Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

hots wrote: »
    For people saying Lanzarote has zero cases or Benidorm is empty and covid free, you must realise that's precisely because of the travel ban right? It's extremely unlikely that once the tourists return these are exactly the places where most transmissions are likely to occur?

I'm planning to travel but at least own what you're doing, taking a calculated risk and accepting it.

the same could be said for popular tourist towns in Ireland.

i think at this stage people are more than aware of the risks and will act accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Dante7 wrote: »
    There was a queue in reception this morning with people checking in. Spanish, French and German. Still plenty of room by the pool.

enjoy the holiday, cant wait to go in about 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Europeans can come here with our loose quarantine, but we can’t visit Europe. How silly is that. Experts who want zero Covid by September forget that, if other countries are not at zero then, do we extend ban on travel to December or beyond. People have done well but the Government testing and tracing are not there, we hear. Why is September so special so that we have zero Covid, children at school, testing and tracing perfect, in our perfect isolated island with severe unemployment and inadequate health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Are you really spending your holidays positing updates to boards.ie???

How sad.

I was a bit sad earlier actually. I passed by my deceased mother's favourite hotel and it reminded me of the last time we were here and how my father couldn't come this time. But then I read your post and it reminded me that me being on holiday is really annoying people like you, and that cheered me right up. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

But then I read your post and it reminded me that me being on holiday is really annoying people like you, and that cheered me right up. Thanks for that.

Righteous burn!

Have a great hol, thanks for the updates, some of us really appreciate the first hand account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I was a bit sad earlier actually. I passed by my deceased mother's favourite hotel and it reminded me of the last time we were here and how my father couldn't come this time. But then I read your post and it reminded me that me being on holiday is really annoying people like you, and that cheered me right up. Thanks for that.

Somebody being on holidays doesn't bother me in the slightest, and of course your free to spend your time as you see fit.

Its that spending my time posting to an online forum isnt anywhere near the top of my list of priorities when im away. But good on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Europeans can come here with our loose quarantine, but we can’t visit Europe. How silly is that. Experts who want zero Covid by September forget that, if other countries are not at zero then, do we extend ban on travel to December or beyond. People have done well but the Government testing and tracing are not there, we hear. Why is September so special so that we have zero Covid, children at school, testing and tracing perfect, in our perfect isolated island with severe unemployment and inadequate health service.

Flights are running and no one will force you to quarantine when you return. Just book and go, the guidance not to travel is a fearmongering effort to stop people getting back to normal, but there is a reason that countries in Europe have now reopened and agreed with themselves that travel without quarantine is permitted.

Flights are running and no one will force you to quarantine when you return. Just book and go, the guidance not to travel is a fearmongering effort to stop people getting back to normal, but there is a reason that countries in Europe have now reopened and agreed with themselves that travel without quarantine is permitted.

Guidance not to travel is rooted in the medical evidence that has brought us to this point in the pandemic where our case numbers and deaths are exceptionally low, we are only a few weeks off seeing consistent zeros.

The risk of increased cases and the possible resultant partial lockdown increases when people travel.

This of course will be exasperated by the lack of testing upon return, poor tracking systems for tracing, any quarantine, people being free to return to work etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Guidance not to travel is rooted in the medical evidence that has brought us to this point in the pandemic where our case numbers and deaths are exceptionally low, we are only a few weeks off seeing consistent zeros.

The risk of increased cases and the possible resultant partial lockdown increases when people travel.

This of course will be exasperated by the lack of testing upon return, poor tracking systems for tracing, any quarantine, people being free to return to work etc etc

Fear, panic, stress, anxiety.

If you have access to this "medical evidence" can you please share it and also can you explain why Ireland is different to the rest of Europe with its "guidance"?

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/01/which-european-countries-have-opened-their-borders-ahead-of-the-summer-holiday-season

I'm leaving work now to go to the pub so may not see your reply for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is flights to and from the US allowed here now as many yanks in Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

jonnny68 wrote: »
    It's completely ludicrous in so many regards.

1: Many resorts like Lanzarote for example have zero cases on covid-19 at present, yes ZERO, so you've about as much chance winning the lotto than catching the virus.

2: Everyone has to wear a mask on a plane you wont get on one without one,most flights would be lucky to be half full so it's as safe as getting on a train, luas or bus here.

3: With everyone supposedly staying in Ireland this year, popular holiday resorts will be far far busier than usual, this alone would greatly increase a spike in infections as opposed to a half full holiday report abroad with zero cases.

4: People who have already booked and paid for holidays, they arent going to be covered by insurance so stand to lose a lot of money, should they just suck it up and lose their money.

5:Job losses - what about the jobs already lost in the travel industry, thousands more jobs would be lost if people arent travelling abroad, should these people just suck it up.

6: Last but not least - a number of other medical experts in Ireland and Europe have since come forward and said international travel to countries with a low rate of covid-19 should be allowed, completely contradicting the ridiculous stance the Government / Holohan are taking here.

So is that enough reasons for you or do you want me to continue.

This is great stuff. Please continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

There is currently one flight per day to New York and Chicago operated by Aerlingus from Dublin.

These supposed groups of Americans in Killarney (also heard about them on a Cork talk radio show) could also have travelled via London or elsewhere and connected to Belfast, Dublin or Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There was a piece on red FM yesterday about a few Americans who came in the last week and holidaying in Kerry. Are u seeing much evidence of it?

Fear, panic, stress, anxiety.

If you have access to this "medical evidence" can you please share it and also can you explain why Ireland is different to the rest of Europe with its "guidance"?

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/01/which-european-countries-have-opened-their-borders-ahead-of-the-summer-holiday-season

I'm leaving work now to go to the pub so may not see your reply for a while.

The people who have been making the decisions have access to the necessary data, we haven’t for the very much most part been given bad Information by the experts who are disseminating this data so I for one have no reason to start thinking they are telling the truth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

we are only a few weeks off seeing consistent zeros.

We won’t be seeing any consistant zeros. The virus is here to stay and it’s going to be normal for spikes and clusters here and there as we live our normal lives.

We have to learn to live with it. Travelling is going to be one of the ways we will be learning to live with it. People have family abroad.

If a vaccine comes even better.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    We won’t be seeing any consistant zeros. The virus is here to stay and it’s going to be normal for spikes and clusters here and there as we live our normal lives.

We have to learn to live with it. Travelling is going to be one of the ways we will be learning to live with it. People have family abroad.

If a vaccine comes even better.

We have almost the same geographic advantage as New Zealand, had we had a stricter and faster approach at the outset of this then we would be further down the road.

Days of zero cases and zero deaths are completely achievable, and we’re it not for the response of nursing homes and meat factories we would be in a better position.

If we allow travel unchecked then we haven’t a hope of keeping clusters down, if we restrict and regulate it some bit then we can, at the moment it looks pretty clear that travel is both unchecked and unrestricted. A recipe for spikes, clusters and cases.

The problem with travel is that it’s for a reason and that reason is generally completely at odds with practicing social distancing.

We have almost the same geographic advantage as New Zealand, had we had a stricter and faster approach at the outset of this then we would be further down the road.

Days of zero cases and zero deaths are completely achievable, and we’re it not for the response of nursing homes and meat factories we would be in a better position.

If we allow travel unchecked then we haven’t a hope of keeping clusters down, if we restrict and regulate it some bit then we can, at the moment it looks pretty clear that travel is both unchecked and unrestricted. A recipe for spikes, clusters and cases.

The problem with travel is that it’s for a reason and that reason is generally completely at odds with practicing social distancing.

It seems you want to ban travel for good by the sounds of it. Bad news, it’s not going to happen. Get over it

People need to travel who have families abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

My partner's company is enforcing two weeks mandatory unpaid leave after holiday abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

bladespin wrote: »
    Righteous burn!

Have a great hol, thanks for the updates, some of us really appreciate the first hand account.

yep big time .

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It seems you want to ban travel for good by the sounds of it. Bad news, it’s not going to happen. Get over it

People need to travel who have families abroad.

It seems that you haven't read anything that i posted.
    I’m all for travel, but just to and fro the countries that have similar or better levels of infection to ourselves and testing / quarantine as needed upon return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Harika wrote: »
    My partner's company is enforcing two weeks mandatory unpaid leave after holiday abroad.

Depends on the terms agreed but generally they wouldn’t have the right to do that. I’d certainly be challenging it.

Harika wrote: »

That seems excessive but presumably it’s made in the interests of the health of their employees and the liability of knowingly allowing somebody to increase their risk and then come back.

Wouldn’t something like incubation period plus 24 hours followed by test and awaiting results be shorter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

That seems excessive but presumably it’s made in the interests of the health of their employees and the liability of knowingly allowing somebody to increase their risk and then come back.

Wouldn’t something like incubation period plus 24 hours followed by test and awaiting results be shorter?

Agreeing with both of you. Just not the place to discuss it. While the state of Ireland doesn't seem to make nails with heads, companies are creating facts that will disturb traveling abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

We share a border with the UK which effectively removes that advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Days of zero cases and zero deaths are completely achievable, and we’re it not for the response of nursing homes and meat factories we would be in a better position..

I luv it when New Zealand gets dragged into it...:D

NZ doesn't have a border with another jurisdiction. NZ isn't a member of a 27 country borderless union.

A zero case could have been possible back in March with a short sharp lockdown, masks, border closures... not 3 f'kin months later!

Honestly, come up with some fresh arguments that are backed up by more people than Holohan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

When do you think people will be safe to the US again? I had planned to go this August but cancelled obviously and thought I’d go in Feb/March but even that looks a stretch to me now.
    Granted a lot can change in 6 months but curious what othe people would guess?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    When do you think people will be safe to the US again? I had planned to go this August but cancelled obviously and thought I’d go in Feb/March but even that looks a stretch to me now.

I was supposed to go last April. Who knows a lot could happen between now and March, even a slight chance of a vaccine. It also depends what state you’re going to, for example Connecticut is doing ok.

I’m aiming for March / April for Connecticut , have to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Apart from the Virus, it's a very contentious election year and partisan and racial tensions are escalating all the time...
    When you see all the ordinary people going around with AR15 assault rifles it seems like a country to be avoided...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I'm in Rosslare, ferry arrived today with a good few people from the UK on it. That's just today.
    It's pretty frustrating that that is happening when people considering travel from Ireland are being treated like selfish, inconsiderate twits.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Apart from the Virus, it's a very contentious election year and partisan and racial tensions are escalating all the time...
    When you see all the ordinary people going around with AR15 assault rifles it seems like a country to be avoided...

My partner is American, from a mid-west Republican state, and I spend a lot of time over there. I can assure you that anyone going around with an AR15 is not an ordinary person, and your post is a little melodramatic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement