Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

tiger_cub wrote: »
    In the same way my family couldn’t sue Dublin Bus if I took the bus to work and caught it and died, or took a taxi to the supermarket and caught it and died, no the law of tort (different to Ryanair challenging the proportionality of regulations) would not support a family in your strange scenario.

If you’re trying to imply they caught it on a flight - everyone boarding a flight has a negative test - essentially absolves an airline of liability short of infected staff going around licking faces or coughing.

Not comparable. There is an government advisory against non essential travel In this case a private company putting on flights between two regions with high rates of covid infection.

A number of cruise companies have already been hit with lawsuits

One example:
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/4/6/virus-hit-ruby-princess-cruise-ship-docks-in-eastern-australia

As for the second part nope that's not what is implied. At all.

Read what was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The UK is storming ahead with the rollout of the vaccine. It's genuinely impressive how they managed to pass the 12 million mark today and they are set to surpass 15 million by next week. By March they will have a very significant number vaccinated.

Meanwhile Ireland and the EU have made a total mess of the rollout. Totally embarrassing to see Brussels crawl to the Kremlin to seek the Russian vaccine for future use. Putin must be laughing. And now the EU 'welcome' the Chinese vaccine if it's proven to be safe.

The way the EU have gone after the UK has also been a disgraceful act of sour grapes. Trying to deflect from the total disaster they have inflicted upon themselves.

The UK have already vaccinated Ireland's population 2.5x - but we will take till the end of the year.

EU hails Russian vaccine as 'good news for mankind' - Link

The EU have made such a total mess of the vaccine rollout, they have now crawled to the Kremlin for assistance. They are clearly desperate. Remember this the next time they attack Putin.

RobitTV wrote: »
    The UK is storming ahead with the rollout of the vaccine. It's genuinely impressive how they managed to pass the 12 million mark today and they are set to surpass 15 million by next week. By March they will have a very significant number vaccinated.

Meanwhile Ireland and the EU have made a total mess of the rollout. Totally embarrassing to see Brussels crawl to the Kremlin to seek the Russian vaccine for future use. Putin must be laughing. And now the EU 'welcome' the Chinese vaccine if it's proven to be safe.

The way the EU have gone after the UK has also been a disgraceful act of sour grapes. Trying to deflect from the total disaster they have inflicted upon themselves.

The UK have already vaccinated Ireland's population 2.5x - but we will take till the end of the year.

Makes you wonder if vacine tourism will become a reality?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/floridas-covid-19-vaccines-draw-foreigners-snowbirds-11610620200

https://indianexpress.com/article/world/covid-19-vaccine-dubai-vaccine-tourism-7145167/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

• Advertisement

Expect traffic jams to Newry.

Would you have to have a UK national insurance number?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gozunda wrote: »
    Would you have to have a UK national insurance number?
    I do I was born in northern ireland....just a tad outside or my 5kms though..
    I am guessing you would need an address in northern ireland as well

UK vaccine rollout update today:

550,468 jabs recorded today

That's 382 jabs per minute

Very impressive!

If the UK keep up the 7 day average rate, they'll have given a first COVID vaccine dose to...

Top 4 Priority Groups by 14th February 2021

All Vulnerable groups by 25th March 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

UK vaccine rollout update today:

550,468 jabs recorded today

That's 382 jabs per minute

Very impressive!
    It's very impressive rollout wise no doubt.
    What is percentage of those that are AstraZeneca and what portion went to over 65? That would be a worry imo.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    It's very impressive rollout wise no doubt.
    What is percentage of those that are AstraZeneca and what portion went to over 65? That would be a worry imo.

Yeah it would be interesting to see those statistics. Hopefully we will find out more.

Mr.S wrote: »
    What's with the Russian attack? Why wouldn't we want it, if it's proved to be effective?

I'm not attacking Russia myself. But I'm pointing out the utter hypocrisy of the European Union who have spent many years demonizing Russia and threatening them with sanctions. But now of all of a sudden because they are desperate they are turning to Moscow for vaccines. They even warned us since 2010 about a potential conflict with Russia and placed NATO air bases on the Russian and Polish border to simply provoke them even further.

I haven't a problem with the Russian vaccine if its safe. You just have to laugh at Brussels sometimes, they are clearly spooked right now about the ongoing vaccine rollout failure.

Behind the scenes the EU are utterly furious with the UK and its ongoing success with the vaccine rollout. They are the definition of sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod - RobitTV

This is not the vaccine thread. Please bring your discusion there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm not attacking Russia myself. But I'm pointing out the utter hypocrisy of the European Union who have spent many years demonizing Russia and threatening them with sanctions. But now of all of a sudden because they are desperate they are turning to Moscow for vaccines. They even warned us since 2010 about a potential conflict with Russia and placed NATO air bases on the Russian and Polish border to simply provoke them even further.

I haven't a problem with the Russian vaccine if its safe. You just have to laugh at Brussels sometimes, they are clearly spooked right now about the ongoing vaccine rollout failure.

Behind the scenes the EU are utterly furious with the UK and its ongoing success with the vaccine rollout. They are the definition of sour grapes.

"The EU placed NATO air bases.."

Since when were the EU running NATO?

josip wrote: »
    "The EU placed NATO air bases.."

Since when were the EU running NATO?

I better not go into this much more because this isn't on the travel topic, but I will reply to you.

To be fair, many EU member states are directly involved in NATO along with the United States. NATO headquarters is based in Brussels too. I'm not suggesting the EU Commission are controlling NATO in any shape or form. They don't have any direct say within the organization. But NATO is made up overwhelmingly of European Union member states. These type of decisions have to be agreed by the members of NATO, who also happen to be member states of the EU.

I have to add you misquoted my original post. I never directly said "The *EU* placed NATO air bases.." I'm talking about EU member states who are members of NATO and agreed to go ahead with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Going to the Canaries on Tuesday. Yep.
    Enjoy.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Enjoy.

:D

Erh. I think you'll find the poster posted that last year on the 27-02-2020. He hasn't been heard of since...

Erh. I think you'll find the poster posted that last year on the 27-02-2020. He hasn't been heard of since...

Probly caught the virusðŸ˜

As johnny logan sang,"whats another year"😀

As johnny logan sang,"whats another year"��

(Don’t) Hold Me Now.....cos of Covid. Why Me?

• Advertisement

I wonder if many people will travel from Belfast this summer if the air travel restrictions are relaxed in the UK.

I don't know what they will do in Ireland this summer. Leo Varadkar didn't sound too optimistic when he was being interviewed by Journal.ie

They will most likely allow 'staycations' in Northern Ireland. There will be no fines for crossing the border.

Justice Minister urges people not to book summer holidays as Covid travel restrictions will be in place ‘for some time’

Very interesting comment about the timeline of the air travel restrictions:

"I think going into the summer particularly as we're seeing variants change and adapt and we're seeing new variants emerge, we need to keep these measures in place, should the minister need to identify a new country and for us to have stricter measures and quarantining measures.

"I don't think this is something that will be here for the next month or two, unfortunately I think it will be much longer."

Justice Minister urges people not to book summer holidays as Covid travel restrictions will be in place ‘for some time’

Very interesting comment about the timeline of the air travel restrictions:

"I think going into the summer particularly as we're seeing variants change and adapt and we're seeing new variants emerge, we need to keep these measures in place, should the minister need to identify a new country and for us to have stricter measures and quarantining measures.

"I don't think this is something that will be here for the next month or two, unfortunately I think it will be much longer."

Have you got a link to those quotes?

Have you got a link to those quotes?

Link here :)
    Better one here

Thought I'd post this here so nobody misses this piece of information

The Justice Minister Helen McEntee says new restrictions on travel are unlikely be eased by the summer.
    Newstalk

Thought I'd repost this here so nobody misses this piece of information

The Justice Minister Helen McEntee says new restrictions on travel are unlikely be eased by the summer.
    Newstalk

Makes sense. Only a fool with a death wish would consider a foreign holiday a good idea during a pandemic. Let’s take things slowly. Get vaccinated. Make sure vaccination is working. Then consider foreign holidays. After all, they’re not vital. Lives are.

Probly caught the virusðŸ˜

Maybe you're right :eek:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51693259

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭blackvalley

faceman wrote: »
    If ever anyone needed proof that they employe shills to post on boards.ie and The Journal this is it. They didn’t even get the currency right.

Hi Faceman .Following my post yesterday evening I have given you more than twenty four hours to offer a reasonable rational behind the accusation that you assert .
    A cursory glance at all my posts over several years would assure any reasonable person that my contributions were designed to help rather than confuse .
    I have always detested bullys and buyllying and unfortunately your response falls into the first category.
    So please
    1 / Explain
    2 / Apologize
    3/ Ban

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Link here :)
    Better one here

"...these measures are here to stay, at least for now."

:D:D:D:D :D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Nope. Neither is a example of a country having a war comparable to a situation whers a company decides to provide flights in the midst of a pandemic to and from areas of high rates of infection. And btw didn't detail that for any 'difference' - but it will be interesting to see who Ryanair sues now that thd UK has made all holiday and leisure based travel illegal and not an advisory based on their previous litigation.

buddy, you went down a mad rabbit hole with this one.

Theres a large difference, as I explained to you between not only the scenarios but also the points of law being applied and challenged.

Warzone, pandemic location, zombie outbreak. All the same, countries carry travel warning levels and if the airline is willing to fly and you are willing to travel, thats all there is too it. Again, terms and conditions and the requirements and expectations of the contract between the two are not remotely comparable to a commercial company bringing a legal challenge against a restriction on a point of law.

Let me be very clear, Ryanair challenged a legal restriction throwugh judicial review much like Gemma did. At no stage were they seeking a tort against the government based on a loss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement