Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

As always one rule for the elite and another rule for the plebeians. Meeting Joe Biden is not in our best interest, what is in our interest is reopening our economy, restoring people their individual freedoms and getting back to normal. Actually part of me hopes he will go to DC so as to provoke protest here in Ireland.

There are hundreds of thousands teetering on the brink due to these restrictions and alot of people who's mental health is in crisis because of the brutalisation that we have been subjugated to in recent months. It won't take much to push people over the edge and this could be just what it takes to cause mass protests and civil disobedience.

Tazz T wrote: »
    This is not Brexit. This is hand delivering a bowl of shamrocks.

He should lead by example.

You think that is all he does?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The country is shut down, everyone is at home, the Gardai are laying siege to the exit points to the nation to stop citizens from leaving...
    Our medical experts in NPHET are telling us Summer travel is Out...and restrictions will be in place for some considerable time to come..

Yet people still support the Taoiseach and his sizeable entourage of Civil servants jetting off 1st class or by private jet to a ceremonial event that the vast majority of American citizens either don't care about or know about.. going to see a 78 year old man to hand over a bowl of Shamrock in the middle of a Global pandemic can't be justified in any way....

Do it by Video link or postpone it until a time where both countries aren't suffering high numbers of deaths due to the Virus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You think that is all he does?

It speaks volumes that Martin hasn't the cop on to realise this is a really bad idea.
    Washington will still be there next year as will the US presidency maybe not Biden ( he looks a bit shaky).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The country is shut down, everyone is at home, the Gardai are laying siege to the exit points to the nation to stop citizens from leaving...
    Our medical experts in NPHET are telling us Summer travel is Out...and restrictions will be in place for some considerable time to come..

Yet people still support the Taoiseach and his sizeable entourage of Civil servants jetting off 1st class or by private jet to a ceremonial event that the vast majority of American citizens either don't care about or know about.. going to see a 78 year old man to hand over a bowl of Shamrock in the middle of a Global pandemic can't be justified in any way....

Do it by Video link or postpone it until a time where both countries aren't suffering high numbers of deaths due to the Virus!

What does Biden's age have to do with anything?

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    What does Biden's age have to do with anything?

He's in the Vulnerable group so shouldn't be introducing more contacts, especially politicians from Ireland with a high level of Covid infections...

He's in the Vulnerable group so shouldn't be introducing more contacts, especially politicians from Ireland with a high level of Covid infections...

He's been vaccinated, and I'm sure social distancing, mask wearing and all the relevant protocols will be observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

theguzman wrote: »
    As always one rule for the elite and another rule for the plebeians.

This is why I don't believe this virus is as deadly as they make it out to be. If this virus was really that deadly there would be no selective enforcement. And they wouldn't be so brazen about constantly breaking them while lecturing the rest of us.

He's been vaccinated, and I'm sure social distancing, mask wearing and all the relevant protocols will be observed.

Vaccination doesn't mean someone can't contract the Virus! Just means you won't die, but to take that risk for the U.S President just isn't worth a bowl of Shamrock no matter what..

Vaccination doesn't mean someone can't contract the Virus! Just means you won't die, but to take that risk for the U.S President just isn't worth a bowl of Shamrock no matter what..

It's more than a bowl of shamrock, as you well know.

Who is taking the risk?

• Advertisement

It's more than a bowl of shamrock, as you well know.
    Who is taking the risk?

In the middle of a Global pandemic it's just not on, no matter what... Business all over the world is being done by Video link, Business travel is at Zero...

In the middle of a Global pandemic it's just not on, no matter what... Business all over the world is being done by Video link, Business travel is at Zero...

Says who?

there are hundreds of thousands of people travelling all over the world on essential business as I type this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

No matter what way they cut it , MM heading over to the white house has a bang of “hunger games” off it to me.
    Buy in for travel restrictions will be very very stale imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus lads. Are we all suffering the Bono effect of everyone has to be as miserable as us?

If the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse were in town it would still be essential for MM to go to DC. Most people think that trip is a junket to give shamrocks to the president. So much goes on over those few days that results in investment in Ireland. This trip is particularly important given the damage Trump did to brand Ireland over FDI here. It’s quite possible MM will be first world leader to meet JB face to face

I hope they send him in the back row of one of those single aisle aer lingus a321neo though and he has to get the bus to and from the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Says who?

there are hundreds of thousands of people travelling all over the world on essential business as I type this.

He is supposed to be setting an example to the serfs.
    Him jetting off 3 thousand miles to hand over a bowl of shamrock while joe soap here is not allowed travelled 5k sets a very bad example.
    People have missed family funerals because of this and yet this guy can jet over to hand over some shamrock. Come on.
    The trip is NOT essential. He can re-arrange it for later in the year if things settle down.
    Covoney is already in turkey and is heading to moscow on a jaunt so it appears that they are aloof to their actions.
    I hope he does go it might provoke some sort of reaction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I think Tony Holohan should go over with Michael Martin for a nice break. He deserves a holiday after working so hard for the nation and his acts of heroism are inspirational. It makes me quite emotional thinking about it now. I think he deserves a nice break in Miami where there is lots of sun.

I would donate money to a fund, should we create one? He needs money for a few pints to be fair.

Are all these people the Prime Ministers of their countries?

mikekerry wrote: »
    He is supposed to be setting an example to the serfs.
    Him jetting off 3 thousand miles to hand over a bowl of shamrock while joe soap here is not allowed travelled 5k sets a very bad example.
    People have missed family funerals because of this and yet this guy can jet over to hand over some shamrock. Come on.
    The trip is NOT essential. He can re-arrange it for later in the year if things settle down.
    Covoney is already in turkey and is heading to moscow on a jaunt so it appears that they are aloof to their actions.
    I hope he does go it might provoke some sort of reaction here.

These guys are not going on 'jaunts'!!!!!!!!!

It is essential national business, which will benefit us all in the long run (especially given the fight now between the EU and UK for the ear of the big trading nations) and which is more effective in done face to face (as everyone who has ever done a zoom call with know)

RobitTV wrote: »
    I think Tony Holohan should go over with Michael Martin for a nice break. He deserves a holiday after working so hard for the nation and his acts of heroism are inspirational. It makes me quite emotional thinking about it now. I think he deserves a nice break in Miami where there is lots of sun.
    I would donate money to a fund, should we create one? He needs money for a few pints to be fair.

I can only contribute enough for a One-way ticket for them, that ok? :pac:

I can only contribute enough for a One-way ticket for them, that ok? :pac:

Oh absolutely, that can be arranged!

• Advertisement

Lack of people going on holiday perhaps? you wouldn't think it from the media coverage over the past few weeks.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1356587575163703296

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

RobitTV wrote: »
    Lack of people going on holiday perhaps? you wouldn't think it from the media coverage over the past few weeks.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1356587575163703296

Dublin airport will be even more hit come this summer.
    Belfast airport will be very busy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

Cabinet has been told that 280 people were fined €100 at Dublin Airport checkpoints between Thursday and Sunday for non-essential travel

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

there would be uproar if he went

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Of course the Taosiogh should go to Washington!

I do see the blatant hypocrisy, but for me the answer is not having Micheál stay at home, it's allowing people to travel in peace!

Enforce Covid appropriate behaviour, not meaningless but consequential restrictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

I would like to know whether the Irish Covid travel restrictions apply for traveling from Connolly,Dublin to Belfast via Irishrail. Heard in news that passengers who went for holidays are to be fined 500 euros at the airport.

Is the same applicable for train travel as well? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Is your trip essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Is your journey necessary, because of not, and you get stopped, then expect to be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Stay at home
    SAVE LIVES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Essential travel only! You need to get from Heuston to Connolly to catch the Enterprise!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement