Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

So on issues of whether to travel in a pandemic you would trust the chancers in ivy house over ya know, the actual chief medical officer....?
    So the ‘boards experts’ on here that are repeating The advice of the medical experts In relation to the current situation know less than you and your ability to look as far as 2024. Send me on the euromillions numbers for tonight when you get a chance.

I think I will listen to what people who know what they are talking about in relation to the short term instead of going on about writing off every summer for years, whatever that means, because a season cannot be “written off”

Then listen to the WHO and ECDCC, not the chief of one of the most dysfunctional healthcare systems in Europe

I’m all for completely unrestricted travel around Europe, including UK. But for the life of me can’t understand why we haven’t stopped travellers from the US.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wonder how it long it will be before Shengen EU issues a travel advisory not to visit Ireland given our borders are open to high risk countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

You either eradicate it and wait for everyone else to catch up or a vaccine or you have a long drawn out stop start disruption of the economy or you go Donald Trump style let it rip.

Have some sense?!!

Ok, I'll bite (it is Friday), how do you eradicate it???? BTW weeks/months of zero cases doesn't mean it's gone, just dormant, there's every chance it can reactivate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Why should we not travel. Just because "our experts" are advising against travel?. These are the same experts who are allowing Tourists from the U.S. and other hotspots of the virus to move freely around Kerry and other tourist spots. I would much rather risk catching Covid 19 while on holiday abroad in the sun than to get infected while being ripped off in the $h!te weather in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

faceman wrote: »
    I wonder how it long it will be before Shengen EU issues a travel advisory not to visit Ireland given our borders are open to high risk countries?

Already one out but it surrounds the 14 day self isolation. Non essential travel to Ireland is not recommended by a number of EU countries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spain and France on the U.K. safe list for travel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

They are already recommending against travel to Ireland: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/why-are-france-and-germany-advising-against-travel-to-ireland-1.4292700

Absolutely farcical that yet again we're Paddy-last, lagging behind what the rest of the EU are doing.
    Keeping borders locked to the U.S is also a mistake, if the Govt/HSE put staff at the airports doing temp checks and random testing we can open up one of our most important markets for trade and tourism: https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-08/Rome-airport-uses-smart-helmets-to-scan-temperatures-Qj3z8PiqwU/index.html

By the way NPHET are made up of Civil Servants, all on the HSE payroll, they are not leading edge experts in the medical field. So they should be taking advice from those who are in the ECDC/WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’m all for completely unrestricted travel around Europe, including UK. But for the life of me can’t understand why we haven’t stopped travellers from the US.

I’m not.
    Travel should come with some level of restrictions and need for compliance.

A simple one is passing a Covid test 2/3 days prior to the outbound journey you are taking. This can be self funded as those tests are not expensive.
    The results can be part of the check in procedure, or admission to the airport.

Temperature checks on all inbound passengers.
    Swabbing planes surfaces for Covid Before cleaning.

Insisting travelers have an up to date tracking app installed on their phone that covers the EU.

Things that dont take huge amounts of effort, but can be very valuable.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Why should we not travel. Just because "our experts" are advising against travel?. These are the same experts who are allowing Tourists from the U.S. and other hotspots of the virus to move freely around Kerry and other tourist spots. I would much rather risk catching Covid 19 while on holiday abroad in the sun than to get infected while being ripped off in the $h!te weather in Ireland.

Hows about just not contracting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

Find it strange that government telling not to travel, on the other hand letting planes fly to great destinations for holiday. Waving with the price and telling you not to take it takes willpower that people after months of lockdown don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

What's the story with Greece,is Ireland on its no need to quarantine on arrival list?
    Or are they waiting for us to lift ours?

I've no qualms personally about flying once I'm washing my hands and social distancing
    Regardless of the rules, I am in a position to self isolate on return as I work at home

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's looking increasingly like the advice against non essential travel, and a 14 day quarantine will be removed on Wednesday, for a list of countries that will include Spain, France, Italy, and Germany.

I suspect this will come along with a big political campaign that will still make people wary of travel.

We will be told "yes you are allowed, but we would kindly ask that you seriously consider if you should. And if you do, we would ask you to take all the precautions you can, and if possible when you come home consider a voluntary isolation period, or at least stay away from vulnerable people".

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

spockety wrote: »
    It's looking increasingly like the advice against non essential travel, and a 14 day quarantine will be removed on Wednesday, for a list of countries that will include Spain, France, Italy, and Germany.

I suspect this will come along with a big political campaign that will still make people wary of travel.

We will be told "yes you are allowed, but we would kindly ask that you seriously consider if you should. And if you do, we would ask you to take all the precautions you can, and if possible when you come home consider a voluntary isolation period, or at least stay away from vulnerable people".

That's fine for me... more coherent than the current position anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So the ‘boards experts’ on here that are repeating The advice of the medical experts In relation to the current situation know less than you and your ability to look as far as 2024. Send me on the euromillions numbers for tonight when you get a chance.

I think I will listen to what people who know what they are talking about in relation to the short term instead of going on about writing off every summer for years, whatever that means, because a season cannot be “written off”

You must he very naive or don’t come on boards much. There’s merchants on here that if we had zero cases it will be “ but but but don’t travel. Incase it comes back we are doing great with zero cases”. Btw my post is nothing to do with medical experts it’s the boards experts i’m talking about.

You seem like a know all on here so you must be right.

I actually done the euromillions but i’ll be keepng my numbers a secret but 19 certainly won’t be one of the numbers! ;-)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You must he very naive or don’t come on boards much. There’s merchants on here that if we had zero cases it will be “ but but but don’t travel. Incase it comes back we are doing great with zero cases”. Btw my post is nothing to do with medical experts it’s the boards experts i’m talking about.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Spain and France on the U.K. safe list for travel

Northern Ireland did not sign off on Boris travel plans.
    Instead optioning to align with the republic on travel bridges.
    On another bit of gossip I read in an EU blog page,
    A EU diplomat who prefers to remain anonymous, I'm March Ireland was giving the option to close it's borders in inline with the rest of the EU it was decided.
    A reminder was made in a following report in relation to the EU response to the crices that Ireland should not forget it is in the EU.
    The diplomat revealed that Ireland may need another reminder along with 2 other members that they are in the EU.
    A similar article was on euro news EU gossip feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Micky 32 wrote: »

I actually done the euromillions but i’ll be keepng my numbers a secret ;-)

yeah ive never in my life seen as many doom and gloom merchants as i have on this forum, quite incredible actually, these are the type of people who believe absolutely everything the government drip feed the public, they take this as gospel and wont consider the fact that what they are being told are not the full facts at all.

The government here have in effect made an absolute and utter fcuk up of things since it started, everything they've done has been far too late, look at how New Zealand handled it, they done everything right, but of course the government apologists wont hear of a bad word about them, this travel fiasco is just another in a long line of fcuk ups on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I think the game is up on the current position and Ireland will be forced to step into line with the rest of Europe. When did Ireland ever do a solo run? We honestly wouldn't have the balls here.:rolleyes:

Though I'd say the new crowd would love to keep us all locked in and play it ultra safe if they could get away with it. I got that impression from MMs interview on the news last night and also the new Education minister is sending out the cautious vibes re the return to school.

At this point in our successful suppression of the virus I think it's a huge affront to civil liberties to a] try to guilt trip people into not travelling which is exactly what the Media is doing and b] to impose a blanket 14 day quarantine. 14 days is excessive and unworkable for the majority, and also unnecessary for those coming from safer areas. It should be a matter of personal responsibility, end of.

There will be huge pressure from many quarters to allow unrestricted travel just as there was pressure on the last Govt to accelerate opening up. Pressure to which they acceded. Whether the new Govt will be bullish or amenable remains to be seen. I'd say they'll err on the latter but I could be wrong.

The American Football College game what was due to be held at the end of August has been cancelled, but there is no talk of the 40,000 visitors that were due to travel being restricted or stopped from travelling. Visitors that would be taking a week or two and travelling the country before or after the game

Its very likely that by the end of August the US will still be seeing very high numbers and we will be in single figures or have regular zeros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

jonnny68 wrote: »
    yeah ive never in my life seen as many doom and gloom merchants as i have on this forum, quite incredible actually, these are the type of people who believe absolutely everything the government drip feed the public, they take this as gospel and wont consider the fact that what they are being told are not the full facts at all.

The great thing is that the hysteria-merchants can remain locked away in their fear-caves while the rest of us jet off to sunnier climes. We won't have them taking up the deckchairs or beach space when we get there either.

Everyone's a winner.

The great thing is that the hysteria-merchants can remain locked away in their fear-caves while the rest of us jet off to sunnier climes. We won't have them taking up the deckchairs or beach space when we get there either.

Everyone's a winner.

Not really
    You'll meet restrictions abroad too especially Spain
    Expect less than half the usual number of deck chairs etc

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Not really

Recent reports suggest otherwise, restrictions yes, but can live with them (honestly we should have the same), certainly looks like there's no shortage of deckchairs, loungers.

bladespin wrote: »
    Recent reports suggest otherwise, restrictions yes, but can live with them (honestly we should have the same), certainly looks like there's no shortage of deckchairs, loungers.

Obviously plenty now
    But when mass travel gears up
    You may bring your own...or get up early

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Not really

I think we'll manage.

Obviously plenty now

I doubt it'll be a big problem, our regular haunt is well stocked even at the height or 'normal' season.
    Not braggin but we have our own of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Edo20

spockety wrote: »

Yeh - the mixed messaging on all of this has been desperate.

We are booked to travel to France in September by ferry.

We go every year. I book and pay for the next years straight after we come back to take advantage of early bird bookings. so this years is all paid for ages ago.

Im in a real quandry about whether we will go now.

Im not too worried about the holiday itself. We stay in a little house beside the beach. We're not really pub/bar people anymore so a 10 days of lying on a beach, going for walks or just lazing around reading a book is grand by us and a trip or 2 to the Supermarche fully masked for supplies is perfectly dooable with the minimum of interaction with others. As regards the travel element - it will be on our own car and the Ferry will be straight to the cabin for the duration....its the Brittany ferries economy ferry so there is f.all to do except go your cabin or take in some fresh air anyway.

I've been on to Brittany Ferries and in fairness to them - they totally get it and have offered to allow me postpone until next year if that is what it comes to.

I think our issues about going are with what is happening domestically here in Ireland. Im daily staggered at the level of nonchalance and care free attitude to all levels of mask wearing, santising and social distancing - its practically non existent now in anybody under the age of 60 and people with small children seem to have a special dispensation to let them run wild in shops and not to wear masks (the adults).............after a couple of months of this - I'll be more worried about bringing it over France from here than the other way around at the rate things are going.....yet Im being harangued from a height by many of the same non mask wearing non social distancing know-it-alls for even considering going on a holiday outside this country......

I really shouldn't be surprised at the state of chassis this country now finds itself in over Covid. Closing everything down was the easy bit - reopening in a new world that requires us to do things in a controlled manner and take responsibility does not suit us at all. We Irish operate as low Frequency Anarchists at the best of times (ie ....we take the law as a general guideline to be bent,finessed and simply ignored when it doesn't personally suit us) - I've always been kind of reassured by this behaviour- tho maddening to me at times - as it makes full on extreme political ideology like communism or fasicism a practical impossibility here as getting that any of us to walk in a straight line together is not happening.....on the other hand it makes the kind of collective action and responsibility required to take on Covid and keep it down a real real challenge for us and , at the moment, we are living on the Lockdown aftermath - but have done nothing to prepare for living with this disease in a fully functioning society. No real point blaming the Goverment or the State as they are reflective our general " wanting our cake and wanting to eat it too" attitude...... we are not prepared to live in the Cov-id world yet so I can see why our medical fraternity are sh^tting themselves over a second wave.

We are not doing airport checks properly - we are not doing quarantining properly - we've wound down the track and trace facility cos it never really worked properly in the first place and our health service is still as fragile as it ever was..... but we do not have enough community compliance with Covid suppression measures to compensate for any of the above - if anything its getting worse with widespread ignorance of the messaging - so we probably are a ticking timebomb that is going to explode in the late autumn regardless of whether another person steps off a plane here or not.........

Finally - both myself and missus are Airport workers of 20 years experience. This might be our last holiday for a long long time as we are , from an employment point of view, walking the green mile at the moment - the unemployment fallout from the Aviation and associated sectors in the Autumn is going to be horrendous too.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've mentioned this previously but perhaps on another thread, I get the government advice but lay down the law, if they are genuine, cancel all inward and outward, that way all us with bookings get a refund or if acceptable push out till next year. its the allowing inwards, but ooh no you cant go anywhere is grinding my gears !

I think personal responsibility needs to play its part, like you going to france, I dont see the risk if you behave responsibly.

We're the same, we're booked for Lanzarote, if Ryanair tell me look you can take a refund, I'll stay, but otherwise
    I'm going. Private small complex apartment booked, Own Beach Loungers and Brollies booked for two weeks that we can
    carry down to beach (less than 100m) not really pub goers, enjoy evening meal out alright, we might get few more takeaways and have on patio at apartment, had no plans for car hire this year but with such good deals available might just book one too to avoid cab both ways, that just leaves plane and airport which it is what it is, its a risk i'm happy to take, some form of life must continue, this is going to be around for a long time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Edo20 wrote: »
    we are living on the Lockdown aftermath - but have done nothing to prepare for living with this disease in a fully functioning society. No real point blaming the Goverment or the State as they are reflective our general " wanting our cake and wanting to eat it too" attitude...... we are not prepared to live in the Cov-id world yet so I can see why our medical fraternity are sh^tting themselves over a second wave.

Just a point on not blaming the Government, when the lockdown began we all locked ourselves in, having seen the pictures from the worst impacted area in northern Italy.
    So we locked ourselves at home, left our jobs, friends, relatives and everything that made life normal.

Now I listened to a Doctor from Tallaght hospital on the Tonight show on VM1, he says there's now 135 people on trolleys, beds full, yet all elective procedures are still cancelled, he says if we get more Covid spikes they won't be able to cope...!
    I mean what did the HSE do to improve this while we were all locked at home? Nothing!
    Now we're all instructed not to leave the Island because of the HSE failures?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Obviously plenty now

Oh that's put me off now.

If pool is full and no chairs left, il go to the beach

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement