Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

tom1ie wrote: »
    American and British tourists should be banned from coming here but nothing seems to have been done about it. Not sure what can be done about uk tourists coming here anyway as we have a land border.

Doesn’t mean going abroad during a pandemic is a good idea though.

ive already answered your previous post , travel to countries with a low rate of covid 19 is absolutely fine, travel to countries with a high rate isnt, but to suggest a blanket ban on all travel is absolutely and utterly ludicrous in every regard.

A number of medical experts have said this so ill take on board what they say over a government here with an agenda to keep people at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

And when you go abroad will you be SDing the same as you would back home?
    We'll be able to SD more.
    What about airports and on the plane how will you SD there?
    There are more things on heaven and on earth Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    We don't fly.
    When you get to Spain (or wherever) and you start to mingle with British or Russian (for example) tourists, have your chances of catching the virus and bringing it back to Ireland increased?
    We don't 'mingle' in wherever. We've always stayed together as a family unit. Most days we're hundreds of metres away from any others.
    Of course they have.
    ...have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

People shouldn’t be travelling outside the country unless it’s essential.

People shouldn’t be travelling within Ireland on staycations either unless essential. If you’re going to condem travel to another country with similiar infection per population numbers i would hope you equally have the same view regarding staycations. The virus is in Ireland and can be spread around.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Most of this comment is about as much value as pub talk after three pints. I dont know why I read this can someone close this thread it is pure rubbish. Ranging from close the borders to what virus OMG

Micky 32 wrote: »
    People shouldn’t be travelling within Ireland on staycations either unless essential. If you’re going to condem travel to another country with similiar infection per population numbers i would hope you equally have the same view regarding staycations. The virus is in Ireland and can be spread around.

Exactly, but people seem to be conveniently ignoring this fact, popular places like Killarney, Dingle, Kilkenny, Galway to name but a few will be thronged with many more visitors than usual and not the usual tourists from abroad but Irish who following the "advice" decided to holiday at home,so this alone poses a very great risk of a spike in infections, but lets just ignore this and castigate anyone who wants to travel abroad on a half empty plane with everyone wearing masks to a half empty holiday resort.

You couldn't make this nonsense up if you tried :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Your decisions could have a direct impact on others that have decided to follow the health guidelines. So yeah you should be called out.

"Could", the key word. It is not a free for all, just acceptable travel to countries deemed to be sufficiently low risk. No one is saying to go off to Ipanema beach and have everyone cough on them, there is a risk based approach to enabling travel to certain countries where adequate processes are in place to render the risk of causing an overwhelming covid crisis occuring pretty low. Your attitude of blanket travel bans and shaming is based on pure ignorance and black and white thinking which, luckily, is very much a minority attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You don’t have to cram onto a plane with 200 other people for a few hours to go on holidays in Ireland. You also won’t be mingling with people from all over Europe. The gov guidelines are pretty clear. There’s no logic to your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm sure there's many counties in Ireland that have seen 0 new infections in many days if not weeks.

If you were a business owner, pub, B&B etc. in Sligo with almost no Covid19 and none in small towns, would you want a group of families from Dublin where there's thousands of infections, coming down to stay for a week or two? I think not!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's many counties in Ireland that have seen 0 new infections in many days if not weeks.

If you were a business owner, pub, B&B etc. in Sligo with almost no Covid19 and none in small towns, would you want a group of families from Dublin where there's thousands of infections, coming down to stay for a week or two? I think not!

Point of order, this post above is bull. There's not even thousands of active cases in the country, let alone Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

You are as much at risk going to Tesco here or getting your €9 sambo and pint for 105 minutes as you are going on your holibobs for a bit of Sun.

This notion of not going anywhere is absolutely insane. I travel for work - I have been out of the country 14 times since this all kicked off and with appropriate precautions I have been COVID-19 free.

The world must go on - in a sensible manner, taking the appropriate actions when needed in terms of good hand hygiene, masks, and not licking each other as we randomly queue for things.

• Advertisement

Point of order, this post above is bull. There's not even thousands of active cases in the country, let alone Dublin.

Point of order, I never said active, I was using Dublin and Sligo to illustrate a point that Dublin has had close on 15,000 cases where as Sligo has had maybe 100, this is taken off the graphs on Gov.ie
    And further to my point would someone from Sligo want the risk of groups of people from Dublin bringing the Virus back into their county?

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don’t have to cram onto a plane with 200 other people for a few hours to go on holidays in Ireland. You also won’t be mingling with people from all over Europe. The gov guidelines are pretty clear. There’s no logic to your post.

there wont be anywhere near 200 on a plane and even if there was everyone will be wearing a mask, flights will be lucky to be half full, if you go to a popular holiday town in Ireland which will be far busier than usual you'll also be mingling with tourists from all over in addition to people from all over Ireland as opposed to a holiday resort in Spain which will only be half full.

Are you one of these people who actually believe everything the government say and do is totally truthful and right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

jonnny68 wrote: »
    there wont be anywhere near 200 on a plane and even if there was everyone will be wearing a mask, flights will be lucky to be half full, if you go to a popular holiday town in Ireland which will be far busier than usual you'll also be mingling with tourists from all over in addition to people from all over Ireland as opposed to a holiday resort in Spain which will only be half full.

Are you one of these people who actually believe everything the government say and do is totally truthful and right ?

Unfortunately It feels like the Charlie Haughey moment of telling us about living beyond our means whilst he did the total opposite. Politicians and experts have opinions along with facts and they aren't always correct. The CMO may be correct but who verifies his ideas and statements? Why is he so different in his views to other EU CMOs?

Point of order, I never said active, I was using Dublin and Sligo to illustrate a point that Dublin has had close on 15,000 cases where as Sligo has had maybe 100, this is taken off the graphs on Gov.ie
    And further to my point would someone from Sligo want the risk of groups of people from Dublin bringing the Virus back into their county?

You were letting facts get in the way of your own ignorant point about businesses in Sligo not wanting people from Dublin to come down and spend money there. You know it's still an option for the businesses that don't want to open to stay closed? Not sure why you have authority to speak for all of them, unless you are the Sligo small business association representative, in which case, fair enough.

You were letting facts get in the way of your own ignorant point about businesses in Sligo not wanting people from Dublin to come down and spend money there. You know it's still an option for the businesses that don't want to open to stay closed? Not sure why you have authority to speak for all of them, unless you are the Sligo small business association representative, in which case, fair enough.

My opinion is no less correct that yours. Don't need your personal interpretation of what I type here.

My opinion is no less correct that yours. Don't need your personal interpretation of what I type here.

I take my interpretation from the official data which is published, not some gutter rag like the Indo as you seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Some of you are imagining this:

brighton-beach.jpg

While the reality is this:

benidorm.jpg

Top one is Brighton on the recent UK bank holiday

Bottom one is a screenshot from a live webcam in Benidorm at 12.40pm local time today (I dont go there but chose it specifically because it's a British/Irish "hotspot" for mass tourism). live link here: https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/comunidad-valenciana/alicante/benidorm-playa-poniente-sur.html

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

A sample of some of the keen travellers departing from Dublin airport yesterday morning.

02:50 - 04:50
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21796568

This is like Florida in mid March. We'll be back to triple digit new daily cases by mid August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So leo has made a comment on travel.
    Looks like a sub committee is too meet in the next few days and a decision will be made as to what countries will be on the green list.
    If a country is not on the green list the two week qurantine will apply.
    He stated the government plans to publish the green list on the 9th of July .
    He also stated that the qurantine will not be a long term solution as it's too difficult to inforced.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Unfortunately It feels like the Charlie Haughey moment of telling us about living beyond our means whilst he did the total opposite. Politicians and experts have opinions along with facts and they aren't always correct. The CMO may be correct but who verifies his ideas and statements? Why is he so different in his views to other EU CMOs?

Haughey was a total rogue i remember him well as a young lad, the more sceptical of us might think there was an agenda here where the government want people to holiday at home so they'll be spending money in the economy, maybe , maybe not, but to suggest a blanket ban on all foreign travel is ludicrous, and the ramifications from this as in job losses,etc,etc will be huge.

Life goes on, we need to learn to live with this until such time a vaccine is available, take the necessary precautions ,allow travel to and from countries with a low rate of covid -19 and review it every other week.

• Advertisement

atahuapla wrote: »
    A sample of some of the keen travellers departing from Dublin airport yesterday morning.

This is like Florida in mid March. We'll be back to triple digit new daily cases by mid August.

Even a stopped clock tells the correct time twice per day. I wonder did you have the same feeling when lockdown started and people were panic buying in the supermarkets? Or when we had the June bank holiday with the BLM protests and stories of beaches, parks, gardens filled with people? At some point, you need to let this irrational fear go.

atahuapla wrote: »

can you let me know the lotto numbers for this Friday as well seen as you can predict the future.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Your decisions could have a direct impact on others that have decided to follow the health guidelines. So yeah you should be called out.

Sure and I could run over a pedestrian on my way up to the airport perhaps.

Hell, I probably could fall down my stairs tomorrow morning and break my neck.

I'm choosing not to live my life in fear . I'll be going abroad with my family for a well-earned holiday and I honestly couldn't give 2 fcuks what you or Dr Tony think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

ZX7R wrote: »
    Looks like a sub committee is too meet in the next few days and a decision will be made as to what countries will be on the green list.
    He also stated that the qurantine will not be a long term solution as it's too difficult to inforced.

It takes the former Taoiseach to stick his head up above the parapet to at least make a comment on a main headline item for the past few days. Has Michael Martin been seen or heard in the past few days - very conspicuous by his absence. Leadership sorely lacking and not a great start IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It takes the former Taoiseach to stick his head up above the parapet to at least make a comment on a main headline item for the past few days. Has Michael Martin been seen or heard in the past few days - very conspicuous by his absence. Leadership sorely lacking and not a great start IMO

Unfortunately that's what happens when you change over the government.
    He's likely very busy settling all the people in the right jobs, ensuring correct geographical distribution of the minister/department bon-bons + keeping the right parish pumps primed.

After that, will be a whole load of new ministers in who will need time to get up to speed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

This was inevitable once the UK made its decision to abandon quarantine.
    The Irish administration has probably known this was coming down the tracks for the last couple of days and perhaps it was decided that Leo would be the best person to signal it to avoid any confrontation between the CMO and the new minister/Taoiseach.
    Hopefully when the new recommendations are announced, all those on here who depend on the "Govt/Tony says..." logic, will remain consistent to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's what happens when you change over the government.
    He's likely very busy settling all the people in the right jobs, ensuring correct geographical distribution of the minister/department bon-bons + keeping the right parish pumps primed.

After that, will be a whole load of new ministers in who will need time to get up to speed as well.

Maybe, but Simon Coveney has remained as the Foreign Affairs Minister and it's he who issues the govt travel guidance. If he's not up to speed on his brief, God help us. He's also gone to ground. I'm sure they're being bombarded with all sides of the argument but at least grow a pair and make some sort of decision rather than say nothing. There has to be a compromise but it's Joe Soap and his family that are being left in the middle ground. I clearly see both sides of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

MadYaker wrote: »

Just mingle in Ireland with iraqi's back off holidays or bulgarian fruit pickers or brazilian meat packers

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Maybe, but Simon Coveney has remained as the Foreign Affairs Minister and it's he who issues the govt travel guidance. If he's not up to speed on his brief, God help us. He's also gone to ground. I'm sure they're being bombarded with all sides of the argument but at least grow a pair and make some sort of decision rather than say nothing. There has to be a compromise but it's Joe Soap and his family that are being left in the middle ground. I clearly see both sides of the argument.

The post I responded to was about Michael Martin, not the other ministers.
    Posted this opinion already but I think the government (not the new one, prior one also) is afraid to grasp the nettle on issue of travel/borders.
    Part of it might be fear of angering the US/UK or any other countries who might be on a sort of "black-list" (like the EU one) or have restrictions put on them. Maybe it's also tough to do and organise at the airports I suppose (new systems, more staff?). So they stick to an very lightly enforced blanket 14 day quarantine system with (afair) no real legal structure behind it. It was okay while a lot of travel was shut down elsewhere in Europe but probably not sustainable now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Bar the last line, he said all of this last Thursday.

The green list comes out on July 9th and is reviewed every two weeks after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement