Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

reniwren wrote: »
    Has anyone thought to themselves, maybe the people in the country I'm about to travel to, don't want me there?

how about asking those who work in tourism sectors and retail

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

agoodpunt wrote: »
    how about asking those who work in tourism sectors and retail

You mean the many of which are getting more on the 350 payment than they were on minimum wage shift work?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Is flying home to see your family considered essential travel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

reniwren wrote: »
    You mean the many of which are getting more on the 350 payment than they were on minimum wage shift work?

The €350 a week only applies to Ireland and to qualify you had to have earned in excess of €400 a week.
    What's the payment in Spain, Italy, Portugal etc etc

sioda wrote: »
    This to me is essential travel as being separated from your OH for significant periods is damaging to your mental health.

That's not listed under the "essential travel" list though. Though I agree it should be included.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Journal printed a list of what are considered essential reasons for travel yesterday:

Among the reasonable excuses include:
    • to leave the country if not ordinary a resident
    • for work reasons
    • to provide the functions of an elected office holder
    • for educational reasons
    • to attend a medical or dental appointment
    • seek medical assistance for themselves or a vulnerable person
    • to attend to vital family matters (including providing care to vulnerable persons)
    • to attend a funeral
    • to fulfil a legal obligation (such as attend court)
    • child access arrangements

Speaking a regular user and as someone who is pro safe travel, Im not sure Im comfortable with the open sharing of ways to circumnavigate the law on the thread. It undermines the message that many here are speaking of and makes the thread look like a cesspool of skullduggery.

I was reading stats from Israel's vaccine campaign so far and it appears the vaccine is working. There have been people who caught covid post vaccination but those numbers are small and even less ended up in hospital.

With that in mind and the whole of EU (particularly sunny countries) pushing for a vaccine rollout so that they can resume travel safely, ireland will quickly turn in to an outlier if Tony's message for no holidays this year is continued. The anti travel movement in January will turn in to anti quarantine when hospital rates are down, the vaccine in working and other nations are holidaying in Spain and Greece in the summer.

Holohan really should have worded his statement better. He could say he doesn't anticipate holidays as a runner in the summer but its too early to tell or something to that effect.

Lets not forget, when the vaccines were first announced, nearly every nation in the EU sent a message of hope by way of its national government. Holohan on the other hand sent a message of caution.

For those interested in Spanish holidays, rates are coming down again generally speaking across Spain. If vaccines ramp up, I can see gradual opening of the tourism season by the summer. Easter is ruled out, public celebrations have already been cancelled right up to Easter. (Easter is massive here). Some have even called for public holidays to be made work days up till vaccines are rolled out and then add the holidays to the latter half of the year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Is flying home to see your family considered essential travel ?

Family visits are listed as essential if:

to attend to vital family matters (including providing care to vulnerable persons)

faceman wrote: »
    Holohan really should have worded his statement better. He could say he doesn't anticipate holidays as a runner in the summer but its too early to tell or something to that effect.

In a parallel universe last night, this is what Tony Holohan said:

As the vaccine is rolled out, and as vaccination production is ramped up throughout Europe, we do expect to see a decline in incidence and mortality - and with that, an easing of restrictions.

Of course, this depends on widespread vaccine rollout and whether no strains develop that are immune to the vaccine.

But at the point when hospitalizations and mortality decrease, we do expect to see a gradual re-opening of society in the coming months, which may even permit travel to the European continent at some point this summer.

We will still need to maintain a high level of compliance with public health measures - such as mask-wearing, social distancing, and so on - but as other countries throughout the world have shown, it is possible to maintain some degree of travel freedom in tandem with public health guidance.

I am cautiously optimistic, then, that things will gradually improve over the coming months.

Thanks for your question.

...but that hologram of Holohan does not exist in this universe, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The Journal printed a list of what are considered essential reasons for travel yesterday:

Among the reasonable excuses include:
    • to leave the country if not ordinary a resident
    • for work reasons
    • to provide the functions of an elected office holder
    • for educational reasons
    • to attend a medical or dental appointment
    • seek medical assistance for themselves or a vulnerable person
    • to attend to vital family matters (including providing care to vulnerable persons)
    • to attend a funeral
    • to fulfil a legal obligation (such as attend court)
    • child access arrangements

I was reading stats from Israel's vaccine campaign so far and it appears the vaccine is working. There have been people who caught covid post vaccination but those numbers are small and even less ended up in hospital.

With that in mind and the whole of EU (particularly sunny countries) pushing for a vaccine rollout so that they can resume travel safely, ireland will quickly turn in to an outlier if Tony's message for no holidays this year is continued. The anti travel movement in January will turn in to anti quarantine when hospital rates are down, the vaccine in working and other nations are holidaying in Spain and Greece in the summer.

Lets not forget, when the vaccines were first announced, nearly every nation in the EU sent a message of hope by way of its national government. Holohan on the other hand sent a message of caution.

For those interested in Spanish holidays, rates are coming down again generally speaking across Spain. If vaccines ramp up, I can see gradual opening of the tourism season by the summer. Easter is ruled out, public celebrations have already been cancelled right up to Easter. (Easter is massive here). Some have even called for public holidays to be made work days up till vaccines are rolled out and then add the holidays to the latter half of the year

Saw those figures myself. Death rates will be negligible once we approach 50% vaccinated (all the elderly). With infection rates naturally falling due to lockdown and more people outside during spring summer, so too will infections - can't see any excuse for no foreign travel. Holohan hasn't really explained his data. Sounds more like he's having a shneaky swing back at O'Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Best time to travel to the airport is when Gardai are filming their next tiktok clip.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1356554527806259200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

A reminder folks; this thread is not to solicit advice on how to circumvent the law / restrictions.

Posts warned and deleted accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hi all just updating here for those that were interested. In France at the moment waiting for my connecting flight to Dubai.

I got the bus from Waterford city to Dublin airport lastnight and the bus was not stopped at any checkpoints nor the airport one either. There was one Garda outside the airport , he was gone when I returned at 3am to go inside the airport

No questions asked as to why we were travelling at any stage of our journey, no guards or people asking questions before security or in the airport.

Pretty normal experience after all. If I had of been in a car maybe it would be different but I’m not sure.

And I’m a female btw not a he :D aha.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Family visits are listed as essential if:

to attend to vital family matters (including providing care to vulnerable persons)

Asking for the wife :

How about seeing your elderly parents ?, not a luxury she has as we can visit when all of this has quieten down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Hi all just updating here for those that were interested. In France at the moment waiting for my connecting flight to Dubai.

I got the bus from Waterford city to Dublin airport lastnight and the bus was not stopped at any checkpoints nor the airport one either. There was one Garda outside the airport , he was gone when I returned at 3am to go inside the airport

No questions asked as to why we were travelling at any stage of our journey, no guards or people asking questions before security or in the airport.

Pretty normal experience after all. If I had of been in a car maybe it would be different but I’m not sure.

And I’m a female btw not a he :D aha.

So glad to hear everything went well for you :D I hope you enjoy Dubai.

Was the Garda outside the terminal standing there for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭howa .223

howa .223 wrote: »
    I have a question, perhaps someone could answer.
    I travel frequently and have between Ireland and England through the lockdowns.
    Before any government made it mandatory i have taken a PCR test before traveling by Ferry each way.( with travel cert from RANDOX)
    My current shift pattern is 20 days on 10 off, now this 14 day isolation period will cause a lot of hassle.

So my question.

If i isolate for my ten days and leave Ireland with a negative result and fit to travel cert, would i be breaking the law?
    Example would be Germany where my colleges have no risk of breaking any rules if they LEAVE germany within the government's lockdown requirements.

I cannot find any information that clearly states leaving before the 14 days!

Thanks in advance for any information.

So an update as to my normal travelling arrangements, i had been stopped both is Holyhead and Dublin having been asked what my reason to travel etc.

Had zero issues i answered all questions and showed all documents, pcr result, letter from my employer and had my shift roster printed off this showed my years roster excluding potential holidays.
    I got a very good response from all sides.

Returning back to the UK was much the same, i was asked as i was awaiting the ferry in dublin some reasonable questions, showed the same documents. a rather painless exercise.

In the UK i drove off the boat and had no interactions with anyone.

I don't fully agree with the full system but will follow Guidelines.

Tony Holohan: “I don’t think we’re heading for a summer where people from this part of the world can head to the beaches, other than the beaches in their own localities.”

He said the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) are advising against non-essential travel “for the foreseeable future”.

Does this now mean the famous 'staycation' is now gone? :pac::pac: you can only head to your nearest local beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

RobitTV wrote: »
    Tony Holohan: “I don’t think we’re heading for a summer where people from this part of the world can head to the beaches, other than the beaches in their own localities.”

He said the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) are advising against non-essential travel “for the foreseeable future”.

Does this now mean the famous 'staycation' is now gone? :pac::pac: you can only head to your nearest local beach!

You can go on a staycation within 5KM from your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tony Holohan: “I don’t think we’re heading for a summer where people from this part of the world can head to the beaches, other than the beaches in their own localities.”He said the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) are advising against non-essential travel “for the foreseeable future”.Does this now mean the famous 'staycation' is now gone? :pac::pac: you can only head to your nearest local beach!

Holoham needs to change the same record he's been playing since last year:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0630/1150484-coronavirus-europe/

If there's no restrictions on leaving the country in July then i'm sure people will travel.

Staycations are a complete and utter waste of time unless all restrictions are set to Level 0 in Ireland, all bars, restaurants, hotels, entertainment venues all fully open.

Professor Anthony Staines, who is in favour of 'zero covid' is supporting the idea of Michael Martin travelling to Washington for St Patrick's day. While at the same time Mr. Staines is spamming his Twitter feed with 'zero covid' propaganda every 15-20 minutes per day.

Michael Martin won't be staying at home and he will be travelling on a non-essential journey. The irony is 'professor' Staines is rather content with that. Another reason not to take this guy seriously.

I bet Mr. Staines was out for blood when he saw the people returning home from Lanzarote at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Now answer the question that was actually put to you. What countries are taking appointments for essential treatment on foreigners and why is it essential that you travel for this treatment when Ireland has doctors and dentists

Friend got an appointment for a dentist in Dubai. The treatment here costs him 8000 Euros and the same in Dubai is 3000 Euros so I would consider a saving of 5k is somewhat essential to most unless the government here wants to pay.

There are also countries is Asia where he can get the same treatment done for under 1.5k and IS able to get an appointment straight away. People travel for dental work/hair transplants/other treatments throughout the year to other countries to save money as its a complete rip off here. Thats why it is "essential" so that they can save a fortune by travelling elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Professor Anthony Staines, who is in favour of 'zero covid' is supporting the idea of Michael Martin travelling to Washington for St Patrick's day. While at the same time Mr. Staines is spamming his Twitter feed with 'zero covid' propaganda every 15-20 minutes per day.

Michael Martin won't be staying at home and he will be travelling on a non-essential journey. The irony is 'professor' Staines is rather content with that. Another reason not to take this guy seriously.

I bet Mr. Staines was out for blood when he saw the people returning home from Lanzarote at Dublin airport.

Coveney came out in favour of Martin travelling to Washington.

Part of me wonders whether this is politically calculated - as Fine Gael must know that if Martin were to go on a non-essential visit to Washington whilst lecturing the rest of us, Fianna Fail support would nosedive even more than it already has.

If I were a Fine Gael minister, I would support Martin going for precisely that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

What a ridiculous comment.

Are you seriously trying to compare fostering a relationship with the most powerful country in the world that could have profoundly positive impacts on our little island to gob****es going on the beer in lanzarote for a week.

One is the epitome of essential. The other is the epitome of selfishness.

Are you seriously trying to compare fostering a relationship with the most powerful country in the world that could have profoundly positive impacts on our little island to gob****es going on the beer in lanzarote for a week.

Every other form of essential work is done via Zoom and other remote means.

Martin should set the example of precisely that - not go, but instead have some form of remote event / follow-up.

First of all, before we engage any further, please remain calm and show some civility towards people. Second of all have you ever head of Zoom? video calling?

Aren't we suppose to be in a pandemic? Joe Biden can live without Michael Martin :pac: there is always 'next year' as the pro-lockdown supporters like to say so often on here.

This is not essential. End of story.

Martin should set the example of precisely that - not go, but instead have some form of remote event / follow-up.

No he shouldn’t do it by zoom. In the same way that those dealing with Brexit last year were right to travel to Brussels in person rather than doing it by zoom.

I personally wouldn't care what Michael Martin did, if NPHET, the media and the government didn't spend the last two weeks using travel as some sort of desperate scapegoat to cover up the real ongoing issues. Amazing how the narrative quickly changes.

I bet you won't hear about travel for the next few weeks in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

No he shouldn’t do it by zoom. In the same way that those dealing with Brexit last year were right to travel to Brussels in person rather than doing it by zoom.

This is not Brexit. This is hand delivering a bowl of shamrocks.

He should lead by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tazz T wrote: »
    This is not Brexit. This is hand delivering a bowl of shamrocks.

He should lead by example.

A bowl of shamrock that will be immediately taken away and destroyed by the Secret Service.:)

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/massacre-of-the-st-patricks-day-shamrocks-at-the-white-house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aye, I'm sure there are people who used to travel for work a lot who'd regard meeting people in person as essential for sales/client meetings etc and they're all working from home now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Coveney came out in favour of Martin travelling to Washington.

Part of me wonders whether this is politically calculated - as Fine Gael must know that if Martin were to go on a non-essential visit to Washington whilst lecturing the rest of us, Fianna Fail support would nosedive even more than it already has.

If I were a Fine Gael minister, I would support Martin going for precisely that reason.

If martin goes it just might be a turning point and people might wake and realise what these guys think of us.
    I'm sure he is dreaming every night of handing the shamrock to joe it'll kill him if he doesn't go so it's a matter for his ego and with the exemptions they added in the restrictions for travelling yesterday it's obvious they have put this into them to "justify" his trip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement