antigen and much preferred as it was that test proved the other was wrong.
    This is been used to diswade but its still a draconial charge on some essential travel
    And if you are traveling mon or tues 72hr can be unreliable still awaiting a result to travel mon

think you might have gotten me confused with someone else, I don't own my own house at the moment! unfortunately :D yeah, would consider renting abroad longer term, just not sure where exactly. kind of trying different places over the next couple of years!

No I actually assumed that it might be the case that the reason that you appear to like travelling so much might not really be the places that you are going to, but your living situation at home.

What I mean is that if you were living at home with your bf, and you had bought a house together here that you probably wouldn't be as mad for getting out of the country all the time. Whereas now, a trip to remote work from Spain for 4 weeks might be an extended dirty weekend away for ye!

I met people while living abroad who mixed up certain freedoms as being dependent on being abroad, when really it was just that when they lived at home, they had constrained themselves due to their home comforts.

I am sure that you probably like some of the inherent benefits of travel too. The relevance to the thread is that you might be able to get some of what you feel as a benefit of travel personally (and are hence missing out a bit this year if you follow restrictions) by making modifications here.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

No I actually assumed that it might be the case that the reason that you appear to like travelling so much might not really be the places that you are going to, but your living situation at home.

What I mean is that if you were living at home with your bf, and you had bought a house together here that you probably wouldn't be as mad for getting out of the country all the time. Whereas now, a trip to remote work from Spain for 4 weeks might be an extended dirty weekend away for ye!

I met people while living abroad who mixed up certain freedoms as being dependent on being abroad, when really it was just that when they lived at home, they had constrained themselves due to their home comforts.

I am sure that you probably like some of the inherent benefits of travel too. The relevance to the thread is that you might be able to get some of what you feel as a benefit of travel personally (and are hence missing out a bit this year if you follow restrictions) by making modifications here.

take it to PMs please, or twitter if youve been unbanned :P

timeToLive wrote: »
    take it to PMs please, or twitter if youve been unbanned :P

Well it's as relevant to the thread as any post from someone coming on saying why they personally feel the need that they have to go away somewhere else. Especially given that some posters seem to be trying to encourage others to also break restrictions. People shouldn't be doing that. Planning your travel is fine. I'm fine with people taking that chance. Still going if there are restrictions in place at the time is not.

I was just suggesting to that specific poster above that they may be able to obtain some of the benefits that they think they get from travel, by not traveling but by just making changes at home.

We've all known people who mixed up the benefits of traveling to a place with the benefit of actually changing their home situation. Someone goes to Sydney and loves it there and doesn't realise that part of the reason that they like the location so much is that they are finally independent from their parents and are actually having to try new things because the same boring local home pub that they lazily did every weekend back home is no longer available to them. They would have received the same benefits going anywhere else .... or even changing their own situation at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Holidaying is not possible at the moment anyway due to PCR testing and isolation requirements so the whole uproar about this was completely over the top.

To actually be able to travel at the moment youd need to take 6weeks or more off, nobody without essential reasons for travel will be taking that sort of time out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Holidaying is not possible at the moment anyway due to PCR testing and isolation requirements so the whole uproar about this was completely over the top.
    To actually be able to travel at the moment youd need to take 6weeks or more off, nobody without essential reasons for travel will be taking that sort of time out of work.

Of course it it, with all the new and varying requirements for travel, PCR tests/health declarations, border closures...in 2021 so far a holiday isn't a holiday it's an ordeal and one which most people will avoid unless absolutely unavoidable for essential reasons..

The waste of resources having squads of Gardai stationed at Airports and ports placates the Lockdowners who want the NZ method.
    And it does more harm than good..
    Still is a nice distraction away from the EU's hamfisted mismanagement of the vaccine rollout and lack of coordination and authority on restrictions across the block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not so. In the UK it is currently illegal to travel abroad "for holidays and other leisure purposes". In Ireland the government is advising people to avoid all unnecessary travel. Restrictions on the 5 km rule are being used in an effort to enforce that
    Under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, you must stay at home. You must not travel, including abroad, unless you have a legally permitted reason to do so. It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Of course it it, with all the new and varying requirements for travel, PCR tests/health declarations, border closures...in 2021 so far a holiday isn't a holiday it's an ordeal and one which most people will avoid unless absolutely unavoidable for essential reasons..

The waste of resources having squads of Gardai stationed at Airports and ports placates the Lockdowners who want the NZ method.
    And it does more harm than good..
    Still is a nice distraction away from the EU's hamfisted mismanagement of the vaccine rollout and lack of coordination and authority on restrictions across the block.

Tenzor, you don't have to go far in these threads to find attitudes of "well if they are letting X or Y travel then I'm not going to miss out ....." and that would inevitably lead to ".... shure they are letting everyone off on their holliers to Lanzarote so I'm not going to miss my cans with the lads".

The rules have to be enforced. It is very important that they enforce them.

Mr.S wrote: »
    If your vaccinated you should be able to skip quarantining measures too, no?

I don't see that as following unless they can prove that, once vaccinated, you can't carry it and pass it on. I think they already think that that is not the case - i.e. they think that you can still pick it up and spread it to others even after being vaccinated. You just won't have severe side effects yourself

If you are vaccinated it protects you from severe symptoms.

Quarantine is to protect others from you.

I'd proceed under the assumption that quarantine or not will not depend on your vaccination status, but on the vaccination status of the general public.

My understanding of the €500 fines that are coming into play on Monday are only during Level 5.
    Of course it can all change over night, so let's see.

According to MMartin there's going to be no significant reopening after 5th of March, so I take that to mean maybe schools and construction opening only... once they bring in the legislation for the €500 travel fines it will be very slow to unwind them, all last year Holohan was vigorously against any travel abroad so I reckon we're going to be confined to the Island until late summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

bubblypop wrote: »

Yes, but what about my Mental Health ????
    Its really doing my head in not being able to take my usual breaks to the sun and the few weekend city breaks sprinkled through the year. Some holidays are essential for me anyway, so I have to go.

Yes, but what about my Mental Health ????
    Its really doing my head in not being able to take my usual breaks to the sun and the few weekend city breaks sprinkled through the year. Some holidays are essential for me anyway, so I have to go.

Maybe start a hobby

.. shure they are letting everyone off on their holliers to Lanzarote so I'm not going to miss my cans with the lads".The rules have to be enforced. It is very important that they enforce them.

Some of those from what I read about troublemakers in Lanzarote would be the types for whom the laws/rules generally don't have much meaning for and will do what they like anyways...

The issue is that it's all well and good to hand out €500 fines, but without a full and complete travel ban it's highly unfair to those who've probably thought we've been through the worst of it by now and had paid a lot of money last year for a holiday this year.

Maybe start a hobby

Don't be so quick to take snipes at people Trump, for some Travel is a hobby...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    According to MMartin there's going to be no significant reopening after 5th of March, so I take that to mean maybe schools and construction opening only... once they bring in the legislation for the €500 travel fines it will be very slow to unwind them, all last year Holohan was vigorously against any travel abroad so I reckon we're going to be confined to the Island until late summer...

Anyone have a link to the offence that incurs a €500 FPN ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

My understanding of the additional fines being introduced is that it's linked to people breaking current domestic restrictions traveling to the airport - not for the actual flying away part (which I don't think you could ever stop?).

If we exit level 5 in March, you would assume the 5KM limit rule also will be eased, and non-essential domestic travel is allowed - let's say county only at first as per current Level 4 restrictions - so that €500 fine would not apply anymore, for people living in Dublin at lease + later when domestic travel will be possible.

Could be wrong, of course so happy to be corrected.

You’re wrong. It’s been posted many times already in this thread, but people are misunderstanding the rules. The “5km allowance” is for exercise ONLY. You’re not allowed leave your house for any other non-essential reason. Obviously food shopping would be counted as essential. Holidaying would not.
    An extension of the 5km allowance would, again, only apply to exercise. Trips to the airport will more than likely still be prohibited.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement