Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'll sponsor a holiday for ya, cargo flight leaving for Greenland tomorrow, get packing...

I think that's yours. Hear its lovely overthere Enjoy ;)

I know someone who traveled all over Europe last Summer and never caught so much as a bad cup of tea, how would you say that happened?

Then there was this lot :rolleyes:
    Flight into Dublin Airport linked to 59 Covid-19 cases

The report into the flight case states: “This outbreak demonstrates the potential for spread of SARS-CoV-2 linked to air travel...despite low flight occupancy and lack of passenger proximity onboard.

“Exposure possibilities for flight cases include in-flight, during overnight transfer/pre-flight or unknown acquisition before the flight.

“The incubation period for Covid-19 may be as short as two days, so the potential for in-flight/airport transmission exists in this outbreak.” 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070591.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I know someone who traveled all over Europe last Summer and never caught so much as a bad cup of tea, how would you say that happened?

Tenzor, you seem to have a strong dislike for being in Ireland. Is there any reason why you didn't move years ago?

If you travel now, do you have any real reason why you want to come back? Some people like to put obstacles, imagined or real, in their own way because it gives them a justification for not trying.

You could turn your travel plans into a one-way trip. That might do you a lot more good than whatever a short term holiday flight might get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

gozunda wrote: »

haha! Oh not this one again, the only case where everyone was fully traced tested and reported to the responsible EU agency, it's used to justify everything from forced detention camps for passengers to closing all the ports....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Tenzor, you seem to have a strong dislike for being in Ireland. Is there any reason why you didn't move years ago?

If you travel now, do you have any real reason why you want to come back? Some people like to put obstacles, imagined or real, in their own way because it gives them a justification for not trying.

You could turn your travel plans into a one-way trip. That might do you a lot more good than whatever a short term holiday flight might get you.

A lot of people are thinking that way. Including MNEs and the people working for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

The most famous flight in history!

If you travel now, do you have any real reason why you want to come back? Some people like to put obstacles, imagined or real, in their own way because it gives them a justification for not trying.You could turn your travel plans into a one-way trip. That might do you a lot more good than whatever a short term holiday flight might get you.

Whether I like Ireland is neither here or there to you, so as they say MYOB..

A week or two weeks break to the Sun is very beneficial to someones mental and physical health than sat at home making the same worn out comments on a boards forum that you hear from NPHET constantly... Don't feel like you have to reply, honestly I couldn't care less what your opinion is and I trust my own experience more so than any faceless commentator...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

copeyhagen wrote: »
    my folks are back in Southern Spain a few weeks and its not too bad, i think pubs and restaurants are closing ow at 6.30ish for the night ,whereas it was 6.30 to 8.00 then back open until 2 weeks ago.

whats your problem wth people going on holidays? I 100% NEED a break or im going to go insane very soon.

if people provide a negative test to wherever they go, and provide a negative test upon arriving home, then whats the bloody problem?

my parents are down there since October in our place and have said its very quiet but enjoyable. Theyve met friends there who were meant to come home end of this month but with everything going on in the media and the shaming theyve decided to stay on till after easter. Im meant to be going down end of March.

This says otherwise and is more up to date.
    “From 4 February 2021, a legal requirement to quarantine has been introduced for all passengers arriving in Ireland. Only very limited categories of passengers can be exempt from this legal requirement.” https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/general-covid-19-travel-advisory/
    dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Followed the link, and the subsequent links on that page, and I must say, it's all wishy washy. I can't find any reference to a ban on non essential travel, only advisories;

There is a Government Advisory in operation against all non-essential international travel

Plenty of references to the UK and Brazil but not much else.

I’m quoting my post for you to read again. It’s very clear.

haha! Oh not this one again, the only case where everyone was fully traced tested and reported to the responsible EU agency, it's used to justify everything from forced detention camps for passengers to closing all the ports....

So your one anecdotal story of someone you know (wink wink) who traveled all over Europe (despite restrictions) and you claim was fine trumps a verified report on the risks of infection from air travel. Grand so!
    The report into the flight case states: “This outbreak demonstrates the potential for spread of SARS-CoV-2 linked to air travel.

Well done Tenzor. You've excelled there again. God forbid we should listen to the experts. Definitely better to trust your own anecdotal stories ...

I don't know what you'd do if travel for holiday or other leisure purposes was actually illegal like the UK. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Whether I like Ireland is neither here or there to you, so as they say MYOB..

A week or two weeks break to the Sun is very beneficial to someones mental and physical health than sat at home making the same worn out comments on a boards forum that you hear from NPHET constantly... Don't feel like you have to reply, honestly I couldn't care less what your opinion is and I trust my own experience more so than any faceless commentator...

I'm just trying to understand the mentality of the people who feel they will die without a two week trip to Spain. I'm a bit too old for all this "snowflake" thing that you keep hearing about. I'd be more of a "if it is broke, try to fix it" kind of person.

You should consider travel, but to live and work in a place. It really does broaden the mind. It might help your mental health if you need that. You physical health is fairly agnostic to location for most people (barring some really specific diseases ... and if you had them you'd want to move permanently to a better climate anyway)

If you had that experience, you might see the 2-week trip to the Canaries in a different light. You might not value it as such an exceptional thing then. Same goes for anyone who seems to place such value on it. It might lead to a different sort of debate on here in relation to people justifying breaking restrictions.

Plan your travel. If it is safe and within rules to go when the time comes around, then go. If not, then don't. No big deal. It shouldn't be the end of the world

So your one anecdotal story of someone you know (wink wink) who traveled all over Europe (despite restrictions) and you claim was fine trumps a verified report on the risks of infection from air travel. Grand so! Well done Tenzor. You've excelled there again. God forbid we should listen to the experts. Definitely better to trust your own experience ...I don't know what you'd do if travel for holiday or other leisure purposes was actually illegal like the UK. :rolleyes:

Sorry, fell asleep... did you say something new or just posted some links to browbeat anyone who's listening?

Who you think I'd trust, someone who has traveled a lot in 2020 or someone that sat at home glued to RTE news?

I'm just trying to understand the mentality of the people who feel they will die without a two week trip to Spain. I'm a bit too old for all this "snowflake" thing that you keep hearing about. I'd be more of a "if it is broke, try to fix it" kind of person.
    You should consider travel, but to live and work in a place. It really does broaden the mind. It might help your mental health if you need that. You physical health is fairly agnostic to location for most people (barring some really specific diseases ... and if you had them you'd want to move permanently to a better climate anyway)
    If you had that experience, you might see the 2-week trip to the Canaries in a different light. You might not value it as such an exceptional thing then. Same goes for anyone who seems to place such value on it. It might lead to a different sort of debate on here in relation to people justifying breaking restrictions.
    Plan your travel. If it is safe and within rules to go when the time comes around, then go. If not, then don't. No big deal. It shouldn't be the end of the world

If you don't understand it you never will, you don't have to accept it either it's your prerogative...
    There's enough reporters and camera crews and Gardai up the the Airports to raise the stress levels of those sat at home just thirsty to be outraged about something and vent their frustrations...

And thanks for the advice, I'll cope somehow..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Agree with a lot of that but wanted to add that there's also huge frustration with they types who feel if you do travel (or want to) then you're endangering mankind in it's entirety - there was some (much lower than normal) holiday travel last summer and there was no notable deterioration in the numbers, the same can not be said about when we all stayed home around Christmas.

I do hope to travel later this year but am realistic that it may not be an option, I also can't see the quarantine requirements lasting too long, it would have been much more effective in the early days rather than now.

Sorry, fell asleep... did you say something new or just posted some links to browbeat anyone who's listening?

Who you think I'd trust, someone who has traveled a lot in 2020 or someone that sat at home glued to RTE news?

Lol. Ooch. But nope. Just a reply to the last nonsensical comment.

No I would not trust someone who claims they've 'travelled a lot" in 2020. I'd also be giving them a very wide berth.

As for Verified reports. Yup true. I would trust them. Especially over some daft personal anecdotes by "faceless commentators"

Do you really believe the current restrictions are all a big conspiracy or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I know of a case over last summer where people went to Cyprus (on our green list at the time) and came back with the virus and spread it... How would you propose to stop this happening?

Apart from the fact they could pick up the virus anywhere, they'd now be required to get a pre-departure test which they weren't at that time.

If you don't understand it you never will, you don't have to accept it either it's your prerogative...
    There's enough reporters and camera crews and Gardai up the the Airports to raise the stress levels of those sat at home just thirsty to be outraged about something and vent their frustrations...

You should take it. It might do you good to go somewhere for a few years. Start planning now and be ready to move when the pandemic is over. You will understand if/when you get that experience. It might just be the novelty that had you so unreasonable now. It's like when a kid is 15 and they think their world is over because their parent won't let them go to the local disco with their buddies. It's the most important thing to them at that point in their life. I suspect that your obsession with a week away is something similar with yourself. If you experience more, then you'll realise it's not actually that big of a thing. No more than that underage disco would be now.

Save your travel money up now and know that you are putting it towards making a move later. That should also help to distract you from some of the whatever it is they call it now - the snowflake stuff mental anguish kind of thing

And they only brought mandatory testing pre departure a few weeks ago.

That would massively reduce the % even more. Travel is simply being put out as the bogeyman when it clearly isn't.

What? No they didn't. You don't need a pcr test to leave the country. You need one to enter.

No country requires testing to leave. They need then to enter and Spain has needed them since November I believe but we have managed to avoid it as we were green

bladespin wrote: »
    Agree with a lot of that but wanted to add that there's also huge frustration with they types who feel if you do travel (or want to) then you're endangering mankind in it's entirety

There's been more attention and vilification of an elderly couple who traveled to Gran Canaria than to the alleged head of the Kinahan crime/drug cartel! That's the level we're at folks...
    The numbers traveling are so minute that it's hardly worth the attention of our national broadcaster to send camera crews up to pounce on travelers...

You should take it. It might do you good to go somewhere for a few years. Start planning now and be ready to move when the pandemic is over. You will understand if/when you get that experience. It might just be the novelty that had you so unreasonable now. It's like when a kid is 15 and they think their world is over because their parent won't let them go to the local disco with their buddies. It's the most important thing to them at that point in their life. I suspect that your obsession with a week away is something similar with yourself. If you experience more, then you'll realise it's not actually that big of a thing. No more than that underage disco would be now.
    Save your travel money up now and know that you are putting it towards making a move later. That should also help to distract you from some of the whatever it is they call it now - the snowflake stuff mental anguish kind of thing

What are you on about? Tripe of the day!

Daydreaming out loud again... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Is it not fair to say that if Covid cases are as low as being reported ( this famous 1%) as a result of travel that's only because the. numbers travelling are so low. If you had the same volume of people travelling pre March 2020 then the number of Covid cases would rise hugely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

What? No they didn't. You don't need a pcr test to leave the country. You need one to enter.

No country requires testing to leave. They need then to enter and Spain has needed them since November I believe but we have managed to avoid it as we were green

I mean they weren't required to get a PCR before coming back to Ireland from Cyprus last summer.
    They would be now.

Are people really this naive?
    Do they honestly think that restricting travel is so they don't catch covid?

Its very simple guys, restricting travel, anywhere, in the country or outside the country is about containing the virus. No travel means the virus doesn't travel.

Just because Mary & Joe up the road went on holiday & didn't catch anything, does not make it OK to break the law.
    Do people feel this easy about breaking other laws?

Yeah, it's sh1t, we all need our holidays, but if the whole world had of shut down last March for a month or two, zero travel, we would be out of this by now.

Lol. Ooch. But nope. Just a reply to the last nonsensical comment. No I would not trust someone who claims they've 'travelled a lot" in 2020. I'd also be giving them a very wide berth.
    As for Verified reports. Yup true. I would trust them. Especially over some daft personal anecdotes by "faceless commentators"
    Do you really believe the current restrictions are all a big conspiracy or something?

I tend to trust what people who have direct experience of Travel more so than someone who sits at home looking at what the man on the telly says and comes onto message forums saying the same stuff over and over looking for an argument...if you've a new counterpoint to say then by all means i'll reply, if not then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

You'll cope?
    I doubt it,the sort of person who prattles on about on about their mental health crumbling because they can't go to Lanzarote doesn't cope well.

Mod: One day forum ban applied

HBC08 wrote: »
    You'll cope?
    I doubt it,the sort of person who prattles on about on about their mental health crumbling because they can't go to Lanzarote doesn't cope well.

You don't have a clue about me or how anyone else on boards feels about their own mental health, and please don't feel like you have to share your inner thoughts on it as it benefits no one.

I tend to trust what people who have direct experience of Travel more so than someone who sits at home looking at what the man on the telly says and comes onto message forums saying the same stuff over and over looking for an argument...if you've a new counterpoint to say then by all means i'll reply, if not then.....

Nope. Still not reading what was written?

Let's look at that again.

You held up one anecdotal story of someone you claimed travelled a lot all over Europe - to help push the Idea that travel abroad is grand

And I replied to that quoting a study which found that:
    The report into the flight case states: “This outbreak demonstrates the potential for spread of SARS-CoV-2 linked to air travel.

So unless "the man on the telly" owns Eurosurveillance.org and the Irish examiner who reported on that report then you're talking rubbish again.

The fact that the above even had to be repeated more than once says it all tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 EllieVH

My daughter is 2. She hasn't seen her grandparents since last September, as they are not Irish. She is growing and turning into a beautiful lady, except without her grandparents. We would normally see them every 2 months.

My parents are getting old and my grandparents are getting even older.

I believe seeing family is not considered essential, but everyday I cry and my heart breaks when I look at the news.

I'm setting aside money every week so I can afford the three tests (each) needed and a bit more in case I get fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Nope. Still not reading what was written?

Let's look at that again.

You held up one anecdotal story of someone you claimed travelled a lot all over Europe - as proof positive that travel abroad is grand

And I replied to that rather daft notion quoting a study which found that:

So unless "the man on the telly" owns Eurosurveillance.org and the Irish examiner who reported on that report then you're talking rubbish again.

The fact that the above even had to be repeated more than once says it all tbf.

your post makes no sense. is your point that air travel could pose a threat to the spread of covid? doesnt really hold water when its already been said that it accounts for less than 1% of cases.

not sure what your arguing about here.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    Yeah you don't get to spout the rubbish you do on these threads and then hop on the moral high ground when it suits.

I don't see "moderator" beside your name?

If you want to attack me directly then I can tell you where to send that to. Otherwise start playing the ball and not the player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement