Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

faceman wrote: »
    Its mad to think that UK has fully vaccinated more than. the entire population of Ireland in less than 6 weeks. Yet we are hoping to have everyone done by September/October.

We can all agree the UK handled the pandemic badly but its hard to argue that they didn't ace the vaccine plan.

Boris is laying out the exit plan on 22 February. But bits are being leaked already, like the travel plans discussed here, and pubs to open in April (without any food rules). The mood music is very much to gear up for a late spring of a substantially lower level of restrictions. If that is the case, I will for sure to returning to London, after my Valencia stay, and not to Ireland. The atmosphere and expectation here is such that I am increasingly thinking I won’t return to Ireland until this is over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

gozunda wrote: »
    These are a limited number of designated Travel Restrictions exemptions allowed. Getting caught 'going home' ain't one of them.

See:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

Sorry to disappoint you holiday begrudgers but you can't be fined €500 on your way to your house, which you may have noticed is not a port or airport.

“Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to
    travel from place of residence to port or airport
    "

https://assets.gov.ie/121419/b269f1ec-6f97-47d8-aeb0-769429d4a4ff.pdf

I am increasingly thinking I won’t return to Ireland until this is over

Careful now, thats what Una said and apparently that makes her responsible for deaths, and autism!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sorry to disappoint you holiday begrudgers but you can't be fined €500 on your way to your house, which you may have noticed is not a port or airport.

"

You need to read the link* I included. There are exceptions for essential travel. Getting caught 'going home' from anywhere ain't one of them.

Jeez the UK must be the biggest 'holiday begrudgers' of them all having made any non essential travel abroad illegal

*https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

You need to read the link I included. There are exceptions for essential travel. Getting caught 'going home' from anywhere ain't one of them.

Jeez the UK must be the biggest 'holiday begrudgers' of them all having made any non essential travel abroad illegal

Moving home, if essential, is allowable in the statute, and has been ever since the first lockdown in March 2020. This includes from overseas.

Obviously you cant just say "I'm going home" as a get-out-of-jail-free card if caught driving home from the beach. But arriving in Ireland on a one-way ticket having moved out of your overseas home and having to move back into your Irish home IS allowed under the statute.

I know people who are packing up their UK home, having lost their job, and are moving back to Ireland - some driving, and the rest of the family flying. They'll not be stopped and charged €500, or indeed €100

As for the UK making it ILLEGAL - its not worth the paper it is written on if it is not enforced, and there are plenty still travelling

How is a Guard supposed to tell the difference. Unless its obvious that you are coming back from a day trip to the beach in another county, or your travelling from the airport in a taxi with skis sticking out the window, the 'returning home' argument is 100% defensible in law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That's just on the way there. Anyone returning is also likley to be slapped with another 500 euro fine. :pac: so 1000 euro on to your €17.99 Ryanair flight to Composto dela Sangria or wherever

This was discussed on the radio earlier in the week.

Looks like new regulations on turning drivers back st the border are also being brought in.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gardai-will-turn-back-drivers-5km-over-the-border-lxvkqd59n

How can you be hit with a fine for travelling to your home, that is the very essence of essential. That type of fine I would happily take to court.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How can you be hit with a fine for travelling to your home, that is the very essence of essential. That type of fine I would happily take to court.

I might be mistaken but i thought I read somewhere that travellers were warned they could be fined incoming and outbound

Moving home, if essential, is allowable in the statute, and has been ever since the first lockdown in March 2020. This includes from overseas.Obviously you cant just say "I'm going home" as a get-out-of-jail-free card if caught driving home from the beach. But arriving in Ireland on a one-way ticket having moved out of your overseas home and having to move back into your Irish home IS allowed under the statute.I know people who are packing up their UK home, having lost their job, and are moving back to Ireland - some driving, and the rest of the family flying. They'll not be stopped and charged €500, or indeed €100
    As for the UK making it ILLEGAL - its not worth the paper it is written on if it is not enforced, and there are plenty still travelling.How is a Guard supposed to tell the difference. Unless its obvious that you are coming back from a day trip to the beach in another county, or your travelling from the airport in a taxi with skis sticking out the window, the 'returning home' argument is 100% defensible in law

Nope. Not about "moving home" rather Mary and mick arriving back from their holliers. And if they got a fine on the way out - its going to be on Pulse.

Again see link for exemption to restrictions on travel within the country. And yeah the reference was coming back from the airport after returning from being abroad on holidays.

You need to read the link* I included. There are exceptions for essential travel. Getting caught 'going home' from anywhere ain't one of them.

*https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

Your link needless to say has nothing to do with the €500 airport fine.
    Stop now will you, this is getting embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

I would assume if you were returning from a holiday they could fine you but only if you had left while the restriction was in place. If someone had left when there was no such restriction and are returning now they should not be fined.

But if you hold a dual citizenship, you can say you are going home on your way out and also say the same when coming back. Don`t think they can do much about this one..

• Advertisement

Nope. Not about "moving home" rather Mary and mick arriving back from their holliers. And if they got a fine on the way out - its going to be on Pulse.

Again see link for exemption to restrictions on travel within the country. And yeah the reference was coming back from the airport after returning from being abroad on holidays.

Sure, if you’re on Pulse and you’re caught a week later it’s obviously the same trip. But the fact remains that it’s much more difficult for the Gardai to determine that travel is non essential when you’re on your way home rather than on your way to the airport, as moving home is allowed as an essential reason in the statute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    While I agree the Garda presence is very scarce almost absent around the higher crime rate areas in Dublin(and Ireland).... If you wanted to see martial law then you should have seen the Policia Municipal in Malaga late last year sweeping the streets after nighttime curfew(glorified security guards) :D

They do that every summer looking for badly behaved foreigners. Except outside the nightclubs.

The logic is that you are away from your usual place of residence for a purpose other than an *essential designated reason. By your logic those who don't get caught going off on any type of daytrip - would be grand for the return journey. May I suggest employing the services of a good solicitor before risking a court case?

And by *designated essential reason it refers to here.

Can't believe people are still confused over this tbh.

dan786 wrote: »
    I would assume if you were returning from a holiday they could fine you but only if you had left while the restriction was in place. If someone had left when there was no such restriction and are returning now they should not be fined.

But if you hold a dual citizenship, you can say you are going home on your way out and also say the same when coming back. Don`t think they can do much about this one..

I think that’s right. I’d travel out on the UK passport and in (if I do come back in this year) on the Irish passport

Your link needless to say has nothing to do with the €500 airport fine.
    Stop now will you, this is getting embarrassing.

Aha I see you're still mixed up. No bother. I believe this was posted earlier.
    Holidaymakers returning from overseas could face fines of up to €500 as they leave airports. Gardai at checkpoints outside ports and airports can levy on-the-spot fines on arriving or departing passengers if they cannot establish an *essential reason for their travel.

*Essential detailed here:

Plus, as has been discussed, moving home. I am sure that there are some who are chancing their arm at a few days in the sun, but most of those on this thread are talking heading off on a one way ticket with no immediate plans to return while this is ongoing.

I find it amazing how people don’t just mind their own business here and are desperate to try to shoot down others’ plans. On a travel related thread

I’m not engaging with any of this nonsense any more, but am genuinely interested in hearing from people who have related to Spain (plus UK, Italy or anywhere else) for a few months, and share experiences, as I am about to do.

Which is what this thread was all about before it was hijacked

Aha I see you're still mixed up. No bother. I believe this was posted earlier.

*Essential detailed here:

And yet again, that is not related to the very specific special €500 fine for travelling TO an airport or port. At most you could conceivably be fined €100 if you getting home was deemed non essential and outside 5km.

Yet again I'll post a link to the actual statute.

"

I put the relevant words in bold there for you, so you can't miss it.

Let me know if this sinks in yet or if I should get some crayons to start drawing illustrations.

Once again for clarification, you cannot get the special €500 fine for travelling TO an airport or port, when you are travelling HOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

You cant be fined twice for the same offence, so if your fined on the way out of the country that fine still stands as your coming back, its a bit like a conviction, you cant be sent to prison twice for the one crime

And yet again, that is not related to the very specific special €500 fine for travelling TO an airport or port. At most you could conceivably be fined €100 if you getting home was deemed non essential and outside 5km.Yet again I'll post a link to the actual statute.“Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to
    "I put the relevant words in bold there for you, so you can't miss it.
    Let me know if this sinks in yet or if I should get some crayons to start drawing illustrations.
    Once again for clarification, you cannot get the special €500 fine for travelling TO an airport or port, when you are travelling HOME.

Chxst you really have yourself tied in knots on that one. Where did my comment to which you replied refer to any waffling about €500. (And btw there is no reference to €500 in the statute you linked but it does detail what essential travel. Is)

You posted on (my comment)* following on from this question. Hence my comment defining what that is.
    If stopped at a checkpoint, you are going home. That’s essential I would think?

The issue being discussed was what was *designated essential travel

Better keep those crayons - ye may need them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Am I reading this right? Home quarantine doesn’t permit you to leave your house to go grocery shopping? Or solo exercise?

Best of luck with that.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#quarantine-requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

faceman wrote: »
    Am I reading this right? Home quarantine doesn’t permit you to leave your house to go grocery shopping? Or solo exercise?

Best of luck with that.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#quarantine-requirements

Found this funny: You may only leave your place of residence during the quarantine period for unavoidable reasons of an emergency nature to protect a person’s health or welfare, or to leave the State.

So you can break quarantine to leave the state but you'll be fined €500 for leaving the sate.

The law is an ass.

Chxst you really have yourself tied in knots on that one. Where did my comment to which you replied refer to any waffling about €500. (And btw there is no reference to €500 in the statute you linked.)

You posted this question.

The issue being discussed was what was *designated essential travel

Better keep those crayons - ye may need them.

I never posted that at all, youre confused in general and have confused me with another poster.

Here is you stating that people holidaying will get fined €500 both ways, just a couple of pages back.
    That's just on the way there. Anyone returning is also likley to be slapped with another 500 euro fine. :pac: so 1000 euro on to your €17.99 Ryanair flight to Composto dela Sangria or wherever

This is what I replied to. And again as I've pointed out 3 times now, is completely wrong and false. You keep posting a link to general 5km restrictions which isn't the relevant statute in relation to the travel fine. You've been corrected and shown the actual statute.

You were wrong. It's ok, we can leave it there.

I never posted that at all, youre confused in general and have confused me with another poster. Here is you stating that people holidaying will get fined €500 both ways, just a couple of pages back.
    This is what I replied to. And again as I've pointed out 3 times now, is completely wrong and false. You keep posting a link to general 5km restrictions which isn't the relevant statute in relation to the travel fine. You've been corrected and shown the actual statute. You were wrong. It's ok, we can leave it there.

Nope. You're Still apparently confused.

This was your comment in reply to mine. Pls note I make no reference to any €500

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116185934&postcount=9045

gozunda wrote:
    These are a limited number of designated Travel Restrictions exemptions allowed. Getting caught 'going home' ain't one of them.
    See:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2d...l-restrictions
    "

The comment you detailed above was a completely different discussion.

So as said you were wrong. Fair enough. Anyway glad that's sorted.

Nope. You're Still apparently confused.

This was your comment in reply to mine .

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116185934&postcount=9045

The comment you detailed just now was a completely different discussion. So as you said you were wrong. Fair enough. Anyway glad that's sotted.

I'm embarrassed for you. Can we just admit that your delight at the dream of a traveller getting slapped with a €1000 fine has been burst?

I know you're deflated but you can move on, you've months more restrictions to thrive on. Those curtains won't twitch themselves.

I'm embarrassed for you. Can we just admit that your delight at the dream of a traveller getting slapped with a €1000 fine has been burst?
    I know you're deflated but you can move on, you've months more restrictions to thrive on. Those curtains won't twitch themselves.

Lol. That's the kind of thing only primary school kids say. No matter. Well I'm glad you now know which comment you actually replied to.

Ps. Btw not my 'delight', nor thriving "on restrictions' nor 'curtain twitching'. Thats simply what's been reported in the media. Don't like it? Maybe send in a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m running out of popcorn. Is it essential travel if i go out and pick some more up? :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

By the time late June/early July comes around the government would have to put in some fairly draconian laws to stop people travelling outside the island.

Sure if we are down to level 2 by then people will go via Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

If people paid extra money to transfer flights to this summer from last and the government attempt to fine you enroute to the airport to get the plane...what are our rights in this situation?

1. If other EU countries and UK citizens in our CTA area are free to travel to said destinations.
    2. Limited cases and empty hospitals across Europe
    3. No travel limits within Ireland

Surely it cannot be acceptable for the citizens of this country to foot the bill for a product they are now being denied through no fault of their own, miss the holiday, and the Government allow the plane to fly empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

miss the holiday, and the Government allow the plane to fly empty?

Answered your own question right there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭blackvalley

If travel within the country opens up over the Summer can we assume there will be fabulous value in stay at home holidays .
    After all up to 9 million tourists visited Ireland in 2019 while about 4.4 million trips were made abroad for holidays by Irish tourists . ( obviously some people were lucky to travel several times )
    Even if all those that formerly travelled abroad decide to holiday at home it will still leave a massive overflow of holiday accommodation here.
    So when will the fire sale start , cant wait for those £9.99 hotel rooms .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement