Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

What do the pro-travel cool kids think of British travellers using Dublin airport to avoid their own restrictions? Happy enough with that as well?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/hundreds-dodge-uk-travel-ban-via-dublin-as-irish-passengers-jet-off-to-holiday-destinations-after-500-fines-40060396.html

What are you doing on a travel thread when you are against it? Maybe if your not into soccer you should join up to the soccer thread also, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's the only response that an article from almost a year ago deserves. If you wish to make a point surely a recent article would be more appropriate.

Soz, but still waiting on your evidence of structural change to the Spanish Healthcare system since March 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fm wrote: »
    What are you doing on a travel thread when you are against it? Maybe if your not into soccer you should join up to the soccer thread also, what's the point?

How else would he be able to try and shame/argue with those that wish to travel?

You can answer the question. Would you support the use of Dublin airport as a backdoor to the UK to allow people travelling there to avoid restrictions? Would you actively promote it, be ambivalent, or be against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Will anyone that got the fine,pay it?
    My dad is in his late 70's.
    He asked me to book a month away in march,to Lanzaorte for him.
    Told him about the fine.He started laughing.(No way will i pay that.
    I have paid 66 years of taxes to this government,how dare they tell me,to not leave this ****hole,life is too short,Feck covid,i mite die from old age soon anyway,etc etc.)
    He said he wont pay any fine,or even go to court if he gets a summons.
    Watch this space,we mite have the first o.a.p jailed,for going on a holiday in a few months.😂

The Canaries are currently battling their Third wave of Coronavirus. And whilst things have improved for the islands overall - Lanzarote remains at the highest alert level - alert level 4 which was introduced due to rising case numbers and the number of ICU patients in Lanzarote hospital having reached a critical point.

If you're happy enough to send your dad off knowing then I'd say someone has their head stuck in the sand.

On fines and convictions for flying:
    People issued with a Covid-19 related fine have 28 days to pay the fine and An Garda Síochána has a process in place with the Courts Service where anyone who fails to pay their fine within 28 days will receive a court date shortly after.

While gardaí say it is a matter for the Court, they are reminding people that failure to pay the FPN can result in conviction for a first offence in the District Court in a fine of €1,000 and/or imprisonment.

At the moment, six people will be before District Courts in March 2021 for non-payment of a Covid-19 fine. 

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40221326.html

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

You can answer the question. Would you support the use of Dublin airport as a backdoor to the UK to allow people travelling there to avoid restrictions? Would you actively promote it, be ambivalent, or be against it?

I don't need to answer it, I don't have an opinion on it tbh except maybe it's more of a problem for the UK than Ireland

I don't need to answer it, I don't have an opinion on it tbh except maybe it's more of a problem for the UK than Ireland

Why are you on a thread about travel if you don't want to talk about the current travel situation and issues?

Seems a bit silly to me! You wouldn't go to the soccer forum if you didn't want to talk about soccer?

Behind a paywall, sometimes the headline is at odds with the body of the article. So can you post the full article as I won't pay for that rag.

You can still say whether you'd be against it or for it. You don't need to read the article.

You're happy enough to state opinions on travel while simultaneously claiming there is no issue as nobody is travelling at the minute. In the same way, you can have an opinion on British travellers using (or potentially using) Dublin as a backdoor to avoid quarantine even if you believe it is not happening

Why are you on a thread about travel if you don't want to talk about the current travel situation and issues?

Seems a bit silly to me! You wouldn't go to the soccer forum if you didn't want to talk about soccer?

Jasus man get a hobby or something

You can still say whether you'd be against it or for it. You don't need to read the article.

You're happy enough to state opinions on travel while simultaneously claiming there is no issue as nobody is travelling at the minute. In the same way, you can have an opinion on British travellers using (or potentially using) Dublin as a backdoor to avoid quarantine even if you believe it is not happening

You linked an article behind a paywall so before I would venture an opinion on it you're going to have to set the article out in full, when you're ready thanks.
    Where did I claim there is no issue? Don't be making up stuff now. Telling lies hurts baby Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

gozunda wrote: »
    The Canaries are currently battling their Third wave of Coronavirus. And whilst things have improved for the islands overall - Lanzarote remains at the highest alert level - alert level 4 which was introduced due to rising case numbers and the number of ICU patients in Lanzarote hospital having reached a critical point.

If you're happy enough to send your dad off knowing then I'd say someone has their head stuck in the sand.

On fines and convictions for flying:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40221326.html

Best of luck.
    He is 77 years of age.He knows the so called risks.If he wants to go,why the hell,would i stop him.
    If i am honest,i am jealous,i cant go with him.
    Bet most people cribbing about the o.a.p's,heading off for a month in the sun,are aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Where is your source for that assertion?

If there were any privately run ones, then they would still be regulated by the Health System. It would be irrelevant

It's quite relevant, also the incident in the article happened in Madrid autonomous community, there are 17 autonomous communities that each manage their own health system, so to say that because of that incident that the entire spanish health system is worse than the irish health system is laughable.

You linked an article behind a paywall so before I would venture an opinion on it you're going to have to set the article out in full, when you're ready thanks.
    Where did I claim there is no issue? Don't be making up stuff now. Telling lies hurts baby Jesus.

You don't need to read an independent.ie article in order to form an opinion on whether you would or would not be for or against UK traveller's using Dublin airport to bypass their own quarantine restrictions.

You should be able to make up your own mind on the concept of it (potentially) going on without reading an article on how much it is or is not happening.

You don't need to read an independent.ie article in order to form an opinion on whether you would or would not be for or against UK traveller's using Dublin airport to bypass their own quarantine restrictions.

You should be able to make up your own mind on the concept of it (potentially) going on without reading an article on how much it is or is not happening.

You linked an article behind a paywall, I will not offer an opinion on something I can't read. It maybe a strange concept for you but I like to know what I am offering an opinion on. So once again either put the article out in full or more on your choice.

Soz, but still waiting on your evidence of structural change to the Spanish Healthcare system since March 2020.

You'll be waiting as I didn't offer any to begin with.
    Genuine question other than being argumentative what do you think you are achieving here?
    Is it boredom or a release in a sad existence?

It's quite relevant, also the incident in the article happened in Madrid autonomous community, there are 17 autonomous communities that each manage their own health system, so to say that because of that incident that the entire spanish health system is worse than the irish health system is laughable.

Except that nobody said that. Or anything like that.

I mean both can play at that game where you pretend the other person says something and then say it is laughable

e.g I can respond to you that:

"So to say that nobody ever dies from Covid in Spain is laughable"

I don't see the point of it

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Yesterday I rang to Gardai and they told me it is okey to travel if you care for family member but you need a letter from doctor or hospital to show to Gardai on the way to the Airport.

My father in law is sick back in Italy and we would like to go in april to visit him. Does anyone know if 2 weeks mandatory quarante will be in place? What are the chances will be released in 5th of March? We bought tickets and forgot about new rules ;( and my husband cant leave work for 2 weeks plus 2 weeks at home.

So you need to travel to care for this sick relative but can wait until after March 5th to decide if you will travel in April? And on top of that, the sick persons son isnt willing to take the required holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

What do the pro-travel cool kids think of British travellers using Dublin airport to avoid their own restrictions? Happy enough with that as well?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/hundreds-dodge-uk-travel-ban-via-dublin-as-irish-passengers-jet-off-to-holiday-destinations-after-500-fines-40060396.html

Pleased to see Dublin Airport get business, regardless of source.

You'll be waiting as I didn't offer any to begin with.
    Genuine question other than being argumentative what do you think you are achieving here?
    Is it boredom or a release in a sad existence?

Well, whatever I am escaping, at least it isn't bad enough for me that a week in Lanzarote is necessary to take me away from it!

For some posters, that appears to be the zenith of their ambition.

I think faceman was referring to public healthcare, those were all private nursing homes from the article you linked. Faceman is also right, I've been living here for nearly six years and the healthcare is great here. You wait very little to see a consultant or to take a test and in a and e you are seen very quick. It is also universal health care.

I must third this opinion, far superior in terms of waiting times and coverage. Theres a global chart somewhere online that shows each country, Spain and Ireland are close in and around 15th or 20th in the world. Evidently there is areas that Ireland is better, I have just never encountered them

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    The Gardai will be doing house calls to check according to government sourcesHere’s the gas bit Tenerife has lower covid rates than Ireland
    Your neighbour will get a test to say they are negative returning home
    They are legally required to quarantine with Garda checks. Their neighbour in the meantime who wasn’t outside of Ireland could test covid positive. Their family are now close contacts.
    They are asked to self isolate There will be no checks by the gardaiClose contacts can come and go as they please without any risk of penalty
    Last week approx 10 covid cases were attributed to travel. Non travel cases amounted to approx 9,000 with close contacts of approx 30,000 people Irish solution to an Irish problem ;)
    faceman wrote: »
    Tenerife has lower rates of Covid than Ireland
    And Spanish healthcare is waaaaay better than Irish healthcare anyway

Lol Faceman. I have to give it to you. You've perhaps done more to promote travel to the Canaries than the Canaries Tourism board :D

As has been already detailed mainy times already - the Canaries are currently battling their third wave of Coronavirus much like Ireland. The the ICU on one of the main hospitals on the Canary Islands has been in the news because it reached maximum capacity with rising cases.

And whilst things seem to be getting a little better - ar least one Island - Lanzarote is currently on the highest level of alert with a R number approx the same as here. It remains one of the biggest problems there is that travel between the Islands is not restricted - so the risk infection from island to island remains a significant risk.

Heading off to the airport + travel + flying + serviced accommodation poses an even higher risk than staying in any single location. For older people whose immune systems are often weaker- the risk is greater again.

Not sure if the constant promotion of feking off abroad on this thread against government advice comes from a covid denial mentality or thinking that we should throw all restrictions to the wind and be damned. Either way its fairly reckless for anyone promoting that anyone and especially the elderly should travel abroad at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ah another day, another article to incite the permanently outraged re travel being the source of all of our Covid woes on this fair old emerald Isle of ours, that according to the opposition and media won't have one single case of Covid on it if we bring in mandatory quarantine in the morning. 'We can be Zero' don't you know.
    Just remember, Joe public pays - loses the flights and holidays his European peers will be on, and gets ripped off trying to make a holiday in rainy Ireland or even better squashing into a beach 'in ones locality' (CMO Holohan) from June - October. And has to listen to weeks of vilification from those who dared try and leave on Joe Duffy, Claire Byrne, NPHET press conference, you name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Except that nobody said that. Or anything like that.

I mean both can play at that game where you pretend the other person says something and then say it is laughable

e.g I can respond to you that:

"So to say that nobody ever dies from Covid in Spain is laughable"

I don't see the point of it

Well you implied in your reply to faceman with that article that the irish health system was better than the spanish health system that's why I responded to you.

Well, whatever I am escaping, at least it isn't bad enough for me that a week in Lanzarote is necessary to take me away from it!

Never saw the attraction of Spain or the islands myself but I also don't feel the need to argue with people that do.
    You clearly have no intention of travelling at the moment so other than looking for a row your presence here is pathetic tbh.

Well you implied in your reply to faceman with that article that the irish health system was better than the spanish health system that's why I responded to you.

No I didn't

I simply gave a link showing that they are not without fault.

gozunda wrote: »
    Not sure if the constant promotion of feking off to the Canaries on this thread against government advice comes from a covid denial mentality or thinking that we should throw all restrictions to the wind and be damned. Either way its fairly reckless for anyone promoting that anyone and especially the elderly should travel abroad at this time.

by the same token however, can you understand the frustration when healthy people in their 20s are being told to stay inside all day to protect the elderly that are vulnerable to death by Covid while that 70 year old then gets on a plane on holidays?

I said it before, they didnt lock up the whole of Rome so the lepers could be free

Never saw the attraction of Spain or the islands myself but I also don't feel the need to argue with people that do.
    You clearly have no intention of travelling at the moment so other than looking for a row your presence here is pathetic tbh.

Well, just to point out that you have double the amount of posts in this thread that I do. Seems like a case of glass houses and stones for sneering at someone and going on about "pathetic" a "sad existence" just because they posted here. No?

Going slightly off topic, all these people that seem to hate living here so much, seriously, why haven't you changed your situation and moved. It's not that difficult to do it.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    He is 77 years of age. He knows the so called risks.If he wants to go,why the hell,would i stop him.
    If i am honest,i am jealous,i cant go with him.
    Bet most people cribbing about the o.a.p's,heading off for a month in the sun,are aswell.

Got it. ;)

So he and yourself don't believe the fact that Lanzarote is at the highest alert level for the Canary Islands. Or that travel poses a significant risk to older people who immune systems are generally lower? Or god forbid the advisory that people do not undertake unnecessary travel?

If you and him think that's - as I've already said best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Would a month be more appealing?

• Advertisement

Well, just to point out that you have double the amount of posts in this thread that I do. Seems like a case of glass houses and stones for sneering at someone and going on about "pathetic" a "sad existence" just because they posted here. No?

Going slightly off topic, all these people that seem to hate living here so much, seriously, why haven't you changed your situation and moved. It's not that difficult to do it.

Really? You think its easy to uproot your life and move abroad at this moment in time?

Its never that easy, people have responsibilities beyond themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement