Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

buddy, you went down a mad rabbit hole with this one.
    Theres a large difference, as I explained to you between not only the scenarios but also the points of law being applied and challenged.
    Warzone, pandemic location, zombie outbreak. All the same, countries carry travel warning levels and if the airline is willing to fly and you are willing to travel, thats all there is too it. Again, terms and conditions and the requirements and expectations of the contract between the two are not remotely comparable to a commercial company bringing a legal challenge against a restriction on a point of law.
    Let me be very clear, Ryanair challenged a legal restriction throwugh judicial review much like Gemma did. At no stage were they seeking a tort against the government based on a loss.

Whooa there 'buddy' lol. Calm down. Now that's a rabbit warren of intergalactic dimensions.

I suggest you simply go back and read what was written and put down the encyclopedia of conspiracy theories or whatever you've been reading into.

The first point made referred to the likelihood of the airline taking a similar case to that taken last year.

The second (completly separate point) referred to the possibility that someone in our currently litigatious society might try to take case with regard to negligence in relation to travel between areas with high rates of infection.

No one said they were comparable. And absolutely no idea why you are conflating the two. Comprende?

Come back in a year and we'll see what has happened then.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭DubLad69

I don't even understand how the guards are giving anyone a fine. They are outside the airport (not even inside) and are stopping people asking them if they have an excuse to travel.

Why aren't all these people just giving an excuse and moving on? It's just like their normal check points, and I doubt they are asking for evidence!

No too much hassle. But if I’d to travel for work or family would be looking to go.

gozunda wrote: »
    Whooa there 'buddy' lol. Calm down. Now that's a rabbit warren of intergalactic dimensions.

I suggest you simply go back and read what was written and put down the encyclopedia of conspiracy theories or whatever you've been reading into.

The first point made referred to the likelihood of the airline taking a similar case to that taken last year.

The second (completly separate point) referred to the possibility that someone in our currently litigatious society might try to take case with regard to negligence in relation to travel between areas with high rates of infection.

No one said they were comparable. And absolutely no idea why you are conflating the two. Comprende?

Come back in a year and we'll see what has happened then.

Thats some nice reversal. You made the comment, not me. YOU are the one dragging all these nonsense scenarios into play. You brought it up.

This was your comment:
    gozunda wrote: »
    Is Ryanair sueing the UK government? As under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, It is now illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes.

I wonder would the law support a family - whose relative flew to a holiday destination, - sueing an airline where that person subsequently caught Covid and died?

You can try and suggest one was not connected to the other but I would suggest no one will buy that bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thats some nice reversal. You made the comment, not me. YOU are the one dragging all these nonsense scenarios into play. You brought it up.This was your comment: You can try and suggest one was not connected to the other but I would suggest no one will buy that bridge.

Yes indeed that was MY comment in reply to another poster. I should know ' I wrote it. Ive already pointed out several times they're not connected other than they are both related to the law. But if you wish to bizarrely connect the two and come up with 56, and a bunch of "nonsense scenarios" involving Warzones, zombie outbreaks and some rabbit holes then be my guest. All I can say is take it easy - its not Tolstoy's war and peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I need to make an essential international journey next week and would rather not have any interactions with the Gardai if possible; the whole travel ban is a shambles (imo) and one misinformed Garda could fine me €500 which would probably cost me more to defend myself in court about the legitimate nature of my travel, and worse still cause me to have to return to Ireland for such a court case in the worse case scenario.

I have a late morning flight departing Dublin and I can choose to fly internal and transit Dublin or else travel over land the evening before to stay in one of the few hotels nearby that are still open like Premier Inn or Travel-lodge. I could fly into Dublin at 7.20am to catch an 10am flight or alternatively I can take the Train to Heuston, LUAS to City Centre and Bus to near the hotel and have a good nights sleep prior to the flight.

I could alternatively get up at stupid o clock and take the Dublin Coach to the Airport. My travel is classified as essential under 3-4 reasons, vital family reasons, also on my own health grounds with a letter from my GP, I also have legal obligations to meet and finally as I am departing one way I will be abandoning my normal residency here with only a slight chance of potentially returning to Ireland by mid-summer if I would return to Ireland in 2021 at all, basically I am emigrating since I hold permanent residency of a country outside the EU.

In normal times I wouldn't think twice and it would be straight to the airport hotel the night before, but now with restrictions and despite my own exemption I do not trust the Gardai to not go on a power trip. I have had such bad luck in recent weeks that this would really be the icing on the cake of a hard month for me. But then Flying internal in the morning risks an unconnected transfer and any delay or tech issue with the plane and over a grands worth of flight could be lost for the long haul sector.

I look forward to the flight my first 787-9 and the warm climate awaiting but not the personal circumstances that has triggered this travel in the middle of a epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Exceptions for verifiable valid reasons shouldn’t be an issue. Have your documentation with you + your negative Covid test results if required in your destination.
    You will need to quarantine on your return more than likely. If you return.
    Essential travel is covered, but please don’t try it on for a bit of sunshine. That’s a kick in the dentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

theguzman wrote: »
    I need to make an essential international journey next week and would rather not have any interactions with the Gardai if possible; the whole travel ban is a shambles (imo) and one misinformed Garda could fine me €500 which would probably cost me more to defend myself in court about the legitimate nature of my travel, and worse still cause me to have to return to Ireland for such a court case in the worse case scenario.

I have a late morning flight departing Dublin and I can choose to fly internal and transit Dublin or else travel over land the evening before to stay in one of the few hotels nearby that are still open like Premier Inn or Travel-lodge. I could fly into Dublin at 7.20am to catch an 10am flight or alternatively I can take the Train to Heuston, LUAS to City Centre and Bus to near the hotel and have a good nights sleep prior to the flight.

I could alternatively get up at stupid o clock and take the Dublin Coach to the Airport. My travel is classified as essential under 3-4 reasons, vital family reasons, also on my own health grounds with a letter from my GP, I also have legal obligations to meet and finally as I am departing one way I will be abandoning my normal residency here with only a slight chance of potentially returning to Ireland by mid-summer if I would return to Ireland in 2021 at all, basically I am emigrating since I hold permanent residency of a country outside the EU.

In normal times I wouldn't think twice and it would be straight to the airport hotel the night before, but now with restrictions and despite my own exemption I do not trust the Gardai to not go on a power trip. I have had such bad luck in recent weeks that this would really be the icing on the cake of a hard month for me. But then Flying internal in the morning risks an unconnected transfer and any delay or tech issue with the plane and over a grands worth of flight could be lost for the long haul sector.

I look forward to the flight my first 787-9 and the warm climate awaiting but not the personal circumstances that has triggered this travel in the middle of a epidemic.

The guards do not stop public transport, nor are they outside the airport after around 9pm. I got a bus to Dublin airport last week and no sign of them either, no questions inside or outside the airport.

You’ll be fine going at that time of night

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

I live and work in Ireland but i am not an Irish citizen. I would like to go back to my home country for at least few months and work from there. I want to be closer to my parents until they get vaccinated. Would that be an essential travel then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The airport was packed last week. Much busier than it was back in July or even October. And you have people thinking the airport is a ghost town and that you’ll be fined for even thinking of going to the airport? Ha.

My flight to Paris was full, no joke. We were queuing at the check in counter for 30 mins at 3.30 am so imagine how busy it was during
    The daytime....

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »

Jaysis
    Stop with the drama. Go whatever way you want to go, sorry to disappoint you but gardai are not There waiting for you or 'to go on a powertrip'
    Just tell them you're emigrating & go.

Although, if they read all your posts on boards, they may not believe ya!!

cnbyz wrote: »
    I live and work in Ireland but i am not an Irish citizen. I would like to go back to my home country for at least few months and work from there. I want to be closer to my parents until they get vaccinated. Would that be an essential travel then ?

Yes, if you are moving home, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The airport was packed last week. Much busier than it was back in July or even October. And you have people thinking the airport is a ghost town and that you’ll be fined for even thinking of going to the airport? Ha.

My flight to Paris was full, no joke. We were queuing at the check in counter for 30 mins at 3.30 am so imagine how busy it was during
    The daytime....

Actually morning is traditionally the busiest time in the airport. Interesting that you say it was busy compared to July and October though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-boss-accuses-nphet-of-excoriating-liveline-holiday-pair-40060401.html

Dublin Airport and our connectivity to elsewhere may suffer for years from this.

This article states that Dublin Airport has lost a lot of its flight connections since the start of the Pandemic:

"Dublin Airport has lost connections to 115 cities across the globe due to the pandemic. The airport currently has scheduled flights to just 85 cities, compared with 200 before the pandemic hit."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Is there any prospect of the travel restrictions being eased by July? And a return to the traffic light system?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Is there any prospect of the travel restrictions being eased by July? And a return to the traffic light system?

The Traffic light system is still in place AFAIK.
    If you come in from a green or Orange region with a negative PCR test you don't have to restrict your movements.
    The problem is leaving in the first place and the fact that there are very few Green or Orange regions.
    Hopefully there will be a lot more by the summer.

The Traffic light system is still in place AFAIK.
    If you come in from a green or Orange region with a negative PCR test you don't have to restrict your movements.
    The problem is leaving in the first place and the fact that there are very few Green or Orange regions.
    Hopefully there will be a lot more by the summer.

Thanks! An I correct in saying that the current fines being imposed are only a modified version of the 5km limit? Once travel increases to within a county, does this become null and void?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Thanks! An I correct in saying that the current fines being imposed are only a modified version of the 5km limit? Once travel increases to within a county, does this become null and void?

It's not illegal to travel abroad, they are discouraging people by fining them for making non-essential journeys to the airport.

They were fining people a few weeks ago for breaking the 5k rule but I am not sure if the 5k rule applies anymore; i.e. I don't think you can avoid a fine if you live in Swords within 5km of the airport.
    Stephen Donnelly brought in a law last week making it a fineable offence to travel to the airport for tourist purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Other EU countries will be open to the prospect of tourism by the summertime, however its likely that international travel will be frowned upon by NPHET and government for the foreseeable future, ultimately it will depend on public pressure and compliance, It looks like people are already losing patience with these travel restrictions and its not even holiday season yet

Other EU countries will be open to the prospect of tourism by the summertime, however its likely that international travel will be frowned upon by NPHET and government for the foreseeable future, ultimately it will depend on public pressure and compliance, It looks like people are already losing patience with these travel restrictions and its not even holiday season yet

We will be the odd ones out in Europe again so. I applauded NPHETs work early in the pandemic, but now I think they have been blinded by their 15 minutes of fame and have developed a serious God complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Holoham/NPHET haven't changed the advice on Travel since April last year and I don't expect they will for the foreseeable...

The difference now is there's legal penalties and PCR tests in place for Travel...
    Can't see any of that being withdrawn in the next 5 months, however many will factor in the cost of the fines with the holiday...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Holoham/NPHET haven't changed the advice on Travel since April last year and I don't expect they will for the foreseeable...

The difference now is there's legal penalties and PCR tests in place for Travel...
    Can't see any of that being withdrawn in the next 5 months, however many will factor in the cost of the fines with the holiday...

The testing etc is a good idea to be honest. I wonder if they'll come a point where travel will become essential to people's mental health? I could see that being a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭DubLad69

Stephen Donnelly brought in a law last week making it a fineable offence to travel to the airport for tourist purposes.

Does anyone know where I can find the wording of this new law?

The testing etc is a good idea to be honest. I wonder if they'll come a point where travel will become essential to people's mental health? I could see that being a valid reason.

Doubt it, Holoham is in charge and his No. 1 priority is to protect the HSE at all costs, and we've a spineless Government so they won't stand up to him...
    Only thing that may influence is if the rest of the EU opens up in the late Summer whereas Ireland remains a closed Island...

And the fact that the Garda patrolling of the Border with N.I is already raising the shackles of some Unionists.... So we're heading for a very "Interesting" few months of this...

Doubt it, Holoham is in charge and his No. 1 priority is to protect the HSE at all costs, and we've a spineless Government so they won't stand up to him...
    Only thing that may influence is if the rest of the EU opens up in the late Summer whereas Ireland remains a closed Island...

And the fact that the Garda patrolling of the Border with N.I is already raising the shackles of some Unionists.... So we're heading for a very "Interesting" few months of this...

What I can't understand is what'll there be to protect come May or June. We'll have the usual seasonal drop, the most vulnerable will be vaccinated, a reasonable chunk of the population will have had it. So why lock down? All this talk of staycations, you'd be far safer abroad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

There's not a hope there will be gards at Dublin airport in July fining people €250 for leaving their 5km radius.

The 5km rule will be well gone by then.

At worst you'd have PCR which I think is OK. I've my hols booked for late July and 100% going with my family to Algarve.

People don't seem to understand this pandemic is 100% seasonal as well as the fact that we could be giving out 1m doses per month of the vaccine in May.

PS I don't care what NPHET say, i don't even read it anymore. Just use your own common sense IMO...

Unionists don't care if gardai patrol the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

We aren't closed - you can leave Ireland if you wish right now.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Unionists don't care if gardai patrol the border.

What do you base that opinion on?

• Advertisement

We aren't closed - you can leave Ireland if you wish right now.

My point is that if there's still fines/Police checking documents at Ports + Mandatory hotel quarantine + Border controls/fines for travel - then apart from locking the doors to the Ports then the message is that Ireland is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement