Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

We share a border with the UK which effectively removes that advantage.

Hence the word ALMOST.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I luv it when New Zealand gets dragged into it...:D

NZ doesn't have a border with another jurisdiction. NZ isn't a member of a 27 country borderless union.

A zero case could have been possible back in March with a short sharp lockdown, masks, border closures... not 3 f'kin months later!

Honestly, come up with some fresh arguments that are backed up by more people than Holohan!

See above. - ALMOST.

The European Union isn’t borderless.
    We are only days, or maybe a week away from back to back zeros.

It’s pretty simple, travel is and has for some time been the biggest risk to additional infections, if your one of those open up merchants that thinks you know more than the medical experts that have plotted a pretty exemplary course through this illness then you have been well and truly proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We have almost the same geographic advantage as New Zealand, had we had a stricter and faster approach at the outset of this then we would be further down the road.
    New Zealand is in the middle of nowhere.

We are heavily integrated into Europe, lots of people travelling back and forth, and we share a land border with another jurisdiction which was going for herd immunity. So no we are not New Zealand and shouldn't be trying to be New Zealand.

I'm in Rosslare, ferry arrived today with a good few people from the UK on it. That's just today.
    It's pretty frustrating that that is happening when people considering travel from Ireland are being treated like selfish, inconsiderate twits.

This is the problem we have, the government hasn’t effectively communicated with people in the US or UK that we are not open for business, and there are absolutely no restrictions on people traveling, the airlines won’t stop it, the tourists won’t stop it.

If you were from Texas and has for chance to come here, guess what.

It’s the same as when the rugby Match against Italy was cancelled But the fans weren’t stopped from traveling.

The governments approach to travel has been its biggest let down.

hmmm wrote: »
    New Zealand is in the middle of nowhere.

We are heavily integrated into Europe, lots of people travelling back and forth, and we share a land border with another jurisdiction which was going for herd immunity. So no we are not New Zealand and shouldn't be trying to be New Zealand.

ALMOST.

Do you get the word almost was in there, as in we have almost the same geographical advantage as New Zealand. Almost. So we can use that to our advantage by limiting travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I think most would agree that two weeks on a beach or in a sunny resort isn't essential travel.

What about spending a long weekend visiting family or close friends abroad that you haven't seen in an unusually long length of time? It isn't essential in the strict sense of the word but that is very important to a lot of people.

I think most would agree that two weeks on a beach or in a sunny resort isn't essential travel.

What about spending a long weekend visiting family or close friends abroad that you haven't seen in an unusually long length of time? It isn't essential in the strict sense of the word but that is very important to a lot of people.

Some of Those who have the holiday booked and no chance of a refund will argue that it is, that that don’t won’t.

The lack of Coherent and definitive government Advice creates ambiguity and as with ignoring lockdown restrictions people will find a way to justify to themselves something that many reasonable people would see as a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Visiting family is deemed essential air travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

ALMOST.

Do you get the word almost was in there, as in we have almost the same geographical advantage as New Zealand. Almost. So we can use that to our advantage by limiting travel.

We don’t, we share an uncontrolled land border with the UK.

bladespin wrote: »
    We don’t, we share an uncontrolled land border with the UK.

It’s a tough one alright. 7 letters and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

It’s a tough one alright. 7 letters and all that.

Not a all, it’s very simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

See above. - ALMOST.
    The European Union isn’t borderless.
    We are only days, or maybe a week away from back to back zeros.
    It’s pretty simple, travel is and has for some time been the biggest risk to additional infections, if your one of those open up merchants that thinks you know more than the medical experts that have plotted a pretty exemplary course through this illness then you have been well and truly proved wrong.

It is, free travel across the EU without visa's, walk from one country to another if you like.

Go ahead, listen to one set of experts, i'm sure you make all your choices in life based on listening to one set of opinions, so stay home, get your groceries and everything else dropped at your door, and dream of 0 new cases.. Good luck to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Anyone have an idea what the threshold will be in relation to new cases per 100,00 population over past 14 days to make it to the Green List? Right now Ireland is less than 3 but the popular spots for Irish people as of June 30 were UK (22.7), Spain (9.9), France (10.3), Germany (8.9), Portugal (47), Italy (5.2). Most have seen slight increases, whereas Ireland has been decreasing. Opposite end of the scale are Sweden (149) and Latvia (1). Full stats are here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-Resurgence-of-reported-cases-of-COVID-19-in-the-EU-EEA.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Hence the word ALMOST.

In that case I'm almost a millionaire and almost the best football player in the world.

And you almost have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Anyone have an idea what the threshold will be in relation to new cases per 100,00 population over past 14 days to make it to the Green List? Right now Ireland is less than 3 but the popular spots for Irish people as of June 30 were UK (22.7), Spain (9.9), France (10.3), Germany (8.9), Portugal (47), Italy (5.2). Most have seen slight increases, whereas Ireland has been decreasing. Opposite end of the scale are Sweden (149) and Latvia (1). Full stats are here

It's all a farce.

Spain ends up on the list but Portugal doesn't and u really really prefer Portugal? Fly into Spain and get a connecting flight to Portugal or a pick up a hire car or hop a bus.

When it comes to mainland Europe all this green list / air bridge talk really annoys me.

Mainland Europe is now open with free movement of people every which way.

Given what has just been announced by the UK today I really cannot see how any green list announced by Ireland next week will not include most of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Anyone have an idea what the threshold will be in relation to new cases per 100,00 population over past 14 days to make it to the Green List? Right now Ireland is less than 3 but the popular spots for Irish people as of June 30 were UK (22.7), Spain (9.9), France (10.3), Germany (8.9), Portugal (47), Italy (5.2). Most have seen slight increases, whereas Ireland has been decreasing. Opposite end of the scale are Sweden (149) and Latvia (1). Full stats are here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-Resurgence-of-reported-cases-of-COVID-19-in-the-EU-EEA.pdf

This paragraph in that document you linked to caught my eye with regards to the ongoing debate:
    ECDC does not consider travel restrictions within and to the Schengen area as an efficient way to reduce
    transmission within the EU since community transmission is already ongoing in the EU/EEA, and TESSy data show
    that, in June 2020, only 3% of confirmed cases were likely infected in a country different from the reporting
    country. In this phase of the epidemic, imported cases are likely to represent a negligible minority of the cases
    reported in EU/EEA countries and the UK, whatever the incidence in the country of origin is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Damiencm wrote: »
    Spain ends up on the list but Portugal doesn't and u really really prefer Portugal? Fly into Spain and get a connecting flight to Portugal or a pick up a hire car or hop a bus.
    There is a shared responsibility to minimise the risk of the virus, the government isn't going to treat you like a small child and monitor your movements. If Irish people really want to visit hotspots, or not quarantine, or any number of other dangerous things, there's very little we can do as a country other than appeal to whatever sense of decency people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

ZX7R wrote: »
    Visiting family is deemed essential air travel.

Is that correct ZX7R? I only ask because I’m planning to see my mam soon (explained upthread - I’m living in UK and have recently had a baby)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

UK quarantine scrapped. Seeing as we were following them now we really will be the odd one out of absolutely every country near us. This'll be interesting now to see what we do.

https://news.sky.com/story/englands-travel-quarantine-to-be-scrapped-for-trips-from-spain-france-italy-and-germany-12020008

@ bladespin - replying fo a post of yours which is a few days old now but I was about 20 pages behind.
    Your friends / Family from London could get a test there before they go to Ireland. I’m considering it even though I can’t have the virus. But it’s still reassurance of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Is that correct ZX7R? I only ask because I’m planning to see my mam soon (explained upthread - I’m living in UK and have recently had a baby)

I would also like to know this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The people who have been making the decisions have access to the necessary data, we haven’t for the very much most part been given bad Information by the experts who are disseminating this data so I for one have no reason to start thinking they are telling the truth now.

Haha.

Fear mongering nonsense. I love to see you nail your lack of insight to your scarecrow and show off how ridiculous your view is. I take a bow, wish you good night and sleep happy knowing this nonsense attitude does not pervade among our elected decision makers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking at the 10th of July date, one grows suspicious we are literally just going to be copying the Brits on this.

We need to have good sensible controls and not just a broad brush ban them all approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Buy define a hot spot? There was a large outbreak in Malaga this past week that made for some sensationalised headlines but when you go behind the story the outbreak was very much localised to a homeless shelter.

If as you say there is very little we can do as a country then why is there such outrage at people wanting to go on their holidays? If I go to Spain I need a mask on my person at all times or I face the risk of a €100 on the spot fine. I need a mask not just for public transport but for any enclosed space be it a supermarket or a clothes shop.

Rather than try and close ourselves off from the world (and let's face it it's money) would we not be better served by being prepared and getting our own house in order? We have been fairly woeful at this of late

Why not catch up with Europe and see if we can't try and salvage some of our domestic tourism sector and the hundreds of thousands of jobs that rely on it.

We are effectively still closed as a country yet have still managed to import a number of cases, does this not prove that trying to reach a point where we have consecutive periods of zero cases is pie in the sky?

We all have different opinions and it would be a bit mad if we didn't!

My own is that we need to start to get things moving.

My example of people catching connecting flights in order to get around a green list is a bit tongue in cheek but at the same time it's very simple to cross into a neighbouring country in Europe depending on where your hotel is. This still makes a mockery of a green list imo and does nothing but give travel insurance companies an 'out'. AND

I should add lets the government pretend they are doing something.

Has anyone flown between London city and Dublin recently (or know someone who has). Interested in knowing occupancy on this route, is there a website that shows this by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭baldbear

You are totally free not to travel.

Please don't try to restrict the rest of us who are not being governed by fear and hysteria.

Make America great again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has anyone flown between London city and Dublin recently (or know someone who has). Interested in knowing occupancy on this route, is there a website that shows this by any chance?

I know someone who last week. Estimated the flight was 40% full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

ALMOST.

Your definition of almost must be different to everyone else.

Eradication is clearly possible and just within grasp. Allowing travel to bring in this disease is madness.

No one should be coming back in without two weeks enforced quarantine at their expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I would also like to know this

I contacted the department of foreign affairs in relation to a family member who travels once a year to visit there only living sibling.
    They deemed it as essential travel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement