Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

560 outbreaks currently in hospitals and care settings
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0204/1195054-coronavirus-blog/

Jesus Christ, that is a lot of outbreaks.

It's not international or even inter county travel that NPHET should be fixated with.
    It's travel to hospitals and nursing homes.
    Even my law/clergy-strictly-abiding mother used to say, "people in glass houses.."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

gozunda wrote: »
    Why then was China locking itself down and then suspending travel by foreign nationals into the People’s Republic of China since March 26 2020?Yet we had WHO were losing their **** over other countries doing the same with Chinese nationals travelling from China and implying that everyone else were all a big bunch of racists or similar as placing travel restrictions on China would cause "fear and stigma".https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/who-coronavirus-update-china-travel/11930752

For all you or I know the Virus could have been circulating around China since March 2019, and Europe in late 2019 with deaths being recorded as from the Flu or Pneumonia..
    Anyhoo, the Tsunami that is Covid19 swept all through national borders from China to America and no one closed the flood gates in time, now we're all just about learning to swim...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

yeah but you arent supposed to. He didnt say he couldnt physically do it or he agreed with it, he said we arent allowed

Where anywhere does it say that you can't talk to people?

mulbot wrote: »
    Where anywhere does it say that you can't talk to people?

If you would care to examine what I ACTUALLY said and what we were discussing instead of putting your own spin on it to try and prove a point you would see the regulations state

"No visitors are permitted in private homes or gardens except for essential family reasons"

and

"No social or family gatherings should take place in other settings."

Therefore, you should not, according to the rules, be calling into your cousin down the road merely for a cup of tea and a chat as I stated or indeed, in their garden, etc.

You CAN meet one other person when exercising however so for the sake or argument, while you are BOTH walking the dog you can stop and have a little chat.

****And theres no point in attacking me over any of this, I havent expressed any personal feelings one way or the other****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

josip wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0204/1195054-coronavirus-blog/

Jesus Christ, that is a lot of outbreaks.

It's not international or even inter county travel that NPHET should be fixated with.
    It's travel to hospitals and nursing homes.
    Even my law/clergy-strictly-abiding mother used to say, "people in glass houses.."

Its much easier for these clowns to blame us for daring to want to start living our lives again than it is so solve the actual problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    True...last Summer a majority of people used the holiday money to paint the house, buy a BBQ and a new patio for the garden to "holiday at home..."
    I'm not sure many people will be so keen to "#staycation2021" as they were last year now they know just how expensive it is, mix in Government restriction Level *Insert number here* ... why bother, if you're lucky enough to still have a job this summer or have managed to save some money then it's cheaper to get a flight and holiday abroad, and you'll enjoy the break away from Ireland.

Oh well as long as you save money....... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Leo has booked his staycation in Sligo, I suppose when your on a great salary you can afford the rip off prices in Ireland.

Even to go away for a weekend over here is like going for a full week in Spain with all the extras included.

He also says we will be sitting outside having drinks. Nothing about inside anymore? It looks like we will have more restrictions this summer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my two trips abroad this summer. Hope Leo enjoys himself.

If you would care to examine what I ACTUALLY said and what we were discussing instead of putting your own spin on it to try and prove a point you would see the regulations state

"No visitors are permitted in private homes or gardens except for essential family reasons"

and

"No social or family gatherings should take place in other settings."

Therefore, you should not, according to the rules, be calling into your cousin down the road merely for a cup of tea and a chat as I stated or indeed, in their garden, etc.

You CAN meet one other person when exercising however so for the sake or argument, while you are BOTH walking the dog you can stop and have a little chat.

****And theres no point in attacking me over any of this, I havent expressed any personal feelings one way or the other****

Not putting my own spin on it. Its complete nonsense for any "rule" to exist to say you shouldn't be able to have a chat with someone if they're in their garden and you happen to walk by on the footpath outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Its much easier for these clowns to blame us for daring to want to start living our lives again than it is so solve the actual problem.

Ita not a competition and most certainly its all part of the same problem.

As to return to "living our lives"- We have three main options. Two which seem to have been fairly successful elsewhere.

1. Shut down all non essential inwards / outwards travel and put in place a quoto system for those who must absolutely travel. Get internal infection rate down and aggressively keep it down and only then remove most internal restrictions. Get everyone vaccinated. Then slowly open up. (NZ model)

2. Keep borders open with strict testing and mandatory state long stay (min 2 weeks) quarantine paid for those who wish to travel. Get internal infection rates down and aggressively keep it down get everyone vaccinated and only then remove most internal restrictions (South Korea model)

3. Alllow people to do what they want with bugger all restrictions. Vaccinate people and hope for the best. (Not recommended afaik).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Episode description: 'Liveline callers react to Frank and Una's decision to travel to the Canary Islands'

Are Frank and Una being put on trial by the callers now? Who gave them the right to sit in judgement? Joe Duffy actually spent a show talking about two individuals. Joe Duffy and his fanatical callers are not fit to sit in judgement of other people. They are usually the same people who wont mind their own business and have been the same for years, well before covid began.

Despite what you think of this couple and what they did. We are heading down a slippery slope. Ask yourselves, is this now the 'new normal' we have to live with?

Being put on trial by radio show listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

have you a link to prove people are going on holidays? Maybe its because they have citizenship of another country and maybe live there but were visiting relatives in Ireland, or maybe were doing essential work in Ireland? Maybe they returned home to Ireland for Christmas , got Covid and are now only fit to return to their lives and jobs abroad? Maybe they are travelling abroad for medical treatment (Vicky Phelan did recently)?
    How do you know everyone is going on holidays?

Well there was one fairly regular poster on here the last while who was updating everyone on her plans for a jolly over to Dubai to work remotely.

How do you know that nobody is going on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I have heard anecdotally that there are several Irish people in my locality that have gone over to different Spanish islands and with connectivity what it is today are able to work remotely for whatever company they are employed by. And who could blame them. It is an idyllic lifestyle with warm weather, balcony sea views etc. If my own circumstances were different I would do the same. A lot of immigrants to Ireland who work in multinationals for example accounts payable/receivable roles with Spanish, French, German have long left and are doing the same but may decide to come back again. It is hard to envisage office workers being back in 2021. I'm surprised that there is not more uproar in other countries which are landing spots for all these work migrants. I would say there is a far far greater outflow of passengers on a one way ticket than inflow.

Well there was one fairly regular poster on here the last while who was updating everyone on her plans for a jolly over to Dubai to work remotely.

How do you know that nobody is going on holidays?

I don't think there's much doubt that people are heading off on holiday. This from last week...
    Micheál Martin told his parliamentary party that 800 people arrived into the airport yesterday, including 397 from holiday spots, and the majority of 542 were Irish citizens. 

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0127/1193387-covid-ireland/
    Gg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As to return to "living our lives"- We have three main options. Two which seem to have been fairly successful elsewhere.

1. Shut down all non essential inwards / outwards travel and put in place a quoto system for those who must absolutely travel. Get internal infection rate down and aggressively keep it down and only then remove most internal restrictions. Get everyone vaccinated. Then slowly open up. (NZ model)

2. Keep borders open with strict testing and mandatory state long stay (min 2 weeks) quarantine paid for those who wish to travel. Get internal infection rates down and aggressively keep it down get everyone vaccinated and only then remove most internal restrictions (South Korea model)

3. Alllow people to do what they want with bugger all restrictions. Vaccinate people and hope for the best. (Not recommended afaik).

If you want that to work you’ll need to add:

4. Put confirmed covid cases and their close contacts in mandatory quarantine detention centres

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

PTH2009 wrote: »

Great entertainment.
    And yet I didn't see one coherent argument about why Frank and Una going to Gran Canaria is doing anyone any harm.
    It's literally just people calling in to say 'my life is miserable so i demand that yours is too'.

faceman wrote: »
    If you want that to work you’ll need to add:

4. Put confirmed covid cases and their close contacts in mandatory quarantine detention centres

Dont follow you. Want which to work? The first two scenarios are what some countries are already implementing atm . The third seems to be what some are suggesting.

I haven't suggested any of them over the other.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Leo has booked his staycation in Sligo, I suppose when your on a great salary you can afford the rip off prices in Ireland.

Even to go away for a weekend over here is like going for a full week in Spain with all the extras included.

He also says we will be sitting outside having drinks. Nothing about inside anymore? It looks like we will have more restrictions this summer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my two trips abroad this summer. Hope Leo enjoys himself.

He can get stuffed with his "staycation" bs again. Unless they plan on being on Level 1 or 0for the Summer he can piss off. We're not going to suffer through the lockdowns/heavy restrictions/ snail's pace re-openings all Summer and when we finally get a chance of freedom they pull the whole "Got to lock down again. Just to be on the safe side" bull**** again.

Let him don the Green jersey and get on with the Vaccinations.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    He can get stuffed with his "staycation" bs again. Unless they plan on being on Level 1 or 0for the Summer he can piss off. We're not going to suffer through the lockdowns/heavy restrictions/ snail's pace re-openings all Summer and when we finally get a chance of freedom they pull the whole "Got to lock down again. Just to be on the safe side" bull**** again.

Let him don the Green jersey and get on with the Vaccinations.

He'd rather be wearing the Blue Shirt!!

He'd rather be wearing the Blue Shirt!!

Definitely. He's proven plenty of times he's not an ally to the Irish.

• Advertisement

Great entertainment.
    And yet I didn't see one coherent argument about why Frank and Una going to Gran Canaria is doing anyone any harm.
    It's literally just people calling in to say 'my life is miserable so i demand that yours is too'.

Gosh yes, it couldn't possibly be people worried about travel spreading covid. Because that wouldn't suit your narrative or that of the idiot cheerleaders supporting your silly post.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I have heard anecdotally that there are several Irish people in my locality that have gone over to different Spanish islands and with connectivity what it is today are able to work remotely for whatever company they are employed by. And who could blame them. It is an idyllic lifestyle with warm weather, balcony sea views etc. If my own circumstances were different I would do the same. A lot of immigrants to Ireland who work in multinationals for example accounts payable/receivable roles with Spanish, French, German have long left and are doing the same but may decide to come back again. It is hard to envisage office workers being back in 2021. I'm surprised that there is not more uproar in other countries which are landing spots for all these work migrants. I would say there is a far far greater outflow of passengers on a one way ticket than inflow.

I think that is right. I'm heading off in a couple of weeks, and am not the only one of my friends who is doing so. My firm has told us that we can work remotely for the long term anywhere that we have an office presence (some kind of tax / legal thing such that if there is payroll in that country then the company has no issues with us locating there remotely). So that includes almost all of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Gosh yes, it couldn't possibly be people worried about travel spreading covid. Because that wouldn't suit your narrative or that of the idiot cheerleaders supporting your silly post.

Are Irish people worried about people spreading Covid to Gran Canaria?

In both cases they were staying there for the long haul.

Even if that's what they are worried about their concerns are misplaced because both callers had negative tests before travelling and were living alone out there (or in frank's case, with his wife)

They admitted they ignored public restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There's this little thing that just recently appeared called Covid19. You might have missed it. It has caused a little bit of inconvenience around the world. It is an infectious and contagious.

The boffins have managed to figure out the incredibly complicated conclusion that if something is contagious, one way to control it is to keep the people who have it away from those who don't.

Because you can never be 100% certain at any one time who does and does not have it (you can only test whether a person had sufficient trace of it at an instant of time they might be tested) then the boffins decided that the only way that you can effectively try to stop the people who have it from spreading it, is to put restrictions on everyone.

Not putting my own spin on it. Its complete nonsense for any "rule" to exist to say you shouldn't be able to have a chat with someone if they're in their garden and you happen to walk by on the footpath outside.

And what's that got to do with what anyone here said? You made up that scenario so please, explain to us that were not taking about that scenario, why you felt the need to bring it into the conversation?

A conversation that was specifically about visiting a family member in their house on your street.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Personally think O'Leary has got it spot on. Vaccinate all the over 50's and clinically vulnerable and then open up, lift everything and do it as quickly as possible. With that section of the population vaccinated hospitalizations and deaths will be hugely reduced and we get on with living. This is an endemic virus and it ain't going anywhere but if hospitalizations and deaths are low and all the data coming from these fantastic vaccines shows they are working well what is the problem ? If we don't lift at this point we may as well stay in perpetual lockdown forever in case anyone dies from the flu or any other communicable disease in the future.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Being put on trial by radio show listeners.

You seem to think this is a new thing. It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

All the media hyping the nz model with gigs and bars open. No one can leave no one enters indefinitely. They are just delaying the inevitable.

The key message is the same as it was at the beginning: flatten the curve til the virus burns itself out like every virus in human history. Be careful, vaccinate, protect and bolster the health services and balance the economy with rationale health policies.

Fining people for travelling instead of investing in health infrastructure is piss poor government. One that will be seen in years and elections to come.

• Advertisement

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Personally think O'Leary has got it spot on. Vaccinate all the over 50's and clinically vulnerable and then open up, lift everything and do it as quickly as possible. With that section of the population vaccinated hospitalizations and deaths will be hugely reduced and we get on with living. This is an endemic virus and it ain't going anywhere but if hospitalizations and deaths are low and all the data coming from these fantastic vaccines shows they are working well what is the problem ? If we don't lift at this point we may as well stay in perpetual lockdown forever in case anyone dies from the flu or any other communicable disease in the future.

I'd be weary of O'Leary - he's only thinking of himself and what he can make off flogging as many cheap flights to as many desperate holiday makers as possible.

But you're probably right. As soon as as the bulk of vaccinations are completed and presuming no other curve balls get lobbed into the mix - travel should open up as well as internal restrictions reduced. Thing is at present rate of vaccinations- that’s going to take some time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement