Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

obi604 wrote: »
    I hear of people getting fined if caught at Dublin airport flying for a holiday.

Let’s say you are going on a holiday to Spain, you get caught at the airport and fined. Do the guards then force you to turn around and go back home or can you continue on your journey to Spain

I know it’s a silly question but was just wondering.

Gardaí don't have the power to turn you around, they can issue you the fine and advise you not to travel but it's up to you whether you continue on your journey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, here's your chance to vote, will you #staycation this year?

https://www.thejournal.ie/staycation-poll-5347144-Feb2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

Gardaí don't have the power to turn you around, they can issue you the fine and advise you not to travel but it's up to you whether you continue on your journey

Right. Strange enough rule so. 500 fine. But they can continue on their holidays. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dublin49

That's up to them to decide and they want the tourists to come.
    They must enter the country with a negative test before travelling.

If Una and Frank use the argument that the Canaries are safer then they should accept its wrong to travel to there from a more infected region.Airport travel is the easiest to sort as one point of entry.500 Euro fine and turn back and it would be sorted in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dublin49

all laws have exceptional cases that make the law look a ass.The old adage is true "Hard cases make bad law"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

500 euro gonna hurt. Electrical security engineer at hotel in Tenerife......:pac:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1357724770826125314?s=20

This is the strangest thing ever. Its an offense to lie or mislead a Garda intentions (AFAIK) yet the culprits here were charged the €500 just like everyone else. Seems a bit strange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

And so it beings. The UK media is estimating international travel will be back by May/June, with the UK population expect to be all vaccinated by June.

Its going to be a hard sell to the irish to maintain travel restrictions when the summer season hits.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Etfu6nUXMAEKoo_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Right. Strange enough rule so. 500 fine. But they can continue on their holidays. Strange.

That's just on the way there. Anyone returning is also likley to be slapped with another 500 euro fine. :pac: so 1000 euro on to your €17.99 Ryanair flight to Composto dela Sangria or wherever

This was discussed on the radio earlier in the week.
    Holidaymakers returning from overseas could face fines of up to €500 as they leave airports. Gardai at checkpoints outside ports and airports can levy on-the-spot fines on arriving or departing passengers if they cannot establish an essential reason for their travel.

Looks like new regulations on turning drivers back st the border are also being brought in.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gardai-will-turn-back-drivers-5km-over-the-border-lxvkqd59n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

faceman wrote: »
    This is the strangest thing ever. Its an offense to lie or mislead a Garda intentions (AFAIK) yet the culprits here were charged the €500 just like everyone else. Seems a bit strange.

2 people in my immediate locality murdered over a period of two weeks. Rarely see Guards around the area. No appetite to take on a group who frequently terrorise a security guard in a local shop including racial abuse. I could go on, but this charade on travel while streets are not safe will have long term effects. Who in their right mind would want to live in Ireland if they had a choice to go elsewhere? The climate is crap and we now have martial law (albeit the twitching curtains type).

And absolutely ludicrous that we would sacrifice an annual meeting with the most powerful person in the world for stupid optics on travel. That and hounding people out of their jobs for playing golf and having a bite to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

And so it beings. The UK media is estimating international travel will be back by May/June, with the UK population expect to be all vaccinated by June.

Its going to be a hard sell to the irish to maintain travel restrictions when the summer season hits.

UK already haggling a deal with Greece to open Greece to any UK tourist with proof of vaccination. Can you imagine sitting in Dundalk debating whether it is Laytown or Courtown for the beach holiday this year while cousin Jimmy in Newry jets off to Corfu.....might test the old willpower a bit !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Not really, Irish will be travelling then too I believe. The vaccines of the over 65s should cut deaths and hospital admissions massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

According to a Friday report in The Times, various UK government ministries are working on creating a vaccination passport. This passport could permit foreign tourism by May, by when the vaccination programme in the UK is expected to allow restrictions to be lifted.

It could allow British tourists to holiday in Mallorca earlier rather than later

Link

I think you may be thinking about this when making a statement or report about a crime etc

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1976/act/32/section/12/enacted/en/html

And another 500 when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Not really, Irish will be travelling then too I believe. The vaccines of the over 65s should cut deaths and hospital admissions massively.

Hope you are right about travel restrictions being removed by early summer but if proof of vaccination is required to get in at the other end there are gonna be lots of people who won't be able to travel until Autumn at the earliest or perhaps Xmas depending on vaccine progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I wonder how they can charge you when you get back? If stopped at a checkpoint, you are going home. That’s essential I would think? I guess they seem the trip itself non essential - would you be okay if you left Ireland when there was no restriction?

RobitTV wrote: »
    65% of people who voted on the Journal.ie poll will not be taking a 'staycation' this summer.

Have Irish people decided they don't want to ripped off again? all we have is our expensive hotels, expensive food, expensive drink and sadly the weather is never guaranteed. How can a family of four afford to holiday in this country.

The game is up. Once the UK lets people travel abroad, there will be much discontent in Ireland.

:D

Nice try RobitTV. You might want to look at that poll again.

65% have voted that they will be taking a staycation :pac:

4wxzzp.jpg

So no the "game" as you call it - is not up. Its a Pandemic. It does not just affect Ireland. The rest of the planet is in much the same situation.

Amazing that a few look to the UK for inspiration when to go on holiday - but ignore that in the UK it is illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

gozunda wrote: »
    :D

Nice try RobitTV. You might want to look at that poll again.

65% have voted that they will be taking a staycation :pac:

So no the "game" as you call it - is not up. Its a Pandemic. It does not just affect Ireland. The rest of the planet is in much the same situation.

Amazing that a few look to the UK for inspiration when to go on holiday - but ignore that in the UK it is illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes.

Woops! I must be still half asleep on this boring lockdown Saturday :pac: read that wrong. My apologies.

Yeah we know it's illegal currently, but things can change. We aren't talking about the here and now. We are on about the summer period. Which is still 5/6 months away.

The game of not being able to travel and leave the country will be up when the summer arrives. Most people won't even come close to think about travelling now.

Do you really need to be spoon-fed?

“Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to
    travel from place of residence to port or airport
    "

I put the relevant words in bold there for you, so you can't miss it.

https://assets.gov.ie/121419/b269f1ec-6f97-47d8-aeb0-769429d4a4ff.pdf

I'm baffled by what your point here is. I'm well aware of the rules, I'm enforcing them.

There's absolutely no fine for leaving the country. There's no fine for entering the country. I have said it twice now.

I also explained my point regarding multiple tickets.

So please, what exactly is your point? What is it you think we disagree on?

For what? Traveling home to your place of residence is essential

• Advertisement

The offence is traveling to the airport for the purpose of international travel. The actual international travel itself is not an offence.

Plenty of activities that carry fines and that's it.

............and all over 50's vaccinated by the end of May .........10 million already vaccinated and counting! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

2 people in my immediate locality murdered over a period of two weeks. Rarely see Guards around the area. No appetite to take on a group who frequently terrorise a security guard in a local shop including racial abuse. I could go on, but this charade on travel while streets are not safe will have long term effects. Who in their right mind would want to live in Ireland if they had a choice to go elsewhere? The climate is crap and we now have martial law (albeit the twitching curtains type). And absolutely ludicrous that we would sacrifice an annual meeting with the most powerful person in the world for stupid optics on travel. That and hounding people out of their jobs for playing golf and having a bite to eat.

While I agree the Garda presence is very scarce almost absent around the higher crime rate areas in Dublin(and Ireland).... If you wanted to see martial law then you should have seen the Policia Municipal in Malaga late last year sweeping the streets after nighttime curfew(glorified security guards) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I wonder how they can charge you when you get back? If stopped at a checkpoint, you are going home. That’s essential I would think? I guess they seem the trip itself non essential - would you be okay if you left Ireland when there was no restriction?

I guess they will fine you unless you turn around and go back to the airport and go back to where you flew in from. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Does anyone know what time's the gards set up the checkpoints at the airport? I believe they also check inside the terminal building as well but is this before or after check in/ passport control? Or is it both?

fran38 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time's the gards set up the checkpoints at the airport? I believe they also check inside the terminal building as well but is this before or after check in/ passport control? Or is it both?

Why? As long as your travel is legit, you will be fine

gozunda wrote: »
    I think you may be thinking about this when making a statement or report about a crime etc

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1976/act/32/section/12/enacted/en/html

Ahhhh thank you! So its ok to lie some of the time :D:D

These are a limited number of designated Travel Restrictions exemptions allowed. Getting caught 'going home' ain't one of them.

See:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

............and all over 50's vaccinated by the end of May .........10 million already vaccinated and counting! ;)

Its mad to think that UK has fully vaccinated more than. the entire population of Ireland in less than 6 weeks. Yet we are hoping to have everyone done by September/October.

We can all agree the UK handled the pandemic badly but its hard to argue that they didn't ace the vaccine plan.

• Advertisement

Ahhhh thank you! So its ok to lie some of the time :D:D

Nah - yer man was more likley fined for being a pillock than presenting a dodgy looking letter I reckon. Not sure which legislation covers that though :pac: :pac: :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement