Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

You’re wrong. It’s been posted many times already in this thread, but people are misunderstanding the rules. The “5km allowance” is for exercise ONLY. You’re not allowed leave your house for any other non-essential reason. Obviously food shopping would be counted as essential. Holidaying would not.
    An extension of the 5km allowance would, again, only apply to exercise. Trips to the airport will more than likely still be prohibited.

“But the airport just happens to be on my walking route, officer”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

faceman wrote: »
    Portugal is banned too

By Germany maybe, but flights from Lisbon and Faro arrive in Dublin today. Yee haa.

EDIT, Lisbon cancelled, but Faro on schedule.

Apart from mandatory quarantine, the fact that flights are cancelled within a half an hour or so would put me off going anywhere now. Not worth it.

By Germany maybe, but flights from Lisbon and Faro arrive in Dublin today. Yee haa.

Apart from mandatory quarantine, the fact that flights are cancelled within a half an hour or so would put me off going anywhere now. Not worth it.

Probably jam packed with Brazilians.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Any idea why it was cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Don't be so quick to take snipes at people Trump, for some Travel is a hobby...

Well they can postpone their hobby then for the greater good. Same as most other people with "hobbies" be that football or hurling or soccer or the local chess club or drama society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I really think the panic and urgency from the EU in recent days is that they believed they could get economies moving again for Spring/Summer

The thought of a missed summer on the continent has freaked most governments and obviously the commission aswell.

I firmly believe they will ramp up resources in the next few weeks to ensure Europe can open for Summer.

With tensions mounting things will move fast.

Europe will open for Summer 2021, i'd be almost certain of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Well they can postpone their hobby then for the greater good. Same as most other people with "hobbies" be that football or hurling or soccer or the local chess club or drama society.

Have you heard the other one?

Travel is part of our DNA :pac: In reality massive unemployment is part of our DNA and emigration has always been a safety valve that keeps the status quo in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No one is travelling, the Air/sea ports are under siege, some people's hobbies are going out of for a drive in the car....stay home, stop burning fossil fuels..less risk of you crashing your car or hitting anyone causing injury... literally 100's of things we can do for the "greater good..." See where i'm going with this one Trump?

No one is travelling, the Air/sea ports are under siege, some people's hobbies are going out of for a drive in the car....stay home, stop burning fossil fuels..less risk of you crashing your car or hitting anyone causing injury... literally 100's of things we can do for the "greater good..." See where i'm going with this one Trump?

Off on some irrelevant tangent?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Well they can postpone their hobby then for the greater good.

And 'postpone' their mental health too ? Get a grip.

• Advertisement

And 'postpone' their mental health too ? Get a grip.

Maybe the extremely precious among us can't cope but most people should be able to find something else to apply their time to.

They are just lucky that, given their genetic predisposition for weekends away, that they weren't born more than 50 years ago.

Get a grip is right. First world problems :rolleyes: There are people with genuine mental health issues and people who feel a bit sad they can't go off on a 19.99 flight to Amsterdam for the weekend shouldn't be jumping on their backs IMO

Off on some irrelevant tangent?

You should know Trump...

Anyways, what more dya want, build a wall?

So cut the waffle Don, no ones travelling...

You should know Trump...

Anyways, what more dya want, build a wall?

So cut the waffle Don, no ones travelling...

Someone's waffling alright........Of course they are all essential workers fixing our power plants and freight truck drivers.
    Of the more than 2,000 people who landed at the airport between Tuesday and Wednesday, about one third were returning from holidays.

Flights are still operating from destinations such as Lanzarote and Malaga, some of the favourite hotspots for Irish sunseekers.

541650.png

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/4500-passengers-arrive-at-dublin-airport-in-three-day-period-as-flights-to-holiday-hotspots-remain-in-operation-40025153.html

Someone's waffling alright........Of course they are all essential workers fixing our power plants and freight truck drivers.

Measures are being taken by the Irish Government and the EU, travel is down to a trickle, inbound passengers all have negative PCR's.. Outbound travel is at a mere trickle... We'll see the numbers decline further into February and March.

What more do you want?

What I want is irrelevant but seen as though you asked I'd like you to stop waffling.
    You accused someone of waffling and said no-one is travelling.
    • 2000 people from holiday hotspots ibetween Tuesday and Wednesday
    • 4,500 passengers arrive at Dublin Airport in three-day period

Not really no-one now is it when you are not supposed to go 5km......

And the law will deal with them appropriately...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm supposed to be heading away in mid April, no doubt I'll probably have to change the dates again. Not looking positive right now. Would love to know when the ban on non-essential travel will be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

You’re wrong. It’s been posted many times already in this thread, but people are misunderstanding the rules. The “5km allowance” is for exercise ONLY. You’re not allowed leave your house for any other non-essential reason. Obviously food shopping would be counted as essential. Holidaying would not.
    An extension of the 5km allowance would, again, only apply to exercise. Trips to the airport will more than likely still be prohibited.

That's not quite right. The 5km allowance is for exercise only under lv. 5.

Under Lv. 4, non-essential travel is allowed within your county, it's not just for exercise. The type of non-essential activity you can partake in within your county is still heavily restricted however.

So if in Dublin, you can go to Dublin airport if you wish. I suppose departing the country qualifies as non essential travel outside of your county though.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dc29a-level-4/#domestic-travel-restrictions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gozunda wrote: »
    Any idea why it was cancelled?

Portugal is in strict lockdown, although that should be the reason for last minute cancellation

Seriously?

How many ****ing times will it need to be said before it sinks in? That's for exercise only. Nothing else.

Any chance we could get the op to include current regulations and rules by a mod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes, but what about my Mental Health ????
    Its really doing my head in not being able to take my usual breaks to the sun and the few weekend city breaks sprinkled through the year. Some holidays are essential for me anyway, so I have to go.

It says a lot about the current online discourse regarding Covid that I'm not sure if this is a p1sstake or not.

Seriously?

How many ****ing times will it need to be said before it sinks in? That's for exercise only. Nothing else.

Any chance we could get the op to include current regulations and rules by a mod?

Wow, calm down man. So you can go to the airport for non essential travel? Is running a gauntlet classed as exercise from Monday?

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1355905069712109575?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

faceman wrote: »
    Portugal is in strict lockdown, although that should be the reason for last minute cancellation

Faro has arrived, and Lisbon flight is back on again. No idea what the F is going on here.

Hello virus from hotspots. Welcome in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Seriously?

No offence, but you are only winding yourself up at this stage. Why do you feel the need to endlessly repeat this? People aren't using the correct terminology, but they know there is a ban on non-essential travel

You are taking this the wrong way and winding yourself up. Just because people mention 'the 5km' - it does not mean they don't know there is a ban on non-essential travel at the same time.

This has now been repeated dozens upon dozens of times. People might not be using the correct terminology that is to your liking. But come on, there is no need to keep doing this. Take a breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

our car needs a part...but has to be fitted by the dealer...we are in sligo and they are in galway.....my wife is a hospital worker and uses the car.
    would me going there to get the job done in them circumstances be deemed essential ?

dougm1970 wrote: »
    our car needs a part...but has to be fitted by the dealer...we are in sligo and they are in galway.....my wife is a hospital worker and uses the car.
    would me going there to get the job done in them circumstances be deemed essential ?

I'd say you are 100% covered. It's an absolute necessity by the sound of things. Good luck.

caveat: just my opinion. not legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

541650.png

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/4500-passengers-arrive-at-dublin-airport-in-three-day-period-as-flights-to-holiday-hotspots-remain-in-operation-40025153.html

Is that supposed to prove your point or the other posters?

650 people approximately, returning from holidays.

Less than 0.01% of the population, returning from a holiday at Christmas.

Dublin Airport usual average daily footfall = 112,000 people.

I would say description of "no one is traveling" is justified and backed up by your stats.

Is that supposed to prove your point or the other posters?

650 people approximately, returning from holidays.

Less than 0.01% of the population, returning from a holiday at Christmas.

Dublin Airport usual average daily footfall = 112,000 people.

I would say description of "no one is traveling" is justified and backed up by your stats.

Sorry I thought no one. = zero. 650 coming from a country with known onward connection from a variant hotspot in a two day period is not no one.

Germany bans flights from Portugal. We say it's no one. It's still a pandemic and more transmissible variants cause more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Guess this is the end of Spanish holidays for a while.
    IN ACCORDANCE WITH MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS ORDER INT/657/2020, THIRD COUNTRY NATIONALS SHALL BE DENIED ENTRY INTO SPAIN FOR REASONS OF PUBLIC ORDER AND PUBLIC HEALTH, UNLESS BELONG TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:
    A)

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Guess this is the end of Spanish holidays for a while.

I think you’ll find that was last year and in place for a month

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement