Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    When the business has to be planned well in advice then try planning a season of Airline routes, capacity, staff etc. when there's more restrictions being brought in weekly and no plan to come out of it... then you withdraw your planes and put them into countries and onto routes where you can make more money... that's how they work...

Ah yes, MOL spoke up about NPHET and the Governments mishandling of the Covid response...and surprise surprise the Irish media bite back and attack one of Ireland's biggest and most successful homegrown business...

I understand it must be very difficult to plan but not impossible. He is always dropping routes at the drop of a hat because some airport didn't bend the knee enough. Point is the routes that are most profitable will be the ones with planes.

Now this pent up demand that is building surely they'll reopen Irish routes asap as we are an island and effectively a captured market.

As to the rest of your point perhaps it would be better in the conspiracy section? I don't think the Irish Media bite back I'd say it was a covid outbreak that did that. The same type that can't happen on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

It's absolutely astounding the ignorance of how important tourism and the aviation sector is to the economy of this country.

For a country that depends heavily on expats with large multinational companies basing themselves here, the travel situation paints a horrible picture for non Irish and the Irish economy in the short term.

Being told you can't visit parents and family for an indefinite amount of time and in some cases have to pay a potential equivalent of £1,750 to quarantine on your return to Ireland is a horrible thought.

Santan wrote: »
    2k fine, 28 days to pay! And people are ok with this?, they go along with this?. And the scum that breaks into your house or steals your car or fakes an injury claim get to walk away Scott free!! I for one can't wait for the next FF or FG person to knock on my door, I know in the grand scheme of things it will achieve nothing, but I will get some satisfaction from grilling them for going along with this. I am genuinely shocked at how quickly people have turned against one another, I really did not think a government could do something like this so quickly. Honest to God, I remember reading in history class about brothers turning on brothers during the civil war and trying to imagine what that could have been like, little did I know all it took for someone to turn on another person now was wanting to take a holiday in the summer, not even right now, during a level 5, which I can at least try to understand if it annoyed a person, but to think we have people coming out and saying even if we are into low double digits and you do everything the HSE requires, test, quarantine if needed, you will still be scorned and shamed, catholic Ireland of the 60's gone but not forgotten. Christ lets go all out and go game of thrones on people and have them do a walk of shame if they dare have a pint this summer without an €9 meal. Jesus christ I really really am not a conspiracy theorist of any means, and I do think all the basic things we need to do, we should continue even if it's for 2 more years big deal, but sometimes these people in charge and making up the rules as they go on, or changing the rules 48 hours after telling us this is how it will be for 4 months or whatever, sometimes these idiots do not have our best interests in mind, right now it's in their interest to deflect how bad a job the are doing in managing this problem. In my experience bad management gets sacked not rewarded with pay rises and extra holidays.

But But But Sinn Féin support the fines and want to go further as do PbF so who ya gonna vote for?
    Foreign holidays are illegal in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I understand it must be very difficult to plan but not impossible. He is always dropping routes at the drop of a hat because some airport didn't bend the knee enough. Point is the routes that are most profitable will be the ones with planes.Now this pent up demand that is building surely they'll reopen Irish routes asap as we are an island and effectively a captured market. As to the rest of your point perhaps it would be better in the conspiracy section? I don't think the Irish Media bite back I'd say it was a covid outbreak that did that. The same type that can't happen on a plane.

Yes, he can pull routes out of small regional airports within mainland Europe quite quickly as part of his negotiating strategy to get reduced costs from smaller airports which benefits them with higher passenger numbers,which is quite different from taking major airline capacity from an Island nation on the wrong site of Brexit Britain... What do you suggest we do here without them? Hop on a Ferry to the UK, get the train to an airport and fly from there? We're an Island here, there's no Autobahn or Autostrada we can hop onto here, or no TGV trains and channel tunnels...

Honestly, keep taking the Blue pill if you believe these articles slating Ryanair just suddenly appeared in the media out of nowhere based on information that came out over a month previous....

• Advertisement

Yes, he can pull routes out of small regional airports within mainland Europe quite quickly as part of his negotiating strategy to get reduced costs from smaller airports which benefits them with higher passenger numbers,which is quite different from taking major airline capacity from an Island nation on the wrong site of Brexit Britain... What do you suggest we do here without them? Hop on a Ferry to the UK, get the train to an airport and fly from there? We're an Island here, there's no Autobahn or Autostrada we can hop onto here, or no TGV trains and channel tunnels...

Honestly, keep taking the Blue pill if you believe these articles slating Ryanair just suddenly appeared in the media out of nowhere based on information that came out over a month previous....

Hang on though. Is there not a chance he'll just keep the routes open as the cost of refunding the tickets would be more than running the flight?

That worked out quite nicely last time for them, not so much for the people waiting months for refunds who tried to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hang on though. Is there not a chance he'll just keep the routes open as the cost of refunding the tickets would be more than running the flight?
    That worked out quite nicely last time for them, not so much for the people waiting months for refunds who tried to do the right thing.

Last year you could leave the country and return without recieving a fine or having Primetime and Zara King too waiting for you as you landed....
    This year they will reduce the capacity to a minimum and try pack what aircraft they have left, even if half full the flight will still operate...
    People cancelled their own flights and Airlines don't just pop the money back into your account then and there... I've waited months and months for refunds last year from 3 airlines in Europe.... and only got tax back off 1 of them, the other I just took the hit.

Putting on my devil's advocate hat,these anti flying measures are designed to prevent new foreign variants entering the country
    Generally speaking our government(s) haven't cared about that or mores the point thought it pointless unless the UK were doing it
    They are now and have put pressure on the Irish government to follow suit
    Its not really about domestic spread,its about preventing faster domestic spread via new foreign variants
    The British one was imported and together with Xmas gave us our massive 3rd wave
    With the Ar5e the EU are making of vaccines purchase,we need to avoid a 4th wave
    Last night's prime time investigates on covid in Tallaght hospital was a shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

After last year its just surprising people still hold Ryanair up as being some kind of standard. Not many people can just burn money and do without the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Last year you could leave the country and return without recieving a fine or having Primetime and Zara King too waiting for you as you landed....
    This year they will reduce the capacity to a minimum and try pack what aircraft they have left, even if half full the flight will still operate...
    People cancelled their own flights and Airlines don't just pop the money back into your account then and there... I've waited months and months for refunds last year from 3 airlines in Europe.... and only got tax back off 1 of them, the other I just took the hit.

I couldn’t care less who is waiting as I disembark the plane.

A mask , a baseball cap and a pair of shades slapped on your head.

May as well be the invisible man for all they’ll recognise.

Just wave at the camera as you walk on by.

• Advertisement

You weren't due a refund if the flight was operating which most were. That left most people who followed government guidelines out of pocket.

I'd say this approach is not possible this summer because most people won't be caught twice.

Even with all the jab and go fanfare people aren't stupid. They'll be left holding the bag.

The fines are just for the diehards / travel to costa del sol is in my nature types.

dalyboy wrote: »

And then the Garda says two words......... passport please :confused:

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1359557962038132745?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 16,146 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pjohnson wrote: »
    After last year its just surprising people still hold Ryanair up as being some kind of standard. Not many people can just burn money and do without the refund.

MOL couldn't give two fcuks about covid so long as he has your money. Completely amoral and a downright liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

MOL couldn't give two fcuks about covid so long as he has your money. Completely amoral and a downright liar.

And people are happily ready to double down and book again. Probably be surprised if it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭HBC08

dalyboy wrote: »

You couldn't care less and then go on to describe lengths you'd go to including a disguise to not be recognised.
    Lol!

Maybe you should have a baseball cap and shades on in your passport pic too? It's the perfect crime!

And then the Garda says two words......... passport please :confused:

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1359557962038132745?s=20

“I’m an essential traveler guard.”

Zero confusion

(Btw , I’m mainly referring to being in any way intimidated by media placed at the airport arrival gates, nothing else)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I feel like screaming... At what or whom, I'm not sure but the mere thought of being fined for trying to leave this bloody island boils my blood.... it's just the final nail in the coffin of an utterly sh**e situation :(

Sorry, just needed to vent to others who I assume feel the same way and love nothing more than getting to the departure gates and flying away for fun, adventure and new experiences.

HBC08 wrote: »
    You couldn't care less and then go on to describe lengths you'd go to including a disguise to not be recognised.
    Lol!

Ahh , the mask is now standard wear in public . Baseball cap and shades are not a disguise either. Just holiday accessories.

So it begs the question . What you on about ? I’ve No idea !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I feel like screaming... At what or whom, I'm not sure but the mere thought of being fined for trying to leave this bloody island boils my blood.... it's just the final nail in the coffin of an utterly sh**e situation :(

Sorry, just needed to vent to others who I assume feel the same way and love nothing more than getting to the departure gates and flying away for fun, adventure and new experiences.

It is absolutely nuts and the fact that so many sheep think this is an ok measure is quite scary. One way tickets will become the norm.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I feel like screaming... At what or whom, I'm not sure .

Scream at your local TD and tell them to fcuk right off if they think you are voting for them in the future.

Ive done it and made it clear not to deliver any FG or FF literature through my door. And they wont be getting my vote again. Life long FG supporter by the way since I was 18.

• Advertisement

I had a flight booked and paid for for mid May to Portugal.Its obviously not going to happen and I'm not looking forward to trying to get money back from Ryanair.Pain in the hoop but it'll be dealt with hopefully

This can go one of two ways for most people.
    Stamp your virtual feet on fb/Twitter and boards for the next 3 or 4 months and go nowhere.

Realise that nobody is going anywhere til at least the summer and deal with it.

There's no problem with essential travel. Anything else is looking quite risky with those fines and simply not worth it for most.
    Hopefully numbers will be more manageable and some flight corridors become ok in the summer. It's a ****ty time for non essential travel.

It is absolutely nuts and the fact that so many sheep think this is an ok measure is quite scary. One way tickets will become the norm.

I know!!!! I'm shocked at the fact that people are happy to essentially be stuck here. Ugh, it's utterly depressing. I'm trying to be positive but f Me, it's difficult.

HBC08 wrote: »
    I had a flight booked and paid for for mid May to Portugal.Its obviously not going to happen and I'm not looking forward to trying to get money back from Ryanair.Pain in the hoop but it'll be dealt with hopefully

This can go one of two ways for most people.
    Stamp your virtual feet on fb/Twitter and boards for the next 3 or 4 months and go nowhere.

Realise that nobody is going anywhere til at least the summer and deal with it.

This is true. Deal with it but flipping hell, it's difficult! Guess no pandemic is ever easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I feel so vindicated by my decision this week to leave Ireland, I have permanent residency in another country so I have the option to relocate to freedom. Have my suitcase out and gradually packing it for the weekend, a sense of sorrow and melancholy as this is my home but my health and freedom to enjoy my life comes before all else. I'll drink a glass of whiskey in Dublin before boarding in salute to the people of Ireland who have to endure this tyranny. My first job after wheels down will be to get a haircut and massage.

Don't blame you,it's very frustrating.
    Hang in there, it's only temporary and we'll be able to go on holidays again.
    Once the tide turns and it's safe to travel then it'll all open up again,people wont accept any less.
    I really hope they'll be before mid summer,but following on from our conservative approach it'll more likely be Autumn.
    Not ideal for anyone but not worth letting it ruin your year either.

theguzman wrote: »
    I feel so vindicated by my decision this week to leave Ireland, I have permanent residency in another country so I have the option to relocate to freedom. Have my suitcase out and gradually packing it for the weekend, a sense of sorrow and melancholy as this is my home but my health and freedom to enjoy my life comes before all else. I'll drink a glass of whiskey in Dublin before boarding in salute to the people of Ireland who have to endure this tyranny. My first job after wheels down will be to get a haircut and massage.

Where is this magical country with zero restrictions and no covid

What about people who live abroad returning to Ireland?

I live on the European continent and hoping to move back to Ireland permanently.

Does this mean I may be slapped with a fine of 2,000 euros on entering the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluepurple

I live on the European continent and hoping to move back to Ireland permanently.

Does this mean I may be slapped with a fine of 2,000 euros on entering the country?

No one is being fined coming into the country.

• Advertisement

No
    Of course not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement