Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

RobitTV wrote: »
    Varadkar:

While he hoped there could be some normality in the spring or summer, he said areas like aviation, tourism, entertainment and events “may not reopen for a very long time” and therefore will require more support packages.

Meanwhile Boris Johnson (for all his major blunders) will have UK tourists on European beaches by June and vaccinated!

I wonder how he defines “ a very longtime”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I wonder how he defines “ a very longtime”.

Oh probably 2025 / 2030 - no big deal. We will just have to keep playing our part and sticking to the guidelines. Stay at home and continue to flatten the curve.

"What's another year" :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Oh probably 2025 / 2030 - no big deal. We will just have to keep playing our part and sticking to the guidelines. Stay at home and continue to flatten the curve.

"What's another year" :pac:

Tony Holohan - "The next 2 years are crucial!!!!"

Varadkar:

While he hoped there could be some normality in the spring or summer, he said areas like aviation, tourism, entertainment and events “may not reopen for a very long time” and therefore will require more support packages.

Meanwhile Boris Johnson (for all his major blunders) will have UK tourists on European beaches by June and vaccinated!

The UK will be miles ahead in returning to normality with much less restrictions by the summer.

You might find a lot of young people looking for work and emmigrating to the UK if that happens.

Leo Varadkar has chopped all hopes of getting a hair cut anytime soon.

The Tanaiste confirmed on Thursday that the reopening of barbers and hairdressers will be “definitely be much later” than March 5th, before telling the Irish Mirror he has ordered clippers for himself.

Barbers to reopen in 2025 under the new 'living with covid plan'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

We've had 327/100k cases in the last 14 days.

This is spread fairly evenly across the age groups except 1.

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1359198669887721479

Over 85s are running at 1177/100k; almost 4 times the national average.
    These are the people who die in great numbers.

Do you think the problem here is them travelling, others travelling?

No the problem is that Hospitals and Nursing homes are riddled with covid and our health service seems incapable of stopping that happening.

Travel is just a red herring, a smoke screen.

You'd be surprised really.......what's the average age in that photo?

https://twitter.com/SirCliffNews/status/1357048302940913668?s=20

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Full vaccination is due in the UK by June? What? Where did you see that? Everything I have seen says autumn.

Relooked at my source and you're correct, autumn is the date for the full country. However risk groups will be vaccinated before the summer.

If i was 100 i would have followed him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I actually thought that was a photoshop when I saw it a few weeks ago :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Under existing rules, as per my understanding, you are correct.
    But there could well be impediments might be in the form of quarantines.
    Travel is not explicitly against the current restrictions, leaving your house without reasonable excuse is. I presume that that is because it would be easier to enforce the latter.

Under the mythical "Living with Covid plan" non essential international travel isn't permitted in levels 3 to 5.

• Advertisement

Leo with a huge smirk on his face while discussing the continued closure of the barbers and hairdressers. The arrogance of our elected officials holds no bounds.

I'm glad he is laughing to the bank every month. Shame small and independent business owners can't say the same.

I hope people remember these moments at the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

faceman wrote: »
    Relooked at my source and you're correct, autumn is the date for the full country. However risk groups will be vaccinated before the summer.

is that 1 or 2 doses? Because it looks like its one dose according to the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Leo with a huge smirk on his face while discussing the continued closure of the barbers and hairdressers. The arrogance of our elected officials holds no bounds.

I'm glad he is laughing to the bank every month. Shame small and independent business owners can't say the same.

I hope people remember these moments at the next general election.

I would say majority will, the tide already turned with SF making significant gains and receiving the most first-preference votes in last years GE. Surprised if that doesn't continue in the next GE. MM will be the downfall of FF.

As for the smirk, doesn't surprise me. The majority of politicians don't live in the real world, lots bow down to them, special treatment, large salary, etc.

They pretend to care to get themselves votes and make themselves more popular but majority have no idea what it's like to live either day to day, months salary to salary, etc. All in this together is a myth, always was and majority are coming round to that idea.

I would say majority will, the tide already turned with SF making significant gains and receiving the most first-preference votes in last years GE. Surprised if that doesn't continue in the next GE. MM will be the downfall of FF.

As for the smirk, doesn't surprise me. The majority of politicians don't live in the real world, lots bow down to them, special treatment, large salary, etc.

They pretend to care to get themselves votes and make themselves more popular but majority have no idea what it's like to live either day to day, months salary to salary, etc. All in this together is a myth, always was and majority are coming round to that idea.

if the celtic tiger couldnt end Fianna Fail, only nuclear holocaust can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

So long as the PUP keeps flowing things will stay calm but when that tap is shut off and with a hard border being implemented under the guise of covid it will be only a matter of when and not if before all hell breaks loose around the border and I predict massive protests against the Government over all this yet. The travel thing is an absolute smokescreen for the HSE being managed and run by absolute morons who are well out of their depth with this new illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

if the celtic tiger couldnt end Fianna Fail, only nuclear holocaust can

Demographics destiny will ensure Fianna Fail's days are finished, majority of the covid deaths are FF voters by age profile. FG will take a hit but SF will benefit massively out of this.

theguzman wrote: »
    So long as the PUP keeps flowing things will stay calm but when that tap is shut off and with a hard border being implemented under the guise of covid it will be only a matter of when and not if before all hell breaks loose around the border and I predict massive protests against the Government over all this yet. The travel thing is an absolute smokescreen for the HSE being managed and run by absolute morons who are well out of their depth with this new illness.

why dont you apply yourself, get some schooling, get your foot on the ladder in the HSE and maybe in about 20 years time you might do a better job

Demographics destiny will ensure Fianna Fail's days are finished, majority of the covid deaths are FF voters by age profile. FG will take a hit but SF will benefit massively out of this.

young peeps can't be arsed voting and as they get older, who do you think they vote for?

less than 4000 for the entire country. Wont even impact on a single TD

Correct provided you live within 5km of an airport of course

wrong, absolutely 100% wrong.

Research.

the rule of 5KM is for exercise only. There is no magic 5km bubble of non essential travel

• Advertisement

but Sinn Fein want even tighter restrictions and have even voiced support for Zero Covid!!! They reckon we should have closed down far sooner than we did.https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/covid-19-travel-restrictions-fly-in-face-of-nphet-advice-opposition-says-1070972.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

but Sinn Fein want even tighter restrictions and have even voiced support for Zero Covid!!! They reckon we should have closed down far sooner than we did.

We don't have a genuine "opposition"

We have a party (or parties) that didn't get into government who agree with the ones who are in government.

Its funny when you think of it - we really don't need elections at all. Just rotate them in and out of government every 5 years. They all stand for the same thing anyway.

We genuinely need a few "right of centre" parties to form a proper opposition.

And that's because psychopaths crave power, influence, and status.

It's no surprise to me that when democracy offers the golden opportunity of power, influence, status, and wealth - up hoovers up the most psychopathic elements of society.

It's logical consequence of democracy.

And worst still, psychopaths are more than effective at weeding out the competition. So even if Simple Joe decided to run, the psychopath can out-maneuvre Simple Joe to get what he/she wants.

Varadkar is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hellrazer wrote: »
    We don't have a genuine "opposition"

We have a party (or parties) that didn't get into government who agree with the ones who are in government.

Its funny when you think of it - we really don't need elections at all. Just rotate them in and out of government every 5 years. They all stand for the same thing anyway.

I see that so often. Apparently the only true opposition is on boards. Yet no one has mustered up a political party to be this opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Hilarious is right, your Netherlands example that you suggest is the bees knees is exactly the same as our regs apart from the antigen test. Cost about 20 euros immediate result and about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

What are you on about? Nowhere was it stated it was the 'bees knees'. Maybe take a little time out there pal cos that was not anything to do with the comment made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yes, I expect to be travelling in the second half of this year as the vaccine rollout becomes widespread.

I expect we'll still be wearing masks, but in general most things will be relaxed. Hopefully I will be travelling on a plane full of vaccinated people only.

I'll probably pick a destination where we can be dining outside. Depends on how things go.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I see that so often. Apparently the only true opposition is on boards. Yet no one has mustered up a political party to be this opposition.

Its a bit mad alright. Most of our parties are left of centre and may aswell be all one big party.

In Europe there is usually a hard right party to balance things out. Irish people would probably be too offended by a hard right party and probably the reason we don't have one here.Even if they were never voted into government it would be still worth having for some balance or opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

If the government can close down all businesses, why cant they stop the airlines flying empty planes to avoid refunding people?

Half arsesd as usual.

So, I can lose my €1,000 flight for June, or I can pay a €500 fine. Great choice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dr. Em wrote: »
    20 Euro? It costs 89 Euro and takes up to an hour to get results. Since the Netherlands requires you to take the test within 4 hours of departure, it is very effective at restricting travel.
    1) the airport has to have testing facilities where results can be returned within approximately a 2 hour-window in order to receive results and still have time to get to the flight;
    2) the testing centre has to have the testing capacity to test an entire plane load within that timeframe or else it will become uneconomic for flights to run; and

3) anyone who tests positive is not allowed to travel.

It is a creative way to restrict travel indirectly while still allowing the most essential travel.

The thing about Dublin Airport is that test is listed as taking 5 hours ...

As you say its creative way to restrict travel ...

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    Yes, I expect to be travelling in the second half of this year as the vaccine rollout becomes widespread.

I expect we'll still be wearing masks, but in general most things will be relaxed. Hopefully I will be travelling on a plane full of vaccinated people only.

I'll probably pick a destination where we can be dining outside. Depends on how things go.

like December? there are bound to be more bumps on the vaccine road, probably be 2021 before a fair few get anything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement