Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Clearly the words of someone who has never had the misfortune to actually use Belfast International, place is a chaotic, atrociusly run, dump.

There's a reason so many Nordies, in normal circumstances, choose to fly out of Dublin

Desperate times call for desperate measures :D lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

agoodpunt wrote: »
    Army Snipers on the short term car park roof as an added deterrent?

Joe Duffy is there with a camera and radio crew ready to fire the fury of the nation at anyone who dares leave the Island!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Hopefully this fine is abandoned by the summer and we can have a foreign holiday or visit family abroad.

I could be way off the mark here, but I believe the fine comes under the level 5 non essential domestic travel umbrella. If you look at any of the information on the government website, it says 'Our general advice is: do not travel overseas for non-essential purposes', or they 'advise' against non essential travel. Provided domestic travel measures are relaxed, this fine should go away. It's little more than a gesture to satisfy the 'outraged' people in our society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is there with a camera and radio crew ready to fire the fury of the nation at anyone who dares leave the Island!

But that prick will be swanning off to the Aran islands this summer for sure.

I wonder what the infection rate is there compared to Dublin ??

F*cking hypocritical prick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

nickkinneg wrote: »
    Fine set to increase to 2000 for non essential travel abroad - some people were prepared to pay the 500 but 2000 is steep. That’s 4000 for a couple least we don’t get the 10 years in jail though - may be a price too high
    Most people that are willing to head off on holidays now,wont pay that fine,weather it is €500 or €5000.
    If the government are serious about this,they need to ban the airlines,from flying to the holiday hotspots.
    Why are the media,not asking them this?

• Advertisement

What Level will we be at by June? there is currently no legal avenue for Gardai to issue fines outside of Level 5 restrictions. They can only recommend you don't travel In Level 1-4.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I'm just intrigued by these new travel restrictions. All seemingly stemming from RTE crews sending cameras to Dublin airport and Joe Duffy interviewing Frank and Una from Lanzarote. Public outrage reserved exclusively for them despite the transmission rates in supposed controlled settings like healthcare. There are huge numbers of Irish people living and working in other countries. Many of these exercised prudence along with their families and decided they would forego travelling home last Christmas. They heeded the public health message from Tony Holohan. I would say the majority of them have not been home in over a year to visit their loved ones some of whom are sick or elderly and who lets face it may not be around much longer. If those people are vaccinated along their relatives are vaccinated when could someone reasonably hope to see them again. Is it totally out of the question for another year... The years are starting to tick by here. Also is emmigration a valid excuse to travel?

No
    The €2000 fines are in response to the UK decision yesterday to prevent Dublin being a back door to the UK
    They've nothing to do with Joe Duffy
    His show the other day on the 2 old people in gran canaria for a couple of months was ridiculous radio click bait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    I could be way off the mark here, but I believe the fine comes under the level 5 non essential domestic travel umbrella. If you look at any of the information on the government website, it says 'Our general advice is: do not travel overseas for non-essential purposes', or they 'advise' against non essential travel. Provided domestic travel measures are relaxed, this fine should go away. It's little more than a gesture to satisfy the 'outraged' people in our society.
    It doesn't have to remain part of the level 5 umbrella though.

There's no reason why level 3 (for example) can't say that domestic travel is permitted, but non-essential foreign travel is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So the rich can still travel.

Another great policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

RobitTV wrote: »
    Desperate times call for desperate measures :D lol

knock yourself out

Belfast International Airport rated worst in UK

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

There's no reason why level 3 (for example) can't say that domestic travel is permitted, but non-essential foreign travel is banned.

Correct

seamus wrote: »

True, but there's no way (I hope) that they will introduce a ban on non essential foreign travel. They would have done so by now if they could. I would imagine that our membership of the European union is preventing it. The other issue they would face is the possible collapse of air travel in Ireland which would have a long term devastating effect on tourism. Which brings up another point, they can't ban their own people, and then let other nationalities in. Are we really going to close our doors to the US? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

So the rich can still travel.

Another great policy.

Yes it’s looking like that at the moment - end of cheap travel Ryanair and all - for the time being at least

Michael O' Leary is surely going to take legal action before the summer if the fines remain in place.

Michael O' Leary is surely going to take legal action before the summer if the fines remain in place.

Either that or he'll frighten them into submission by threatening to axe routes and send us back into the stone ages. Even the outraged of the country would be spitting fire if they thought they'd lose their cheap flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

glad it doesnt apply to me and all non resident or multiple passport holders but tough and discrimitory towards others i would be certainly annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nah he won't, RA will most likely postpone the opening of Shannon and Cork bases, plus reduce flight frequencies out of Dublin to a lot of destinations, may even cut routes to everywhere apart from UK..

Can you apply for a UK passport from Ireland, if you were originally born in the UK and are currently living in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Is McConkey in the TV studio when he spouts this nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

As an Irish citizen currently in Canada will this fine apply to me?

My visa expires in the summer and I am planning on moving back home in June

• Advertisement

Shane St. wrote: »

no, you can return home. Its one of the essentials listed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I assume non nationals can leave the country if they wish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Can you apply for a UK passport from Ireland, if you were originally born in the UK and are currently living in Ireland?

Yup. Dual citizenship.

Shane St. wrote: »

No, and given Canada's record I doubt it would be on a mandatory hotel quarantine list. You may have to quarantine yourself for 5 days and take a test if this regime still remains.

I assume non nationals can leave the country if they wish?

for good? Yes.

Its your residency, not nationality at play in that regard as has already been said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

These rules are pure opportunism and populism , I expected more from a supposed mature Party like Fine Gael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think there will need to be some coordination at EU Level on this.

The government ignored EU guidelines last year and will just do the same again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'm still struggling to believe that all of this is real...

A virus, with a 99.91% survival rate (in under 65's) has us confined to 5km from our home. With fines for leaving your county, or worse, your country.

We took to the streets to protest against water charges... but we are happy to be locked up? For what... the flu 2.0?

Bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

What I really do not understand is the approach being taken by Gardai at the Airport , fining people leaving but nothing said to those arriving . I'm working in the airport at the moment , the Paris and Amsterdam flights are arriving every day with hundreds of people coming from God knows where .

As these are large connection Airports to Africa and South America our chances of new strains arriving get larger with every single arrival .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

agoodpunt wrote: »
    glad it doesnt apply to me and all non resident or multiple passport holders but tough and discrimitory towards others i would be certainly annoyed.

The 5k restriction applies to you so yes it does

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement