Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Insightful as ever. True statement though for lots of reasons.

Link dumping from Twitter proves nothing, it's far too simplistic to say Ireland should follow exactly what NZ has done.. And this debate has been done to death here anyways, not going down that rabbit hole, we're not NZ is about is much as anyone needs to say on this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RobitTV wrote: »
    Are you for real? You just said - "Ah I see you'd prefer an echo chamber for those calling for breaking of current restrictions or calling for insurrection if they don't get their way lol"You mentioned me when you said "you'd" - you have got to be trolling at this stage if you cannot even understand what you just posted.You have made false claims against me. I'm still waiting for the evidence. Where is it? time to deliver the goods and stop deflecting. I cannot believe this discussion. Let's just get back to travel and the basis of this entire thread.

Ha ha. Digging an ever larger hole wont help you there I'm afraid. The inverted commas on the words echo chamber were yours btw and not mine. So no it was not said you wrote that phrase - But you sure as hell implied that in your previous comment. Capiche?

Ah I see even more 'falsehoods' eh. Do show me again where it was said that 'you' called for insurrection. Just calling that out as bs btw. But no the discussion is not about 'you'. Btw I think that's at least two questions I've asked you haven't bothered replying to. But no matter.

Look its clear that's looking for a scrap and not discussion, I'll leave you to it and your aforementioned 'falseboods"... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

gozunda wrote: »
    Ha ha. Digging an ever larger hole wont help you there I'm afraid. The inverted commas on the words echo chamber were yours btw and not mine. So no it was not said you wrote that phrase - But you sure as hell timplied that in your previous comment. Capiche?

Ah I see even more 'falsehoods' eh. Do show me again where it was said that 'you' called for insurrection. Just calling that out as bs btw. I think that's at least two questions I've asked you haven't bothered replying to. But no matter.

Look its clear that's looking for a scrap and not discussion, I'll leave you to it and your 'falseboods"... :rolleyes:

Ok no offence. You can keep going around the roundabout all you want. But where is the evidence regarding the allegations you have made that I want a echo chamber for people who demand a insurrection to get what they want?

Is that the exact allegation you have made?

If you don't provide me with crystal clear evidence then I can only naturally conclude that this discussion is over and is no longer worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I think many people are going to go through Belfast airport this summer. Just my opinion. It's fairly easy to get to Belfast with many bus and good rail connections from Dublin.

This all depends on the UK restrictions when summer arrives. Nothing is set in stone.

are the nordies not going on holiers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Fine set to increase to 2000 for non essential travel abroad - some people were prepared to pay the 500 but 2000 is steep. That’s 4000 for a couple least we don’t get the 10 years in jail though - may be a price too high

• Advertisement

Thank god for Northern Ireland and the UK if the summer season goes ahead this year. I think these fines could remain in place for many months.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

How is this policed? If you are on your way to the airport and are stopped by the guards who ask you where you are going to which you say to the airport on holidays I understand you can get fined €500. But if you can get into the airport without being stopped what controls are in place there exactly?

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    How is this policed? If you are on your way to the airport and are stopped by the guards who ask you where you are going to which you say to the airport on holidays I understand you can get fined €500. But if you can get into the airport without being stopped what controls are in place there exactly?

Not sure but shortly it won’t be 500 but 2000

Dr. Em wrote: »
    You seem to have misunderstood my post. I was not referring to holiday travel nor to border checks. I was referring to banning essential travel, the possibility of which had been raised earlier in the thread. Essential travel will not be banned within the EU because it would be a breach of of the right to work, study and live in other EU countries. Ireland ascribes to freedom of movement. This has nothing to do with the Schengen Zone. Ireland can implement border checks, but it cannot suspend the right of other EU citizens to work, study and live in Ireland, which means that essential travel cannot be banned outright without triggering an outcry and legal challenges.

My bad. I thought you were discussing holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

nickkinneg wrote: »
    Fine set to increase to 2000 for non essential travel abroad - some people were prepared to pay the 500 but 2000 is steep. That’s 4000 for a couple least we don’t get the 10 years in jail though - may be a price too high

That'll be 8,000 in total as it is chargeable BOTH ways - 2,000 x 2 people x 2 trips (out & back)

• Advertisement

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    So if you opt for a second test you only have to self quarantine for 5 days. That's easily done.

Not from next Monday. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

More Gardai

KildareMan wrote: »
    That'll be 8,000 in total as it is chargeable BOTH ways - 2,000 x 2 people x 2 trips (out & back)

Yeah ur right- too big a risk I’d say for most people now - unless your absolutely loaded and determined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just don't come back if you can work remote i guess from the other country. 2000 euro and spending months in a cheaper country with less restrictions will pay itself back.

Also, when 5k moves to country wide, they can't physically police every road into NI and if the UK have lesser travel restrictions come the summer and beyond, they cant prevent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gardai checking passengers at the boarding pass scanner..

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

nickkinneg wrote: »

Where was this announced?

Where was this announced?

Just about 30 minutes ago in the papers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

That's the UK, I'm talking about Ireland.

Fines for non-essential travel abroad to increase to €2,000 - Irish Independent

Only bright side is any one found in breach won’t get 10 year prison sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I'm just intrigued by these new travel restrictions. All seemingly stemming from RTE crews sending cameras to Dublin airport and Joe Duffy interviewing Frank and Una from Lanzarote. Public outrage reserved exclusively for them despite the transmission rates in supposed controlled settings like healthcare. There are huge numbers of Irish people living and working in other countries. Many of these exercised prudence along with their families and decided they would forego travelling home last Christmas. They heeded the public health message from Tony Holohan. I would say the majority of them have not been home in over a year to visit their loved ones some of whom are sick or elderly and who lets face it may not be around much longer. If those people are vaccinated along their relatives are vaccinated when could someone reasonably hope to see them again. Is it totally out of the question for another year... The years are starting to tick by here. Also is emmigration a valid excuse to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Army Snipers on the short term car park roof as an added deterrent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Why would you be fined coming home from the airport if you're returning from a different country?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Why would you be fined coming home from the airport if you're returning from a different country?

Because it was non essential travel. Gardai are checking people arriving and leaving the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Great way to drive business up North to either of the airports in Belfast :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Great way to drive business up North to either of the airports in Belfast :rolleyes:

Yup, a border crossing for two is a snip at €200 :)

So reading the media reports of this €2000 fine, it says it's part of the level 5 restrictions. So what happens when we move out of level 5? What is the legal standing behind this fine? Is it actually a ban on foreign travel, or does it fall under the essential travel rules within Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Because it was non essential travel. Gardai are checking people arriving and leaving the airport.

Unless of course you have a reasonable excuse.

I presume the Northern Ireland border fines will be gone by the summer. People can 'staycation' in NI can't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hopefully this fine is abandoned by the summer and we can have a foreign holiday or visit family abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I think many people are going to go through Belfast airport this summer. Just my opinion. It's fairly easy to get to Belfast with many bus and good rail connections from Dublin.

This all depends on the UK restrictions when summer arrives. Nothing is set in stone.

Clearly the words of someone who has never had the misfortune to actually use Belfast International, place is a chaotic, atrociusly run, dump.

There's a reason so many Nordies, in normal circumstances, choose to fly out of Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement