Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

copeyhagen wrote: »
    your post makes no sense. is your point that air travel could pose a threat to the spread of covid? doesnt really hold water when its already been said that it accounts for less than 1% of cases.
    not sure what your arguing about here.

Well yours certainly doesn't and I'm not sure what you're arguing about at all.

This:
    This outbreak demonstrates the potential for spread of SARS-CoV-2 linked to air travel. ...

Is from here.
    https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.42.2001624

Take a read if you are interested.

I'd also suggest maybe go back and read the the full exchange before charging in full throttle with your one percent. Maybe start a thread on that separate topic with some proper references with rather than something ething like "its already been said." ...

EllieVH wrote: »
    My daughter is 2. She hasn't seen her grandparents since last September, as they are not Irish. She is growing and turning into a beautiful lady, except without her grandparents. We would normally see them every 2 months.

My parents are getting old and my grandparents are getting even older.

I believe seeing family is not considered essential, but everyday I cry and my heart breaks when I look at the news.

I'm setting aside money every week so I can afford the three tests (each) needed and a bit more in case I get fined.

Do you connect with your parents and grandparents online with face time or Skype etc? Maybe a good idea to set up a weekly call where your daughter can both see and communicate with them. And I know its not the same thing- however even if they were next door to you - the advice pretty much everywhere is that older people are more vulnerable to covid due to a lower immune system with age and that they need to be very careful with regard to an infection that many young children seem to shake off.

Once the vaccines are fully rolled out for older people - then things will change for the better and for older and vulnerable people especially.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My daughter is 2. She hasn't seen her grandparents since last September, as they are not Irish. She is growing and turning into a beautiful lady, except without her grandparents. We would normally see them every 2 months.

I believe seeing family is not considered essential, but everyday I cry and my heart breaks when I look at the news.

I'm setting aside money every week so I can afford the three tests (each) needed and a bit more in case I get fined.

These stories are heartbreaking and need to be shared. I lost 2 family members during the two previous lockdowns, unrelated to Covid. In lockdown 1 my uncle died and I wasn't permitted in his county let alone his funeral. My mother, his only sister, also couldn't be there. His son, who lives in the UK, wasn't at the funeral. His son suffered mental health issues for most of 2020 as a result of it.

My grandmother died in lockdown 2. I hadn't seen here since Covid hit but I wasn't missing her funeral this time round. (25 were permitted rather than the 10 of lockdown 1). The family still hasn't had full closure with her passing as other than the church, there was no social activity for family members to console each other, share stories etc.

I think about this and other people who have family in need. No vaccine, cure or platitude riddled speech from NPHET or the government is going to give any of this loss back to me.

I believe more than ever that there are circumstances where seeing family should be considered essential that isn't just limited to family that are seriously ill or dying. No FaceTime or zoom call in the world will ever replace the human need for in person contact. Science has shown us that.

If you and your family are suffering as a result of not seeing each other than I do think, obviously personally speaking, that there comes a point when it becomes essential travel. There are certainly precautions that can be taken to minimise risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Most people are doing their bit to try to get us back to a stage where you could go and organise that visit.

Unfortunately, even though they might be in a minority overall (not exactly a minority on here though) there are sufficient numbers of selfish people that will try to flout and bypass restrictions and they will cause this disruption for you and your family to be prolonged.

I assume that you are very upset about the people jetting off to Tenerife on fake letters. Or those on here encouraging others to travel elsewhere. Most people are trying their best to get us back to some sense of normality. It is just unfortunate that those selfish people are slowing down that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Most people are doing their bit to try to get us back to a stage where you could go and organise that visit.

Unfortunately, even though they might be in a minority overall (not exactly a minority on here though) there are sufficient numbers of selfish people that will try to flout and bypass restrictions and they will cause this disruption for you and your family to be prolonged.

I assume that you are very upset about the people jetting off to Tenerife on fake letters. Or those on here encouraging others to travel elsewhere. Most people are trying their best to get us back to some sense of normality. It is just unfortunate that those selfish people are slowing down that process.

I myself am jetting off soon for essential travel, it is essential because of what has happened to Ireland since late October. Next week I'll be in warm weather enjoying a taste of freedom, I can sit down and drink a cup of coffee, I can drive without being accosted by the Gardai, I can drink a beer or attend a nightclub. I look forward to normal life again, I am in effect a covid refugee running from Covid tyranny in Ireland.

We are not all in it together, I do my thing and everyone else can stay home like sheep if they will, it won't change one thing but might give some a kick from their victim complex misery disorder of how they are right and everyone should endure hardship like an idiot. Thank god to be able escape this frozen, wet regime of oppression, depression and tyranny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

theguzman wrote: »
    I myself am jetting off soon for essential travel, it is essential because of what has happened to Ireland since late October. Next week I'll be in warm weather enjoying a taste of freedom, I can sit down and drink a cup of coffee, I can drive without being accosted by the Gardai, I can drink a beer or attend a nightclub. I look forward to normal life again, I am in effect a covid refugee running from Covid tyranny in Ireland..

Where you off to, Mexico? Sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I myself am jetting off soon for essential travel, it is essential because of what has happened to Ireland since late October. Next week I'll be in warm weather enjoying a taste of freedom, I can sit down and drink a cup of coffee, I can drive without being accosted by the Gardai, I can drink a beer or attend a nightclub. I look forward to normal life again, I am in effect a covid refugee running from Covid tyranny in Ireland.

We are not all in it together, I do my thing and everyone else can stay home like sheep if they will, it won't change one thing but might give some a kick from their victim complex misery disorder of how they are right and everyone should endure hardship like an idiot. Thank god to be able escape this frozen, wet regime of oppression, depression and tyranny.

Any chance you could do us all a favour and stay over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I assume that your wife didn’t manage to get on the flight from Brazil.

faceman wrote: »
    These stories are heartbreaking and need to be shared. I lost 2 family members during the two previous lockdowns, unrelated to Covid. In lockdown 1 my uncle died and I wasn't permitted in his county let alone his funeral. My mother, his only sister, also couldn't be there. His son, who lives in the UK, wasn't at the funeral. His son suffered mental health issues for most of 2020 as a result of it.

My grandmother died in lockdown 2. I hadn't seen here since Covid hit but I wasn't missing her funeral this time round. (25 were permitted rather than the 10 of lockdown 1). The family still hasn't had full closure with her passing as other than the church, there was no social activity for family members to console each other, share stories etc.

I think about this and other people who have family in need. No vaccine, cure or platitude riddled speech from NPHET or the government is going to give any of this loss back to me.

I believe more than ever that there are circumstances where seeing family should be considered essential that isn't just limited to family that are seriously ill or dying. No FaceTime or zoom call in the world will ever replace the human need for in person contact. Science has shown us that.

If you and your family are suffering as a result of not seeing each other than I do think, obviously personally speaking, that there comes a point when it becomes essential travel. There are certainly precautions that can be taken to minimise risk.

With the deepest respect for your personal bereavements and going by some recent newspaper accounts - I suspect many of our own travelling community and indeed others would agree with your sentiments on travel with regard to funerals.

It remains however that large family gatherings at funerals are indeed a cause for concern with regard to risk of infection.

No one is suggesting FaceTime or zoom call in the world will ever "replace" the human need for in person contact. But we have to do what we must in order to protect the living. Especially those who are older and the more vulnerable people unless we ignore that if we dont - there will be even more deaths and heartbreak ...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 EllieVH

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you connect with your parents and grandparents online with face time or Skype etc? Maybe a good idea to set up a weekly call where your daughter can both see and communicate with them. And I know its not the same thing- however even if they were next door to you - the advice pretty much everywhere is that older people are more vulnerable to covid due to a lower immune system with age and that they need to be very careful with regard to an infection that many young children seem to shake off.

Once the vaccines are fully rolled out for older people - then things will change for the better and for older and vulnerable people especially.

Yes: we speak on messenger often but it is absolutely not the same. More than adults, children use all of the five senses to communicate and the touch of the people we love is even more essential to her for her owb development.

My parents are vaccinated so there would be no issue on that side and we don't plan to go to massive gatherings or to go to the pub every night.

I just feel that legislation should allow for family visits. (Obviously in Ireland, too)

To be completely honest, I have stopped lookingll at what other people are doing: I just assume that the majority of people who are flaunting the rules do that because they have reached their own personal limit.

• Advertisement

Yes: we speak on messenger often but it is absolutely not the same. More than adults, children use all of the five senses to communicate and the touch of the people we love is even more essential to her for her owb development.

My parents are vaccinated so there would be no issue on that side and we don't plan to go to massive gatherings or to go to the pub every night.

I just feel that legislation should allow for family visits. (Obviously in Ireland, too)

Thanks for the reply btw. On vaccination - being vaccinated doesn't mean that a person can't get Covid. It simply means that if (on the off chance) they do contract covid - they is a greater liklihood that they will experience a less severe form of the disease and /or are less likley be hospitalised dependent on age and any underlying conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

That is what vaccination is not about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

In other words, f**k the rest of you, I'm gonna do what I want.

Is this Eric Cartman?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 EllieVH

Thanks for the reply btw. On vaccination - being vaccinated doesn't mean that a person can't get Covid. It simply means that if they do contract covid - they is a greater liklihood that they will experience a less severe form of the disease and /or are less likley be hospitalised dependent on age and any underlying conditions.

From the hse website: "After having both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, most people will be protected against the virus.

There is a small chance you might still get COVID-19 after vaccination. Even if you do get COVID-19, being vaccinated can reduce how serious your symptoms will be."

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/immunity-covid-19-vaccine.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Whether I like Ireland is neither here or there to you, so as they say MYOB..

A week or two weeks break to the Sun is very beneficial to someones mental and physical health than sat at home making the same worn out comments on a boards forum that you hear from NPHET constantly... Don't feel like you have to reply, honestly I couldn't care less what your opinion is and I trust my own experience more so than any faceless commentator...

i must say I'm enjoying witnessing ireland turn into a larger scale version of the island from the wicker man and all the hysteria and paranoia that's coming with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

That sounds like essential travel to me. Have a great trip! I'll be doing the same in a few months, all booked and ready to go.

From the hse website: "After having both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, most people will be protected against the virus.

There is a small chance you might still get COVID-19 after vaccination. Even if you do get COVID-19, being vaccinated can reduce how serious your symptoms will be."

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/immunity-covid-19-vaccine.html

From this:

4x8l9k.jpg

The paraphrasing in the last comment is mine btw. And yes the risk is low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

ypres5 wrote: »
    i must say I'm enjoying witnessing ireland turn into a larger scale version of the island from the wicker man and all the hysteria and paranoia that's coming with it
    Ireland is turning into a version of East Germany. The old Stasi guys would be impressed with all the curtain twitching and informing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

fisgon wrote: »
    In other words, f**k the rest of you, I'm gonna do what I want.

Is this Eric Cartman?

He said it was essential travel.
    Calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Well yours certainly doesn't and I'm not sure what you're arguing about at all.

This:

Is from here.
    https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.42.2001624

Take a read if you are interested.

I'd also suggest maybe go back and read the the full exchange before charging in full throttle with your one percent. Maybe start a thread on that separate topic with some proper references with rather than something ething like "its already been said." ...

the key word there is potential ffs, catching covid in the supermarket is potentially a risk too.. but both are minescule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I've just realised that I will not spend my golden years in this country. I am used to spending 6-8 weeks away each year with a mixture of work and leisure travel. I now know these times spent in warmer climes is what keeps me going.
    If I truly examine my reasons why I live here now it's purely down to family. My parents as well as my wife's are elderly.

January and February are actually hostile months in Ireland weather wise. I just crave warm weather which is hard to come by even in summer here a lot of the time.

I do love Ireland in many ways but I get the feeling coming home for a few weeks a year would be enough when/if the covid situation abates.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Its official, I've booked tonight to reside long term in Majorca from the 1st of July until September or even in October. I think Spain will be in a much better situation by those dates. Normality will return in Spain and people will be much happier for it.

Ireland has a very long road ahead. There is no clear route out of these restrictions until the vaccine is rolled out across the population. Which is going to take a long time.

I'm still going to Lanzarote on the 18th of April for two weeks (unless Aer Lingus cancel the flights)

Some of the attitudes here turn a pro travel person like myself against.

issue a fine to every single person who claims their travel is essential for their mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Nope. If anything we should all form a line of cars along Dublin airport fence in salute to those heading away for a break, beep our horns and clap.

Would be a great FU to the laughing stock of a government and the whole “we’re all in this together let’s clap for essential workers”.

What are the Garda going to do, arrest everyone?

Admittedly this is far fetched, but if 500 people decided they want to go and hike the Wicklow mountains tomorrow or drive to a beach somewhere outside 5K. The number who would actually be fined would be minor. The Garda don’t want to do this , you can see it when they stop you .

It is all smoke and mirrors for those 2 brain dead halfwits that are supposed to be our leaders, having absolutely zero plan for anything. Almost 1 year on and nothing has been improved.

Get off of your high horse telling people to stay at home. You can choose to stay inside and waste your days on this earth all you want. People are at their wits end. And do not give me any garbage about families who have deaths or frontline workers under stress.

That is called life. And we are not being allowed to live it. The pre 2000s Irish people would not have stood for this. No backbone, spineless.

Watch them all change their tune when PUP is pulled

He said it was essential travel.
    Calm down

He said it was essential because "of what happened in Ireland since last October". He didn't give a genuine essential reason for travel other than he wanted to go to a nightclub and not be stopped by Gardai anywhere.......

That is called life. And we are not being allowed to live it. The pre 2000s Irish people would not have stood for this. No backbone, spineless.

I don't know. Seems to me that people today can't cope with not being able to do something for a few months.

They wouldn't have wanted to have been around in decades past when things were actually difficult! People just used to get on with things and coped............ no opportunities in Ireland - well you just made your way to a boat and went to England and did back-breaking work as a navvy.........or got a one-way ticket to America or Australia, not knowing when or if you'd ever come back to see your family again.

Whereas today's generation are lying distraught and in tears in the comfort of their own home, inconsolable they might have to take that 19.99 flight to Santa Ponsa in September rather than in June.... oh the humanity!!!

Not good news on the travel front.
    Eleven cases of the South African Covid-19 variant have been detected in Ireland.

Speaking at this evening's National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) briefing, Dr Cillian de Gascun confirmed the variant was now in the country.

Dr De Gascun, director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory at University College Dublin, said all the cases were from travel and that there was no evidence of community transmission.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/covid-19-11-cases-of-south-african-variant-detected-in-ireland-1077855.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=upday

Nope. If anything we should all form a line of cars along Dublin airport fence in salute to those heading away for a break, beep our horns and clap.

Would be a great FU to the laughing stock of a government and the whole “we’re all in this together let’s clap for essential workers”.

What are the Garda going to do, arrest everyone?

Admittedly this is far fetched, but if 500 people decided they want to go and hike the Wicklow mountains tomorrow or drive to a beach somewhere outside 5K. The number who would actually be fined would be minor. The Garda don’t want to do this , you can see it when they stop you .

It is all smoke and mirrors for those 2 brain dead halfwits that are supposed to be our leaders, having absolutely zero plan for anything. Almost 1 year on and nothing has been improved.

Get off of your high horse telling people to stay at home. You can choose to stay inside and waste your days on this earth all you want. People are at their wits end. And do not give me any garbage about families who have deaths or frontline workers under stress.

Watch them all change their tune when PUP is pulled

I'm pre 2000.

Hundreds of fines are being issued already, another few hundred in the mountains isn't difficult

• Advertisement

There were 3 instances of it in December, which were contained.
    The new cases have all been linked to travel.
    Just to help you understand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement