Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I thought the hysteria over travel would of slowly died off by now. But it appears the media are going to milk every last single story no matter how insignificant it is. The constant stream of daily attacks on travel is an act of desperation by the government.

They know these insignificant stories will get people angry and riled up. It's simply called 'deflection' - deflect away from the real issues in the community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

RobitTV wrote: »
    I thought the hysteria over travel would of slowly died off by now. But it appears the media are going to milk every last single story no matter how insignificant it is. The constant stream of daily attacks on travel is an act of desperation by the government.

They know these insignificant stories will get people angry and riled up. It's simply called 'deflection' - deflect away from the real issues in the community.

Seeing as talk of a certain screening scandal was in the media briefly in the last few days, I think a certain member of Nphet may be stirring up the travel thing to divert attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

faceman wrote: »
    Hysteria over travel had reached a new high.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-british-expats-using-short-dublin-stays-to-get-around-far-east-travel-bans-1.4480475

I fail to see an issue with what is being highlighted here. Is Ireland a holiday destination for people looking to get out for walks?

Travel to some Asia countries is not permitted if you’ve been in the U.K. for 2 weeks beforehand. So what rule is being broken?

Articles like this are not aiming to make a rational analysis of the danger, which in this case is entirely on Singapore's efforts to keep out a variant which is already rampant in Ireland anyway. They are all about invoking fear by connotation:

-These people need to quarantine! They must be highly infectious! And they're over here! And there's at least THREE of them according to an anonymous source!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Seeing as talk of a certain screening scandal was in the media briefly in the last few days, I think a certain member of Nphet may be stirring up the travel thing to divert attention.

No question none of this is a coincidence. Think back to what story was in the news when the travel issue first hit the media. Mother & Baby homes. Note how the pathetic apologies went unchallenged in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Does anyone know if the Ryanair vouchers that were issued last year for cancelled flights, with a one year use by date, have been extended?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Does anyone know if the Ryanair vouchers that were issued last year for cancelled flights, with a one year use by date, have been extended?

You can always request a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Don't use them in a year I think you get an automatic refund anyway. Must dig out the email I got from them last April saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Yes i agree - newstalk had a "professor" on this morning and do you know what he blamed the 3rd wave on? the number one reason for 3rd wave was...

TRAVEL

so he thought that was the MAIN cause of the 3rd wave - not Christmas indoor socializing.

I give up :rolleyes:

polesheep wrote: »
    You can always request a refund.

Even if you've a voucher already?

Even if you've a voucher already?

I'm pretty sure that's what it said but, like yourself, I'll have to dig out the email and check for sure.

You're spot on Stephen regarding the automatic refund: "If you accept your voucher and do not use it before the expiry date you will receive a full cash refund. If you only use the voucher in part before the expiry date you will also receive the remaining balance in a cash refund."

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that's what it said but, like yourself, I'll have to dig out the email and check for sure.

Yeah just found it there, said if it wasn't used within 12 months there's a refund. But I had a look there and there is an option on the website for customer to request a cash refund who've already got a voucher.

Have just submitted it now and it said I should know in 7 days so soon see if they give the cash now.

Yeah just found it there, said if it wasn't used within 12 months there's a refund. But I had a look there and there is an option on the website for customer to request a cash refund who've already got a voucher.

Have just submitted it now and it said I should know in 7 days so soon see if they give the cash now.

Yep, just saw that myself. Would you mind letting us know if/when you get the refund? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

What airline?

Yep, just saw that myself. Would you mind letting us know if/when you get the refund? Thanks.

Yeah no worries. The automated message said within 7 days so I'll keep an eye

What airline?

Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Travel bans generally are getting a disproportionate amount of attention particularly in respect to EU travel. Politicians are making up policy based on Joe Duffy and his listeners.

I think Ireland is just generally copying the U.K measures, but now passengers into the UK can receive up to a 10 year prison sentences and £10,000 fines for lying about where you traveled from.... Which seems wildly disproportionate! I've seen murderers and sex attackers getting much less for their crimes...

The classic retort to this is "Won't somebody please think of the Variants!"

Sad news is that the Variants can come from anywhere, and there could be 100's!

What will happen to Domestic tourism in Ireland when you've 1000's of unvaccinated people traveling around the country?
    The Donegal Variant, The Galway variant....

If you're going to demand that Ferry and Airline passengers quarantine and produce a negative PCR test then lets also demand ones from those who travel from a high infection rate part of Ireland to a low one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I think Ireland is just generally copying the U.K measures, but now passengers into the UK can receive up to a 10 year prison sentences and £10,000 fines for lying about where you traveled from.... Which seems wildly disproportionate! I've seen murderers and sex attackers getting much less for their crimes...

The classic retort to this is "Won't somebody please think of the Variants!"

Sad news is that the Variants can come from anywhere, and there could be 100's!

What will happen to Domestic tourism in Ireland when you've 1000's of unvaccinated people traveling around the country?

If you're going to demand that Ferry and Airline passengers quarantine and produce a negative PCR test then lets also demand ones from those who travel from a high infection rate part of Ireland to a low one!

We might be copying the UK system, but those UK restrictions won't be in place for long. They're already planning for summer holidays with travel corridors. Mention that here and you'll be shot. As usual, we'll be stuck with their restrictions (albeit without the jail terms) long after they're back travelling. The virus is clearly seasonal. We need to open up with the rest of Europe this summer when infections are low to save what's left of the tourism/aviation industries here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That's a good point. Why stop there though. Why don't we test people before they go to the shop? The 5km restriction is supposed to be the fire break. As cases come down it makes sense to move that fire break out. 20 km -> county -> country.

Who knows by the end of the summer we could have a sort of common travel area with the UK where no test is required due to the strict quarantine. You'd be free to holiday in Blackpool or Bournemouth? Also the traffic the other way would be a nice boost to domestic tourism which hasn't had the best year.

Tazz T wrote: »
    We might be copying the UK system, but those UK restrictions won't be in place for long. They're already planning for summer holidays with travel corridors. Mention that here and you'll be shot. As usual, we'll be stuck with their restrictions (albeit without the jail terms) long after they're back travelling. The virus is clearly seasonal. We need to open up with the rest of Europe this summer when infections are low to save what's left of the tourism/aviation industries here.

It's taken the State almost a year to bring in the Mandatory negative tests and hotel quarantines and fines for travel, I can't see them being reversed as "quick"..
    However the UK will be quicker to reverse...

I have no faith that the Irish travel regime will be in line with Europe, it wasn't last year.. only difference is the new laws in 2021...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It's taken the State almost a year to bring in the Mandatory negative tests and hotel quarantines and fines for travel, I can't see them being reversed as "quick"..
    However the UK will be quicker to reverse...

I have no faith that the Irish travel regime will be in line with Europe, it wasn't last year.. only difference is the new laws in 2021...

Reading between the lines of what Leo said last night, Ireland will have the travel restrictions in place until Spring of next year earliest.

• Advertisement

That's a good point. Why stop there though. Why don't we test people before they go to the shop? The 5km restriction is supposed to be the fire break. As cases come down it makes sense to move that fire break out. 20 km -> county -> country.

So, you're a resident of a lovely little Seaside town in Kerry where in Summer 2021 all the locals can walk around without a mask to the Pub for a pint or the GAA pitch for a match, because for the past 8 weeks no one in the town has tested positive for Covid, and no one is attending the hospital with Covid either...
    ....do you really want large groups arriving in your town from Dublin and reseeding the virus? Then it's back to Lockdown measures yet again!

Reading between the lines of what Leo said last night, Ireland will have the travel restrictions in place until Spring of next year earliest.

Leaky Leo just loves to grab the headlines! So take what he says with a pinch of salt...

When deaths are flat and cases under 100 a day for months in the Summer yet Ireland is still under Level 3+ Lockdown then unless the blank cheques keep comes from the ECB we should hope the Irish will wake up and demand a reopening..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Imagine it could be spring of next year before people can freely travel from Ireland. And the majority of the Irish populace will do nothing except encourage this at every opportunity :rolleyes: Just like they have done since March of last year.

Meanwhile Europe and the UK will be shipping holidaymakers across the continent and people can visit family members without being targeted by the hysterical media.

Leo is going to find it very difficult to keep these measures in place come the summer.

Leaky Leo just loves to grab the headlines! So take what he says with a pinch of salt...

When deaths are flat and cases under 100 a day for months in the Summer yet Ireland is still under Level 3+ Lockdown then unless the blank cheques keep comes from the ECB we should hope the Irish will wake up and demand a reopening..

I’d like to think you’re right but given that clown McConkey is claiming we have another 3-5 years of this and Holohan has so desire to relax travel at all, the Irish government won’t relax restrictions in the hurry.

This is what the people asked for too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Imagine it could be spring of next year before people can freely travel from Ireland. And the majority of the Irish populace will do nothing except encourage this at every opportunity :rolleyes: Just like they have done since March of last year.

Meanwhile Europe and the UK will be shipping holidaymakers across the continent and people can visit family members without being targeted by the hysterical media.

Leo is going to find it very difficult to keep these measures in place come the summer.

It'll be the opposite of what's happening at the moment. People will travel to Belfast to get away.

I’d like to think you’re right but given that clown McConkey is claiming we have another 3-5 years of this and Holohan has so desire to relax travel at all, the Irish government won’t relax restrictions in the hurry.

Yea McDonkey is getting far too much airtime, but people are listening to the likes of him and as you say it's what the people have asked for and will get... just hope they can live with the consequences once this virus has subsided... For me returning to "De valera's Ideal Ireland" doesn't appeal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

its now we need heroes who post about it on the internet more than ever

Rise up Robit of the TV

the Irish government won’t relax restrictions in the hurry.

The other issue in play here is the opposition. All the shinners want to do is scream and shout about everything the government does, so if they try relaxing the rules we'll have to endure Mary Lou giving out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

The other issue in play here is the opposition. All the shinners want to do is scream and shout about everything the government does, so if they try relaxing the rules we'll have to endure Mary Lou giving out about it.

As it stands we are still going to be going in and out of lockdowns this time next year (mainly due to new strains)

We'd be better off doing a sharp lockdown for the next month with curfews ect. Close the borders and within a month we become a covid free island.
    If NZ can do it theres no reason we cant.

• Advertisement

As it stands we are still going to be going in and out of lockdowns this time next year (mainly due to new strains)

We'd be better off doing a sharp lockdown for the next month with curfews ect. Close the borders and within a month we become a covid free island.
    If NZ can do it theres no reason we cant.

While I agree a hard lock down, with curfew should have been enforced for a while, instead of this wink wink lock down, we will never be a zero covid island. Unlike NZ we are too small. Closing our borders was never an option. Besides, it's the behaviour of people in the community is the issue, not travel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement