Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Where in Ireland (by electoral division) has the most infections. (at almost 11,000/100,000).... A small area in Monaghan that has multiple meat processing plants.

Why?. After 1500+ bulgarians were imported for fruit picking, Coveny signed legislation for 1900 UNSKILLED Brazilian labourers to be granted work permits for his father-in-law Larry Goodman.

This is the source of our awful infections/death rate, after we refused to close our borders/ports/airports

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Please supply reference to legislation or to bus eireann/dublinbus/ianrodeireann byelaws that require masks?. Same as requiring 14 self-isolation when flying into Ireland- only request and NOT obliged by law.

How do you think the Iraqi FAKEUGEES from Sligo were able to infect half the town

No idea but it's on BE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Probably like in the UK. If you’re suspected of not self isolating then you’ll be checked on by the police and fined £1000. The reality is that they’ll check on holiday makers and people who are felt likely to be spending time away from where they said they will be. Not for residents who are at home and who might go out occasionally. As far as I understand it is very much a risk based approach to enforcement. But the legislation to check up on and fine offenders is there

I don't understand that bit woody22? I thought it was not legally enforceable so how can they "fine offenders." And how can the legislation be there if not enforceable?

Would you have a link to where I can read more about it? It's all very vague, too vague. Thanks.

TheDriver wrote: »
    No idea but it's on BE website.

Oh thats ok then, I saw it on a website, so it must be true. DOHH

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

acequion wrote: »
    I don't understand that bit woody22? I thought it was not legally enforceable so how can they "fine offenders." And how can the legislation be there if not enforceable?

Would you have a link to where I can read more about it? It's all very vague, too vague. Thanks.

Ha Ha, more sheeple, a website said it was so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

How do you think the Iraqi FAKEUGEES from Sligo were able to infect half the town

I am 100% sure that this is nonsense, some members of a family were infected, not half a town.

But of course it is clear that you don't care about what is true, but only about what made up fact allows you to vent resentment and hatred against anyone who is not like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Advice that is over two and a half months old is no longer applicable. As Dr. Holohan has also mentioned often, the advice can change due to a number of different factors.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0612/1146963-covid-coronavirus-ireland/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/im-off-to-amsterdam-with-my-pals-i-just-need-to-get-out-of-here-irish-holidaymakers-jet-off-as-ryanair-resumes-flights-39331558.html
    I'm sorry now but this stupid woman with her two kids who didn't want her mother to travel on a plane because she's 70 but she's coming from PARIS to stay with her in the same house. Is she actually that stupid. I feel so sorry for parents who have to deal with these adult children putting their lives at enormous risk.

I know one couple in Paris, isolated themselves this whole time and they still got covid.

fisgon wrote: »
    I am 100% sure that this is nonsense, some members of a family were infected, not half a town.

But of course it is clear that you don't care about what is true, but only about what made up fact allows you to vent resentment and hatred against anyone who is not like you.

Correct. Subject to lock-down, have to show ID/Letter from employer to get to work, cannot travel to see my mother, cannot take part in my chosen sport, and many other breaches of my constitutional rights.

At least 1 Family member drove from Sligo to Dublin Airport to pick-up rest of family, but this was ok? because it was ACTUALLY AGAINST THE LAW as per SI121/2020 and subsequently infected more people, whomever they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/im-off-to-amsterdam-with-my-pals-i-just-need-to-get-out-of-here-irish-holidaymakers-jet-off-as-ryanair-resumes-flights-39331558.html
    I'm sorry now but this stupid woman with her two kids who didn't want her mother to travel on a plane because she's 70 but she's coming from PARIS to stay with her in the same house. Is she actually that stupid. I feel so sorry for parents who have to deal with these adult children putting their lives at enormous risk.

I know one couple in Paris, isolated themselves this whole time and they still got covid.
    You have a personal story for every situation, what a fortunate coincidence everytime. ;-)

• Advertisement

You have a personal story for every situation, what a fortunate coincidence everytime. ;-)

That was two new ones just today

I don’t know the details, just remember seeing it in the news that day. I have heard of people being fined, so there must be some mechanism to sanction people who aren’t where they say they’ll be. Maybe I’m wrong.....maybe it’s all just guff from Pritti Patel and it is as unenforceable as in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Advice that is over two and a half months old is no longer applicable. As Dr. Holohan has also mentioned often, the advice can change due to a number of different factors.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0612/1146963-covid-coronavirus-ireland/

No, definitely not I mean in 2 months the virus itself has changed, I mean back then Holohan didn't close the Nursing homes either. I think the virus is higher now than when he said no masks were needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

I have no idea on the ins and outs of this story but it does kind of come back to the same issue of the government fudging things.

Regardless of what side of the argument you are on, we are either closed or not closed when it comes to travel. There is no inbetween nor can there be.

If the quote is true, then once this person was able to arrive in unchecked then the matter of how they made there way across the country is immaterial. Once they were here they were here.

Once again though short of sealing all borders for an unknown and indefinite period of time, we do have to get on with and prepare for infection spikes.

In this regard we have to be responsible for own behaviour be it social distancing, mask wearing, hand hygiene etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

spockety wrote: »
    Simon Harris is spitting bricks about that interview;

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1278221198976077824

EDIT: Actually it turns out he may be spitting bricks about a slightly earlier interview with a rep from Ryanair.

https://youtu.be/__iK2VjaROg

The same Simon Harris who said it was pointless to ban flights from Europe at the beginning of March? What a knob end, with zero self awareness of how clueless he is. First the masks flip flopping and now flights. Just shut up little man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Can I pose another question.

Say one chooses to fly now, and returns and completes the mandatory form.

On the form I understand you have to put down the address you will be self isolating at for the next 14 days

What if that person leaves on another flight out of the country a few days later?

Do you put this on the form?

This is hypothetical and clearly the last thing Tony wants to see!

But really what would happen?

It's only the completion of the form that is mandatory rather than the quarantine/ self isolation no?

https://youtu.be/__iK2VjaROg

The same Simon Harris who said it was pointless to ban flights from Europe at the beginning of March? What a knob end, with zero self awareness of how clueless he is. First the masks flip flopping and now flights. Just shut up little man.

It's just negligence, we're in what is a De Facto ban on travel outside the island by a very political CMO. They have no credibility. The travel ban is an over reaction and banning it still won't eliminate the virus.

That was two new ones just today

Walter Mitty has nothing on a certain cohort in this and another thread I follow.

Damiencm wrote: »

It's only the completion of the form that is mandatory rather than the quarantine/ self isolation no?

100% correct.

Damiencm wrote: »
    Can I pose another question.

Say one chooses to fly now, and returns and completes the mandatory form.

On the form I understand you have to put down the address you will be self isolating at for the next 14 days

What if that person leaves on another flight out of the country a few days later?

Do you put this on the form?

This is hypothetical and clearly the last thing Tony wants to see!

But really what would happen?

This question totally shows the absolute f0ck-up that was made by our UNELECTED government.

Refused to close our borders (to Italian rugby fans/Chelthenham racegoers/Bulgarian fruit pickers/Brazilian meat packers/ Muslim ramadan/Haj tourists etc

BUT now demand Irish people don't travel, while at the same time keep our airports open for all

• Advertisement

This question totally shows the absolute f0ck-up that was made by our UNELECTED government.Refused to close our borders (to Italian rugby fans/Chelthenham racegoers/Bulgarian fruit pickers/Brazilian meat packers/ Muslim ramadan/Haj tourists etc BUT now demand Irish people don't travel, while at the same time keep our airports open for all

Ah but Chief Holohan tells us "It's for our own good" ....."The reds are under the bed"

Ah but Chief Holohan tells us "It's for our own good" ....."The reds are under the bed"

Just as well that all of us that don't have cervix, don't trust him, but the half of the rest, that do seem to trust him, even after his history of selling them out, and would still trust him in their ??

His side-kick, in all those press conferences, from the March start, drove from Sligo every day, in contravention of all government and health laws and advisories, but the rules were only for us not "THE RULING ELITE"

I don’t know the details, just remember seeing it in the news that day. I have heard of people being fined, so there must be some mechanism to sanction people who aren’t where they say they’ll be. Maybe I’m wrong.....maybe it’s all just guff from Pritti Patel and it is as unenforceable as in Ireland

You heard of people being fined in England or in Ireland?

Sorry to badger you with questions but I'm just trying to make sense of this. If I have to do this self isolating on return I need to know what exactly it entails.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I am going to travel. if your worried about the virus you should continue to isolate and have your shopping delivered.

Just as well that all of us that don't have cervix, don't trust him, but the half of the rest, that do seem to trust him, even after his history of selling them out, and would still trust him in their ??

People just have a very very short memory, I mean "we" have just elected a Fine Fail Taoiseach, a man who was a senior minister when they drove the economy off a cliff.
    And we have a CMO responsible for hundreds of deaths from trolley scandals, cancer scan failures, a €15 billion a year health budget yet they ship off the elderly and infirmed into private nursing homes were they are abused or not cared for.,,the most expensive Hospital in Europe if not the world at €204 billion?.. He's very political yet unelected, he should be in prison.

People just have a very very short memory, I mean "we" have just elected a Fine Fail Taoiseach, a man who was a senior minister when they drove the economy off a cliff.
    And we have a CMO responsible for hundreds of deaths from trolley scandals, cancer scan failures, a €15 billion a year health budget yet they ship off the elderly and infirmed into private nursing homes were they are abused or not cared for.,,the most expensive Hospital in Europe if not the world at €204 billion?.. He's very political yet unelected, he should be in prison.

I'm not sure I'd go that far but the arrogance of the man, ie Holohan, really is staggering.

You heard of people being fined in England or in Ireland?

Sorry to badger you with questions but I'm just trying to make sense of this. If I have to do this self isolating on return I need to know what exactly it entails.

The UK and Ireland have differing legislation. In the UK the measures gave police the power to carry out spot checks at the homes of international arrivals, and impose fines of £1,000 for breaking the self-isolation rules. In Ireland nothing like that sanction exists. I have heard reported on radio 5 in the UK that fines have been handed out to people taking the p1ss by holidaying about the place, but most reports talk of hardly any fines being handed out and the whole thing being a joke

Oh, and arrivals from Ireland to the Uk are exempt from quarantine anyway, so nothing to worry about there

I'm not sure I'd go that far but the arrogance of the man, ie Holohan, really is staggering.

I don't want to make this thread about Holohan, but if you read back over the last 10 years of his reign at the HSE, the failures, the deaths, the arrogance... I mean this travel ban he's pushing on the Irish people is just a doubling down of the failures his approach to the lockdown has brought, and we as yet have no one in Government who's willing to muzzle him and go with what the rest of the EU are doing. Any other CMO in an advanced EU country who has his history would have been fired and/or jailed.

I don't want to make this thread about Holohan, but if you read back over the last 10 years of his reign at the HSE, the failures, the deaths, the arrogance... I mean this travel ban he's pushing on the Irish people is just a doubling down of the failures his approach to the lockdown has brought, and we as yet have no one in Government who's willing to muzzle him and go with what the rest of the EU are doing. Any other CMO in an advanced EU country who has his history would have been fired and/or jailed.

He was twice asked for his resignation, in any other jurisdictions he would have been sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Whoever the crazy man that was on The Tonight Show at the end said to try and tell us to stay at home because look at Algarve for an example, no cases a few weeks ago now loads cases.

They have had cases since February

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement