Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As it stands we are still going to be going in and out of lockdowns this time next year (mainly due to new strains)
    We'd be better off doing a sharp lockdown for the next month with curfews ect. Close the borders and within a month we become a covid free island.
    If NZ can do it theres no reason we cant.

There's one reason that won't work!

We're NOT New Zealand!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If cases are low and people are vaccinated, good luck stopping people leaving. Atm, with the 5km restriction it's easy to stop people, but no way will guards be stopping people when that moves to county wide, never mind country wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RobitTV wrote: »
    Imagine it could be spring of next year before people can freely travel from Ireland. And the majority of the Irish populace will do nothing except encourage this at every opportunity :rolleyes: Just like they have done since March of last year.

Meanwhile Europe and the UK will be shipping holidaymakers across the continent and people can visit family members without being targeted by the hysterical media.

Leo is going to find it very difficult to keep these measures in place come the summer.

I reckon you're in for a bit of a disappointment if you believe that lol.

Fact is we don't have a clue as to what other countries will do at some point in the future. Atm the UK are locking down travel for holiday or leisure purposes harder than ever. Many countries are restricting entry for holiday or leisure purposes. God forbid that happens here eh?

Could you imagine the wailing and screaming here if the Irish government published something like this?

https://twitter.com/FCDOGovUK/status/1355221672605978628?s=20

You'd swear by a bunch of comments it's only Ireland where there was a pandemic happening :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

faceman wrote: »
    I’d like to think you’re right but given that clown McConkey is claiming we have another 3-5 years of this and Holohan has so desire to relax travel at all, the Irish government won’t relax restrictions in the hurry.

This is what the people asked for too

McConkey and his dour misery fueled spiel reminds me of George Lee in the glory days of the Celtic tiger. If McConkey and Holohan had their way we,d be all locked in our houses in separate rooms and only allowed out for 15 minutes a day.

gozunda wrote: »
    You'd swear by a bunch of comments it's only Ireland where there was a pandemic happening :rolleyes:

Ha ha! You're soo funny!!

I believe this is an Irish message board so the discussion here relates to Ireland... ha ha! k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

neris wrote: »
    McConkey and his dour misery fueled spiel reminds me of George Lee in the glory days of the Celtic tiger. If McConkey and Holohan had their way we,d be all locked in our houses in separate rooms and only allowed out for 15 minutes a day.

McConkey won't be on prime time TV slots once this is all over so he's hoping to prolong the misery.

Our vaccination roll out has been incredibly poor compared to our neighbours across the pond but that is mostly down to them not being in the EU.

Simple thing is, the quicker the vaccinations, the quicker we're out of this but people are more inclined to give out about Johnny and Mary going to Lanzarote than the real issues here that the vaccination roll out is slow, poor and until this is sorted, we're in rolling lockdowns.

But no one is willing to probe these questions, this was the 'strategy' from the beginning from MM. Until enough vaccinations are completed, lockdown and the 'hope' of getting out of this shítshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

As it stands we are still going to be going in and out of lockdowns this time next year (mainly due to new strains)

Ah yeah the new strains hysteria.

This will be the last lockdown - we'll have 5 different vaccines on the go from May onwards and most data so far suggests they are very effective against new strains.

Some are less effective but still reduce serious illness and hospitalization.

Sick of hearing about the new strains, utter nonsense. Why don't you look up mRna tech....

Flu mutates every year, so what :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I reckon you're in for a bit of a disappointment if you believe that lol.

Fact is we don't have a clue as to what other countries will do at some point in the future. Atm the UK are locking down travel for holiday or leisure purposes harder than ever. Many countries are restricting entry for holiday or leisure purposes. God forbid that happens here eh?

Could you imagine the wailing and screaming here if the Irish government published something like this?

The UK will have a significant portion of its population vaccinated. Israel and Greece have signed an agreement for a travel corridor this summer. You keep going on about the 'here and now' and how its illegal (which we know already) but things can and most likely will change by the summer for most European nations.

The CEO of TUI said that they expect to operate 80% of flights this summer. In 2020 it was just 25% and 2.6 million people in the UK have holidays booked for this summer with TUI.

Ryanair, Jet2 and EasyJet expect flights from the UK and Europe to operate this summer.

For someone who does not want travel to take place under any circumstances, you spend a whole lot of time on this 'will you travel' thread going around in circles with the same worn out arguments to demonize people who wish to step outside of this island. (Not now they are wising to travel but the summer period) people aren't travelling now. And there is no need for me to keep repeating this.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ha ha! You're soo funny!!

I believe this is an Irish message board so the discussion here relates to Ireland... ha ha! k

Ha ha! A travel thread about travel abroad...

And yet bizarrely we have constant crystal ball style announcements that Europe and the UK will be definitely shipping holidaymakers across the continent and how Ireland is the Worstest ever!!!@ :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

We'd be better off doing a sharp lockdown for the next month with curfews ect. Close the borders and within a month we become a covid free island.

Do you honestly believe that?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

McConkey won't be on prime time TV slots once this is all over so he's hoping to prolong the misery.

Our vaccination roll out has been incredibly poor compared to our neighbours across the pond but that is mostly down to them not being in the EU.

Simple thing is, the quicker the vaccinations, the quicker we're out of this but people are more inclined to give out about Johnny and Mary going to Lanzarote than the real issues here that the vaccination roll out is slow, poor and until this is sorted, we're in rolling lockdowns.

But no one is willing to probe these questions, this was the 'strategy' from the beginning from MM. Until enough vaccinations are completed, lockdown and the 'hope' of getting out of this shítshow.

The issue is not with the roll out though as you say it is with the supply, it is an EU wide issue, not much MM can do unless we want to go down the road of Hungary and rush through our own approval for the Russian and chinese vaccines (without proper EMA checks) and go and buy them ourselves?

have you ever been to New Zealand? They are almost completely self sufficient!
    They don't need the rest of the World for anything!
    We do.

have you ever been to New Zealand? They are almost completely self sufficient!
    They don't need the rest of the World for anything!
    We do.

Other than the $40 billion of imports per year.

Ha ha! A travel thread about travel abroad...

And yet bizarrely we have constant crystal ball style announcements that Europe and the UK will be definitely shipping holidaymakers across the continent and how Ireland is the Worstest ever!!!@ :eek: :pac:

...From an Irish perspective based on Irish travel restrictions.. not UK..

This is based on sound experience from last year where Holoham and the NPHET basically banned travel for many... this year they now have the laws to force people not to travel, and it's working...

Holiday giant TUI bets on UK and German Covid recoveries to save its summer holidays - Irish Examiner

World’s biggest tour operator plans to offer 80% of its usual holiday programme this summer betting on a surge in demand – particularly from Britain – as that country’s Covid-19 vaccination programme gathers pace

I know some of you will be bitterly disappointed by this development.

The UK will have a significant portion of its population vaccinated. Israel and Greece have signed an agreement for a travel corridor this summer. You keep going on about the 'here and now' and how its illegal (which we know already) but things can and most likely will change by the summer for most European nations. The CEO of TUI said that they expect to operate 80% of flights this summer. In 2020 it was just 25% and 2.6 million people in the UK have holidays booked for this summer with TUI.Ryanair, Jet2 and EasyJet expect flights from the UK and Europe to operate this summer. For someone who does not want travel to place under any circumstances, you spend a whole lot of time on this will you travel' thread going around in circles with the same worn out arguments to demonize people who wish to step outside of this island. (Not now they are wising to travel but the summer period) people aren't travelling now. And there is no need for me to keep repeating this.

Ah I see you'd prefer an echo chamber for those calling for breaking current restrictions or calling for insurrection if they don't get their way lol.

(*Because there's plenty of that going on atm and hence my previous comment)

Well no one can foretell the future - no matter how much you might want to.

And btw were exactly do I say I do "not want travel to place under any circumstances"?

The fact that some use reality as a geneal to life guide and not wishful thinking shouldn't be that surprising.

If wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride, If turnips were swords I'd have one by my side

And no sorry but I'm not going to take travel advisory during a pandemic from commercial interests whose sole interest is to put bums on seats.

But yes I and most of the rest of the country do look forward to travelling again - when its safe to do so. Others wailing and screaming ain't going to help that

Holiday giant TUI bets on UK and German Covid recoveries to save its summer holidays - Irish Examiner

World’s biggest tour operator plans to offer 80% of its usual holiday programme this summer betting on a surge in demand – particularly from Britain – as that country’s Covid-19 vaccination programme gathers pace

I know some of you will be bitterly disappointed by this development.

Delighted, can't wait for my 2 weeks in the algarve.

I'll travel to belfast, get pcr tests and pay €500 fines if i have to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

One thing I will say for all the anti travel mob/begrudgers, is that it makes for a very pleasant holiday for the rest of us. We were lucky enough to get away last summer (and we did the restricted movement gig for 14 days despite being in a green list country) and it was amazing. Everywhere was so much quieter, and to be honest, it was the best European holiday we ever had. It also felt so much safer than being in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

gmisk wrote: »
    The issue is not with the roll out though as you say it is with the supply, it is an EU wide issue, not much MM can do unless we want to go down the road of Hungary and rush through our own approval for the Russian and chinese vaccines (without proper EMA checks) and go and buy them ourselves?

The roll out is slow because of the supply.

Not much MM can do? He's the Irish 'leader' in the EU whose whole Covid exit strategy was built on vaccinations and now there is a serious lack of supply.

Should we just take our pants down and bend over because it's an EU wide issue? More and more people will die because they won't get a vaccination in time.

There should be massive pressure from country leaders to get as many vaccinations as possible, as many people vaccinated as possible and get us out of this. The UK are laughing at the rest of Europe including Ireland.

Scotland are administering 43.5 doses per minute, Ireland 2.5.

I understand it's a supply issue but my point is that the anger is being directed at the wrong issues and will continue to do so.

Ah I see you'd prefer an echo chamber for those calling for breaking of current restrictions or calling for insurrection if they don't get their way lol.

Well no one can foretell the future - no matter how much you might want to.

And btw were exactly do I say I do "not want travel to place under any circumstances"?

The fact that some use reality as a geneal to life guide and not wishful thinking shouldn't be that surprising.

If wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride, If turnips were swords I'd have one by my side

And no sorry but I'm not going to take travel advisory from comercial interests whose sole interest is to put bums on seats.

But yes I and most of the rest of the country do look forward to travelling again - when its safe to fo do. Others wailing and screaming ain't going to help that

Ok... all of that is very interesting, you have ignored 75% of my post.

I never suggested that I wanted a 'echo chamber' spreading falsehoods is not going to help you. You have expressed your opinion many times on here. I have no plan or power to stop you. So relax.

The amount of falsehoods being spread is comical. I have never called for or supported some sort of 'insurrection' - please back this up with evidence. Which I know you wont be able to anyway :pac:

If you aren't going to stick to the truth. Then this is pointless and absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Delighted, can't wait for my 2 weeks in the algarve.

I'll travel to belfast, get pcr tests and pay €500 fines if i have to.

you'd better get booking quick so as dublin handles the vast majority of the flights on the island

...From an Irish perspective based on Irish travel restrictions.. not UK..This is based on sound experience from last year where Holoham and the NPHET basically banned travel for many... this year they now have the laws to force people not to travel, and it's working...

OK let's spell this out simply. Ireland is not the only country with restrictions on travel for holiday and leisure purposes.

And yes travel is banned and even in illegal in other countries. And yet some oddly believe Ireland is the Worstest ever. It doesn't hold up to scrutiny im afraid.

Worstest ever?! :eek: interesting word.

OK let's spell this out simply. Ireland is not the only country with restrictions on travel for holiday and leisure purposes.

And yes travel is banned and even in illegal in other countries. And yet some oddly believe Ireland is the Worstest ever. It doesn't hold up to scrutiny im afraid.

ah lets tell you simply, we have enough "experts" on TV&Radio telling us all about travel/restrictions, so leave it to them instead of the unqualified coming onto message boards trying(and failing) to say the same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The roll out is slow because of the supply.

Not much MM can do? He's the Irish 'leader' in the EU whose whole Covid exit strategy was built on vaccinations and now there is a serious lack of supply.

Should we just take our pants down and bend over because it's an EU wide issue? More and more people will die because they won't get a vaccination in time.

There should be massive pressure from country leaders to get as many vaccinations as possible, as many people vaccinated as possible and get us out of this. The UK are laughing at the rest of Europe including Ireland.

Scotland are administering 43.5 doses per minute, Ireland 2.5.

I understand it's a supply issue but my point is that the anger is being directed at the wrong issues and will continue to do so.
    What is your solution then?
    Do you want to go rogue like Hungary and buy in a tonne of Chinese and russian vaccines despite them not getting proper checks?

The EU clearly can't get the supply of vaccines as quickly as they would want, there is massive global demand. When others come on stream and production ramps up rollout will speed up, the EU put it's eggs in a lot of baskets so to speak.

The UK has done it's own thing let's see how it works out, they are using a vaccine for over 65s which a lot of other countries in europe are not using in that age group due to lack of data for example. They are also not following the guidelines at all with regards the timeframe for second doses....again let's see how that works out.
    Don't forget their numbers in general outside of vaccinations are absolutely horrendous.

I think many people are going to go through Belfast airport this summer. Just my opinion. It's fairly easy to get to Belfast with many bus and good rail connections from Dublin.

This all depends on the UK restrictions when summer arrives. Nothing is set in stone.

Ok... all of that is very interesting, you have ignored 75% of my post.I never suggested that I wanted a 'echo chamber' spreading falsehoods is not going to help you. You have expressed your opinion many times on here. I have no plan or power to stop you. So relax. The amount of falsehoods being spread is comical. I have never called for or supported some sort of 'insurrection' - please back this up with evidence. Which I know you wont be able to anyway :pac:If you aren't going to stick to the truth. Then this is pointless and absurd.

I'm sorry! Which bits did I miss exactly? :pac:
    And do please read what was actually said. The reference to an echo chamber was clearly not in inverted commas or attributed as 'said' by your good self. But that did seem to be the general gist from your last comment.

So yup you can take the screams of 'falsehoods' and file them where they belong.

But I do have to ask - wtf? why exactly are you making the comment about yourself? And where was it stated you personally called for an insurrection? And yes in general the number of comments wailing and screaming that some wont be stopped going on their holidays and restrictions be damned is notable. As you said 'absurd' ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

There's one reason that won't work!

We're NOT New Zealand!

Insightful as ever. True statement though for lots of reasons.

https://twitter.com/Goodable/status/1358829410229575681?s=20

I'm sorry! Which bits did I miss exactly? :pac:
    And do please read what was actually said. The reference to an echo chamber was clearly not in inverted commas or attributed to your good self
    So yup you can take the screams of 'falsehoods' and file them where they belong.

But I do have to ask - wtf? why exactly are you making the comment about yourself? And where was it stated you personally called for an insurrection? And yes in general the number of comments wailing and screaming that some wont be stopped going on their holidays and restrictions be damned is notable. As you said 'absurd' ...

Are you for real? You just said - "Ah I see you'd prefer an echo chamber for those calling for breaking of current restrictions or calling for insurrection if they don't get their way lol"

You mentioned me when you said "you'd prefer" - you have got to be trolling at this stage if you cannot even understand what you just posted.

You have made false claims against me. I'm still waiting for the evidence. Where is it? - time to deliver the goods and stop deflecting.
    I have never called for or supported some sort of 'insurrection' - please back this up with evidence.

I cannot believe this discussion. Let's just get back to travel and the basis of this entire thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Insightful as ever. True statement though for lots of reasons.

https://twitter.com/Goodable/status/1358829410229575681?s=20

NZ is in lockdown. No one can come in or leave. There are Irish people who haven't seen their families in a year and won't for the forseeable future. This will be the case for at least a year and when they do open, they will have little to no exposure to new variants. In all likelihood, they are delaying the inevitable unless they lockdown forever. A Zero-pandemic strategy has never been tried before. What the final outcome is no one knows, but it probably isn't going to be good.

You might as well say let's do the US model, because the virus is burning out there, because of Trump's approach (which I do not condone in any way). They're coming out of their third wave and I very much suspect, based on historical precedent, that's it done there. Cases will be minimal a month from now and any blips will be viewed as insignificant given the massive rates experienced earlier. They'll be open for business, they'll be mask free and they'll be travelling. NZ won't.

The pandemic will end like every other pandemic in history. Flattening the curve and protecting hospitals until that happens is the best way of dealing with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement