Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

gmisk wrote: »
    Hope.he enjoys his day out in court.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/court-date-sommonses-for-covid-19-fines-non-payment-5346627-Feb2021/

Late 70s during a pandemic heading away on a holiday...what could possibly go wrong...
    Must show him that.It may change his mind.Not.
    He will not pay a fine,he is 77 and no judge will jail a 77 year old,for going on a holiday.Pandamic or not.Simple as that
    He will enjoy his month in the sun,away from this ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Must show him that.It may change his mind.Not.
    He will not pay a fine,he is 77 and no judge will jail a 77 year old,for going on a holiday.Pandamic or not.Simple as that
    He will enjoy his month in the sun,away from this ****hole.
    I don't give a toss what you do, "pandamic"...lol
    Maybe he should just stay there then if it's such a sh#thole here.
    Just maybe don't come on here whinging if he ends up with coronavirus and stuck in some Spanish hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

faceman wrote: »
    From an article in the Indo today with an interview with the DAA CEO:

“...in T2 here in Dublin, they're [gardai] setting up a dedicated, I think what they call a comfort area, so that the police can be there for a long extent."

Once these things start, it takes a long time for them to stop

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/aer-lingus-secures-150m-from-states-covid-recovery-fund-40055749.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IN:Daily&hConversionEventId=AQEAAZQF2gAmdjQwMDAwMDE3Ny03Yjg5LTdiODctYWM1Ny1lYzE2M2VkMGFiODHaACRiYTVkMTY3NC1iMzgyLTQ2MTUtMDAwMC0wMjFlZjNhMGJjYzjaACQxZGE5Y2MzYi04ZGM0LTRiNmYtODY2Mi1kMzZiMGViY2UyZWZjqAPjiGIDwpR0_a2hJ9g6Y-SoKsUB-9aV-3x0i3vbiA

I expect Ryanair will bring them back to the High Court in May if numbers are down and the restrictions are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I expect Ryanair will bring them back to the High Court in May if numbers are down and the restrictions are still there.

ah theyll be grand, when they eventually get their compensation(bailout)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Just maybe don't come on here whinging if he ends up with coronavirus and stuck in some Spanish hospital.

I think you need a holiday, get some air, sun etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tenerife has lower rates of Covid than Ireland
    And Spanish healthcare is waaaaay better than Irish healthcare anyway

Sweet jesus.Are you for real.
    The only whinging i will be doing,is out of jealousy,that i can not go with him.
    He has more chance of catching covid in the local shop,then over there.

Look I honestly don't really care at this stage.
    I just think it's ironic the same poster is saying the below on another thread.
    "The old,overweight,and those with underlying health conditions,stay at home".
    Unless it's their da?....lol

I have already posted that my parents are in lanzarote long term, they headed in November (they aren't based in ROI so no regs broke) and will be staying long term.

fm wrote: »
    I think you need a holiday, get some air, sun etc.
    I would love to.... I had to delay honeymoon last year, and not looking great for this year.
    But hey I am trying not to travel because it isn't a necessary journey, mad I know.
    My other half is also in healthcare so I know how tough things are.

Unless it's their da....lol

I have already posted that my parents are in lanzarote long term, they headed in November (they aren't based in ROI so no regs broke) and will be staying long term.
    He is old,but far from overweight,no underlying conditions,fit as a fiddle,run/walks 10k every day.
    He is probly fitter than most people my age.
    Jog on.No pun intended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Unless it's their da?....lol

That’s fair :)

From an article in the Indo today with an interview with the DAA CEO:

“...in T2 here in Dublin, they're [gardai] setting up a dedicated, I think what they call a comfort area, so that the police can be there for a long extent."

Once these things start, it takes a long time for them to stop

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/aer-lingus-secures-150m-from-states-covid-recovery-fund-40055749.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IN:Daily&hConversionEventId=AQEAAZQF2gAmdjQwMDAwMDE3Ny03Yjg5LTdiODctYWM1Ny1lYzE2M2VkMGFiODHaACRiYTVkMTY3NC1iMzgyLTQ2MTUtMDAwMC0wMjFlZjNhMGJjYzjaACQxZGE5Y2MzYi04ZGM0LTRiNmYtODY2Mi1kMzZiMGViY2UyZWZjqAPjiGIDwpR0_a2hJ9g6Y-SoKsUB-9aV-3x0i3vbiA

Relax, it's a portacabin with a chemical toilet and a small rest room with a fridge and a kettle. They own a number of them for such events

They will be there until March, that much we already know

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

lukas8888 wrote: »
    We can go round and round all night on this topic, but I would still like to know on what basis a guard can fine you if you are returning home from the airport after being away before the new regulations were enacted.

You will have to clarify what you mean by "new regulations". Because most of the rest of the posts on the matter were talking about whether people can be fined on the return trip, either after getting fined on the way out, or not getting caught on the way out.

The law against leaving your house without reasonable excuse has been in for a while now.

Are you talking about people repatriating here? People who were living abroad for a few years? That was always allowed (with isolation conditions)

If you arrive back after a weekend trip to Paris and tell the Guard that you are moving home after living there for 15 years, that is your choice. You might end up on twitter like the Tenerife systems engineer letter

The paragraph in the law you quote is related to people who are returning home after doing an essential task.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52014023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The article is from March last year.Anything current?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A curious question. If say he postponed his flight until next summer 2022 once all vaccinated would you be ok about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Mr.S wrote: »
    Am I right in saying these are the essential reasons to travel abroad:

(from https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_during_covid.html)
    • To go to college or school if you have to be there in person
    • To go with a child or a vulnerable adult to school if they have to be there in person
    • To work or travel related to your business
    • To go to a medical or dental appointment, or to go to an appointment with someone you live with, or a vulnerable person
    • To seek essential medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment
    • To care for a family member or for other vital family reasons
    • To go to a funeral
    • To meet a legal obligation (for example, to appear in court)
    • To give access to a child to the other parent of the child, or to access a child that you have a right of access to
    • To leave Ireland if you are not resident in Ireland

I'm mostly interested in the bolded point - is there a definition of what "care" or vital reason is defined as?

Ie, a family member lives on her own abroad and doesn't have a support network and is finding it very tough with lack of contact with anyone - would that be deemed as a vital reason to visit?

If anyone could shed some advice, much appreciated.

Do you have to know the person? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Mr.S wrote: »
    Am I right in saying these are the essential reasons to travel abroad:

(from https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_during_covid.html)
    • To go to college or school if you have to be there in person
    • To go with a child or a vulnerable adult to school if they have to be there in person
    • To work or travel related to your business
    • To go to a medical or dental appointment, or to go to an appointment with someone you live with, or a vulnerable person
    • To seek essential medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment
    • To care for a family member or for other vital family reasons
    • To go to a funeral
    • To meet a legal obligation (for example, to appear in court)
    • To give access to a child to the other parent of the child, or to access a child that you have a right of access to
    • To leave Ireland if you are not resident in Ireland

I'm mostly interested in the bolded point - is there a definition of what "care" or vital reason is defined as?

Ie, a family member lives on her own abroad and doesn't have a support network and is finding it very tough with lack of contact with anyone - would that be deemed as a vital reason to visit?

If anyone could shed some advice, much appreciated.

Yesterday I rang to Gardai and they told me it is okey to travel if you care for family member but you need a letter from doctor or hospital to show to Gardai on the way to the Airport.

My father in law is sick back in Italy and we would like to go in april to visit him. Does anyone know if 2 weeks mandatory quarante will be in place? What are the chances will be released in 5th of March? We bought tickets and forgot about new rules ;( and my husband cant leave work for 2 weeks plus 2 weeks at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Yesterday I rang to Gardai and they told me it is okey to travel if you care for family member but you need a letter from doctor or hospital to show to Gardai on the way to the Airport.

My father in law is sick back in Italy and we would like to go in april to visit him. Does anyone know if 2 weeks mandatory quarante will be in place? What are the chances will be released in 5th of March? We bought tickets and forgot about new rules ;( and my husband cant leave work for 2 weeks plus 2 weeks at home.

That is literally unanswerable at this stage. Nobody knows.

If you need to go, go, and deal with the rest at the time.

The article is from March last year.Anything current?

10/11 months ago is current in the context of a large organisation. Particularly in a state which isn't known for it's efficiency and where unions hold a lot of power

Turning it back to yourself, do you have any articles outlining major structural reform that have occurred since last March to render any comparisons between the Spanish Health system then and now irrelevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That is literally unanswerable at this stage. Nobody knows.

If you need to go, go, and deal with the rest at the time.
    I can go as i am on PUP but my husband cant loose the job. Well lets wait till 5th of March and see how the situation is developing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The drama seems to be the airports. The guards at the boat docks aren’t too pushed on your business at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I think faceman was referring to public healthcare, those were all private nursing homes from the article you linked. Faceman is also right, I've been living here for nearly six years and the healthcare is great here. You wait very little to see a consultant or to take a test and in a and e you are seen very quick. It is also universal health care.

10/11 months ago is current in the context of a large organisation. Particularly in a state which isn't known for it's efficiency and where unions hold a lot of power

Turning it back to yourself, do you have any articles outlining major structural reform that have occurred since last March to render any comparisons between the Spanish Health system then and now irrelevant?

Soz but if your only response to a poster is an article from March of last year you lost what ever point you were trying to score tbh.

Cerveza wrote: »
    The drama seems to be the airports. The guards at the boat docks aren’t too pushed on your business at all.

Planeloads of virus is ok to target, can't be targeting seaward travel as it's slightly inconvenient because of trade.

Soz but if your only response to a poster is an article from March of last year you lost what ever point you were trying to score tbh.

Soz, but that is the attempted response of a person with no real response

What do the pro-travel cool kids think of British travellers using Dublin airport to avoid their own restrictions? Happy enough with that as well?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/hundreds-dodge-uk-travel-ban-via-dublin-as-irish-passengers-jet-off-to-holiday-destinations-after-500-fines-40060396.html

Soz, but that is the attempted response of a person with no real response

It's the only response that an article from almost a year ago deserves. If you wish to make a point surely a recent article would be more appropriate.

I think faceman was referring to public healthcare, those were all private nursing homes from the article you linked.

Where is your source for that assertion?

If there were any privately run ones, then they would still be regulated by the Health System. It would be irrelevant

• Advertisement

What do the pro-travel cool kids think of British travellers using Dublin airport to avoid their own restrictions? Happy enough with that as well?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/hundreds-dodge-uk-travel-ban-via-dublin-as-irish-passengers-jet-off-to-holiday-destinations-after-500-fines-40060396.html

Behind a paywall, sometimes the headline is at odds with the body of the article. So can you post the full article as I won't pay for that rag.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement