Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@woody22, nope, effective 31st Jan 21 until 28th Feb 21.
    updated NOTAM as issued by the competent authority in Spain advising that effective 31st January until 28th February 2021, third country nationals shall be denied entry into Spain for reasons of public order and public health, unless belong to one of the following categories:

smurfjed wrote: »
    @woody22, nope, effective 31st Jan 21 until 28th Feb 21.

Fair enough. They are in a state so is understandable. They did this a few times last year for a month at a time, so wouldn’t imagine it lasting longer than that

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Varadkar was asked that question on "The Tonight show" during the week, he didn't give a full answer, he kicked that question down the line a bit.. basically all that can happen to you now is that the Garda can fine you €100... and when the new legislation comes in then €500 if they consider your travel non-essential..
    But for now you can't be legally prevented from leaving the country.

Thanks, I guess that's what Aer Lingus is going to say if I ask them about cancelling my booking and getting a refund.

Except the government has carefully not said that. The fine is not for getting on a plane, its for travelling to the airport. The argument being "YOU dont actually NEED to go to the airport" which I guess is technically true when its an optional holiday. Sneaky and unfair imho however theres a couner argument that if the plane trip is allowed, then getting to the plane is also allowed.

Thanks, we actually do not want to travel to NY this March and would like to cancel this trip, but since the original flights were booked prior to March 20, Aer Lingus does not offer us any cancellation options.
    And as the gov is getting more strict on non-essential travel, we thought it should enforce airlines to offer cancellation/refund option now. But as you said, the gov was very careful with their wording not to say that you can't get on the plane/leave the country. I guess we will have to move this flight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Third country would be non EU surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mikekerry

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

faceman wrote: »
    Portugal is in strict lockdown, although that should be the reason for last minute cancellation

Apparently not.
    Faro has arrived, and Lisbon flight is back on again. No idea what the F is going on here.

Hello virus from hotspots. Welcome in.

Htf are their flights from one country in strict lockdown to another country in 'strict lockdown?'

I wonder did the poster on here get his flight go Portugal afer all

The mind boggles...

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Third country would be non EU surely.

That is correct. With all these European border controls, “third country” means non EU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

hi all, flying tomorrow at 6am dublin to dubai via paris.

Bit of a nightmare the last few days trying to get through to the airline, especially with the new France non EU travel ban in and out.

My airline has confirmed this is not applicable to transiting passengers, so that's good.

Waiting on covid test results, done yesterday in boots, should have them by 2pm.

Headache after headache travelling throughout a pandemic but I suppose it's supposed to be that way to deter people from it :V

Hopefully will all go smoothly and I'll be in Dubai for a few months!

Good luck with it all and enjoy your time in Dubai. Dublin is forecast rain every day for the next 10 days!

• Advertisement

Bit of a nightmare the last few days trying to get through to the airline, especially with the new France non EU travel ban in and out.

My airline has confirmed this is not applicable to transiting passengers, so that's good.

Waiting on covid test results, done yesterday in boots, should have them by 2pm.

Headache after headache travelling throughout a pandemic but I suppose it's supposed to be that way to deter people from it :V

Just wondering Why Dubai? Is it somewhere you go regularly?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just wondering Why Dubai? Is it somewhere you go regularly?

Never been, have loads of friends over there that organise events and friday brunch events etc.. Going over for a few months to work remotely and seen as it's more or less fully open too, rather than being stuck here!

Update: Just got test result via text and email from Boots. Negative! Wahay. Got test done yesterday at 12:25 and results 20 mins ago, so less than 24 hours! Good service.

Dubai seems to be in deep dodo atm with covid.

Stay safe.

gozunda wrote: »
    Dubai seems to be in deep dodo atm with covid.

Stay safe.

Thank you. I will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

For anyone wondering who hasnt rang AerLingus, dont bother. They are extremely unhelpful, if the flight is taking off there is no chance of a refund. Its illegal to travel out of your 5k and even at that its only for exercise or essential purposes, but its no argument. What i am doing with my flights is changing them week to week in the hope that they will get cancelled at some point and then id be entitled to a refund. I would have even accepted a voucher but they wont even offer that.

Never been, have loads of friends over there that organise events and friday brunch events etc.. Going over for a few months to work remotely and seen as it's more or less fully open too, rather than being stuck here!

Update: Just got test result via text and email from Boots. Negative! Wahay. Got test done yesterday at 12:25 and results 20 mins ago, so less than 24 hours! Good service.

enjoy Dubai! Seems like you put a lot of work into getting away and hopefully it pays off.....a few months away from here sounds idyllic!
    You're last hurdle will probably be actually getting to Dublin airport and through the checkpoints up there..... I believe there are a lot of Gardai about. If you get a chance please let us know how that goes....thanks and enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I stopped reading after the organising Friday brunch events part. Best of luck with your trip, Dubai seems to be in an absolute covid mess currently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In case you missed it, Michael O'Leary on Newstalk this morning. Look past his obvious bias and he makes very valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

faceman wrote: »
    In case you missed it, Michael O'Leary on Newstalk this morning. Look past his obvious bias and he makes very valid points.

He absolutely bang on point!

enjoy Dubai! Seems like you put a lot of work into getting away and hopefully it pays off.....a few months away from here sounds idyllic!
    You're last hurdle will probably be actually getting to Dublin airport and through the checkpoints up there..... I believe there are a lot of Gardai about. If you get a chance please let us know how that goes....thanks and enjoy :)

thanks I will be sure to update here:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

thanks I will be sure to update here:)

I would assume that some of your contacts in Dubai have been able to email you a job offer?

josip wrote: »
    I would assume that some of your contacts in Dubai have been able to email you a job offer?

I'm self employed so work remotely all the time, online business.

Might I be so bold as to ask what's your strategy if stopped at the airport checkpoint?

Might I be so bold as to ask what's your strategy if stopped at the airport checkpoint?

If asked I can show them my one way flight ticket

Although we will be at the airport for 4am, I don't think there's anyone /Gardai etc around at that time from what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

Well if I was stopped (on my way to Lanzarote or wherever), I'd tell them I was collecting a family member that has zero intent on using public transport... and it's ESSENTIAL that I bring them home!

How are the guards going to PROVE why I'm there. 500 euro fine? Piss off...

This is beyond a joke now. I'm back at work after a positive Covid diagnosis. And I'm like the 99.91% of under 65's in this county (183 deaths from 188,923 cases last time I counted)... I'm perfectly fine!

mel123 wrote: »
    For anyone wondering who hasnt rang AerLingus, dont bother. They are extremely unhelpful, if the flight is taking off there is no chance of a refund. Its illegal to travel out of your 5k and even at that its only for exercise or essential purposes, but its no argument. What i am doing with my flights is changing them week to week in the hope that they will get cancelled at some point and then id be entitled to a refund. I would have even accepted a voucher but they wont even offer that.

And there goes my little hope for a refund. We have a flights to New York booked with them since Oct 19, and no chance in hell it will be cancelled. Called Aer Lingus number of times last year, trying to reason with them, they were useless, wouldn't accommodate anyone who booked prior to March 20. Even Ryanair was offering more flexibility. So we just continue to push those flights forward.

Hooked wrote: »
    Well if I was stopped (on my way to Lanzarote or wherever), I'd tell them I was collecting a family member that has zero intent on using public transport... and it's ESSENTIAL that I bring them home!

Would they ask you a few questions about the incoming flight or to have a look in the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Just ring a dentist in the country you are planning to go to and just get them to email you a confirmation of appointment. Sorted. What measures are place to stop people doing this?

Go get a scale and polish done while you are at it.

I am travelling in March and will be getting 3 pcr tests in space of 4 days and will also be vaccinated so I dont think it can be safer than that. I see more people in super markets nowadays then an airport lounge.

Hooked wrote: »

This is beyond a joke now. I'm back at work after a positive Covid diagnosis. And I'm like the 99.91% of under 65's in this county (183 deaths from 188,923 cases last time I counted)... I'm perfectly fine!

Glad you're fine. But no its no joke for the approx 3000 people who have already died.

And the point is that whilst not a huge number have died overall in other age categories - a lot of people of all ages have got sick and ended up in hospital. And at the moment the most important thing is to reduce the infection rate and stop our hospitals being overrun.

That's it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I really hope I wont have to face this in April. Otherwise I'm just going to make up an excuse, the thought of having to cancel again is too depressing. Even when the cases get very low in April, I bet they will still have these checkpoints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement