Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Were the airlines not offering at least free changes to flights?

Even Ryanair was (claiming to be) offering refunds for those flights.

No they didn’t cancel all flights at all, especially from mid July onwards. Only from certain airports and changed timetables. If you booked your flights originally before Covid, you were stuck last summer if the plane was going. Or pay the extortionate fee to change it. Now it looks like the media & Government are gearing up for a similar ‘lose your money’ for the good of the country campaign. Absolutely not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

It is perfectly relevant. The Guard does not have to know that you are on your way back from a holiday in order to give you a fine. They can fine you for being away from your house without a reasonable excuse. You can always try telling him you went 80km for a burger and see if that works as an excuse. Some other genii thought that would work for them.
    We can go round and round all night on this topic, but I would still like to know on what basis a guard can fine you if you are returning home from the airport after being away before the new regulations were enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Just out of sheer curiosity and nosiness, I know someone flying home from Tenerife next week after spending 3 weeks there. They are taking the bus from Dublin to Cork. What I want to know is, will someone actually be checking up on this person to see if they are self isolating at home? This person is a bit of a gob****e and I'm concerned that they won't actually isolate.

I'm assuming said person has a negative pcr test done to enter Ireland again. What is the protocol at the moment? Is there any?

lukas8888 wrote: »
    We can go round and round all night on this topic, but I would still like to know on what basis a guard can fine you if you are returning home from the airport after being away before the new regulations were enacted.

They can fine you on the same basis that they could fine you before!!
    ' You must stay at home unless you have a reasonable excuse, essential reason to leave it'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

They cannot give you the €500 travel fine on the way home. End of story.

A lot here confusing this with the standard €100 fine, which debatably they could give you for non essential movement although still unlikely by any reasonable Garda using their discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

We normally up sticks for July and August and go to my mother in laws abroad.
    We didn't go last year because of both the risk of bringing Covid with us and the logistical difficulty of getting there with border restrictions.
    Skipping this year isn't really an option.
    She now needs constant looking after, which my wife's sister has been doing since the start of Covid, but she's in need of a few months off at this stage.
    My mother in law has been vaccinated so there's minimal risk to her from us.
    We expect that we'll need to PCR before we travel for borders, which is fine with us.
    I believe that our travel in July is essential, but how would we prove that to a guard at a checkpoint?

josip wrote: »
    We didn't go last year because of both the risk of bringing Covid with us and the logistical difficulty of getting there with border restrictions.
    She now needs constant looking after, which my wife's sister has been doing since the start of Covid, but she's in need of a few months off at this stage.
    We expect that we'll need to PCR before we travel for borders, which is fine with us.
    I believe that our travel in July is essential, but how would we prove that to a guard at a checkpoint?

I'm sure that you won't need to by then!

A lot here confusing this with the standard €100 fine, which debatably they could give you for non essential movement although still unlikely by any reasonable Garda using their discretion.

I don't see anyone getting mixed up?
    The fine is the same fine it always was.
    I would imagine a reasonable guard may not be reasonable for long if the driver is being a smart arse

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

rorrissey wrote: »
    Just out of sheer curiosity and nosiness, I know someone flying home from Tenerife next week after spending 3 weeks there. They are taking the bus from Dublin to Cork. What I want to know is, will someone actually be checking up on this person to see if they are self isolating at home? This person is a bit of a gob****e and I'm concerned that they won't actually isolate.

I'm assuming said person has a negative pcr test done to enter Ireland again. What is the protocol at the moment? Is there any?
    All outlined
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#what-you-have-to-do-before-you-arrive-into-ireland-from-abroad
    Must have a negative PCR before they enter ireland.
    Quarantine for 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

josip wrote: »

Your reason is on "the list" :

(g) attend to vital family matters (including
    providing care to vulnerable persons),

Just tell them. Enjoy the holiday.

• Advertisement

I’d pay €100 to make this thread stop

gmisk wrote: »

You don’t have to quarantine for 14 days any more. You can get a test-to-release after 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The comment section is rather interesting :pac:

Leo is not sounding one single bit positive about summer travel. I'm starting to doubt if the restrictions will be lifted at all.

He says "International travel will be more much difficult than last summer"

You don’t have to quarantine for 14 days any more. You can get a test-to-release after 5 days.
    True unless coming in from Brazil or south africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Yes that's my interpretation of the new act, and as regards the 100 fine for returning home from abroad I don't think that's applicable either.
    Restrictions with 100 euro fines were introduced in October 2020 S1 448/2020. Section 2 exemption Q states returning to your place of residence so I don't see how you could possibly be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes that's my interpretation of the new act, and as regards the 100 fine for returning home from abroad I don't think that's applicable either.
    Restrictions with 100 euro fines were introduced in October 2020 S1 448/2020. Section 2 exemption Q states returning to your place of residence so I don't see how you could possibly be fined.

In relation to the €100 fines. This from the Irish Times.
    Over 370 people have been fined on their way to or from Dublin Airport for foreign holidays or other non-essential trips abroad in the past week, 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/over-370-people-fined-going-to-or-from-dublin-airport-for-trips-abroad-in-a-week-1.4477372

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

This thread is hilarious.....but it shows you just exactly how insane this entire thing is. No one knows the rules, they keep changing, making it up as they go along and none of it makes any sense and hasn't done since last March when Leo came on the telly and did his 'put on the green Jersey' speech and handed over the reigns of power to Saint Tony of Holohan.

In the late 1950's when the world had a much smaller population there was an outbreak of a contagious respiratory virus (Asian Flu) which killed a couple of million people. In the late 1960's we had the Hong Kong flu which killed another million plus. Was speaking to both of my parents recently who lived through both of these cataclysmic events and asked them did they remember anything about them and they said they can't remember anything at all about either and looked totally blank when I was telling them about both global pandemics in the 1950's and 60's. World didn't blink back then and yet when something similar happens in 2020 we go batsh*t crazy. It is called progress I believe.......

We are living in a lunatic asylum and the lunatics are running it.

Good luck to everyone and hope you all make it out the other side.........

It's really not that difficult to know the rules.
    Just read them, they are widely available, if you don't know them, that's on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Will anyone that got the fine,pay it?
    My dad is in his late 70's.
    He asked me to book a month away in march,to Lanzaorte for him.
    Told him about the fine.He started laughing.(No way will i pay that.
    I have paid 66 years of taxes to this government,how dare they tell me,to not leave this ****hole,life is too short,Feck covid,i mite die from old age soon anyway,etc etc.)
    He said he wont pay any fine,or even go to court if he gets a summons.
    Watch this space,we mite have the first o.a.p jailed,for going on a holiday in a few months.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

RobitTV wrote: »
    The comment section is rather interesting :pac:

Leo is not sounding one single bit positive about summer travel. I'm starting to doubt if the restrictions will be lifted at all.

He says "International travel will be more much difficult than last summer"

I saw this during the week. The Government need put their money where their mouth is - make the airlines refund customers and do it properly. No online bullying and vilification campaign, no callers to Joe Duffy. Either cancel the summer travel season properly and give tax payers their money back or set up proper travel corridors.
    The bailout Ryanair will need will be huge but that’s a consequence of writing off the summer in January, which I think is madness. C’est la vie at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,270 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious.....but it shows you just exactly how insane this entire thing is. No one knows the rules, they keep changing, making it up as they go along and none of it makes any sense and hasn't done since last March when Leo came on the telly and did his 'put on the green Jersey' speech and handed over the reigns of power to Saint Tony of Holohan.

In the late 1950's when the world had a much smaller population there was an outbreak of a contagious respiratory virus (Asian Flu) which killed a couple of million people. In the late 1960's we had the Hong Kong flu which killed another million plus. Was speaking to both of my parents recently who lived through both of these cataclysmic events and asked them did they remember anything about them and they said they can't remember anything at all about either and looked totally blank when I was telling them about both global pandemics in the 1950's and 60's. World didn't blink back then and yet when something similar happens in 2020 we go batsh*t crazy. It is called progress I believe.......

We are living in a lunatic asylum and the lunatics are running it.

Good luck to everyone and hope you all make it out the other side.........

Well in the 50s we didn't have people who would just "die" if they didn't get at least two holidays a year, their kids jetting off to Italian ski slopes or Brazilians coming here to deliver food on push bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kerrylad1 wrote:
    Will anyone that got the fine,pay it? My dad is in his late 70's. He asked me to book a month away in march,to Lanzaorte for him. Told him about the fine.He started laughing.(No way will i pay that. I have paid 66 years of taxes to this government,how dare they tell me,to not leave this ****hole,life is too short,Feck covid,i mite die from old age soon anyway,etc etc.) He said he wont pay any fine,or even go to court if he gets a summons. Watch this space,we mite have the first o.a.p jailed,for going on a holiday in a few months.😂

Oh I like this fella, a lot of fight still left in him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

rorrissey wrote: »

The Gardai will be doing house calls to check according to government sources

Here’s the gas bit

Tenerife has lower covid rates than Ireland
    Your neighbour will get a test to say they are negative returning home
    They are legally required to quarantine with Garda checks

Their neighbour in the meantime who wasn’t outside of Ireland could test covid positive. Their family are now close contacts.
    They are asked to self isolate
    There will be no checks by the gardai
    Close contacts can come and go as they please without any risk of penalty

Last week approx 10 covid cases were attributed to travel
    Non travel cases amounted to approx 9,000 with close contacts of approx 30,000 people

Irish solution to an Irish problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

faceman wrote: »

Here’s the gas bit

Their neighbour in the meantime who wasn’t outside of Ireland could test covid positive. Their family are now close contacts.

Non travel cases amounted to approx 9,000 with close contacts of approx 30,000 people

Completely agree with you. I am waiting for the response that all cases are ultimately down to travel....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

faceman wrote: »

Here’s the gas bit

Ah yea, mandatory quarantine is being used as a political weapon. Look at the politicians supporting it and it tells you all you need to know.
    Can anyone tell me how to manage all the essential workers that travel in and out of Ireland daily who can’t be quarantined?
    I’m all for better management of travellers but haven’t seen a plan. The ISAG loons are living in fantasy land.

This thread is just the same as main thread now. Going to unfollow....the sharing of travel stories was good while it lasted until it was hijacked by the curtain twitchers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This thread is just the same as main thread now. Going to unfollow....the sharing of travel stories was good while it lasted until it was hijacked by the curtain twitchers

Yes it may have gotten too factual and realistic for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I know people who have travelled to places like the Canaries and Portugal to "work from home". Whenever they decide to return, they will have no problem isolating and continuing to work.

However, for those who don't have the luxury of being able to work from home, if they travel abroad on essential business, take PCR tests before and after flying back, they'll be under house arrest and forced out of work. Unless of course they just decide to ignore the restrictions and eat whatever fine comes their way.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Will anyone that got the fine,pay it?
    My dad is in his late 70's.
    He asked me to book a month away in march,to Lanzaorte for him.
    Told him about the fine.He started laughing.(No way will i pay that.
    I have paid 66 years of taxes to this government,how dare they tell me,to not leave this ****hole,life is too short,Feck covid,i mite die from old age soon anyway,etc etc.)
    He said he wont pay any fine,or even go to court if he gets a summons.
    Watch this space,we mite have the first o.a.p jailed,for going on a holiday in a few months.😂
    Hope.he enjoys his day out in court.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/court-date-sommonses-for-covid-19-fines-non-payment-5346627-Feb2021/

Late 70s during a pandemic heading away on a holiday...what could possibly go wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

From an article in the Indo today with an interview with the DAA CEO:

“...in T2 here in Dublin, they're [gardai] setting up a dedicated, I think what they call a comfort area, so that the police can be there for a long extent."

Once these things start, it takes a long time for them to stop

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/aer-lingus-secures-150m-from-states-covid-recovery-fund-40055749.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IN:Daily&hConversionEventId=AQEAAZQF2gAmdjQwMDAwMDE3Ny03Yjg5LTdiODctYWM1Ny1lYzE2M2VkMGFiODHaACRiYTVkMTY3NC1iMzgyLTQ2MTUtMDAwMC0wMjFlZjNhMGJjYzjaACQxZGE5Y2MzYi04ZGM0LTRiNmYtODY2Mi1kMzZiMGViY2UyZWZjqAPjiGIDwpR0_a2hJ9g6Y-SoKsUB-9aV-3x0i3vbiA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement