Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

And at the moment the most important thing is to reduce the infection rate and stop our hospitals being overrun.
    At any time during the last year, did the hospitals get overrun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

smurfjed wrote: »
    At any time during the last year, did the hospitals get overrun ?

Eh, yes - for the last month or so all or nearly all of them are using up all of their surge capacity, a lot of elective stuff has been cancelled, patients are being transferred around to other locations in ambulances fitted out as mobile ICUs due to pressure on beds, private hospitals are being used as overflows, staff must be half dead on their feet (the ones that aren't out of service due to Covid, that is).

Just because patients aren't dying in the carpark doesn't mean that hospitals aren't under huge pressure.

I'm getting heartily sick of this "oh but the hospitals are grand, what pressure?" line that's getting thrown around lately.

And, no, I've no skin in the medical/hospital game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Eh, yes - for the last month or so all or nearly all of them are using up all of their surge capacity, a lot of elective stuff has been cancelled, patients are being transferred around to other locations in ambulances fitted out as mobile ICUs due to pressure on beds, private hospitals are being used as overflows, staff must be half dead on their feet (the ones that aren't out of service due to Covid, that is).

Just because patients aren't dying in the carpark doesn't mean that hospitals aren't under huge pressure.

I'm getting heartily sick of this "oh but the hospitals are grand, what pressure?" line that's getting thrown around lately.

And, no, I've no skin in the medical/hospital game.

The question related to last year. You know ..... when we were enjoying the nurses dancing talent on tik tok videos. Yeah . Real busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Announcement: I can officially confirm I will be representing Ireland this St Patrick's day and meeting with the President of the Canary Islands Ángel Víctor Torres this March. I am delighted to offer my services to our great nation by travelling to the Canary Islands so we can boost our relationship. I will be travelling business class as the economy class has been sold out unfortunately.

This is an essential journey for me as I have to represent and promote Ireland abroad in the local bars.

Michael Martin meanwhile will be meeting with Joe Biden in Washington after Simon Covney said he "should go"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dalyboy wrote: »
    The question related to last year. You know ..... when we were enjoying the nurses dancing talent on tik tok videos. Yeah . Real busy.

The question was "in the last year" and I provided up to date recent examples which you are welcome to refute if you wish.

I won't bother dignifying the second part of your post with a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

thanks I will be sure to update here:)

145399776_1321347944899814_2747575373057158394_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=QjNBhS5KmxIAX91kKRS&_nc_ht=scontent.ffjr1-2.fna&tp=7&oh=c83243d13a301273a542e36324010db3&oe=603CDBE6

Won't be too much of an issue for you as you appear to be going for just a bit of normality and not the irresponsibility of half of the people that came out looking for a party.

EDIT: pubs and bars have been shut too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

agh, at least for me, that means that there is absolutely no reason to go to Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

smurfjed wrote: »
    agh, at least for me, that means that there is absolutely no reason to go to Dubai.

Licensed restaurants are still open. Basically the "wet pub" thing.

Dunno why anyone would come out here just for the drinking. It costs an eye even during happy hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Mars Bar wrote: »
    145399776_1321347944899814_2747575373057158394_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=QjNBhS5KmxIAX91kKRS&_nc_ht=scontent.ffjr1-2.fna&tp=7&oh=c83243d13a301273a542e36324010db3&oe=603CDBE6

Won't be too much of an issue for you as you appear to be going for just a bit of normality and not the irresponsibility of half of the people that came out looking for a party.

Thanks for that, yeah I don’t mind too much as we will chill by the pool during the day usually after doing some work. Out for a meal then in the evening and a couple of drinks, cheers for posting that here as I’ve been trying to keep an eye on the Dubai news . It’s probably better the pubs are **** since I won’t have a hangover staying out too late.

Just a quick update in regards to me getting to Dublin airport. There was only one checkpoint the whole way from Kilkenny to Dublin, none leaving Waterford city. The Garda Waved the bus through. Around 10 people on it heading for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Thanks for that, yeah I don’t mind too much as we will chill by the pool during the day usually after doing some work. Out for a meal then in the evening and a couple of drinks, cheers for posting that here as I’ve been trying to keep an eye on the Dubai news

Just a quick update in regards to me getting to Dublin airport. There was only one checkpoint the whole way from Kilkenny to Dublin, none leaving Waterford city. The Garda Waved the bus through. Around 10 people on it heading for the airport

Have a great trip in Dubai, brilliant place, nice weather and not as expensive as you would hear also. You did the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

theguzman wrote: »
    Have a great trip in Dubai, brilliant place, nice weather and not as expensive as you would hear also. You did the right thing.

Did the right thing. Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Sam Hain wrote: »

That’s your own opinion :)

People can make their own informed decisions whether it’s better or safer to stay where they are or go abroad. In my opinion it’s safer elsewhere, in Ireland you don’t even have to wear masks on the street. And that is why I’ve been abroad for most of 2020......

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

He's getting testing before he is going. Covid free. Even IF he gets it on the flight or airport as long as he self isolates when he lands he no risk to anyone.

If it helps his mental health then I am all for people leaving as long as they take all the precautions they can. No issues.

If he announced he was about to go preaching the bible to the al-shabab in Somalia that is his choice, and it is none of my business or yours should he go or otherwise. Same if he decided to go to North Sentinel Island to interact the local tribesmen also again not my problem or worry, these are two dangerous parts of the world, Dubai is not dangerous. I defend the person's freedom of choice to make his own choices be it mistake or otherwise, it is not my place to choose what some-else does, it is called personal freedom, everybody makes their own road in life and the day we lose our most basic of freedoms is the day I want to get out of this country permanently or if I was to be trapped in such a regime of tyranny I would prefer to be dead.

174 new covid cases reported in the Canary Islands today. The lowest since the 3rd of Dec (Two months ago) - All islands showing a recent trend of lower numbers.

174 cases is pretty good for a population of 2.2 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

RobitTV wrote: »
    174 new covid cases reported in the Canary Islands today. The lowest since the 3rd of Dec (Two months ago) - All islands showing a recent trend of lower numbers.

174 cases is pretty good for a population of 2.2 million.

was there in early dec open till 1.00am left there today everything finish 6pm hope it opens again off to mexico next week essential travel of course

agoodpunt wrote: »
    was there in early dec open till 1.00am left there today everything finish 6pm hope it opens again off to mexico next week essential travel of course

I'm booked to head over in April to Lanzarote. If things continue to improve over there I might change my dates to March so I can head over earlier. This all depends though if they reduce the restrictions significantly in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Booked for 3 weeks in June/July.

Tony knows 5 months in advance that I won’t be able to travel.

ROUTINE dental appointments books now are not essential travel reasons.

People arrving to the airport with bull**** 'Im smarter than you' attitudes will get the backs up of the Gardai who to date, havent been pushing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

ROUTINE dental appointments books now are not essential travel reasons.

People arrving to the airport with bull**** 'Im smarter than you' attitudes will get the backs up of the Gardai who to date, havent been pushing too much.

I doubt Gardai are going to call a dentist/doctor in another country to check what the appointment is for.

Also getting the bus to airport seems to be working for most and also no early morning checkpoints.

• Advertisement

Wow, calm down man. So you can go to the airport for non essential travel? Is running a gauntlet classed as exercise from Monday?

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1355905069712109575?s=20

ah, I see we have continued to not understand the limits. Perhaps read the actual rules before commenting. Hows that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

If the Brits are up and running soon and ask their pubs are open, could you imagine the ferries advertising a "Booze Cruise" to hollyhead? It's the 80s again!

mel123 wrote: »
    Its illegal to travel out of your 5k and even at that its only for exercise or essential purposes

Jesus wept!

How many times now has this been explained only for people to come along and repeat the same nonsense?

dan786 wrote: »
    I doubt Gardai are going to call a dentist/doctor in another country to check what the appointment is for.

Also getting the bus to airport seems to be working for most and also no early morning checkpoints.

if only Gardai could find a way to see what flights are going out and then go inside the building:confused:

Can you, genuinely show me a country that is currently performing essential surgery on foreigners? Again as I said, Gardai are being as lax as they can regarding the fines but the attitude of 'they are thick, Im too smart for em' will only result in then getting strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

if only Gardai could find a way to see what flights are going out and then go inside the building:confused:

Can you, genuinely show me a country that is currently performing essential surgery on foreigners?

I dont understand what the first line means. But if you are implying that they can find out where the person is going on what plane, the whole logic here is getting the appointment in the country you are travelling too.

There are multiple countries preforming essential surgeries every day who have handled Covid better than Ireland, countries with 10x populations.

There are only limited checks Gardai can do and do this restriction people will be forced to make up excuses as they want to get out the country for a while. People who really want to go should be allowed to go in my opinion provided they are tested leaving the country and coming back to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Your bitterness and resentment has shone through for a while now.

Maybe you should think about a break somewhere. Catch some vitamin D.

dan786 wrote: »
    I dont understand what the first line means. But if you are implying that they can find out where the person is going on what plane, the whole logic here is getting the appointment in the country you are travelling too.

There are multiple countries preforming essential surgeries every day who have handled Covid better than Ireland, countries with 10x populations.

There are only limited checks Gardai can do and do this restriction people will be forced to make up excuses as they want to get out the country for a while. People who really want to go should be allowed to go in my opinion provided they are tested leaving the country and coming back to the country.

I'm not engaging in twisted logic. You said getting the bus bypasses the checkpoints. There's Gardai inside as well.

Now answer the question that was actually put to you. What countries are taking appointments for essential treatment on foreigners and why is it essential that you travel for this treatment when Ireland has doctors and dentists

I'm not engaging in twisted logic. You said getting the bus bypasses the checkpoints. There's Gardai inside as well.

Now answer the question that was actually put to you. What countries are taking appointments for essential treatment on foreigners and why is it essential that you travel for this treatment when Ireland has doctors and dentists

Bus loads of old age pensioners leave Kerry and Cork routinely to deliver patients to Belfast for cataract and other essential surgeries. This was done under the cross border directive under the EU and will continue despite the Brexit of 01/01/21. Dozens of countries will take medical tourists including the USA and Brazil.

Fact of the matter is we don't have a functional healthcare system fit for purpose in Ireland, it exists merely as a glorified social employment scheme for FFG political crony appointments and it is barely functional and kept going by absolutely heroic front line staff who are continuously undermined and outpaid by the mandarin administrators and quangos that exist within the HSE. The majority of the HSE staff are not frontline I may add as there is a huge difference between a highly trained ICU Nurse from Manila and Brenda who's father is friends with the local Fianna Fail TD and landed an office job doing nothing all day earning €900 per week.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/news/kt-exclusive-why-dubai-is-a-top-health-tourism-hub-despite-covid-challenges

https://www.jstor.org/stable/resrep25188?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Your bitterness and resentment has shone through for a while now.

Maybe you should think about a break somewhere. Catch some vitamin D.

Good one. If doing the right thing is being bitter, go ahead and think that. And that's rich as the poster I was replying to is the most bitter on here, you mad yoke you. Thanks for your concern but I can supplement vitamin d. I have lived abroad, and travelled extensively. I don't need a week in Lanzarote to save my poor soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Has anyone thought to themselves, maybe the people in the country I'm about to travel to, don't want me there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement