Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    What do you base that opinion on?

Are you serious?
    Why would unionists care if gardai patrol the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are you serious?
    Why would unionists care if gardai patrol the border?

I'm just asking you to back up your claims that Unionists don't care if Gardai are on the border, returning N.I residents back over the border?

I'm just asking you to back up your claims that Unionists don't care if Gardai are on the border, returning N.I residents back over the border?

You made the original claim, you prove it!
    Of all the people in this island, the unionists are the least likely to care about gardai on the border!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They would never come over the border in the first place

You made the original claim, you prove it!
    Of all the people in this island, the unionists are the least likely to care about gardai on the border!

Alright then:
    The move has been seized upon by unionist politicians who say it shows a hard border can be introduced on the island of Ireland.
    poster

Democratic Unionist Party MP Gavin Robinson said the Garda checks showed Ireland can “enforce a north-south border when it suits”.

“This is a bit awkward for Simon Coveney and the ‘no hard border’ sledgehammer brigade.

"Seems like the Republic of Ireland Government is taking a decent go at hardening the existing international border between their country and Northern Ireland.

“The Border deniers will have been left scratching their heads on this one.”

Ulster Unionist Party MLA Doug Beattie said the Garda move was “a game-changer”.

“We have been told for four and a half years that not only can we not have a hard border, we cannot have a single camera on the Border,” he said.

“Within the past week we have seen that the EU is prepared to instigate a hard border and today we find the Garda are ready, willing and able to secure the Border from 7am on Monday.

“This is an absolute game-changer and means that the entire Brexit negotiations took place under false pretences. Given the fiasco that the protocol has turned out to be, it is now time to reassess the situation.”

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/door-will-be-shut-on-holidaymakers-flying-into-dublin-to-beat-uk-quarantine-40063456.html

• Advertisement

Lol
    I think you have this story backwards!! :)

It shows that they are happy to see a border can be introduced

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Thanks! An I correct in saying that the current fines being imposed are only a modified version of the 5km limit? Once travel increases to within a county, does this become null and void?
    There's not a hope there will be gards at Dublin airport in July fining people €250 for leaving their 5km radius.

The 5km rule will be well gone by then.

what 5km limit? The one thats mentioned only in connection with exercise? Its irelevent Im within 5km of the airport, I still cant drive there for ****s and giggles.

If non essential travel within your county is allowed then Dubs can go to the airport. Thats not to say that leaving the country wont qualify as 'leaving your county' though.

Once again for those that wont read or rely on dublinlive.ie for their information;
    • All non essential travel is against the regulations. Thats it, no limits, no distance.
    • All ESSENTIAL travel is allowed within the entire country and abroad.*
    • Exercise is allowed but only within 5km of your home.**
    • Travelling to your place of residence is deemed essential***

Thats it, thats the lot. They arent that hard to understand

*The examples are exactly that, examples. The list is not definitive as it would wipe out a rainforest typing them all. Common sense and the genuine 'need' comes into play.

**Running to the airport isnt a loophole, its the purpose of the travel that defines it, not the method.

***Its suggested that if you engaged in non essential when leaving your house then the return is also non essential. I get the logic but thats the way the law is written.

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find the wording of this new law?

THeres so many because they are all amendments but if you type in 'covid' on statutes.ie it will bring them up.

Lol
    I think you have this story backwards!! :)
    It shows that they are happy to see a border can be introduced

Getting way off topic here, but this isn't for the reasons you think, it shows them that the lengths the EU/Irish Govt. went through to avoid a hard border was a farce....
    Anyways, if you want to continue debating the point then start a thread in the Politics forum.

Getting way off topic here, but this isn't for the reasons you think, it shows them that the lengths the EU/Irish Govt. went through to avoid a hard border was a farce....
    Anyways, if you want to continue debating the point then start a thread in the Politics forum.

Yes, it proves to them that there can be a border, in their heads anyway. So not actually 'rising the shackles of unionists' as you claimed.

But yeah, if you want to discuss politics about this, then you can start it seeing as you brought it up!

I've been saying from the start we should have gardai on the border, the sooner they do the better imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

theguzman wrote: »
    I need to make an essential international journey next week and would rather not have any interactions with the Gardai if possible; the whole travel ban is a shambles (imo) and one misinformed Garda could fine me €500 which would probably cost me more to defend myself in court about the legitimate nature of my travel, and worse still cause me to have to return to Ireland for such a court case in the worse case scenario.

I have a late morning flight departing Dublin and I can choose to fly internal and transit Dublin or else travel over land the evening before to stay in one of the few hotels nearby that are still open like Premier Inn or Travel-lodge. I could fly into Dublin at 7.20am to catch an 10am flight or alternatively I can take the Train to Heuston, LUAS to City Centre and Bus to near the hotel and have a good nights sleep prior to the flight.

I could alternatively get up at stupid o clock and take the Dublin Coach to the Airport. My travel is classified as essential under 3-4 reasons, vital family reasons, also on my own health grounds with a letter from my GP, I also have legal obligations to meet and finally as I am departing one way I will be abandoning my normal residency here with only a slight chance of potentially returning to Ireland by mid-summer if I would return to Ireland in 2021 at all, basically I am emigrating since I hold permanent residency of a country outside the EU.

In normal times I wouldn't think twice and it would be straight to the airport hotel the night before, but now with restrictions and despite my own exemption I do not trust the Gardai to not go on a power trip. I have had such bad luck in recent weeks that this would really be the icing on the cake of a hard month for me. But then Flying internal in the morning risks an unconnected transfer and any delay or tech issue with the plane and over a grands worth of flight could be lost for the long haul sector.

I look forward to the flight my first 787-9 and the warm climate awaiting but not the personal circumstances that has triggered this travel in the middle of a epidemic.

I mean this with all the best intentions. Your posts come across as very anxious and like a mind doing summersaults. It's a strange time and many of us are over thinking and displaying behaviours that would be far from our normal sociable selves.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to speak to someone and get some things off your chest. Writing it down helps but verbalising it is better again.

The Traffic light system is still in place AFAIK.
    If you come in from a green or Orange region with a negative PCR test you don't have to restrict your movements.
    The problem is leaving in the first place and the fact that there are very few Green or Orange regions.
    Hopefully there will be a lot more by the summer.

Not so. You still have to quarantine. Until you get a negative PCR 5 days after your return. Day 1 is the day after your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Not so. You still have to quarantine. Until you get a negative PCR 5 days after your return. Day 1 is the day after your return.

That's not true your advice is correct for Red and 'Grey' countries:

All passengers arriving into Ireland will have to provide a negative Covid-19 test prior to departure from this Saturday, 16 January.

The negative test must be taken within 72 hours prior to arrival in Ireland......

People arriving from green and orange list countries will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival, but must adhere to the local public health guidance.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0112/1189245-switzerland-quarantine/

That's not true your advice is correct for Red and 'Grey' countries:

All passengers arriving into Ireland will have to provide a negative Covid-19 test prior to departure from this Saturday, 16 January.

The negative test must be taken within 72 hours prior to arrival in Ireland......

People arriving from green and orange list countries will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival, but must adhere to the local public health guidance.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0112/1189245-switzerland-quarantine/

This says otherwise and is more up to date.
    “From 4 February 2021, a legal requirement to quarantine has been introduced for all passengers arriving in Ireland. Only very limited categories of passengers can be exempt from this legal requirement.” https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/general-covid-19-travel-advisory/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

My point is that if there's still fines/Police checking documents at Ports + Mandatory hotel quarantine + Border controls/fines for travel - then apart from locking the doors to the Ports then the message is that Ireland is closed.

Of course there's feking restrictions. We're in the midst of a global pandemic. The UK has made it illegal to travel for holiday or other leisure purposes. Mainland Spain declared a national emergency

What you want in Ireland? A free for all and bugger the consequences?

I seriously have to wonder about how much people actually understand about the current situation or is that a overwhelming need for 2 weeks of sun and sangria in Playa del Tonto has a deveststingly detrimental effect on basic logic.

gozunda wrote: »
    Of course there's feking restrictions. We're in the midst of a global pandemic. The UK has made it illegal to travel for holiday or other leisure purposes. Mainland Spain declared a national emergencyWhat you want in Ireland? A free for all and bugger the consequences? I seriously have to wonder about how much people actually understand about the current situation or is that a overwhelming need for 2 weeks of sun and sangria in Playa del Tonto has a deveststingly detrimental effect on basic logic.

I'm so looking forward to my break in the Canaries soon, not sure which of the Island I will holiday at, need the sun with all this wintry weather going around...
    I'm all ready to factor in the cost of any fines, so I have the flip flops and shorts packed now, can't wait...
    I'll find out which place does the cheapest PCR too, should be half the price in Spain as it is here...
    The only question is two weeks or three, prices for resorts are great value now..

I'm so looking forward to my break in the Canaries soon, not sure which of the Island I will holiday at, need the sun with all this wintry weather going around...
    I'm all ready to factor in the cost of any fines, so I have the flip flops and shorts packed now, can't wait...
    I'll find out which place does the cheapest PCR too, should be half the price in Spain as it is here...
    The only question is two weeks or three, prices for resorts are great value now..

I rest my case ....:pac:

“From 4 February 2021, a legal requirement to quarantine has been introduced for all passengers arriving in Ireland. Only very limited categories of passengers can be exempt from this legal requirement.” https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/general-covid-19-travel-advisory/

They seems to be changing the rules every few weeks.
    Very hard to follow....

I rest my case ....:pac:

Wow, finally giving it a rest here? Hallelujah! :rolleyes:

They seems to be changing the rules every few weeks.
    Very hard to follow....

Easy with Google. Just search the government sites rather than media ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Of course there's feking restrictions. We're in the midst of a global pandemic. The UK has made it illegal to travel for holiday or other leisure purposes. Mainland Spain declared a national emergency

What you want in Ireland? A free for all and bugger the consequences?

I seriously have to wonder about how much people actually understand about the current situation or is that a overwhelming need for 2 weeks of sun and sangria in Playa del Tonto has a deveststingly detrimental effect on basic logic.

my folks are back in Southern Spain a few weeks and its not too bad, i think pubs and restaurants are closing ow at 6.30ish for the night ,whereas it was 6.30 to 8.00 then back open until 2 weeks ago.

whats your problem wth people going on holidays? I 100% NEED a break or im going to go insane very soon.

if people provide a negative test to wherever they go, and provide a negative test upon arriving home, then whats the bloody problem?

copeyhagen wrote: »
    my folks are back in Southern Spain a few weeks and its not too bad, i think pubs and restaurants are closing ow at 6.30ish for the night ,whereas it was 6.30 to 8.00 then back open until 2 weeks ago.

whats your problem wth people going on holidays? I 100% NEED a break or im going to go insane very soon.

if people provide a negative test to wherever they go, and provide a negative test upon arriving home, then whats the bloody problem?

I think the bloody problem is what they might bring with them. Who and how many might be infected by someone travelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Followed the link, and the subsequent links on that page, and I must say, it's all wishy washy. I can't find any reference to a ban on non essential travel, only advisories;

There is a Government Advisory in operation against all non-essential international travel

Plenty of references to the UK and Brazil but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

I think the bloody problem is what they might bring with them. Who and how many might be infected by someone travelling.

didnt the govt say that less than 1% of cases in 2020 were from travelling? im sure i read that here.

travelled twice last eyar, full masks the whole time, from house to apartment in Spain, was safe as you can get.

whats the fkin point in a test if your not happy with the results ffs

Wow, finally giving it a rest here? Hallelujah! :rolleyes:

Lol. No. Read previous comment! :D

didnt the govt say that less than 1% of cases in 2020 were from travelling? im sure i read that here.

travelled twice last eyar, full masks the whole time, from house to apartment in Spain, was safe as you can get.

whats the fkin point in a test if your not happy with the results ffs

And they only brought mandatory testing pre departure a few weeks ago.

That would massively reduce the % even more. Travel is simply being put out as the bogeyman when it clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

And they only brought mandatory testing pre departure a few weeks ago.

That would massively reduce the % even more. Travel is simply being put out as the bogeyman when it clearly isn't.

I know of a case over last summer where people went to Cyprus (on our green list at the time) and came back with the virus and spread it... How would you propose to stop this happening?

Yes. We all NEED a holiday. However we have all been asked to avoid all non essential travel to help keep down the rate of infection here. Hence level 5 atm. Idiots ignoring that - is the 'bloody problem'! Comprehende?

Would you break the law in the UK if you lived there or because the Irish system is a light touch - some people think they can take the mickey?

Yes. We all NEED a holiday.

I'll sponsor a holiday for ya, cargo flight leaving for Greenland tomorrow, get packing...

• Advertisement

I know of a case over last summer where people went to Cyprus (on our green list at the time) and came back with the virus and spread it... How would you propose to stop this happening?

I know someone who traveled all over Europe last Summer and never caught so much as a bad cup of tea, how would you say that happened?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement