Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

gozunda wrote: »
    These are a limited number of designated Travel Restrictions exemptions allowed. Getting caught 'going home' ain't one of them.

See:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

There's hundreds more allowances than that

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

If travel within the country opens up over the Summer can we assume there will be fabulous value in stay at home holidays .
    After all up to 9 million tourists visited Ireland in 2019 while about 4.4 million trips were made abroad for holidays by Irish tourists . ( obviously some people were lucky to travel several times )
    Even if all those that formerly travelled abroad decide to holiday at home it will still leave a massive overflow of holiday accommodation here.
    So when will the fire sale start , cant wait for those £9.99 hotel rooms .

haha. I'll be looking to book a few weekends away west for May but expecting hotels to be 100s a night so will probably go for an Airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dublin49

If travel within the country opens up over the Summer can we assume there will be fabulous value in stay at home holidays .
    After all up to 9 million tourists visited Ireland in 2019 while about 4.4 million trips were made abroad for holidays by Irish tourists . ( obviously some people were lucky to travel several times )
    Even if all those that formerly travelled abroad decide to holiday at home it will still leave a massive overflow of holiday accommodation here.

I think it will the opposite,all demand congested around a short period with little availability driving prices upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 19,623 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Found this funny: You may only leave your place of residence during the quarantine period for unavoidable reasons of an emergency nature to protect a person’s health or welfare, or to leave the State.

So you can break quarantine to leave the state but you'll be fined €500 for leaving the sate.

The law is an ass.

You might have found it funny alright. That's probably due to you not understanding it. If you read that page it is for people travelling to Ireland, including passengers transiting through Dublin airport.

Nobody is fined 500 Euro for leaving the state. There are fines of up to 500 for people who break covid restrictions.
    You can of course go to the airport and fly away. It is not illegal to do so once you have a valid reason for it.

If someone has a long layover in Dublin airport and gets a hotel for the night, they can of course continue their travel as planned the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You cant be fined twice for the same offence, so if your fined on the way out of the country that fine still stands as your coming back, its a bit like a conviction, you cant be sent to prison twice for the one crime

You can if you commit an offence more than once. If you rob the bank twice and are found guilty - for sure you won't be given a pass on the either robbery just because you did it the same bank twice :D

More likely each journey would be considered separately - especially if there's a week or two between them.

Any gardai here who could clarify that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If ever anyone needed proof that they employe shills to post on boards.ie and The Journal this is it. They didn’t even get the currency right.

You cant be fined twice for the same offence, so if your fined on the way out of the country that fine still stands as your coming back, its a bit like a conviction, you cant be sent to prison twice for the one crime

Except you can when you assault the same person on the way out of the country and on the way back a week later.

Nope. Not about "moving home" rather Mary and mick arriving back from their holliers. And if they got a fine on the way out - its going to be on Pulse.

Again see link for exemption to restrictions on travel within the country. And yeah the reference was coming back from the airport after returning from being abroad on holidays.
    The logic is that you are away from your usual place of residence for a purpose other than an *essential designated reason. By your logic those who don't get caught going off on any type of daytrip - would be grand for the return journey. May I suggest employing the services of a good solicitor before risking a court case?

And by *designated essential reason it refers to here.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

Can't believe people are still confused over this tbh.

Travel home to your residence is allowed. You keep linking to a sample list, it's far from definitive.

If the instruction is not too leave your home then fining people for going to their homes would be counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭blackvalley

faceman wrote: »
    If ever anyone needed proof that they employe shills to post on boards.ie and The Journal this is it. They didn’t even get the currency right.

What are you on about ? . Didnt think that duties of a mod included hurling insults ( which I believe the term shill is ) at contributors . Even on a Saturday night.
    I have contributed to numerous topics over the years and have always attempted to be positive.
    As to the topic in hand its about supply and demand or perhaps you dont understand that concept .
    When I read comments on other forums where people are ridiculed , bullied and harassed without protection from mods I find your comments in this instance to be astonishing.
    AND by the way the reason that I used the £ sign was that as what you probably consider an OLDIE I cannot see Euro sign on my keyboard.
    Goodnight.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Is there a list of essential reasons to travel abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

It's not the same offence. It's a week later!

That's like saying one parking ticket and boom, park wherever you want
    What are you on about, I see where you enforce the new regulations so presumably you're a member of the Gardai. After reading back on both Gazundas and your posts which have been completely debunked, will you let us know on what grounds can you be fined for either the first or second time( if caught on the way out) for returning from abroad to travel home to your residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If people paid extra money to transfer flights to this summer from last and the government attempt to fine you enroute to the airport to get the plane...what are our rights in this situation?

1. If other EU countries and UK citizens in our CTA area are free to travel to said destinations.
    2. Limited cases and empty hospitals across Europe
    3. No travel limits within Ireland

Surely it cannot be acceptable for the citizens of this country to foot the bill for a product they are now being denied through no fault of their own, miss the holiday, and the Government allow the plane to fly empty?

Whatever about the merits of the rest of your post, I don't think there's "limited cases and empty hospitals" anywhere in Europe

:p
    Except you can when you assault the same person on the way out of the country and on the way back a week later.

Nonsense two completely different scenarios.

lukas8888 wrote: »
    What are you on about, I see where you enforce the new regulations so presumably you're a member of the Gardai. After reading back on both Gazundas and your posts which have been completely debunked, will you let us know on what grounds can you be fined for either the first or second time( if caught on the way out) for returning from abroad to travel home to your residence.

You are not allowed to leave your place of residence without a reasonable excuse.
    One excuse to leave your residence is for exercise. You can leave for this purpose but this specific purpose is restricted to 5km. Therefore, for practical reasons, if a person is out of their house, but within the 5km radius, they can lie and say they are going for exercise and not receive a fine.

Once you are more than 5km away from your house, you do not have that opportunity to give that same plausible lie. You must have an actual reason.

Going on your holidays is not an accepted reason. Therefore if you head to the airport wearing your sombrero and with an inflatable pool ring under your arm, there is a chance that you will receive a fine. Which you can of course appeal (at least to the court).

If on your way back, you are stopped by a Guard, and the Guard forms the opinion that you are away from your house without reason, then then can issue you another fine. You can of course also appeal this one. If you tell the Guard that he can't fine you because you already got fined two weeks earlier, he is still likely to issue you that fine.

The fine is for leaving your house without a reasonable excuse. If you get caught both times then maybe you can try to appeal the second one based on some "I was already fined" excuse. If this happens to you, please come back and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

You are not allowed to leave your place of residence without a reasonable excuse.
    One excuse to leave your residence is for exercise. You can leave for this purpose but this specific purpose is restricted to 5km. Therefore, for practical reasons, if a person is out of their house, but within the 5km radius, they can lie and say they are going for exercise and not receive a fine.

Once you are more than 5km away from your house, you do not have that opportunity to give that same plausible lie. You must have an actual reason.

Going on your holidays is not an accepted reason. Therefore if you head to the airport wearing your sombrero and with an inflatable pool ring under your arm, there is a chance that you will receive a fine. Which you can of course appeal (at least to the court).

If on your way back, you are stopped by a Guard, and the Guard forms the opinion that you are away from your house without reason, then then can issue you another fine. You can of course also appeal this one. If you tell the Guard that he can't fine you because you already got fined two weeks earlier, he is still likely to issue you that fine.

The fine is for leaving your house without a reasonable excuse. If you get caught both times then maybe you can try to appeal the second one based on some "I was already fined" excuse. If this happens to you, please come back and let us know how you get on.

It's mad that people can't grasp this concept.

GazzaL wrote: »

Not definitive.

Travel home to your residence is allowed. You keep linking to a sample list, it's far from definitive.

If the instruction is not too leave your home then fining people for going to their homes would be counter productive.

So if I travel to Dublin Airport from Cork and take a break in Kildare and get pulled and asked where I'm going - the opt-out is that I just tell them I'm on my way home?

Fair enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

What if you wear a sombrero while travelling abroad for business? Are they the fashion police now?

What if you wear a sombrero while travelling abroad for business? Are they the fashion police now?

You can do that if you like. Depends on whatever business you are in I suppose.

Very good if somewhat longwinded example of the regulations,but how could a Guard know how long you have been away for if your arriving back in the state on a one way ticket, or if you left before the new 100 or 500 fines were introduced..And to the best of my knowledge the act states travelling to the airport or port not from it to your home.

• Advertisement

General gist: Travel abroad. You must only travel abroad if you have a reasonable excuse to do so.

"Reasonable excuse" - detailed here:

https://assets.gov.ie/121419/b269f1ec-6f97-47d8-aeb0-769429d4a4ff.pdf
    4A. (1) Without prejudice to the generality of Regulation 4, and
    subject to paragraph (2),

an applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence to go to an airport or port for the purpose of leaving
    the State without reasonable excuse.

Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable
    excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of
    residence to go to an airport or port for the purpose of leaving the State
    in order to

(a) work, comply with a contract of employment or
    contract for services, or otherwise engage in
    work or employment,

(b) without prejudice to the generality of
    subparagraph (a) -
    (i) provide services to, or perform the
    functions of, an office holder appointed
    under any enactment or under the
    Constitution, or a member of either
    House of the Oireachtas, the European
    Parliament or a local authority, or
    (ii) provide services essential to the
    functioning of diplomatic missions and
    consular posts in the State,

(c) attend, for educational reasons -
    (i) a primary or secondary school, or
    (ii) a university, higher education institution
    or other education and training facility,
    to the extent that it is necessary for such
    educational reasons to attend in person,

(d) accompany to a school referred to in
    subparagraph (c)(i), or to a university, higher
    education institution or other education and
    training facility referred to in subparagraph
    (c)(ii), any other person residing with the person,
    or a vulnerable person,

(e) attend a medical or dental appointment, or
    accompany, to such an appointment, any other
    person residing with the person, or a vulnerable
    person,

(f) seek essential medical, health or dental assistance
    for the person, for any other person residing with
    the person, or for a vulnerable person,

(g) attend to vital family matters (including
    providing care to vulnerable persfulfil a legal obligation (including attending
    court, satisfying bail conditions, or participating
    in ongoing legal proceedings), attend a court
    office where required, initiate emergency legal
    proceedings or execute essential legal
    documents,

(h) attend a funeral,

(j) if the person is a parent or guardian of a child, or
    a person having a right of access to a child, give
    effect to arrangements for access to the child by -
    (i) the person, or
    (ii) another person who is -
    (I) a parent or guardian of the child,
    or
    (II) a person having a right of access
    to the child, or

(k) where the person is not ordinarily resident in the
    State, leave the State.

Very good if somewhat longwinded example of the regulations,but how could a Guard know how long you have been away for if your arriving back in the state on a one way ticket, or if you left before the new 100 or 500 fines were introduced..And to the best of my knowledge the act states travelling to the airport or port not from it to your home.

It doesn't matter where you are, or where you are coming from on your way home.
    The restrictions state you must stay at home except for essential reasons, so if you are on your way home from hols, then you get a regular fine, the same as you would any other day.
    Ya see?

bubblypop wrote: »
    It doesn't matter where you are, or where you are coming from on your way home.
    The restrictions state you must stay at home except for essential reasons, so if you are on your way home from hols, then you get a regular fine, the same as you would any other day.
    Ya see?
    Sorry but the above is irrelevant to my post.

There is a special level of 500 for breaking the rule to go to a port or airport. There is a "regular" fine of 100 (although I think it can be higher) for general cases.

If the Guard knows stops you, if they are not satisfied with your explanation then they can give you the fine. It will be up to you to appeal it.

If you are on your way back from your holidays, after getting out without being stopped, and you are stopped on the way back then I suppose it would be up to you to decide whether you are going to suck up the 100 fine or else admit you are on your way back from holidays and risk a 500 fine for admitting that you went on holidays - in the hope that that will somehow save you from the 100 fine.

It is perfectly relevant. The Guard does not have to know that you are on your way back from a holiday in order to give you a fine. They can fine you for being away from your house without a reasonable excuse. You can always try telling him you went 80km for a burger and see if that works as an excuse. Some other genii thought that would work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Whatever about the merits of the rest of your post, I don't think there's "limited cases and empty hospitals" anywhere in Europe

You do realise I was talking about June, July & August? At least 400,000 holidays were moved to Summer 2021. Not to mention the airline flights which costed an average family €500 extra to move on top of original booking cost. Should all these families have to lose their money because of a vilification campaign? Instead of actually doing it properly and refunding people or setting up proper travel corridors.

You do realise I was talking about June, July & August? At least 400,000 holidays were moved to Summer 2021. Not to mention the airline flights which costed an average family €500 extra to move on top of original booking cost. Should all these families have to lose their money because of a vilification campaign? Instead of actually doing it properly and refunding people or setting up proper travel corridors.

Were the airlines not offering at least free changes to flights?

Even Ryanair was (claiming to be) offering refunds for those flights.

How?

General gist: Travel abroad. You must only travel abroad if you have a reasonable excuse to do so.

"Reasonable excuse" - detailed here:

I think you mean reasonable reason. Not excuse.

• Advertisement

I think you mean reasonable reason. Not excuse.

No. Its the wording as given in the legislation viz,.
    an applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence to go to an airport or port for the purpose of leaving
    the State without reasonable excuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement