Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

bubblypop wrote: »
    There were 3 instances of it in December, which were contained.
    The new cases have all been linked to travel.
    Just to help you understand

Makes sense to have a proper EU travel policy. Enforced paid quarantine for all non-EU travel until year end and EU travel corridors to kick in when green is reached. This is proportionate and reflects the many personal and professional links within the EU27.

We have shown a willingness now to put a border with the North the with new fining regime so now is the time to admit defeat on a United Ireland and cut them off completely - create jobs in the process with customs posts etc.

No special concessional regime for GB either - visitors from there should get an extra weeks quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clouron

Hi
    Do you think government will be proactive this summer and ban flights, or compensate travel agents to reimburse ppl for holidays that likely were rolled over from last summer? Are we facing into year 2 of summer guilt trip if one chooses to fly overseas? Things like quarantine, forced employees leave etc.

Curious as to what ppl have done about planned holidays for summer and what travel agents approach will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

GazzaL wrote: »
    That sounds like essential travel to me. Have a great trip! I'll be doing the same in a few months, all booked and ready to go.

Ok, well if he says it is essential, it must be.

Of course that is how we should be organizing all of this; if someone says they have to travel for essential reasons, then we just accept their word, because obviously no one would lie about this. :rolleyes:

Clouron wrote: »
    Hi
    Do you think government will be proactive this summer and ban flights, or compensate travel agents to reimburse ppl for holidays that likely were rolled over from last summer? Are we facing into year 2 of summer guilt trip if one chooses to fly overseas? Things like quarantine, forced employees leave etc.

Curious as to what ppl have done about planned holidays for summer and what travel agents approach will be

They will not ban flights, as it is flights in & out are at a all time low. There will be no compensation.
    I think things will open up somewhat by summer
    Travellers will still need to take tests and isolate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gozunda wrote: »
    With the deepest respect for your personal bereavements and going by some recent newspaper accounts - I suspect many of our own travelling community and indeed others would agree with your sentiments on travel with regard to funerals.

It remains however that large family gatherings at funerals are indeed a cause for concern with regard to risk of infection.

No one is suggesting FaceTime or zoom call in the world will ever "replace" the human need for in person contact. But we have to do what we must in order to protect the living. Especially those who are older and the more vulnerable people unless we ignore that if we dont - there will be even more deaths and heartbreak ...

Its been an issue the world over, and its an area where as a society we haven't taken in to the account the implications. from an Irish perspective for most of the pandemic, weddings were given a higher priority than funerals (more people could attend a wedding than a funeral until only a couple of months ago)

I appreciate what you saying. However I feel that protecting the living goes beyond just protecting the living from Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don't know. Seems to me that people today can't cope with not being able to do something for a few months.

They wouldn't have wanted to have been around in decades past when things were actually difficult! People just used to get on with things and coped............ no opportunities in Ireland - well you just made your way to a boat and went to England and did back-breaking work as a navvy.........or got a one-way ticket to America or Australia, not knowing when or if you'd ever come back to see your family again.

Whereas today's generation are lying distraught and in tears in the comfort of their own home, inconsolable they might have to take that 19.99 flight to Santa Ponsa in September rather than in June.... oh the humanity!!!

Who defines what coping means? Do we set a benchmark as to a minimum level of coping and for those who don't meet it its tough luck? Do politicians or NPHET do it?

Not saying this is your mindset, it is however arguments like this that undermine the impact of mental issues and the day to day struggles people face.

Also dont forget, in those past decades you mention, we also used to send children up chimneys to clean them and put unmarried mothers in laundries.

Btw, this still doesn't mean Im pro-everyone go on a week's holiday to Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nope. If anything we should all form a line of cars along Dublin airport fence in salute to those heading away for a break, beep our horns and clap.
    Would be a great FU to the laughing stock of a government and the whole “we’re all in this together let’s clap for essential workers”.
    What are the Garda going to do, arrest everyone?
    Admittedly this is far fetched, but if 500 people decided they want to go and hike the Wicklow mountains tomorrow or drive to a beach somewhere outside 5K. The number who would actually be fined would be minor. The Garda don’t want to do this , you can see it when they stop you . It is all smoke and mirrors for those 2 brain dead halfwits that are supposed to be our leaders, having absolutely zero plan for anything. Almost 1 year on and nothing has been improved. Get off of your high horse telling people to stay at home. You can choose to stay inside and waste your days on this earth all you want. People are at their wits end. And do not give me any garbage about families who have deaths or frontline workers under stress. That is called life. And we are not being allowed to live it. The pre 2000s Irish people would not have stood for this. No backbone, spineless.
    Watch them all change their tune when PUP is pulled

Yeah that sounds like the thing to do alright ...:rolleyes:

You do realise that Ireland is just one country of many which have restrictions on unnecessary travel due to Covid19? . That in the UK - its actually illegal to travel for holiday or other leisure purposes. That Germany currently does not permit any of its citizens permission to fly here? The list goes on. And yes things have changed and vaccines are now being rolled out. As for the suggestion some kind of half arsed FU gesture to give some type of moral support to those having a tantrum just because they've been asked not to undertake any unnecessary travel? And god forbid we should show any solidarity with frontline workers ...

Yeah give me a break alright.

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah that sounds like the thing to do alright ...:rolleyes:

You do realise that Ireland is just one country of many which have restrictions on unnecessary travel due to Covid19? . That in the UK - its actually illegal to travel for holiday or other leisure purposes. That Germany currently does not permit any of its citizens permission to fly here? The list goes on. As for the suggestion some kind of half arsed FU gesture to give some type of moral support to those having a tantrum just because they've been asked not to undertake any unnecessary travel?

Yeah give me a break alright.

Just to add to this, until very recently Ireland was viewed very negatively in the EU due to the high rates of the virus and dominance of UK strain. Ive seen regular references to "those irish people" who just arrived on a place on forums for Spain. Other countries have singled out Ireland in the media as a bold boy in the EU.

I could show you one thread where an Irish woman travelled to Spain to my neighbourhood for essential reasons for a few weeks and was abused online for it.

Its died down a bit but Ireland's antics in December did the nation no favours whatsoever.

faceman wrote: »
    Just to add to this, until very recently Ireland was viewed very negatively in the EU due to the high rates of the virus and dominance of UK strain. Ive seen regular references to "those irish people" who just arrived on a place on forums for Spain. Other countries have singled out Ireland in the media as a bold boy in the EU.

I could show you one thread where an Irish woman travelled to Spain to my neighbourhood for essential reasons for a few weeks and was abused online for it.

Its died down a bit but Ireland's antics in December did the nation no favours whatsoever.

I don't doubt that tbh. There will always be some who flaunt the rules. Its one of the main reasons that 60% of cases here are now the UK varient and Germany has already banned flights from Ireland.

And it looks we still have 'those' Irish having tantrums about their rights and heading off on to holiday in Spain and elsewhere in the midst of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Some amount of drama queens in this country. Being asked not to go abroad on a sun holiday that could potentially undermine the countries vaccination program, is the dictionary definition of a first world problem. Coddled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Makes sense to have a proper EU travel policy. Enforced paid quarantine for all non-EU travel until year end and EU travel corridors to kick in when green is reached. This is proportionate and reflects the many personal and professional links within the EU27.

We have shown a willingness now to put a border with the North the with new fining regime so now is the time to admit defeat on a United Ireland and cut them off completely - create jobs in the process with customs posts etc.

No special concessional regime for GB either - visitors from there should get an extra weeks quarantine.

Make it two extra weeks for a laugh. And three for those from the north - more if they're from Belfast. Utopia achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would the slip of paper you get when vaccinated count as a vaccination certificate or will something more elaborate be needed to open travel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Some amount of drama queens in this country. Being asked not to go abroad on a sun holiday that could potentially undermine the countries vaccination program, is the dictionary definition of a first world problem. Coddled.
    i would differentiate though between people looking for a spin now in February when the HSE/ NPHET/ Government are dealing with a health system on the limit and extraordinary measures are needed, and others who are thinking more medium term and hopingfor a family holiday during the summer when numbers will be much lower and vaccination of all vulnerable people complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

And part of the issue with Ireland was that our CMO was being quoted everywhere for saying the virus was out of control even after level 5 was in place. Those messages travel. Other countries have had spikes also - Belgium, Portugal, Germany, UK, Czech Republic. Spain has over double our deaths per head of population, UK 2.5 times. Belgium 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Who defines what coping means? Do we set a benchmark as to a minimum level of coping and for those who don't meet it its tough luck? Do politicians or NPHET do it?

Not saying this is your mindset, it is however arguments like this that undermine the impact of mental issues and the day to day struggles people face.

Coping is how you manage with something. Nobody sets a benchmark for coping. NPHET and politicians set the restrictions and then it is up to you to manage. You can't be expecting to be spoon-fed a definition or being hand-held by NPHET to be told whether or not they are coping.

As for the mental health point, there are some amount of chancers abusing that and jumping on the backs of people who have actual issues. How much more difficult is it to provide genuine services for people with real issues when you suddenly have thousands of eejits confusing a little tantrum with "mental health" and demanding that they receive the attention that the genuine cases should be getting

Well what I don't understand then is that your posts here come across as pro-travel and anti-restrictions, yet you know that other countries don't really want Irish people coming because of the way that things are here currently.

Everyone here should be familiar with the way we looked across the water (and up North) at the start of this and were aghast at how people over there (politicians included) were behaving and didn't want them coming over there.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would the slip of paper you get when vaccinated count as a vaccination certificate or will something more elaborate be needed to open travel

The vaccination has a microchip, so just run a scanner over you and you’re grand. This I have on good authority from a retired teacher! I kid you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

I found it interesting that on rte news last night they were trying to push people to book staycations asap as demand is so high for the summer months. I'm happy to take a chance and wait for a last minute flight deal to Spain in August or sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

And part of the issue with Ireland was that our CMO was being quoted everywhere for saying the virus was out of control even after level 5 was in place. Those messages travel. Other countries have had spikes also - Belgium, Portugal, Germany, UK, Czech Republic. Spain has over double our deaths per head of population, UK 2.5 times. Belgium 3 times.

Ah sure maybe all the foreigners just got a bad impression of the country because nearly all of them read this thread on boards.i.e............

In reality, people complain about those that are actually arriving. They know the numbers over here and their own governments are perhaps advising them about the situation here. They likely aren't tuning in for NPHET briefings.
    If you are in a Spanish town and you don't want people coming in, but you see Irish arriving then you are going to complain about those and not Americans or Australians.

We also have fairly tight rules here. So they are getting a bias there in those who are travelling. People who are flouting rules to leave the country here are also the type to likely flout rules where they land on the other side. The destinations are receiving a highly concentrated influx of gobshitery which might ordinarily be diluted by additional travellers less prone to gobshitery.

A bit like the places in Australia that don't want Irish people because there was such a high concentration of arseholes going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Interesting Cillian De Gascun yesterday revealed there are 11 cases of the South African variant in Ireland all related to travel

Guess that shoots down the theory that international travel is safe eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Has anyone actually found any good staycation deals? I had a look earlier and it costs a bomb for the average family of four to stay here for a week.

The time you factor in meals for a family of four people and then travel, hotel cost, entertainment, drinks, day trips. We are literally talking about a cost that would make your head spin.

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    Has anyone actually found any good staycation deals? I had a look earlier and it costs a bomb for the average family of four to stay here for a week.

The time you factor in meals for a family of four people and then travel, hotel cost, entertainment, drinks, day trips. We are literally talking about a cost that would make your head spin.

No change from other years so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Interesting Cillian De Gascun yesterday revealed there are 11 cases of the South African variant in Ireland all related to travel

on the overall picture of things it is safe especially now where majority of countries require you to have a negative test ,coming back to Ireland you need to have a negative test and isolate or take anothe test after 5 days.

you cannot just ban travel indefiniitely,people need to travel for a variety of reasons, and these measures are in place for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Nobody here said international travel is safe....many things we normally do as humans are not safe at the moment. The only argument that I have seen here is that if pre and post travel testing and proper self isolation are enforced here, international travel can be far less risky.

Perhaps those South African cases were discovered because of the post travel testing and were contained because of self isolation?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

RobitTV wrote: »

Depends where you go but no different to previous years, you need to be smart to find something good

Can't find it at the moment but last year you could get 2 weeks in a self catering mobile home in Achil Island in July for 1000, which isn't bad if you split it with another family (could be an option this year)

Nope. If anything we should all form a line of cars along Dublin airport fence in salute to those heading away for a break, beep our horns and clap.

Would be a great FU to the laughing stock of a government and the whole “we’re all in this together let’s clap for essential workers”.

What are the Garda going to do, arrest everyone?

Admittedly this is far fetched, but if 500 people decided they want to go and hike the Wicklow mountains tomorrow or drive to a beach somewhere outside 5K. The number who would actually be fined would be minor. The Garda don’t want to do this , you can see it when they stop you .

It is all smoke and mirrors for those 2 brain dead halfwits that are supposed to be our leaders, having absolutely zero plan for anything. Almost 1 year on and nothing has been improved.

Get off of your high horse telling people to stay at home. You can choose to stay inside and waste your days on this earth all you want. People are at their wits end. And do not give me any garbage about families who have deaths or frontline workers under stress.

That is called life. And we are not being allowed to live it. The pre 2000s Irish people would not have stood for this. No backbone, spineless.

Watch them all change their tune when PUP is pulled

well said agree totally

Nobody here said international travel is safe....many things we normally do as humans are not safe at the moment. The only argument that I have seen here is that if pre and post travel testing and proper self isolation are enforced here, international travel can be far less risky.

Perhaps those South African cases were discovered because of the post travel testing and were contained because of self isolation?

There's people making the claim that 1% if our cases are related to international travel, a fact that gets completely debunked by that case study on a half empty flight that gave us over 50 cases

I agree that I do think that the testing and mandatory isolation is keeping it at bay for now... And in fairness if everybody coming back from their holidays did self quarantine for 14 days it would be safe, the problem is people just won't do it

theguzman wrote: »
    I myself am jetting off soon for essential travel, it is essential because of what has happened to Ireland since late October. Next week I'll be in warm weather enjoying a taste of freedom, I can sit down and drink a cup of coffee, I can drive without being accosted by the Gardai, I can drink a beer or attend a nightclub. I look forward to normal life again, I am in effect a covid refugee running from Covid tyranny in Ireland.

We are not all in it together, I do my thing and everyone else can stay home like sheep if they will, it won't change one thing but might give some a kick from their victim complex misery disorder of how they are right and everyone should endure hardship like an idiot. Thank god to be able escape this frozen, wet regime of oppression, depression and tyranny.

well said and again i agree totally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

People who are flouting rules to leave the country .

I assume the rule being flouted at the moment is the 5km restriction? After all, non essential travel to another country in itself isn't in any way illegal?

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    I assume the rule being flouted at the moment is the 5km restriction? After all, non essential travel to another country in itself isn't in any way illegal?

Correct provided you live within 5km of an airport of course

• Advertisement

There's people making the claim that 1% if our cases are related to international travel, a fact that gets completely debunked by that case study on a half empty flight that gave us over 50 cases

I agree that I do think that the testing and mandatory isolation is keeping it at bay for now... And in fairness if everybody coming back from their holidays did self quarantine for 14 days it would be safe, the problem is people just won't do it

Add to that the fact that the 1% figure is not actually accurate
    “The travel data alone doesn’t give you an accurate enough picture of [travel-related] cases..

A person who travels into Ireland and later tests positive will be defined as a travel-related case based on information provided to Public Health teams. 

So, too, will any person they directly infect that Public Health teams or contact tracers are able to link to the original case. 

However, onward transmission – should it occur – will not be labelled ‘travel-related’...

Only a small number of travel related cases are required to seed a much wider spread of infection. Hence the recent spread of the UK varient here.

No one is against travel being resumed for the future. And yes we could all do with a break. However anyone travelling for holidays or leisure purposes abroad at this point in time really needs their head examined imjo

https://www.thejournal.ie/factfind-do-we-know-the-rate-of-travel-transmission-5337751-Jan2021/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement