Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

the countries who have put tight restrictions on selfish people travelling have been successful

thats all there is to say about it

Um, no, Ireland has had some of the tightest restrictions (albeit make believe) in the EU and still found ourselves with rocketing numbers, travel wasn't to blame then and it won't be next time they go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

bladespin wrote: »
    Um, no, Ireland has had some of the tightest restrictions (albeit make believe) in the EU and still found ourselves with rocketing numbers, travel wasn't to blame then and it won't be next time they go up.

The problem around Christmas was that people with slight COVID symptoms were still socializing, they had sniffles etc and put it down to a cold, people didn't want to back out of Christmas plans at last minute over a sniffle.

This whole covid variant stuff is blown out of all proportion and the travel thing is an easy target.

Are we quarantining in hotel settings and threatening imprisonment on close contacts of covid cases in this country and covid positive people? Let's get our own house in order before vilifying minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭blackvalley

you see you are the kind of person who is the problem

whether its i wont be vaccinated, I wont wear a mask, I'll go where I like

sure I'll have a party, cause I want to, I'll go to a lock in sure its great craic

the countries who have put tight restrictions on selfish people travelling have been successful

thats all there is to say about it

Your probably correct . Then on the other side are the absolute saints , class prefects , model citizens who have not strayed one millimeter outside government guidelines for the past twelve months and so can lecture the rest .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Your probably correct . Then on the other side are the absolute saints , class prefects , model citizens who have not strayed one millimeter outside government guidelines for the past twelve months and so can lecture the rest .

.......who bloody well need lecturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

feargale wrote: »
    .......who bloody well need lecturing.

the lecturing has been going on since the start - effective isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I suspect there's a strong feeling of some people being able to see the connection between individual decisions for one's own pleasure/benefit, and the knock-on effects of that if everyone decided to do the same.

There's a reason there are blanket restrictions in place during a pandemic, and couples going on solo runs (and worse, trumpeting that on national radio) does nothing to help the collective effort needed to get us out of this.

I only listened to some of Joe Duffy on RTE yesterday, but from what I heard, I felt that Una and Frank were really only concerned with their own benefit from their stay in Gran Canaria - it seemed to be all about THEM. I couldn't help wondering how the Gran Canarian people would have felt about their arrival from a country with far higher infection rates than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Great entertainment.
    And yet I didn't see one coherent argument about why Frank and Una going to Gran Canaria is doing anyone any harm.
    It's literally just people calling in to say 'my life is miserable so i demand that yours is too'.

Plenty of miserable gits around maybe disappointed with the lives they have created for themselves.

They see people travelling out working remotely for extended periods and look on with envy using a bitter tongue to tear them down.

I can work remotely and I am thinking about getting out for the rest of the year. I can cut my rent costs down by 75% and get my own house quicker.

I'll be doing no harm to anyone one yet there are plenty that will label me if I take a flight out of here.

Moral of the story - don't tar everyone who travels with the same brush.

As someone said, travel wasn't the problem for the 96000. It was the hordes of people ignoring guidelines, travelling between houses and having a free for all. Not singles or couples going to Lanzarote.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

vienne86 wrote: »
    I only listened to some of Joe Duffy on RTE yesterday, but from what I heard, I felt that Una and Frank were really only concerned with their own benefit from their stay in Gran Canaria - it seemed to be all about THEM. I couldn't help wondering how the Gran Canarian people would have felt about their arrival from a country with far higher infection rates than theirs.

Can't remember the name of the other lady in that interview but it was something she said which illustrated just how blinkered some people can be to the bigger issues around Covid. She said something to the effect that she considered the holiday was "me time" and nothing else really mattered and she'd only be heading back when she was due to get her vaccination.

Nary a thought for anyone else at home, patiently waiting for their turn so they too could get out and about. Don't know if she meant it that way - but it came across as extremely uncaring and selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Maybe they won’t.
    There was no discussion about anger because of them coming back, in fact one caller I think said they should come back immediately because they were a disgrace for going away.

Well Una said on national radio she'll be back when sh can get the vaccine which her doctor told her might be July. So I don't know where you are getting that from.

Come July we should be in a really good position if the downward trend continues.
    Someone coming home for the vaccine could easily bring back next strain 3.0 that renders the vaccine they are coming home to get ineffective.

Admittedly this is low probability. Higher probability is that they bring back the generation 1 or 2 strain and kicks off new chains of transmission that all but disappeared here with the lockdown / restrictions.

Spain is a melting pot in the summer and that's the real risk Una and Frank are creating for the country. Alas but it's her time. Kids out of school and hospitals not functioning but she deserves it. Maybe so but she deserves to enter the country safely via mandatory hotel quarantine otherwise we are just kidding ourselves and our children that there won't be more restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

So how do you think travel restrictions should be worded?

If you are concerned about them spreading virus if/when they come back after travel then put in place measures to mitigate risk for people coming into the country*.
    Nobody is objecting to that yet the emphasis seems to put on people leaving the country which is nonsensical.

Going to the airport and staying away for weeks and months on end in a place with lower covid rates than Ireland is eminently less risky (both to the person and to Ireland) than staying here and going about your normal business.

*On this point we have only introduced mandatory PCR for people coming in from abroad a few weeks ago when most countries had it months ago and we haven't even given it a chance to see if it works before demanding harsher restrictions.

• Advertisement

Gran Canaria is happy to accept them in so that's not really any of our concern.
    If they didn't want people coming they would stop them coming.

They seem happy enough to let people in once they bring a negative test from their home country.

The Canary Islands have even taken out an insurance policy for tourists to make sure they don't get stranded or in trouble while over there during Covid times.

London has lost 1/10th of it's population since the pandemic has begun (they haven't died, they have moved away to avoid restrictions or to WFH from a cheaper place).

I Imagine this is probably happening in Ireland too.

https://twitter.com/telebusiness/status/1357639663196979200

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You are confusing things. Or else putting a particular slant on things that suit your own personal position.

No I linked to it earlier in the thread. They do not recommend restricting international. How can I put a spin on something that's on the WHO website.

The WHO don't recommend yo-yoing in and out of lockdown as a strategy. That does not mean that it is not necessary given circumstances at that time. Or that it should not be a piece of the solution.

No they don't recommend lock downs full stop.
    https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19
    What is WHO’s position on ‘lockdowns’ as a way of fighting COVID-19?

Large scale physical distancing measures and movement restrictions, often referred to as ‘lockdowns’, can slow COVID‑19 transmission by limiting contact between people.

However, these measures can have a profound negative impact on individuals, communities, and societies by bringing social and economic life to a near stop. Such measures disproportionately affect disadvantaged groups, including people in poverty, migrants, internally displaced people and refugees, who most often live in overcrowded and under resourced settings, and depend on daily labour for subsistence.

WHO recognizes that at certain points, some countries have had no choice but to issue stay-at-home orders and other measures, to buy time.

Governments must make the most of the extra time granted by ‘lockdown’ measures by doing all they can to build their capacities to detect, isolate, test and care for all cases; trace and quarantine all contacts; engage, empower and enable populations to drive the societal response and more.

WHO is hopeful that countries will use targeted interventions where and when needed, based on the local situation.

What they say is that "lockdowns" should be used by governments to buy time to sort their sh1t out which ours hasn't done so we will continue to have lock down after lockdown until covid is no more.

Ironically, if gobshies weren't breaking restrictions, then we likely wouldn't need as many by now

That's gas - since most people now catch it in hospitals or nursing homes!!
    Its most definitely not from pubs / restaurants or international travel which this government seems to keep throwing the blame on instead of looking at other alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I couldn't help wondering how the Gran Canarian people would have felt about their arrival from a country with far higher infection rates than theirs.

Just another couple of tourists, and would receive a much warmer welcome and better attitudes than fellow Irish citizens would offer them...

They have been welcoming, as have the Italians (in my
    personal experience). Not every country has instilled the same fearful mentality and hostility in its population as Ireland have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

500 euro gonna hurt. Electrical security engineer at hotel in Tenerife......:pac:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1357724770826125314?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They have been welcoming, as have the Italians (in my
    personal experience). Not every country has instilled the same fearful mentality and hostility in its population as Ireland have.

Probably something to do with their economies huge reliance on international tourism, they're probably happy to let a few people die to keep the tax money coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,627 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hellrazer wrote: »

Ehhhhh, that's not true. From your own quote

WHO recognizes that at certain points, some countries have had no choice but to issue stay-at-home orders and other measures, to buy time.
    WHO is hopeful that countries will use targeted interventions where and when needed, based on the local situation.

As I said, they do not recommend it as a strategy to deal with the pandemic. However they recognise that it may be a necessity. Which is exactly what I said, and I even gave you the analogy of the morning after pill to help with understanding.

Probably something to do with their economies huge reliance on international tourism, they're probably happy to let a few people die to keep the tax money coming in

It’s not the Spanish and Italian governments I am talking about. It’s the people. Welcoming and happy that we’ve the confidence to go. Rather than hating and resenting like in this country

It’s not the Spanish and Italian governments I am talking about. It’s the people. Welcoming and happy that we’ve the confidence to go. Rather than hating and resenting like in this country

I wonder what type of a reception you'd get in Barcelona right now if you landed in....

Some posts on here remind me of kids and teenagers who hate their own parents and family and are convinced that everyone else's parents is doing X/Y/Z for their kids and allowing them to do whatever they like.

• Advertisement

I wonder what type of a reception you'd get in Barcelona right now if you landed in....

Some posts on here remind me of kids and teenagers who hate their own parents and family and are convinced that everyone else's parents is doing X/Y/Z for their kids and allowing them to do whatever they like.

well, I'm speaking from some experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Do they allow you to fly to live permanently abroad with a partner or family member? even if they just live in England?

well, I'm speaking from some experience

You've been to Barcelona?

The locals detest the tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

If people are worried about pending or potential new strains coming in to Ireland, then what can we do when the airports are open.

You can’t blame people for leaving if the option allows them to go.

If you want to stop all incoming strains, the the simple facts are
    1. Close the airports (nobody will travel in or out ) and this will help lower the spread.
    2. If that option is not feasible, then mandatory quarantine for 2 weeks at travellers cost - this will definitely deter people
    3. Northern Ireland scenario, checkpoints at the border, again, certainly deter people from risking to and from the North

Whose responsibility for enforcing all of this is the government who are no close in doing so.

While they panse about figuring out what to do, cases remain high and international travellers are getting the blame , typical ploy by the government which is to blame everyone but themselves.

And in the meantime, we are locked within the 5k zone which is ridiculous with a threat of a fine by the gardai

You've been to Barcelona?

The locals detest the tourists.

That's to do with much more than Covid. No, my regular place is Valencia. Where I will be in two weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

If people are worried about pending or potential new strains coming in to Ireland, then what can we do when the airports are open.

You can’t blame people for leaving if the option allows them to go./QUOTE]

Strange how so many people have managed to avoid travelling abroad for non essential reasons in the past year. It is only a minority who can't seem to manage a summer or two without a fortnight in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

500 euro gonna hurt. Electrical security engineer at hotel in Tenerife......:pac:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1357724770826125314?s=20

Lol.

This is the covid equivalent of kids trying to sneak in somewhere poorly disguised as an adult in a big coat and fake beard. So fcuking inept it's comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So I’ve read on other publications today that the Spanish, Greeks, English, Danes and many others are working on vaccination passports and other measures to facilitate travel this summer.
    Meanwhile Ireland looks inward to the wind & rain and misery for summer 2021. If there’s EU travel corridors created this summer i’m finding a way to go.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2021/02/05/78713/government-developing-vaccine-passport-for-tourism-may.html

So I’ve read on other publications today that the Spanish, Greeks, English, Danes and many others are working on vaccination passports and other measures to facilitate travel this summer.
    Meanwhile Ireland looks inward to the wind & rain and misery for summer 2021. If there’s EU travel corridors created this summer i’m finding a way to go.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2021/02/05/78713/government-developing-vaccine-passport-for-tourism-may.html

This helps that strategy:

“Covid-19 vaccine will be given to most adults by end of May, No 10 adviser reveals”

(From the Times)

The fact is that the rest of Europe is going to be going on their holidays this summer and Ireland is not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Will they still accept PCR tests over the summer if you aren't vaccinated?

Ireland won't have anything done by May.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement