Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,627 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

500 euro gonna hurt. Electrical security engineer at hotel in Tenerife......:pac:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1357724770826125314?s=20

A nice start to get yourself into the holiday mood!

Then you land over there and despite reports from the resident boards experts, it might turn out that everything over there is actually not proceeding exactly as it did before corona.

Then be worried about the flight home and whether or not you might get caught with another one on the way back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

RobitTV wrote: »
    Will they still accept PCR tests over the summer if you aren't vaccinated?

Ireland won't have anything done by May.

Probably best to contact the airport that you into to arrive at and see if they have any restrictions/requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

A nice start to get yourself into the holiday mood!

Then you land over there and despite reports from the resident boards experts, it might turn out that everything over there is actually not proceeding exactly as it did before corona.

Then be worried about the flight home and whether or not you might get caught with another one on the way back!
    One fine only, no second fine for the same offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

You've been to Barcelona?

The locals detest the tourists.

Depends on where in the city you are. And the type of tourist you are. I prefer Madrid but if you are away from las Ramblas and the main tourist areas Barcelona it is a welcoming city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

bladespin wrote: »
    Um, no, Ireland has had some of the tightest restrictions (albeit make believe) in the EU and still found ourselves with rocketing numbers, travel wasn't to blame then and it won't be next time they go up.

They had no restrictions on people travelling are you mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Do we need a covid test to fly into the UK now? usually there is no check of any description under the CTA? I had an interesting conversation today with a guy and he was telling me this, same guy was never on a plane to my knowledge, so just wondering here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

There are rumours that June 1st is a potential reopening date for the pubs and restaurants - BUT some are predicting it will only be in outside beer gardens and only 15 people will allowed inside the pub itself. If that happens, it will much more strict than last summer. We are going backwards and not forwards.

This is our summer folks. But don't worry there is always 'next year' just like they said last year. The rest of Europe and even the UK our nearest neighbours will be enjoying relative normality by June or July.

Enjoy your staycations folks. What a load of endless nonsense. People getting ripped off to stay in this country for the summer with little enjoyment. Better off staying at home.

lukas8888 wrote: »
    One fine only, no second fine for the same offence.

It's not the same offence. It's a week later!

That's like saying one parking ticket and boom, park wherever you want

You've been to Barcelona?

The locals detest the tourists.

No, they don't. There's some lunatics and there's unrest periodically but it remains a largely inviting place once you aren't a lager lout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It's not the same offence. It's a week later!

That's like saying one parking ticket and boom, park wherever you want
    I think the courts will have a differing opinion.

There is no €500 offence for entering the state.

• Advertisement

I think the courts will have a differing opinion.

There is no €500 offence for entering the state.

I'm well aware of that thanks. There's none for leaving either.

The user was claiming one ticket, and you are golden. I was pointing out the silliness of that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I'm well aware of that thanks. There's none for leaving either.

The user was claiming one ticket, and you are golden. I was pointing out the silliness of that statement.

There is no fine for entering. How much clearer can it be?

There is no fine for entering. How much clearer can it be?

There's none for leaving either and do I really need to repeat myself here?

vienne86 wrote: »
    I only listened to some of Joe Duffy on RTE yesterday, but from what I heard, I felt that Una and Frank were really only concerned with their own benefit from their stay in Gran Canaria - it seemed to be all about THEM. I couldn't help wondering how the Gran Canarian people would have felt about their arrival from a country with far higher infection rates than theirs.

Who else's benefit would a holiday be for?

I have worked with some people whereby many have benefitted from them Going on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I listened to that show...given how Frank and Una came across....I am going to go with...anyone who knows them based in ireland?
    They would be glad of the break from them I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

There are rumours that June 1st is a potential reopening date for the pubs and restaurants - BUT some are predicting it will only be in outside beer gardens and only 15 people will allowed inside the pub itself. If that happens, it will much more strict than last summer. We are going backwards and not forwards.

This is our summer folks. But don't worry there is always 'next year' just like they said last year. The rest of Europe and even the UK our nearest neighbours will be enjoying relative normality by June or July.

Enjoy your staycations folks. What a load of endless nonsense. People getting ripped off to stay in this country for the summer with little enjoyment. Better off staying at home.

Nothing you have said here is in any way grounded in reality. Rumours, in the time of Covid, are worth less than nothing. No one knows what the situation will be in June or July, here or in Europe. There could still be loads of infections, or very few.

You seem to be complaining about imaginary summer restrictions now, five months before they may or may not happen.

fisgon wrote: »
    Nothing you have said here is in any way grounded in reality. Rumours, in the time of Covid, are worth less than nothing. No one knows what the situation will be in June or July, here or in Europe. There could still be loads of infections, or very few.

You seem to be complaining about imaginary summer restrictions now, five months before they may or may not happen.

It's rather funny you say that, because I have clearly stated before I even began typing that post that they were rumours I never suggested they were 100% set in stone. We will have to wait and see what happens. I for one hope these rumours aren't true. They won't be grounded in reality unless they occur in the first place.

Speculation has always been rife in the times of the coronavirus. They very well may happen or they may not happen. There is no harm in discussing and speculating while we wait with bated breath for another whole 5/6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,627 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No, they don't. There's some lunatics and there's unrest periodically but it remains a largely inviting place once you aren't a lager lout

Well maybe you are right and maybe my friend that has lived on the outskirts of the city there for about 5 years is completely wrong then. When I visited there he came into the centre one of the days to give me a quick tour around and told me about the intolerance towards tourists and the tourism industry. I hadn't been aware of it before I went and was a bit surprised to see all the anti-tourism flags and posters and stickers and graffiti everywhere. A nice place otherwise but I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back. Nothing overt happened but why would you bother going somewhere to spend money where you are not wanted. Of course, some people might be walking oblivious and not realise it. If you just go to the tourist places then you are of course going to get a good reception there.

gmisk wrote: »
    I listened to that show...given how Frank and Una came across....I am going to go with...anyone who knows them based in ireland?
    They would be glad of the break from them I would say

Listened myself, they came across very reasonable and balanced in my opinion.

Same can't be said for some of callers who just came across manic, frantic and most of all just bitter and miserable. You might fit right in by the sounds of that post.

What was the story with your one going on about her autistic daughter anyway? Wtf has that got to do with travel? Misery boosting, absolutely bizarre.

When Frank and Una explained repeatedly that they were in a place way less risky than Ireland, there was no answer. When they explained they weren't coming back for months and would be tested twice when they did, hence could not in any possible way add to the spread in Ireland, there's no response.

But hey we're miserable, how dare you not be miserable!

One particular sour trout of a caller likened them to rats escaping a sinking ship. I'm not sure if he thought the inference through, he must feel its noble in some way to drown.. the virtue of being a drowned rat is strong in 2021 Ireland clearly.

Id laugh but it's so pathetic that it's actually concerning to see people turning on a couple of OAPs taking some (absolutely harmless) time out in the relative safety of the Gran Canaria sun. The callers and anyone that thinks like them should take a good long look at yourselves.

• Advertisement

There's none for leaving either and do I really need to repeat myself here?

Do you really need to be spoon-fed?

“Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to
    travel from place of residence to port or airport
    "

I put the relevant words in bold there for you, so you can't miss it.

https://assets.gov.ie/121419/b269f1ec-6f97-47d8-aeb0-769429d4a4ff.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It is so nice not to live in ireland right now.

542258.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

I hear of people getting fined if caught at Dublin airport flying for a holiday.

Let’s say you are going on a holiday to Spain, you get caught at the airport and fined. Do the guards then force you to turn around and go back home or can you continue on your journey to Spain

I know it’s a silly question but was just wondering.

It's rather funny you say that, because I have clearly stated before I even began typing that post that they were rumours I never suggested they were 100% set in stone. We will have to wait and see what happens. I for one hope these rumours aren't true. They won't be grounded in reality unless they occur in the first place.

Speculation has always been rife in the times of the coronavirus. They very well may happen or they may not happen. There is no harm in discussing and speculating while we wait with bated breath for another whole 5/6 months.

I heard the same rumours. And I don’t think they are a million miles away from being the reality.

It is a horrible legal provision. Question for me is the sustainability of such a provision when numbers are reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

It is a horrible legal provision. Question for me is the sustainability of such a provision when numbers are reduced.

is there an end ate stated in the provision?

Irish Independent: The deadline for this seemingly interminable lockdown remains foggy – but at least we now know it will not be lifted even if the number of new cases is driven down to 200 a day.

So what is the magic number?

The target which public health officials are now aiming for may be close to as low as 10 cases a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dublin49

Listened myself, they came across very reasonable and balanced in my opinion.

Same can't be said for some of callers who just came across manic, frantic and most of all just bitter and miserable. You might fit right in by the sounds of that post.

What was the story with your one going on about her autistic daughter anyway? Wtf has that got to do with travel? Misery boosting, absolutely bizarre.

When Frank and Una explained repeatedly that they were in a place way less risky than Ireland, there was no answer. When they explained they weren't coming back for months and would be tested twice when they did, hence could not in any possible way add to the spread in Ireland, there's no response.

But hey we're miserable, how dare you not be miserable!

One particular sour trout of a caller likened them to rats escaping a sinking ship. I'm not sure if he thought the inference through, he must feel its noble in some way to drown.. the virtue of being a drowned rat is strong in 2021 Ireland clearly.

Id laugh but it's so pathetic that it's actually concerning to see people turning on a couple of OAPs taking some (absolutely harmless) time out in the relative safety of the Gran Canaria sun. The callers and anyone that thinks like them should take a good long look at yourselves.
    the point that got missed was if the Canaries is safer than Ireland you should not be travelling risking the locals safety.Secondly and especially in Ireland if you make a law don't start allowing exceptions or there will be a coach and horses driven through it in gig time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Listened myself, they came across very reasonable and balanced in my opinion. Same can't be said for some of callers who just came across manic, frantic and most of all just bitter and miserable. You might fit right in by the sounds of that post. What was the story with your one going on about her autistic daughter anyway? Wtf has that got to do with travel? Misery boosting, absolutely bizarre.

When Frank and Una explained repeatedly that they were in a place way less risky than Ireland, there was no answer. When they explained they weren't coming back for months and would be tested twice when they did, hence could not in any possible way add to the spread in Ireland, there's no response. ...

That's the thing. Its not 'less risky' by several metrics. Bizarrely this wasn't picked up.

The Canaries are currently battling their own third wave of infection and whilst things are improving - to describe the risk of infection from taking a holiday to a region battling its own outbreak + airport + flying + travel + serviced accommodation etc is certainly not 'less risky' than staying at home as per the Government Advisory against all non-essential international travel.

ICU admissions there have skyrocked with the hospital in Arrecife exceeding the limit of the availability of ICU units with the island of Lanzarote (22% of all new cases) being at the highest warning level and Gran Canaria (53% of all new cases) being at the next highest.
    Individually some islands are doing better than others, as highlighted by the Ministry of Health in today’s data, which shows that 264 new cases of coronavirus have been detected, 139 in Gran Canaria, 59 in Lanzarote, 44 in Tenerife, 10 in La Palma, 7 in El Hierro, and just 5 in Fuerteventura.

The reproductive rate (R) number of the virus at
    or above our own reproductive rate at present. The current outbreak is not helped with the fact that there are no restrictions for travel between the Islands

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/canary-islands-exceeds-100-outbreaks-fourth-week-row

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/canaries-covid-update-04022021

For the eejits of all ages out there not getting the message and generally taking the piss. Perhaps we simply need to up the ante here and do what the UK have done and actually make all non essential travel abroad illegal.
    Under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, you must stay at home. You must not travel, including abroad, unless you have a legally permitted reason to do so. It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

dublin49 wrote: »
    the point that got missed was if the Canaries is safer than Ireland you should not be travelling risking the locals safety.

That's up to them to decide and they want the tourists to come.
    They must enter the country with a negative test before travelling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement