Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I had been planning to go over to Barcelona but am rethinking now. While things are far better than they were, there's still an atmosphere of fear, apparently, and I think it might just end up being massively stressful. The thought of being stuck in a plane seat right next to a stranger isn't super appealing and neither is sanitising my hands with gel dozens of times a day and feeling on edge every time someone coughs or sneezes near me.

Haven't totally decided against it but am way less enthusiastic than I was. Am wondering if it might be better to suck it up, try to save hard for a big special trip when this is finally over and just write this summer off. We'll see.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Visiting family is deemed essential air travel.

Is it? I'm surprised at that. I would have imagined 'essential' meant a funeral or a birth or some other big event, not just that you fancy seeing someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Is it? I'm surprised at that. I would have imagined 'essential' meant a funeral or a birth or some other big event, not just that you fancy seeing someone.

Read the post above your first one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Ah come on, is this a wind up?

p.s. on the off chance that it is not, can you show me where the virus has been eradicated in a country.

p.s.p.s please please please do not say New Zealand as we have nothing in common bar our population size and pasty skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

faceman wrote: »
    I know someone who last week. Estimated the flight was 40% full

Very helpful thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Eradication is clearly possible and just within grasp. Allowing travel to bring in this disease is madness.

No one should be coming back in without two weeks enforced quarantine at their expense.

Enforced quarantine:eek: I know it may look like China with everyone walking around the streets in masks but I don’t think that would work this side of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Our government has deemed it essential, you are in the UK so HMG may view it differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eradication is clearly possible and just within grasp. Allowing travel to bring in this disease is madness.

No one should be coming back in without two weeks enforced quarantine at their expense.

Eradication is not possible unless you are going to pull the shutters down ( which is never going to happen) until an effective vaccine is found . So please use some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I know some cinema booking software will block off seats around a party of people who booked tickets.

Do we know if airlines are doing similar? Obviously such seats can still be sold but perhaps they are/should close off those seats until they are needed when doing automatic seat allocation or allowing passengers to select seats.

If a plane is only 40% full, it doesn't make sense for two strangers to be seated beside each other when other seats are empty.

I contacted the department of foreign affairs in relation to a family member who travels once a year to visit there only living sibling.
    They deemed it as essential travel.

That’s so helpful thank you. Could I ask you to give me the contact details you used so I can do something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

I know some cinema booking software will block off seats around a party of people who booked tickets.

Do we know if airlines are doing similar? Obviously such seats can still be sold but perhaps they are/should close off those seats until they are needed when doing automatic seat allocation or allowing passengers to select seats.

If a plane is only 40% full, it doesn't make sense for two strangers to be seated beside each other when other seats are empty.

Low budget airlines like RyanAir depend on their majority of flights being full like they have been over the past 6 years, approximately. They're running a tight ship, so they’ll naturally try to maximise their earnings causing as little fuss as possible.

Private bus company’s here have been reported for not obeying HSE guidelines and allowing full buses transport passengers to their destination rather than sending out 2 half full bus.

That would only work if the airline new in advance the plane was going to be 60% empty.
    Say those people just didn't turn up, I can't imagine the flight attendants having time to move people around on a tight turn around time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Am wondering if it might be better to suck it up, try to save hard for a big special trip when this is finally over and just write this summer off. We'll see.

The problem is if you write this summer off you’ll have to write next summer off, the summer after that, the summer after that, the summer after that and so on...... the virus isn’t going to go away and you’ll still have the same boards experts on here telling you not to travel for years to come.

However life will find a way, some solution will come up.

That’s so helpful thank you. Could I ask you to give me the contact details you used so I can do something similar?

The number is on the department of travel and foreign affairs website

The number is on the department of travel and foreign affairs website

Ah okay. I’ll ring them tomorrow but was hoping to get something in writing really.

Read the post above your first one

What's your point?

I'm in the UK, not Ireland. Holiday travel will be allowed here soon. If we were told we could make essential trips only, I wouldn't count visiting family as one.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The problem is if you write this summer off you’ll have to write next summer off, the summer after that, the summer after that, the summer after that and so on...... the virus isn’t going to go away and you’ll still have the same boards experts on here telling you not to travel for years to come.

But it might become far less deadly, and far more treatable. Right now there are still so many unknowns. That's what scares me. I think it's completely realistic to think we could get to a point where a combination of immunity (they reckon nearly 20% of Londoners have already had it!), better treatment and improved hygiene measures mean it's far less of a threat than it is right now.

What's your point?

I'm in the UK, not Ireland. Holiday travel will be allowed here soon. If we were told we could make essential trips only, I wouldn't count visiting family as one.

After this amount of time I think visiting family is increasingly justified as essential. People are getting anxious, lonely....many perhaps starting to suffer physically from the mental stress they feel, especially the elderly. In my book, that contributes to a family visit becoming essential, even if it’s overseas

Enforced quarantine:eek: I know it may look like China with everyone walking around the streets in masks but I don’t think that would work this side of the world.

It's worked in Australia bar Victoria where they let private security do the work , everywhere else used the army and police.

Now Victoria is scrambling to lockdown and get their house in order. Interstate borders closed in Australia....

Eradication is not possible unless you are going to pull the shutters down ( which is never going to happen) until an effective vaccine is found . So please use some sense.

You either eradicate it and wait for everyone else to catch up or a vaccine or you have a long drawn out stop start disruption of the economy or you go Donald Trump style let it rip.

Have some sense?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Micky 32 wrote: »

So the ‘boards experts’ on here that are repeating The advice of the medical experts In relation to the current situation know less than you and your ability to look as far as 2024. Send me on the euromillions numbers for tonight when you get a chance.

I think I will listen to what people who know what they are talking about in relation to the short term instead of going on about writing off every summer for years, whatever that means, because a season cannot be “written off”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

But it might become far less deadly, and far more treatable. Right now there are still so many unknowns. That's what scares me. I think it's completely realistic to think we could get to a point where a combination of immunity (they reckon nearly 20% of Londoners have already had it!), better treatment and improved hygiene measures mean it's far less of a threat than it is right now.

I’d doubt that 20% stat for Londoners is accurate.

We know a lot more about the virus now than we did 4 months ago. The virus, unless some mutation occurs, will remain as contagious and lethal as it does now. There’ll either be a vaccine or there won’t and it’s highly likely annual inoculation will be required. There won’t be a significant treatment.

Hygiene standards have improved already and mask wearing is common place. Social distancing is here to stay and face masks are more common.

From the time a vaccine for small pox was introduced in the western world it took 5 years to eradicate that disease so C19 is with us for the long term.

There will be spikes and outbreaks. It’s inevitable. Although I can’t see a second wave being as severe given the drastic hygiene, mask wearing and social distancing in place but each country’s approach has been different. It’s impossible to think a country can achieve absolute zero.

Arguably flying is less risky than buses or trains. Higher hygiene stands and HEPA filters are the norm on planes.

Not belittling your feelings, balance and accepting are important. And wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

So the ‘boards experts’ on here that are repeating The advice of the medical experts In relation to the current situation know less than you and your ability to look as far as 2024. Send me on the euromillions numbers for tonight when you get a chance.

I think I will listen to what people who know what they are talking about in relation to the short term instead of going on about writing off every summer for years, whatever that means, because a season cannot be “written off”

The experts who are making it up as they go along?

Giruilla wrote: »
    The experts who are making it up as they go along?

Yes.

Making it up as they go along is exactly what they are doing.

Because nobody has done this before, so they are exactly making it up as they go along and then taking decisions based on what is happening, They look at the data, all of the available data such as the infection levels, spread of the virus, Research, hospital admissions, movement of people, other countries Experiences, as well as multiples of other data and then they recommend based on that.

They change their mind when additional information comes to light, and they make mistakes because things change.

But yes, they are making it up as they go along, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Yes.

Making it up as they go along is exactly what they are doing.

Because nobody has done this before, so they are exactly making it up as they go along and then taking decisions based on what is happening, They look at the data, all of the available data such as the infection levels, spread of the virus, Research, hospital admissions, movement of people, other countries Experiences, as well as multiples of other data and then they recommend based on that.

They change their mind when additional information comes to light, and they make mistakes because things change.

But yes, they are making it up as they go along, and rightly so.

Right, and there were people all along the way saying Holohan and the WHO were completely incorrect for not recommending wearing masks. People who were saying borders should have been closed immediately back in Feb. The experts are not always correct.
    Our 'experts' in Ireland are nothing of the sort.. all they've been doing is looking at what other countries have done and followed suit. Rest of mainland Europe has already opened up.. what our experts are doing now is simply being inept by making no decision at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The jig is up for the lockdown merchants following the UK's announcement.

France and Spain are good to go this summer!

Thank God we share a border with them.

The slow lad in class has ended up sitting beside someone who's answering the questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The jig is up for the lockdown merchants following the UK's announcement.

France and Spain are good to go this summer!

Thank God we share a border with them.

The slow lad in class has ended up sitting beside someone who's answering the questions.

Ireland wont mirror that the UK do. Micheál last night was hinting at a summer of no travel. Dont be surprised if that's the case while our borders remain open to risky countries such as the US

Giruilla wrote: »
    Right, and there were people all along the way saying Holohan and the WHO were completely incorrect for not recommending wearing masks. People who were saying borders should have been closed immediately back in Feb. The experts are not always correct.
    Our 'experts' in Ireland are nothing of the sort.. all they've been doing is looking at what other countries have done and followed suit. Rest of mainland Europe has already opened up.. what our experts are doing now is simply being inept by making no decision at all.

No, they have looked at what has worked in other countries and done that, and seen what hasn’t worked and avoided that.

They made mistakes, but mistakes based on hindsight because the decisions that were made based on the evidence available can be proven wrong in a fast moving situation.

The rest of mainland Europe hasn’t opened up, parts of it have and parts of it have restrictions.

I agree the lack of a decision is an issue.

No, they have looked at what has worked in other countries and done that, and seen what hasn’t worked and avoided that.

They made mistakes, but mistakes based on hindsight because the decisions that were made based on the evidence available can be proven wrong in a fast moving situation.

The rest of mainland Europe hasn’t opened up, parts of it have and parts of it have restrictions.

I agree the lack of a decision is an issue.

It was badly handled at the outset. Italy and China had already gone in to lockdown, the evidence was there of the wider impact. Our own publicans chose to close before the government instructed them too. The dogs on the street were calling for borders to be closed with Italy and Cheltenham travel to be cancelled. Health service were screaming for PPE.

Later on, we were told it wasn't necessary to wear face masks despite the evidence saying to the contrary.

Cut to today and our borders are still open to high risk countries and face masks are optional. Care homes and direct provision have been ravaged

Bars are allowed to reopen even though the NPHET is talking about "worrying trends"

While we may have gone in to lockdown before some of our neighbours while some good decisions were made during the crisis, it doesn't change the fact that we could have done better and we didnt need hindsight at the time to know that.

Monday, we will have another formal announcement on travel. We will be told not to travel yet our borders will remain open to the USA, Russia, Brazil etc even though every single Shengen member in the EU will keep them closed. Again, no hindsight necessary here. History is already replaying itself.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    It was badly handled at the outset. Italy and China had already gone in to lockdown, the evidence was there of the wider impact. Our own publicans chose to close before the government instructed them too. The dogs on the street were calling for borders to be closed with Italy and Cheltenham travel to be cancelled. Health service were screaming for PPE.

Later on, we were told it wasn't necessary to wear face masks despite the evidence saying to the contrary.

Cut to today and our borders are still open to high risk countries and face masks are optional. Care homes and direct provision have been ravaged

Bars are allowed to reopen even though the NPHET is talking about "worrying trends"

While we may have gone in to lockdown before some of our neighbours while some good decisions were made during the crisis, it doesn't change the fact that we could have done better and we didnt need hindsight at the time to know that.

Monday, we will have another formal announcement on travel. We will be told not to travel yet our borders will remain open to the USA, Russia, Brazil etc even though every single Shengen member in the EU will keep them closed. Again, no hindsight necessary here. History is already replaying itself.

The lack of restrictions on travel has been the biggest mistake made, and unfortunately it looks like they haven't learned alright.

I dont have anywhere near the level of concern with an Irish person travelling to Spain as an American coming here. That said I wont go to spain because its going to be full of Brits. The US was quick to ban travel from the EU, but with the Virus still to hit its peak of cases in the US we shouldn't be allowing them travel, and if the government isn't doing it then Hotels should. I wouldn't stay in a Hotel that has recently arrived visitors from America

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement