Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Again on virgin media news,the fine includes children
    A family of 4 pays 8k and the parents are liable for the kids
    It also has to be paid within 28 days
    No installment plans
    They're going all out

How is a 2yr old meant to come up with 2k, can you even give a 2yr old a criminal record, can't wait for all these court cases.

Someone mentioned it above "international' travel, we'll more than likely have european travel for countries with low rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Some measures are necessary but think things have went very draconian, all driven by populism and nice soundbites to pass the blame to a minority. It leaves a bad taste and god help the EU and non-EU nationals living in this country who play such a critical role in many of our essential services feeling extremely isolated and vilified.It is a sad time but I believe things will change into the summer, although no doubt we will be extremely slow.

It's a messy amatuer populist half measure is what it all is....

well said its downright sickening the amount of spiteful,resentful bitter cun*s who have surfaced because of all this, a nation of absolute begrudgers, its sickening reading some comments from people almost asking for people to be locked up for getting on a plane or going to visit someone.:eek:

It has shown people to be horrible individuals, imagine calling people bitter, spiteful or resentful because they are obeying the law.
    Is that the way you feel about all law abiding citizens?

Annd9 wrote: »
    What I really do not understand is the approach being taken by Gardai at the Airport , fining people leaving but nothing said to those arriving . I'm working in the airport at the moment , the Paris and Amsterdam flights are arriving every day with hundreds of people coming from God knows where .

As these are large connection Airports to Africa and South America our chances of new strains arriving get larger with every single arrival .

You would think a daa employee would know the law about travel before commenting.

There's no offence for those arriving and going home to where they live just as there's no offence for traveling abroad for essential reasons.

So, what is it the Gardai should be doing in your opinion?

How is a 2yr old meant to come up with 2k, can you even give a 2yr old a criminal record, can't wait for all these court cases.

Someone mentioned it above "international' travel, we'll more than likely have european travel for countries with low rates.

The Criminal age of responsibility is 12 so no, you can't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

Does anyone know what counts as "essential travel" to the UK? Would a visit to a terminally ill relative be allowed, but if so do you think I'd have to do the hotel quarantine? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does the size of the fine have any impact on the likelihood of the Gardai to issue that fine?
    In cases where the Gardai have to use their own judgement if a trip is essential or not, would they be more likely to issue a €100 fine than a €2000 one?

carr62 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what counts as "essential travel" to the UK? Would a visit to a terminally ill relative be allowed, but if so do you think I'd have to do the hotel quarantine? Thanks.

For a chat no, to help them yes.

Ireland isn't on the UK ban list so no forced quarantine.

josip wrote: »
    Does the size of the fine have any impact on the likelihood of the Gardai to issue that fine?
    In cases where the Gardai have to use their own judgement if a trip is essential or not, would they be more likely to issue a €100 fine than a €2000 one?

lol yes, look at the reasoning they gave us for decreasing the mask fines, it was because Gardai weren't comfortable issuing such big fines for non compliance.
    The size of the fine would lead me to believe it's more than likely going to be legally contested.

carr62 wrote: »

There is no quarantine or PCR test requirement travelling from Ireland to the UK (unless youve transited from a restricted country). The UK recognises the common travel area, even now (though might stop doing so if people keep flying to the UK via Dublin)

And, yes, I would see that as essential. You’d need some evidence though

• Advertisement

Did you miss the bit about parents being liable for kids?

There is no quarantine or PCR test requirement travelling from Ireland to the UK (unless youve transited from a restricted country). The UK recognises the common travel area, even now (though might stop doing so if people keep flying to the UK via Dublin)

And, yes, I would see that as essential. You’d need some evidence though

This information is wrong. Especially about the PCR test. You must have one done within 72 hours of travel. You also have to fill in travel locator form.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

2k fine, 28 days to pay! And people are ok with this?, they go along with this?. And the scum that breaks into your house or steals your car or fakes an injury claim get to walk away Scott free!! I for one can't wait for the next FF or FG person to knock on my door, I know in the grand scheme of things it will achieve nothing, but I will get some satisfaction from grilling them for going along with this. I am genuinely shocked at how quickly people have turned against one another, I really did not think a government could do something like this so quickly. Honest to God, I remember reading in history class about brothers turning on brothers during the civil war and trying to imagine what that could have been like, little did I know all it took for someone to turn on another person now was wanting to take a holiday in the summer, not even right now, during a level 5, which I can at least try to understand if it annoyed a person, but to think we have people coming out and saying even if we are into low double digits and you do everything the HSE requires, test, quarantine if needed, you will still be scorned and shamed, catholic Ireland of the 60's gone but not forgotten. Christ lets go all out and go game of thrones on people and have them do a walk of shame if they dare have a pint this summer without an €9 meal. Jesus christ I really really am not a conspiracy theorist of any means, and I do think all the basic things we need to do, we should continue even if it's for 2 more years big deal, but sometimes these people in charge and making up the rules as they go on, or changing the rules 48 hours after telling us this is how it will be for 4 months or whatever, sometimes these idiots do not have our best interests in mind, right now it's in their interest to deflect how bad a job the are doing in managing this problem. In my experience bad management gets sacked not rewarded with pay rises and extra holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Haven't been outside of Ireland since January 2020. That's the longest I've gone without being outside of Ireland since around 1997/98 when I was a child.

I'm accredited to work at the Olympics in Tokyo in August so I plan to travel for that. Its going to be one almighty pain in the ass, and the Games will be 95% less enjoyable than they usually are. However I'll be one of the lucky few able to travel to Japan for it, so I guess I'll just have to roll with the punches.

I expect the Games will go ahead (though not as we know them), but if they don't then I've no plan to travel outside of Ireland for the foreseeable future.

I've been to 41 countries, and travel is a huge passion of mine. I can live without it for awhile though.

What I can't deal with is this 5Km nonsense. I spoke to a Dutch friend this morning. They have a lot of similar measures to here, most of the same businesses are shut etc. However they are free to travel anywhere in the country, can visit 1 person per day (can be a different person each day, and can be inside their own homes). People can visit their holiday homes, or go for a drive in the countryside. Simple things really. No police on the streets asking where you are going and issuing fines either.

This information is wrong. Especially about the PCR test. You must have one done within 72 hours of travel. You also have to fill in travel locator form.

Not according to gov.ie and gov.uk. Both are updated as at today and gov.UK references the period after 15 Feb when the new rules come in

Gov.UK is explicit: “if you travel to England, Scotland, Wales or NI from outside of the Common Travel Area you must get test etc”

That’s why the UK wants Ireland to shut the “back door” from Dubai etc

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Garda checkpoint before you board now :eek: I see it there on Zara Kings live report fro Dublin Airport

Jesus Christ, we really have reached peak hysteria. A reporter positioned at a completely empty Dublin Airport terminal harping on about additional travel restrictions, meanwhile there is little focus on where transmission is now occurring (Healthcare settings, nursing homes etc.) or the fact that there is still and never has been any legal requirement to isolate when you actually have a positive test result! But yeah, lets focus on the people who have, within 72 hours, proven they do not have Covid, as they are clearly the most dangerous to society right now!

As for the insane waste of Garda resources manning checkpoints at Dublin Airport......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Eamon Ryan on the news now....basically saying what Boris does,we’ll do...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

jojofizzio wrote: »

I'd actually be more hopeful for limited summer international travel on that basis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

RobitTV wrote: »
    Michael O' Leary is surely going to take legal action before the summer if the fines remain in place.
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Nah he won't, RA will most likely postpone the opening of Shannon and Cork bases, plus reduce flight frequencies out of Dublin to a lot of destinations, may even cut routes to everywhere apart from UK..

Really? Would he not be doing all of that because there is virtually no demand now? Sure they are great at cutting costs including people's wages.

What's the point if no one is booking? Most average people would never risk such a fine so I guess bookings will be non existence. Think about it £20 flight but risk of 4K fine?

They are already losing a tonne of money so no point throwing bad money after good.

As regards a court case, he can't go with the "advisory guidelines" case as it's legislated for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

He'll sing a different tune this summer when the UK opens travel corridors and their pubs are open

• Advertisement

Really? Would he not be doing all of that because there is virtually no demand now? Sure they are great at cutting costs including people's wages.What's the point if no one is booking? Most average people would never risk such a fine so I guess bookings will be non existence. Think about it £20 flight but risk of 4K fine? They are already losing a tonne of money so no point throwing bad money after good.As regards a court case, he can't go with the "advisory guidelines" case as it's legislated for now.

Demand been reduced to almost nothing due to the daily increase in penalties this Government is putting into place...
    So why would a company re-open bases in Shannon and Cork..cut the fleet and routes out of Dublin too.. Airlines usually plan way ahead by season so even if the fines and restrictions are lifted there's going to be very little options for people who want to travel, other than flying into London and onwards from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Not a chance. UK will be vaccinated long before us and will have travel corridors through summer even though it's not part of the EU anymore and we'll be facing at least the same restrictions as last year if not worse.

Watch how fast Ryanair shifts holiday routes from Dublin through the likes of Derry (already has some sun flights during summer) and Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

FatherTed wrote: »
    I'm getting my second vaccine shot here in the US next week and want to travel soon to Ireland to visit my parents, I'm thinking late March/April maybe for Easter. What's the story for quarantining there after traveling if've I've had my shots? I'm guessing I would need to provide documentation that I've been vaccinated, correct?

A person being vaccinated only means that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be less. There are some claims that vaccines reduced transmission to a third, but it does not eliminate it.

Your being vaccinated simply means that if you come, then you are unlikely to end up in one of the ICU beds here.

Travellers have to quarantine so that they don't bring in more of the virus (potentially new strains). You quarantining is to stop you from giving it to us. Your being vaccinated does not eliminate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Demand been reduced to almost nothing due to the daily increase in penalties this Government is putting into place...
    So why would a company re-open bases in Shannon and Cork..cut the fleet and routes out of Dublin too.. Airlines usually plan way ahead by season so even if the fines and restrictions are lifted there's going to be very little options for people who want to travel, other than flying into London and onwards from there...

So if they lift restrictions they won't schedule flights even though there would be demand? That's a pretty weird way to run a business unless of course he would be trying to spite the government and piss off people. He's never done that before I suppose.

The upper management have acted appalling throughout this. Taking a 800 million bailout at the start of this off the UK gov while simultaneously trying to prevent other airlines from being bailed out.

They've obstructed the public health response to this pandemic at every opportunity.
    At least one staff member who was being tested was instructed by a line manager to tell the HSE they had no close contacts in the office in the event of a positive result.

They were advised that names of individuals could not be provided to the HSE “due to GDPR purposes”.

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1358377475219202053?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So if they lift restrictions they won't schedule flights even though there would be demand? That's a pretty weird way to run a business unless of course he would be trying to spite the government and piss off people. He's never done that before I suppose.

The likes of Ryanair can go into, and pull out of, airports at the drop of a hat. Once there are slots available then they will pile capacity on if there are customers. If they pull out and lose their slots, others would gladly take them later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Are there any indications as to what proof you have to bring that your trip is essential or that you wont be coming back?
    If I decide to move abroad with my family until the pandemic is over, what kind of proof do I have to bring?

The upper management have acted appalling throughout this. Taking a 800 million bailout at the start of this off the UK gov while simultaneously trying to prevent other airlines from being bailed out.
    They've obstructed the public health response to this pandemic at every opportunity.
    https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1358377475219202053?s=20[/ur

When the business has to be planned well in advice then try planning a season of Airline routes, capacity, staff etc. when there's more restrictions being brought in weekly and no plan to come out of it... then you withdraw your planes and put them into countries and onto routes where you can make more money... that's how they work...

Ah yes, MOL spoke up about NPHET and the Governments mishandling of the Covid response...and surprise surprise the Irish media bite back and attack one of Ireland's biggest and most successful homegrown business...

The likes of Ryanair can go into, and pull out of, airports at the drop of a hat. Once there are slots available then they will pile capacity on if there are customers. If they pull out and lose their slots, others would gladly take them later on.

The "drop of a hat" lasts a season..Summer..Winter...etc.. And who do you suggest will simply jump into Ryanair's Irish slots and offer the same frequency of flights at the same price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's absolutely astounding the ignorance of how important tourism and the aviation sector is to the economy of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's absolutely astounding the ignorance of how important tourism and the aviation sector is to the economy of this country.

No it's not when you see the level of discourse over the past year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement