Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Are there any indications as to what proof you have to bring that your trip is essential or that you wont be coming back?
    If I decide to move abroad with my family until the pandemic is over, what kind of proof do I have to bring?

Sorry if I ask this again but maybe it was taken as a provocation or rhetorical question.
    I’m an expat in Ireland, my folks are in Italy and my wife’s folks are in Spain. Given the posturing from the government here (and what we judge as utter incompetence with handling the pandemic so far) we are seriously thinking about going back home until this whole thing passes. We both work from home and could have the possibility to request our employer to let us leave for 6-9months.
    So my question is: If I show up at the airport with wife, kids, suitcases 2hrs before my flight with the honest intention of not returning until 2022, what kind of proof do I have to bring? Although I have great respect for the guards here, I wouldn’t want to find myself at the security point of the airport trying to convince a skeptical officer without knowing what he/she might be looking for.
    There was a discussion on the Dutch requirements to enter the country earlier. The website is very thorough and describes in detail what documents you need e.g. translated documents notarized by an embassy, etc
    It seems like the guards are judge jury and executioner so maybe some guideline would help
    Honest question, not trying to break the rules

There are restrictions covering everyone that enters the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

That's what I wasn't sure of.

I mean, if you think about the number of Irish living abroad, it would be understandable why government would seek to disincentivize a large number of Irish people coming back from all manner of countries all over the world.

Irish people coming into the country isn't exactly "essential" either, as the visit can be deferred to another time.

Depending on where you’re coming from though, you may have to quarantine in a hotel at your own expense after this legislation comes in next week.

That’s where the €2k cost could come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,970 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is absolutely nuts and the fact that so many sheep think this is an ok measure is quite scary. One way tickets will become the norm.

The sheep are the unimaginative people that just want to follow their buddies to the Costa Del Sol the same as last year. The ones that have suddenly become one with their "mental health" and can't cope because they might have to use their brain and think for themselves for once!

Just get over it and make the best of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluepurple

Depending on where you’re coming from though, you may have to quarantine in a hotel at your own expense after this legislation comes in next week.

That’s where the €2k cost could come into it.

If you’re coming from South Africa or Brazil which would make up a very small proportion of incoming passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

bluepurple wrote: »
    If you’re coming from South Africa or Brazil which would make up a very small proportion of incoming passengers.

From next week as sleepy Ryan said on RTE this evening, more countries will be added. To follow the UK ‘red list’ of 33 countries, could be EU countries, prob all of South America etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Simple question I want answered from our politicians imposing these harsh and draconian measures.

Can EU citizens visit their family for personal reasons in the coming months? What does the Garda say to that if a Polish woman arrives at the airport, heading home to visit their family for a personal family matter?

theguzman wrote: »
    I feel so vindicated by my decision this week to leave Ireland, I have permanent residency in another country so I have the option to relocate to freedom. Have my suitcase out and gradually packing it for the weekend, a sense of sorrow and melancholy as this is my home but my health and freedom to enjoy my life comes before all else. I'll drink a glass of whiskey in Dublin before boarding in salute to the people of Ireland who have to endure this tyranny. My first job after wheels down will be to get a haircut and massage.

#firstworldproblems :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

A person being vaccinated only means that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be less. There are some claims that vaccines reduced transmission to a third, but it does not eliminate it.

Which just goes to prove how f*cking stupid and utterly pointless it is to continue to lockdown while we wait for perfectly healthy and non-vulnerable people to be vaccinated.

Once the vulnerable groups are done, that should be it - fully open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If any of these €500/€2000 Fines have any credence in the court of law, there is something seriously wrong with our laws and they need to be amended.

Government are telling us we cannot leave the country. How the **** can that stand up on a human rights level?

• Advertisement

Which just goes to prove how f*cking stupid and utterly pointless it is to continue to lockdown while we wait for perfectly healthy and non-vulnerable people to be vaccinated.

Once the vulnerable groups are done, that should be it - fully open.

There could well be people who are so vulnerable that they can't receive a vaccination. Those will need everyone else to be vaccinated first. I don't know if it is the case for corona, but I know it happens in relation to children and measles. Some genuinely can't receive them - I'm not talking anti-vaxxers

If you personally don't mind catching it or risking bringing back to your own family, why don't you volunteer at somewhere like testing centre or some other healthcare setting. Do hospitals ever have volunteers in to do anything? Even manning desks or giving out information?

• theguzman wrote: »
    I feel so vindicated by my decision this week to leave Ireland, I have permanent residency in another country so I have the option to relocate to freedom. Have my suitcase out and gradually packing it for the weekend, a sense of sorrow and melancholy as this is my home but my health and freedom to enjoy my life comes before all else. I'll drink a glass of whiskey in Dublin before boarding in salute to the people of Ireland who have to endure this tyranny. My first job after wheels down will be to get a haircut and massage.

Tyranny it is not. This is something you have repeatedly said.

Go travel and get some perspective. Be prepared for the fact that the grass in these times may not be greener. Its a different more unpredictable world out there than the world we travelled pre pandemic.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

If any of these €500/€2000 Fines have any credence in the court of law, there is something seriously wrong with our laws and they need to be amended.

Government are telling us we cannot leave the country. How the **** can that stand up on a human rights level?

They are not telling us we cannot leave, they are actively trying to dissuade people from leaving.
    Very few human rights are absolute, which ones do you feel they are abusing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'd say a human rights level is covered under essential travel and by human rights law.

Holidays is not covered. It's been a giant piss take throughout.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimesPol/status/1359541648875687940?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bikeman1

How do the Gardaí chase up a fine for a one way ticket to leave the country and WFH elsewhere?

Can I have your address Sir?

Certainly, 123 Plaza Mayor, Madrid, Spain.

One way ticket with the intention of migrating to Spain. That could never be challenged.

Anyway, all this will blow over in a few months when case numbers are on the floor and Europe is open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Scream at your local TD and tell them to fcuk right off if they think you are voting for them in the future.

Ive done it and made it clear not to deliver any FG or FF literature through my door. And they wont be getting my vote again. Life long FG supporter by the way since I was 18.

Just emailed them all including one not in government but wants even harsher restrictions.

I'd say a human rights level is covered under essential travel and by human rights law.

Holidays is not covered. It's been a giant piss take throughout.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimesPol/status/1359541648875687940?s=20

It says they were returning from a holiday OR VISIT abroad. So it going to include those on essential visits. What this people who hadn’t ‘visited’ abroad were doing in the airport arrivals I am not sure.

It’s a dodgy statistic and it’s dodgy reporting

There could well be people who are so vulnerable that they can't receive a vaccination. Those will need everyone else to be vaccinated first. I don't know if it is the case for corona, but I know it happens in relation to children and measles. Some genuinely can't receive them - I'm not talking anti-vaxxers

And when was the last time countries, nations, and the global economy was halted for those children that can't get the measles vaccine?

Oh yea it doesn't happen. Don't forget, we're told that this is all in place to prevent the healthcare system being over run. Unless you are suggesting that there is enough people in that tiny, tiny minority you speak of to overrun the entire health system, your reasoning doesn't add up at all.
    If you personally don't mind catching it or risking bringing back to your own family, why don't you volunteer at somewhere like testing centre or some other healthcare setting. Do hospitals ever have volunteers in to do anything? Even manning desks or giving out information?

What would I want to take part in that for? Why don't you volunteer on at a measles vaccination centre?

I've taken 12 flights during this the pandemic and had a big house party with 40 odd people rubbing shoulders. Does that make you feel better about how I feel about the risk of this thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

It's absolutely astounding the ignorance of how important tourism and the aviation sector is to the economy of this country.

Can’t be emphasised enough, + the multinational / expat factor based here as another poster mentioned. It’s absolutely shooting ourselves in the foot.

Very very worried for where the country is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

The privilege evident on this thread is jaw-dropping. There are more than a few people in Ireland who never have the option of going on a foreign holiday in ordinary times. Honestly, why would you want to go on holiday right now? There is a pandemic, flights are being cancelled at the drop of a hat, getting refunds are a pain, costs are going up, covid tests (non-refundable cost) and quarantines are becoming the norm, and you run the risk of your destination going into lockdown at a moment's notice. I know people who went on holiday last year and were not allowed to leave the hotel once they arrived. Some people need to travel to move home or for family emergencies, but honestly, it is not worth it for a bit of sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Sorry if I ask this again but maybe it was taken as a provocation or rhetorical question.
    I’m an expat in Ireland, my folks are in Italy and my wife’s folks are in Spain. Given the posturing from the government here (and what we judge as utter incompetence with handling the pandemic so far) we are seriously thinking about going back home until this whole thing passes. We both work from home and could have the possibility to request our employer to let us leave for 6-9months.
    So my question is: If I show up at the airport with wife, kids, suitcases 2hrs before my flight with the honest intention of not returning until 2022, what kind of proof do I have to bring? Although I have great respect for the guards here, I wouldn’t want to find myself at the security point of the airport trying to convince a skeptical officer without knowing what he/she might be looking for.
    There was a discussion on the Dutch requirements to enter the country earlier. The website is very thorough and describes in detail what documents you need e.g. translated documents notarized by an embassy, etc
    It seems like the guards are judge jury and executioner so maybe some guideline would help
    Honest question, not trying to break the rules

Short answer, whats keeping you here if you have other options. Italy and Spain will both be close to normal this Summer, hospitality already opening in on limited basis in Italy.
    Ireland will still be heavily restricted in 5 months. Do yourself and your family some good. GO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Dr. Em wrote: »
    The privilege evident on this thread is jaw-dropping. There are more than a few people in Ireland who never have the option of going on a foreign holiday in ordinary times.

What a bizarre statement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

There's no problem with essential travel. Anything else is looking quite risky with those fines and simply not worth it for most.
    Hopefully numbers will be more manageable and some flight corridors become ok in the summer. It's a ****ty time for non essential travel.

I have no urge right now to travel anywhere but this charade about the summer is absolutely nuts. It is too early to be saying anything - positive or negative.

A person being vaccinated only means that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be less. There are some claims that vaccines reduced transmission to a third, but it does not eliminate it.

Your being vaccinated simply means that if you come, then you are unlikely to end up in one of the ICU beds here.

Travellers have to quarantine so that they don't bring in more of the virus (potentially new strains). You quarantining is to stop you from giving it to us. Your being vaccinated does not eliminate that.

No, as was pointed out before, that could be the case for some but most should be immune. That's what vaccines do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

From next week as sleepy Ryan said on RTE this evening, more countries will be added. To follow the UK ‘red list’ of 33 countries, could be EU countries, prob all of South America etc

Won’t be EU countries

The privilege evident on this thread is jaw-dropping. There are more than a few people in Ireland who never have the option of going on a foreign holiday in ordinary times. Honestly, why would you want to go on holiday right now? There is a pandemic, flights are being cancelled at the drop of a hat, getting refunds are a pain, costs are going up, covid tests (non-refundable cost) and quarantines are becoming the norm, and you run the risk of your destination going into lockdown at a moment's notice. I know people who went on holiday last year and were not allowed to leave the hotel once they arrived. Some people need to travel to move home or for family emergencies, but honestly, it is not worth it for a bit of sun.

Privilege? will you f*ck off! What does people not normally being able to afford a holiday have to do with anything?

It's not about a week in Benidorm, people are allowed to disagree with bad policy and this should be challenged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

And then the Garda says two words......... passport please :confused:

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1359557962038132745?s=20

I genuinely laughed watching that video. It looked like something from father Ted. Not one traveller passed throughout the whole segment. Gardai looked bored off their tits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What a bizarre statement

That's what your up against, 50% of the electorate never have or never will leave Ireland and have no idea what the interconnectivity between Ireland and the EU means to people and the economy.

It's a losing battle, once it starts impacting the MNCs things will change.

Us moderates will just have to bite our lips for a few months until the populist furore dies down.

Lots of intelligent friend's have been sucked into this cynical move by our government to distract from much more important failures. A tactic map i never thought an Irish government would follow....but these are changed times.

They aren't telling you that, AGAIN

They are saying no non essential travel and that's not an issue legally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Yes

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement