Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    So did your friend self isolate?

They are taking precautions, however the point is that they had been free to travel, not advised as to their requirements, were not asked for any contact details, were not medically screened.

It is up to them to do what they want to do.

Horrendous organization that will inevitable being infections into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Maybe, but Simon Coveney has remained as the Foreign Affairs Minister and it's he who issues the govt travel guidance. If he's not up to speed on his brief, God help us. He's also gone to ground. I'm sure they're being bombarded with all sides of the argument but at least grow a pair and make some sort of decision rather than say nothing. There has to be a compromise but it's Joe Soap and his family that are being left in the middle ground. I clearly see both sides of the argument.

To be fair Simon Coveney has been constant in his message about a road map to open up air travel.
    Since the start of May he has constantly and never wavered on his stance.
    I am quite confident he knows his stuff, between brit exit and eu politics he knows what balance is needed in our unique travel system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Benimar wrote: »
    Bar the last line, he said all of this last Thursday.

The green list comes out on July 9th and is reviewed every two weeks after that.

Last Thursday they were talking about travel bridges.
    That idea is out the window, between the European travel area and the UK announcement travel bridges are null and void because travel is going to happen between the countrys either way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don’t have to cram onto a plane with 200 other people for a few hours to go on holidays in Ireland. You also won’t be mingling with people from all over Europe. The gov guidelines are pretty clear. There’s no logic to your post.

But people cram for a couple of hours on a bus to go to some destinations in Ireland, bear in mind a bus doesn’t have the same air quality. If you don’t condem travel altogether including Ireland you’re a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Happy to stay at home this year and spend my money here in rural businesses. Increased risks aside with travel abroad, there is a a civic duty here I feel to inject some cash flow back into the Irish economy and struggling businesses this year that is being overlooked by many.

It's a no from me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Happy to stay at home this year and spend my money here in rural businesses. Increased risks aside with travel abroad, there is a a civic duty here I feel to inject some cash flow back into the Irish economy and struggling businesses this year that is being overlooked by many.

thats fine your choice, but for those of is who choose to travel abroad to countries with a low rate of covid 19 that's fine too and anyone who says otherwise is deluded,increased risks in popular holiday destinations in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Hopefully you can find somewhere in Ireland that will also take care of the horse you travelled there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

For people saying Lanzarote has zero cases or Benidorm is empty and covid free, you must realise that's precisely because of the travel ban right? It's extremely unlikely that once the tourists return these are exactly the places where most transmissions are likely to occur?

I'm planning to travel but at least own what you're doing, taking a calculated risk and accepting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Going by Leo & Donnelly's soundbites today it looks like a Green List will be published next week (I'd think a very short list based on very strict parameters) but sounds unlikely that they will activate the air bridges until a few weeks after, could be well into August. Not much use to those that booked pre-covid and are due to fly between now & then but Govt can say that they are amenable to re-opening Ireland Inc. to visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fair play to you. I will stay here for the other 49 weeks of the year working away paying all the taxes the government imposes on me ( my civic duty fulfilled), the price gouging business have always extracted from me. I will though for the other 3 weeks travel to see friends I haven't seen in over a year, experience appreciation of my custom by businesses that know I have a multitude of options .
    Enjoy your Summer, I believe Centre Parc's venue in Ireland is reopening .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Going by Leo & Donnelly's soundbites today it looks like a Green List will be published next week (I'd think a very short list based on very strict parameters) but sounds unlikely that they will activate the air bridges until a few weeks after, could be well into August. Not much use to those that booked pre-covid and are due to fly between now & then but Govt can say that they are amenable to re-opening Ireland Inc. to visitors.

The current Government advice was well summed up by WW:

“Essentially Essential Non-Essential Overseas Travel Is Non-Essentially Essential” Confirms Government"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

Our business gets a few hundred thousand each year from UK customers which we use to pay ourselves and our Irish workers.
    I think most of that is subsequently spent in Ireland.
    Do you think that's enough to fulfill our 'civic duty' ?
    If not, then please advise what are the criteria for this latest dictat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lovely, I'm not really happy to stay home so probably will travel at some stage, having worked through this entire thing I would like a break, also I generate plenty on income into the country so won't feel too bad about spending a few bob abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I probably could have phrased that better or left out "overlooked by many". It's only this year I will have my main holiday at home. Calm down folks, we are a bit on edge here. :pac:

Just realized I have to travel to Spain for work once in house restrictions are lifted. But main holiday will be at home. So yes, I will travel:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The current Government advice was well summed up by WW:

“Essentially Essential Non-Essential Overseas Travel Is Non-Essentially Essential” Confirms Government"

Reminds me of this

https://youtu.be/E4F-pXvLWk4

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

My family will be spending their money in Irish businesses too, they're called "Ryanair" and "Aer Lingus", they've had huge layoffs already, are competing with airlines that were already bailed out (Lufthansa) and they're about to be run into the ground if this fearmongering continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

I probably could have phrased that better or left out "overlooked by many". It's only this year I will have my main holiday at home. Calm down folks, we are a bit on edge here. :pac:

Just realized I have to travel to Spain for work once in house restrictions are lifted. But main holiday will be at home. So yes, I will travel:o

Yes, think we’re all a bit frazzled and need a hol, most important thing is to enjoy it wherever you go, have a good one!

My family will be spending their money in Irish businesses too, they're called "Ryanair" and "Aer Lingus", they've had huge layoffs already, are competing with airlines that were already bailed out (Lufthansa) and they're about to be run into the ground if this fearmongering continues.

Aer Lingus not an Irish business.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Aer Lingus not an Irish business.

Sure does employ a lot of Irish people though.

Should people avoid spending money in Tesco and Argos? Should Irish staycationers avoid the hotels in Ireland owned by some of the big international hotel chains?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don’t have to cram onto a plane with 200 other people for a few hours to go on holidays in Ireland. You also won’t be mingling with people from all over Europe. The gov guidelines are pretty clear. There’s no logic to your post.

What about a 5 hour bus ride from Dublin to Killarney? I would say a 4 hour flight from Dublin to Lanzarote is safer considering everyone on the plane has to wear a mask and hardly no one is using masks on public transport in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

hots wrote: »
    For people saying Lanzarote has zero cases or Benidorm is empty and covid free, you must realise that's precisely because of the travel ban right? It's extremely unlikely that once the tourists return these are exactly the places where most transmissions are likely to occur?

I'm planning to travel but at least own what you're doing, taking a calculated risk and accepting it.

I'm planning to travel too and will be staying in my parents house in Spain, plane and airport are a risk so will be wearing a mask and wiping down seats and tables on plane.

Once there though Spain seems to me to be a safer place to be, they have mandatory mask wearing we don't. Beaches marked out for SD we don't. On the spot fines for not following the rules we don't.

When peak tourist season kicks off here and hotels and bars are packed it'll be an absolute sh!t show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

A bit busier here today. Two other people on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Was speaking to someone yesterday who is planning on travelling to the Canaries at the end of the month. They were saying they work hard so should go. I didn't voice any disagreement but I feel that we all work hard and it's a bit disingenuous to suggest they are better than others and should go. We postponed our holidays for this year so maybe I'm feeling jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

There was a queue in reception this morning with people checking in. Spanish, French and German. Still plenty of room by the pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Might be a short list but it will likely include all of the EU.

The airbridges again can only really be external to the EU

spockety wrote: »
    Sure does employ a lot of Irish people though.

Should people avoid spending money in Tesco and Argos? Should Irish staycationers avoid the hotels in Ireland owned by some of the big international hotel chains?

Its not an Irish Business, I was just clarifying something without the need for you jumping down my throat about it.

But in response to your ridiculous and unrelated questioning Yes preferably people would buy local instead of buying from Tesco or Argos, who imports vast quantities of their products and in the case of Tesco treat their employees terribly. People should support their local butcher, and veg shop and famers market.

Yes people should avoid staying in Trumps hotel, and book one of the fine family owned establishments that are all around the country. The owners of adare manor dont need a booking as much other independent places.

Dante7 wrote: »
    There was a queue in reception this morning with people checking in. Spanish, French and German. Still plenty of room by the pool.

Are you really spending your holidays positing updates to boards.ie???

How sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's a bit ironic that at the very time that FF and FG finally agree to bury the civil war hatchet, the CMO's tweets are turning the citizens of the country against each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hots wrote: »

Spain has been open to EU tourists since 21st June. Tourism numbers are down for obvious reasons but there is a flow of tourists arriving daily. The difference between Spain and the U.K. is that beaches are patrolled in Spain and pods are marked to ensure social distancing is respected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Are you really spending your holidays positing updates to boards.ie???

How sad.

I think you're the one that''s being sad especially judging by your posts.

That poster is providing a running commentary on the experience of travelling during this pandemic and started with the plane trip and airport experience yesterday. Many will find this very helpful in deciding if they should travel. Much more helpful, actually, than the scaremongering and preaching from posters like yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement