Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You're suggesting close contacts don't need to self-isolate because we're stopping the spread from travel? On what basis?

You haven’t answered my question.

I asked you if it was ok. Instead you chose to attack the poster rather than the post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    May? :eek:

Between mandatory quarantine, 5k limit, pub/restaurant closures etc., there's going to be no travel to or within Ireland in 2021..

Govt. need to announce the continuation of the PUP and business supports for the remainder of 2021 and into 2022 also...

Lots of businesses aren't eligible for any supports apart from dumping employees onto the PUP.

Fresh air doesn't pay rent, utilities, suppliers, loans.

What they fail to mention, Nursing Homes and Hospitals.
    Because, they are under the responsibility of the Government.

Well no, nursing homes are almost all private and theres private hospitals too but thats beside the point. We cant stop sick people seeking and obtaining treatment nor can we turf out old residents with dementia.

So the reason they arent mentioned is because they are absolutely essential and cant be closed or emptied.

Thinking of booking a free cancellation break in Kerry for July but I live in Cork. Did I take what Tony Houlihan said too literally when he said beaches in your own area? Do you think it is likely we will have to stay in our own county by July? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Enjoy Dubai. I have lived in this amazing city for 9 years now. The malls, restaurants, beaches and tourist attractions are all open and life is almost fully normal. None of the doom and death and morbidity that you hear from Ireland, which is rapidly reverting to the Peig archetype.

You are actually freer in Dubai (an autocratic monarchy) now than you are in Ireland. The people here are being cared for and vaccinated en masse.

I have learned that if ever there is a biological or environmental crisis in Ireland in the future, relying on the Irish state to assist citizens and lead them out of it would be sheer folly.

:D That reads like a Dubai Travel Promotion

This is a 'biological' crisis. Otherwise known as a 'Pandemic' ie. A disease outbreak that spreads across countries or continents.
    Dubai has ordered bars and pubs to close until the end of the month to suppress a spike in coronavirus cases, after tourists and influencers flocked to the emirate over the holiday period...

But while masks and social distancing are mandatory, it has not prevented a sharp increase in cases in the new year after Dubai branded itself as an open, sunny and quarantine-free winter escape...

"Penalties will be strictly imposed on anyone found posing a risk to public health by deliberately disregarding preventive measures or not observing them properly," the Crisis and Disaster Management committee said...

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1194417/

As of 2nd February:

Dubai - 7 day average for Covid cases - 3,500
    New cases - 3,310

Ireland - 7 day average for Covid cases - 1,225
    New cases - 871

Caring?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/09/homeless-migrants-sleep-rough-beneath-dubais-skyscrapers-covid/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrant_workers_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates#COVID-19_pandemic

Freer in Dubai? (an autocratic monarchy)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

Let's not kid ourselves ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s quite unnerving to think that some posters on here actually would like to see our borders permanently shut and ban travel indefinately.

Am i right? Feel free to let yourselves be known, i’m quite curious.

It's quite unnerving to think that some posters would like to see our borders wide open and restrictions continue indefinitely for the residents of the country.

How does that work for you?

If we're all locked in our homes essentially, there is almost no reason for anyone to be coming in or going out.

Sometimes you need Mad Wallace and Crazy Daly to jump a fence in times like this.

Stuff your foreign holidays for one year, it won't kill ya.

Danno wrote: »
    It's quite unnerving to think that some posters would like to see our borders wide open and restrictions continue indefinitely for the residents of the country.

If we're all locked in our homes essentially, there is almost no reason for anyone to be coming in or going out.

Sometimes you need Mad Wallace and Crazy Daly to jump a fence in times like this.

How the feck would some people today handle a long period of effective lockdown similar to WW2?

I can just imagine the wailing about not being allowed to go on their holidays ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Oh give over will ya. My post was aimed at people who want travel banned and borders closed permanently. I have no intention of travelling until herd immunity is achieved.

As for foreign holidays, the main reason i travel is because i have family in another country. I have no interest in sun holidays.

Oh give over will ya. My post was aimed at people who want travel banned and borders closed permanently. I have no intention of travelling until herd immunity is achieved.

As for foreign holidays, the main reason i travel is because i have family in another country. I have no interest in sun holidays.

Who are these people "who want travel banned and borders closed permanently"?

Most here seem to be advocating for restrictions to be put in place until Covid 19 is under control here and we have proper quarantine and vaccination protocols. And that atm unfortunately is like a bit of string. No one is sure tbf.

gozunda wrote: »
    Who are these people "who want travel banned and borders closed permanently"?

Most here seem to be advocating for restrictions to be put in place until Covid 19 is under control here and we have proper quarantineand vaccination protocols. And that atm unfortunately is like a bit of string. No one is sure tbf.

So how long do you propose your quarantine rules for?

• Advertisement

So how long do you propose your quarantine rules for?

As detailed above
    Most here seem to be advocating for restrictions to be put in place until Covid 19 is under control here and we have proper quarantineand vaccination protocols. And that atm unfortunately is like a bit of string. No one is sure tbf.

I certainly dont advocate that travel is "banned and borders closed permanently"
    I doubt anyone else does either.

As asked above who exactly who are looking for indefinite restrictions you detailed?

As detailed above

I certainly dont advocate that travel is "banned and borders closed permanently"
    I doubt anyone else does either.

As asked above who exactly who are looking for indefinite restrictions you detailed?

Well that’s good to hear, good man….

I work with the public, i hear it all the time “ oh we should stop travel even when vaccinated because of the strains, oh the strains , it’s the strains blah blah”

A few posters on the forum have had the same attitude too, go back through the thread and you’ll find it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m getting a severe feeling of deja vu from the bolden bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How the feck would some people today handle a long period of effective lockdown similar to WW2?

I can just imagine the wailing about not being allowed to go on their holidays ...

That was definitely a late night, “why in my day” post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I don’t want a case where we have to lockdown the whole country again cause of new strains which are coming through keeping our airports being open....let’s focus on getting back to life here rather than putting ourselves into danger

I don’t want a case where we have to lockdown the whole country again cause of new strains which are coming through keeping our airports being open....let’s focus on getting back to life here rather than putting ourselves into danger

So in your opinion how long should we keep the airports closed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

When I was abroad recently met many who where in need of a break, dublin has exerienced nearly a year of social restarurant and bar closure no other country in europe has inposed such dracorain rules so fair play to those, we must protect the mental health of the living, locking down is killing the living
    I know a HR manager of a large company would have told some wfh employees to take a break as their mental health is now becoming more of an issue.
    I will be on my way again very soon essential of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

agoodpunt wrote: »
    When I was abroad recently met many who where in need of a break, dublin has exerienced nearly a year of social restarurant and bar closure no other country in europe has inposed such dracorain rules so fair play to those, we must protect the mental health of the living, locking down is killing the living
    I know a HR manager of a large company would have told some wfh employees to take a break as their mental health is now becoming more of an issue.
    I will be on my way again very soon essential of course

Everyone could do with a break, but are either managing without or doing it within guidelines. The special ‘I NEED a holiday abroad’ snowflakes are actually just selfish people leaving everyone else to do the heavy lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

No, I'm saying let travel continue, just restrict what happens when somebody travels here

My logic is that the virus came here from outside the country and all cases are then linked to those that came in

But yeah read it whatever way your brain allows

That's how pandemics works. What's your point? Not one country has stopped the virus from coming in by putting anti-travel restrictions in place. See those Zero Covid countries. None have stopped it and none will. it will get in the minute they relax restrictions unless they want to remain cut of from the world forever.

They are delaying the inevitable. in fact, you could argue it will be much worse as they won't have any immunity to new variants.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I`ll be on the first flight out of here to a hot country as soon as I possibly can exactly like I did last August when we went on the "green list"

I cant do a stay cation where Im ripped off completely by the "hospitality" industry making up for their lost earnings over the last year.
    **** weather,extortionate prices etc.

Nope --sun here we come!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

Tazz T wrote: »
    That's how pandemics works. What's your point? Not one country has stopped the virus from coming in by putting anti-travel restrictions in place. See those Zero Covid countries. None have stopped it and none will. it will get in the minute they relax restrictions unless they want to remain cut of from the world forever.

They are delaying the inevitable. in fact, you could argue it will be much worse as they won't have any immunity to new variants.

They're delaying until the population is vaccinated. They can live life as normal until that happens, minus "foreign holidaying".

Your last sentence makes no sense either. No-one will have immunity to new variants if vaccines don't provide it.

They're delaying until the population is vaccinated. They can live life as normal until that happens, minus "foreign holidaying".

Your last sentence makes no sense either. No-one will have immunity to new variants if vaccines don't provide it.

Once again, the vaccines are effective against the new variants. It seems some people are having issues understanding this.

Furthermore this virus can’t mutate much more before it loses functionality and tweaked vaccines will combat any future mutations anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just read the News Talk article: "Barely any change to Dublin Airport passenger numbers after new fines introduced"

That's mad!
    There is a level 5 national lock-down. Everywhere in the world is still suffering from Corona. But people are still going on holiday. How pig headed, self absorbed do you have to be? :pac:

Once again, the vaccines are effective against the new variants. It seems some people are having issues understanding this.

Furthermore this virus can’t mutate much more before it loses functionality and tweaked vaccines will combat any future mutations anyway.

No issues understanding it whatsoever, I didn’t state otherwise. I was refuting the claim that countries who have banned travel like NZ will be more susceptible to the variants. That is not the case and a bizarre claim.

Take time to read posts before jumping in to respond.

faceman wrote: »
    That was definitely a late night, “why in my day” post :D

Nah - Just a little bit of musing on how feking soft we've all become

The Australians are apt to call the British 'whinging' poms - reckon we'd presently give them a good run for that title :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I`ll be on the first flight out of here to a hot country as soon as I possibly can exactly like I did last August when we went on the "green list"I cant do a stay cation where Im ripped off completely by the "hospitality" industry making up for their lost earnings over the last year.
    **** weather,extortionate prices etc.Nope --sun here we come!!

True...last Summer a majority of people used the holiday money to paint the house, buy a BBQ and a new patio for the garden to "holiday at home..."
    I'm not sure many people will be so keen to "#staycation2021" as they were last year now they know just how expensive it is, mix in Government restriction Level *Insert number here* ... why bother, if you're lucky enough to still have a job this summer or have managed to save some money then it's cheaper to get a flight and holiday abroad, and you'll enjoy the break away from Ireland.

No issues understanding it whatsoever, I didn’t state otherwise. I was refuting the claim that countries who have banned travel like NZ will be more susceptible to the variants. That is not the case and a bizarre claim.

Take time to read posts before jumping in to respond.

There’s too much of an obsession of these variants and false information.

So what do you suggest we do about these variants. If the vaccine brings the pandemic under control should we keep the airports closed just in case of a new “variant”?

Nah - Just a little bit of musing on how feking soft we've all become

The Australians are apt to call the British 'whinging' poms - reckon we'd presently give them a good run for that title :pac:

To be fair, in WW2 you weren’t banned from seeing your relatives, from going to the pub, from seeing friends, from hooking up, from being at a dying relatives bedside, from going to the park or beach more than 5km away. If you lived alone you weren’t stuck in your house getting more and more isolated

There were a lot of deaths. That is literally the only comparable

It’s a completely nonsense equivalence

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Way too much - Its an easy way to keep the populace under control.
    So what do you suggest we do about these variants. If the vaccine brings the pandemic under control should we keep the airports closed just in case of a new “variant”?

Ill be bringing back a San Miguel Variant - resistant to everything except copious amounts of San Miguel.

• Advertisement

Again, if you'd read my original response to the user Tazz you'd find that I was providing reasoning as to why some countries have put anti-travel restrictions in place.

I then called out his last sentence on variants are hyperbole as countries like NZ will have the exact same level of protection as countries like Ireland due to the vaccines.

I never said anything about restrictions once populations are vaccinated, nor did I mention anything about efficacy of the vaccines themselves. Please take time to read posts before jumping in to respond.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement