Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

TestLink wrote: »
    I would like to know whether the Irish Covid travel restrictions apply for traveling from Heuston,Dublin to Belfast via Irishrail. Heard in news that fine for passengers who went for holidays are to be fined 500 euros at the airport.

Is the same applicable for train travel as well? Thanks...

Travel restrictions as the name implies aply to travel. By any means.

timeToLive wrote: »
    there would be uproar if he went

There’ll be a bit of noise that will quickly be forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

You'll be better off taking the train from connolly to belfast

I would like to know whether the Irish Covid travel restrictions apply for traveling from Heuston,Dublin to Belfast via Irishrail. Heard in news that fine for passengers who went for holidays are to be fined 500 euros at the airport.

Is the same applicable for train travel as well? Thanks...

There’s no trains from Heuston to Belfast anymore because of covid.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

There’ll be a bit of noise that will quickly be forgotten

Yeah Irish people generally like to be rode by the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Ffs, do we want to reopen proper this year?

As far as I can see Michael Martin travelling to the US will be used by a lot of people at the end of their tether to not be compliant with restrictions like the Dominic Cummings saga in the UK.

It will be a bad move and should be a virtual event for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

The government tells us that we need to sacrifice in order to protect....so I think MM needs to do the same , otherwise, I am going to my own thing if I see the leaders of the country using some BS as a publicity stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Sinn Fein in total agreement. Only visit beaches that are in your locality and no travelling this summer.

I can't imagine many Sinn Fein supporters will agree with the party line.

https://twitter.com/RedFMNews/status/1356644426253291535

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

vandriver wrote: »
    Is your trip essential?

Not very essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Of course the Taosiogh should go to Washington!

I do see the blatant hypocrisy, but for me the answer is not having Micheál stay at home, it's allowing people to travel in peace!

Enforce Covid appropriate behaviour, not meaningless but consequential restrictions!

There is only imagined hypocrisy. It's part of his job. You'd think he was off on a stag weekend or something. Send him over to do his job and represent us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

RobitTV wrote: »
    Sinn Fein in total agreement. Only visit beaches that are in your locality and no travelling this summer.

I can't imagine many Sinn Fein supporters will agree with the party line.

https://twitter.com/RedFMNews/status/1356644426253291535

The "Opposition" eh?

I'm sure people living in Playa Del Portarlington will be delighted, they may even venture to Costa Del Mountmellick?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Should I wait for my airline to cancel my flight ?
    My accomodation is non-refundable ... but I have travel insurance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Scoondal wrote: »
    Should I wait for my airline to cancel my flight ?
    My accomodation is non-refundable ... but I have travel insurance.

Check your travel insurance. Covid related payouts are usually excluded

theguzman wrote: »
    Bus loads of old age pensioners leave Kerry and Cork routinely to deliver patients to Belfast for cataract and other essential surgeries. This was done under the cross border directive under the EU and will continue despite the Brexit of 01/01/21. Dozens of countries will take medical tourists including the USA and Brazil.

Fact of the matter is we don't have a functional healthcare system fit for purpose in Ireland, it exists merely as a glorified social employment scheme for FFG political crony appointments and it is barely functional and kept going by absolutely heroic front line staff who are continuously undermined and outpaid by the mandarin administrators and quangos that exist within the HSE. The majority of the HSE staff are not frontline I may add as there is a huge difference between a highly trained ICU Nurse from Manila and Brenda who's father is friends with the local Fianna Fail TD and landed an office job doing nothing all day earning €900 per week.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/news/kt-exclusive-why-dubai-is-a-top-health-tourism-hub-despite-covid-challenges

https://www.jstor.org/stable/resrep25188?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

And under eu agreements it's organised by the health authorities.

Eu countries are not taking Irish patients at present because, and this will amaze you, of covid!

So again I ask, who is going to Europe for essential medical procedures and what countries? Can you actually point it out? Last I checked, buses from kerry to belfast were not planes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dublin49

we booked flights to Italy before Xmas for September 2021 thinking at least it will sorted in a years time.Not so confident now ,imagine there will huge pressure to get vaccine if that is what is required to get on flights.Just checked with Aer lingus and can rebook up to next Sept which is something at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You think that is all he does?

Pretty much. If he wants to do something related to essential travel he should be going up north to give Arlene a kick up the ass for messing with the gfa.

As for the us, a real leader would say we're going to hold this back until we can allow everyone to travel. Which realistically is very very soon.

Invite biden here in may when he's fast tracked the vax and most of europe is on the green list and give him a field of shamrocks and a pint from a wet pub.

That's what a leader would do.

Hi all just updating here for those that were interested. In France at the moment waiting for my connecting flight to Dubai.

I got the bus from Waterford city to Dublin airport lastnight and the bus was not stopped at any checkpoints nor the airport one either. There was one Garda outside the airport , he was gone when I returned at 3am to go inside the airport

No questions asked as to why we were travelling at any stage of our journey, no guards or people asking questions before security or in the airport.

Pretty normal experience after all. If I had of been in a car maybe it would be different but I’m not sure.

And I’m a female btw not a he :D aha.

Enjoy Dubai. I have lived in this amazing city for 9 years now. The malls, restaurants, beaches and tourist attractions are all open and life is almost fully normal. None of the doom and death and morbidity that you hear from Ireland, which is rapidly reverting to the Peig archetype.

You are actually freer in Dubai (an autocratic monarchy) now than you are in Ireland. The people here are being cared for and vaccinated en masse.

I have learned that if ever there is a biological or environmental crisis in Ireland in the future, relying on the Irish state to assist citizens and lead them out of it would be sheer folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Enjoy Dubai. I have lived in this amazing city for 9 years now. The malls, restaurants, beaches and tourist attractions are all open and life is almost fully normal. None of the doom and death and morbidity that you hear from Ireland, which is rapidly reverting to the Peig archetype.

You are actually freer in Dubai (an autocratic monarchy) now than you are in Ireland. The people here are being cared for and vaccinated en masse.

I have learned that if ever there is a biological or environmental crisis in Ireland in the future, relying on the Irish state to assist citizens and lead them out of it would be sheer folly.
    if Ireland or other European countries only had 1.9 % of their populations over 65 years old, then they'd also probably have a different attitude to the virus which affects older people disproportionately !
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates#Age_structure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Do you think domestic tourism will go ahead this summer?

if Ireland or other European countries only had 1.9 % of their populations over 65 years old, then they'd also probably have a different attitude to the virus which affects older people disproportionately !
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates#Age_structure

Indeed. So if you quarantine those vulnerable categories, the lesson of Dubai is that life can pretty much continue for everyone else. Not without risk to be sure - but with a risk low enough that you can actually live life.

The messaging out of Ireland is pure bleak and fatalistic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

dublin49 wrote: »
    we booked flights to Italy before Xmas for September 2021 thinking at least it will sorted in a years time.Not so confident now ,imagine there will huge pressure to get vaccine if that is what is required to get on flights.Just checked with Aer lingus and can rebook up to next Sept which is something at least.

Michael O'Leary dismissed the idea of vaccination being required to fly, I'd imagine Aerlingus will go the same route. We booked Italy for July at Christmas time thinking it would all be sorted but Nphet don't seem to be willing to give up on their 15 minutes of fame yet. I'd imagine by summer, with vaccination and seasonal falls in numbers, travel should go ahead, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary dismissed the idea of vaccination being required to fly, I'd imagine Aerlingus will go the same route. We booked Italy for July at Christmas time thinking it would all be sorted but Nphet don't seem to be willing to give up on their 15 minutes of fame yet. I'd imagine by summer, with vaccination and seasonal falls in numbers, travel should go ahead, fingers crossed.

Yeah I wouldnt be putting much faith in what O'Leary says. Aer Lingus will do the responsible/majority Airlines thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are booked to go to France on the Ferry at the end of June. Moved from last year. Before Christmas I was optimistic but not anymore.

We had an Airbnb booked in Ireland for the Easter Break - we moved it now.

Don't know what to think. In normal times, we love travel. Prioritise it above other luxuries. Would love to get away from Ireland in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mikekerry

These guys are not going on 'jaunts'!!!!!!!!!

It is essential national business, which will benefit us all in the long run (especially given the fight now between the EU and UK for the ear of the big trading nations) and which is more effective in done face to face (as everyone who has ever done a zoom call with know)

It is a jaunt . Anything that they need to discuss could be done over zoom aprt from handing over some shamrock ( would you consider that essential?).
    They can postpone the trip for a few months.
    If he was really worried about the pandemic he would not be going it's his ego that's pushing him to go.
    Martin knows it's probably his last paddys as taoiseach so he really wants to get over .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Not very essential.

Look within yourself for the answer.Its there.

mikekerry wrote: »
    It is a jaunt . Anything that they need to discuss could be done over zoom aprt from handing over some shamrock ( would you consider that essential?).
    They can postpone the trip for a few months.
    If he was really worried about the pandemic he would not be going it's his ego that's pushing him to go.
    Martin knows it's probably his last paddys as taoiseach so he really wants to get over .

These arguments will just go round in circles. Everything that can be said has been said at this stage.

I 100% disagree with you, and think he absolutely should go. But this is not the thread for the debate

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldnt be putting much faith in what O'Leary says. Aer Lingus will do the responsible/majority Airlines thing

No they won't. They will do the minimum required by law, which is the same as what Ryanair will do.

Vaccine requirment to fly will only become a thing if goverments mandate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mikekerry wrote: »
    Covoney is already in turkey and is heading to moscow on a jaunt so it appears that they are aloof to their actions.
    I hope he does go it might provoke some sort of reaction here.

He's the Minister for Foreign Affairs, it's literally his job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement